View Full Version : Streetcar

jedicurt
02-01-2019, 08:57 AM
The fair will show up on the token transit app for 1 hour after you activate it (It really should be 1.5 hours to make lunch trips more reasonable).

Also I know transfers are not ideal but if you got in at myriad and got off at the federal court house stop. You could walk across the street and get on heading south at the memorial stop and avoid midtown and cut off most of that extra time

yep... i do this type of stuff all the time on the BART and SF metro when i'm in the bay area, to minimize time getting somewhere.

Jeepnokc
02-01-2019, 09:13 AM
$1 per hour $3 for 24 hrs.

I agree that maybe the bricktown loop should be considered for operation during the week. I think people would use it pretty regularly. That being said, if you want to avoid riding the entire downtown loop to get to Bricktown, instead of getting on at the Myriad Gardens Stop, you cold walk through the park to the Century Center Stop.

Even if they only ran the BT loop during lunch time would make it more useful. More likely to get Devon and all the ghost people working in the BOK building to use it for lunch in BT. We are in film row, if we are walking to Century center, we are walking 2/3 of the way to ride the last third to the BT stop. Might as well walk the entire way at that point. Catching it coming back though is great.

It will be great for conventioners and those staying at hotels downtown and I am glad they have them but not real practical to use instead of just jumping in the car.

TheSteveHunt
02-01-2019, 09:19 AM
Trickle-down transit. When will we ever learn?

shawnw
02-01-2019, 01:30 PM
If you haven't seen all the press, for the month of February, all fares in the Token Transit app are half off. So, I rode the bus this morning for .88. But that also means you could get a streetcar annual pass for $150 this month.

Ross MacLochness
02-01-2019, 01:33 PM
All fares are half off, but from what I understand, you can only use the discount one time. So if you are gonna use the discount, it would be worth it to pick up a month or year pass rather than spend the discount on a single ride.

shawnw
02-01-2019, 02:20 PM
well crud. you're absolutely right. I definitely wouldn't have used that on my bus fare this morning, but I didn't see a way to choose not to (but didn't look hard). gah.

kukblue1
02-02-2019, 09:24 AM
I know it's only been one day but has anyone been asked to show a fare yet?

shawnw
02-02-2019, 12:48 PM
Rode it to Bricktown and back, no issues. I had bought fares on the app, but no challenges today. Volunteers were out though to help folks with that.

Laramie
02-03-2019, 06:32 PM
They'll need to work out the kinks with the streetcar system; hopefully the weather warms between now and March; it's no fund at those stops with the actual times not in sync with schedules or possibly the apt used.

Pryor Tiger
02-04-2019, 06:58 AM
well crud. you're absolutely right. I definitely wouldn't have used that on my bus fare this morning, but I didn't see a way to choose not to (but didn't look hard). gah.

Shawn you've been a big supporter - just message Michael Scroggins and I bet they can hook you up with 1/2 off a monthly or annual pass :)

Urban Pioneer
02-04-2019, 11:34 AM
I just wanted to report that Inhave ridden the streetcar several times since February 1st. The automated green lights have helped completely change the experience going southbound on Robinson. It’s fun to watch them jump to green. A much improved experience overall actually. We had full trains Saturday and the system was handleling the load well. I’d like to do five more at the most problematic remaining areas if we’re going to do this in increments.

shawnw
02-04-2019, 08:31 PM
Shawn you've been a big supporter - just message Michael Scroggins and I bet they can hook you up with 1/2 off a monthly or annual pass :)

I did hit him up and he reminded me that I actually had a different kind of pass discount pending for being a token transit beta tester. I have since gotten that and am very pleased.

dankrutka
02-04-2019, 09:01 PM
A car ran a red light and hit a streetcar tonight: https://twitter.com/WILLIAMCRUM/status/1092632126032408576

It's really requires some negligent driving (or of course some kind of medical condition, hopefully not) to hit a streetcar. Seems everyone's okay.

TheTravellers
02-05-2019, 09:51 AM
A car ran a red light and hit a streetcar tonight: https://twitter.com/WILLIAMCRUM/status/1092632126032408576

It's really requires some negligent driving (or of course some kind of medical condition, hopefully not) to hit a streetcar. Seems everyone's okay.

We have that negligent (actually, entitled is what it should be called) driving here a-plenty, it's not that unusual. Every single commute on every single day, no matter if it's just a mile or 20 miles, I see at least one car blow through a red light when they have plenty of time to stop. Hence, entitled. Saw an SUV (seems like most offenders are of that variety) blow through a red light on 30th/May going south, then go 40 through the school zone in front of Taft, *then* blow through the red light on 23rd/May. Wish I had a paintball gun with me in the car....

Having said that, we're thinking about trying the streetcar when we eat in Midtown, then go to the Civic Center on 2/23, but not sure if the wait times will be accurate/stable enough. Need to balance out getting to the stop too early and sitting at the Civic Center for way too long, and also don't want to miss the first part of the ballet by getting to the stop at a reasonable time, then finding out it's going to take 30 minutes for the streetcar to get there instead of 5. Think things will be flowing smoothly enough for wait times to be accurate by then? Might just also park in the middle and walk to both places, depending on the weather...

Pryor Tiger
02-05-2019, 10:03 AM
We have that negligent (actually, entitled is what it should be called) driving here a-plenty, it's not that unusual. Every single commute on every single day, no matter if it's just a mile or 20 miles, I see at least one car blow through a red light when they have plenty of time to stop. Hence, entitled. Saw an SUV (seems like most offenders are of that variety) blow through a red light on 30th/May going south, then go 40 through the school zone in front of Taft, *then* blow through the red light on 23rd/May. Wish I had a paintball gun with me in the car....

Having said that, we're thinking about trying the streetcar when we eat in Midtown, then go to the Civic Center on 2/23, but not sure if the wait times will be accurate/stable enough. Need to balance out getting to the stop too early and sitting at the Civic Center for way too long, and also don't want to miss the first part of the ballet by getting to the stop at a reasonable time, then finding out it's going to take 30 minutes for the streetcar to get there instead of 5. Think things will be flowing smoothly enough for wait times to be accurate by then? Might just also park in the middle and walk to both places, depending on the weather...

So this should work extremely well with a minor adjustment - get off at the Business District stop and walk about 2-3 blocks to the civic center will ensure your trip there is pretty fast. The app will show times to get on the platform after dinner so you can wait til nearly the last minute.

After the show, you could also pull the app and wait times up, get to the when it says about 3-4 minutes away and it won't be far off. Use the library platform and it would take about 5 minutes to walk there max. From there you are looking at about 8 stops only to get back into midtown!

I personally have found that the longer the wait time listed the further off it can be - if it is under 10 minutes on the board it tends to be very close to that.

TheTravellers
02-05-2019, 10:30 AM
So this should work extremely well with a minor adjustment - get off at the Business District stop and walk about 2-3 blocks to the civic center will ensure your trip there is pretty fast. The app will show times to get on the platform after dinner so you can wait til nearly the last minute.

After the show, you could also pull the app and wait times up, get to the when it says about 3-4 minutes away and it won't be far off. Use the library platform and it would take about 5 minutes to walk there max. From there you are looking at about 8 stops only to get back into midtown!

I personally have found that the longer the wait time listed the further off it can be - if it is under 10 minutes on the board it tends to be very close to that.

Absolutely, we'd get off at the Business District stop, it'd be silly to ride it all the way around just so we didn't have to walk the extra 2 blocks. :) We walk as much as possible, and if the weather's nice, might just walk from Fassler Hall to the Civic Center. After the show, not worried about timing, we just want to minimize the slack time between finishing up at Fassler and the Civic Center without undue hassle. Guess I need to download the app and see if it will work on an ancient Android 4 phone...

Ross MacLochness
02-05-2019, 01:48 PM
rode today and the new synchronized green lights on Robinson work wonders!!

kukblue1
02-13-2019, 06:17 PM
Haven't rode since Feb 1st. So are they checking fares?

shawnw
02-13-2019, 09:13 PM
I haven't been checked, but Michael Scroggins said on Twitter that they are testing beacons for Token Transit.

Ross MacLochness
02-14-2019, 09:52 AM
Haven't rode since Feb 1st. So are they checking fares?

Yes, I've been asked twice to show my fare. On the other hand, I was showing someone from out of town around on Friday and she didn't pay the fare either time and was never asked.

Jersey Boss
02-14-2019, 10:00 AM
Yes, I've been asked twice to show my fare. On the other hand, I was showing someone from out of town around on Friday and she didn't pay the fare either time and was never asked.

This comment made me think that out of state residents should be exempt from the fare by showing an out of state dl/id.

okccowan
02-14-2019, 11:44 AM
My son's fourth grade class (John Rex) took a trip to the Memorial this morning. My wife went with them. They were excited to ride the Streetcar. They rode to the Memorial okay, but after the visit they waited over 30 minutes for a Streetcar, with no updates on the sign. They actually decided to walk back to John Rex instead of continuing to wait for the Streetcar.

TheTravellers
02-14-2019, 11:50 AM
My son's fourth grade class (John Rex) took a trip to the Memorial this morning. My wife went with them. They were excited to ride the Streetcar. They rode to the Memorial okay, but after the visit they waited over 30 minutes for a Streetcar, with no updates on the sign. They actually decided to walk back to John Rex instead of continuing to wait for the Streetcar.

Honestly, cannot believe this is still happening. We are not the first city to ever build a streetcar, why don't/didn't we learn from what other cities did and follow their good practices and not repeat their mistakes? Completely not ready for prime-time if this kind of thing is still an occurrence, however infrequently.

TheSteveHunt
02-14-2019, 01:23 PM

Bad day for the trickle down transit machine!

Plutonic Panda
02-14-2019, 06:18 PM
This comment made me think that out of state residents should be exempt from the fare by showing an out of state dl/id.
If anything it should be the opposite though I am against free service with few exceptions for students and the disadvantaged/low income.

shawnw
02-18-2019, 10:02 AM
https://twitter.com/benfelder_okc/status/1097479523048800256

interesting thread about daily ridership

Pete
02-18-2019, 10:15 AM
^

If I read that correctly, the system is averaging less than 100 riders per day.

From that thread for comparison:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/streetcarriders.jpg

hfry
02-18-2019, 10:16 AM
Pete I believe it's saying 600 a day.

Pete
02-18-2019, 10:18 AM
Pete I believe it's saying 600 a day.

You're right; Holt saying 600 per weekday but higher on weekends (although now not operating on Sunday).

hfry
02-18-2019, 10:21 AM
Yes, I'm curious what the average daily is with weekends included. Also from the graph I'm curious if that is their riderships a few months after launch or just ridership in general. This spring and summer with be the true test on how smooth operations run and how ridership increases.

aDark
02-18-2019, 10:22 AM
This is pretty confusing.

Pete
02-18-2019, 10:33 AM
I'm sure ridership will improve as the various areas continue to develop.

And you would think that the Omni and Convention Center opening would lead lots of visitors to the streetcar.

Ross MacLochness
02-18-2019, 10:42 AM
The streetcar is so much faster and a much more enjoyable ride now as compared to a couple of weeks ago thanks to signal prioritization, not stopping at all stops, and aggressive driving. I was so pleased when I rode on Saturday!

Ross MacLochness
02-18-2019, 10:43 AM
You're right; Holt saying 600 per weekday but higher on weekends (although now not operating on Sunday).

?? Streetcar operates on Sunday and will continue to do so.

David
02-18-2019, 10:47 AM
Yeah, I was in Bricktown on Sunday for a movie at Harkins, and they were active the entire time we were in the area.

Ross MacLochness
02-18-2019, 10:52 AM
Also, I suspect ridership will greatly increase once the weather warms up. It's been frigid lately! I rode on Thursday when it was mid 60s out and ridership seemed way higher than average based on my own experience ( I ride all the time)

shawnw
02-18-2019, 10:59 AM
Sunday service is now permanent

Laramie
02-18-2019, 11:03 AM
Weather since the opening of the streetcar has not been favorable toward the rollout; overall ridership will get better.

You will see the full potential of the streetcar once OKC completes construction of major core projects (Convention center, Omni, Scissortail Park, CC garage).

hoya
02-18-2019, 11:22 AM
It's been too damn cold to ride it lately.

Ross MacLochness
02-18-2019, 11:39 AM
Also, it would be good to keep in mind that those other cities have a way higher pool of potential riders then we do at this time. We just don't have as many people downtown milling about. Tuscon isn't super populated downtown but their streetcar connects to the university which would boost ridership as many college kids rely on other modes besides car ridership.

BoulderSooner
02-18-2019, 01:00 PM

It is absolutely operational on Sunday. It has been closed on 1 Sunday since launch

Pete
02-18-2019, 01:19 PM
Okay, okay.... 3 people have mentioned full-time Sunday now.

My mistake!

BoulderSooner
02-18-2019, 01:50 PM
Okay, okay.... 3 people have mentioned full-time Sunday now.

My mistake!
Lol. No big deal.

I will also say that currently it is 11am-7pm on Sunday. But it moves to normal hours starting in April

Midtowner
02-18-2019, 02:08 PM
There is a lot of room for improvement with transit times. Cars are still stopping and sitting at every stop whether or not someone has requested a stop or whether or not there is someone waiting to board. It could MUCH more efficiently get you from A to B. I've purchased a February pass and try to use it as much as I can. Once you figure out that there are several northbound stops located a block or two from southbound stops, you can utilize the system much more effectively. For example, to get to the courthouse, I board at Dewey, exit at the Business District, then to go back northbound, I'll board over at the library stop. This was a pretty thoughtfully designed system. It's going to take some faith on our part that the development will come, and a little more faith from us that the operators and riders are going to become much more efficient.

BBatesokc
02-18-2019, 07:14 PM

Slowed things down for awhile after work today. Not sure how long the Streetcars had to stop for this accident, but I passed by twice and they were still sitting there.

Mott
02-19-2019, 12:04 PM
Walking around Myriad Gardens Sunday morning, and two streetcars met at Robinson and Sheridan. After finally getting the light the downtown loop car advanced to stop in front of the convention center. The brick town car got it’s signal but had nowhere to go following the already stopped car. The whole intersection was tied up until the DT loop advanced. The downtown loop ought to have a separate non bricktown route when bricktown is running.

David
02-22-2019, 01:56 PM
https://twitter.com/davidfholt/status/1099042765382537216

That might do it. #ClarityInCommunication

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D0CVkNwWsAIKUve?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Plutonic Panda
02-22-2019, 03:19 PM
Easier solution: remove the parking and convert it into protected bike lanes.

Jersey Boss
02-22-2019, 03:41 PM

:congrats:

OKC Guy
02-22-2019, 05:02 PM

Not good for business

Jersey Boss
02-22-2019, 05:43 PM
Not good for business

Multiple studies have refuted your opinion.
https://www.citylab.com/solutions/2015/03/the-complete-business-case-for-converting-street-parking-into-bike-lanes/387595/

Uptowner
02-22-2019, 06:07 PM
https://www.citylab.com/solutions/2015/03/the-complete-business-case-for-converting-street-parking-into-bike-lanes/387595/

Also logic and common sense refute that opinion.

OKC Guy
02-22-2019, 08:18 PM

Over half the reviews from this 2015 article were overseas. The rest were larger metro areas with more high rises in their core like SF, LA and NYC. Its not an apples to apples comparison.

Are there any OKC studies? We are a different type ciry.

How about we go a step more and ban all traffic within a 4 mile square of downtown? That will get poeple to ride the SC right? This city is still car centric and needs to still respect that fact. Just because some downtowners want to basically outlaw them the 7/8th’s majority rest of city does not

Plutonic Panda
02-22-2019, 09:42 PM
^^^^ how is banning traffic comparable to removing a parking lane and installing a protected bike lane?

OKC Guy
02-22-2019, 11:18 PM
^^^^ how is banning traffic comparable to removing a parking lane and installing a protected bike lane?

And how is London and Paris and LA and NY comparable to OKC as you linked?

Plutonic Panda
02-22-2019, 11:28 PM
And how is London and Paris and LA and NY comparable to OKC as you linked?
I didn't link anything. Those were examples used and have been shown to be true in many cases among OKC's peers.

When a new protected bike lane was installed on Broadway in Salt Lake City, sales on the street rose 8.8%, in spite of the fact that the bike lanes decreased on-street parking by 30%. Surveys of business owners along the street showed that a majority of them felt that the change was positive, and most of the remaining business owners felt neutral about it (see charts on the side, courtesy of People for Bikes).

- https://www.strongtowns.org/journal/2018/5/31/how-bike-lanes-benefit-businesses

I would say Salt Lake City can be used as a city closer to OKC than not rather than comparing OKC to London which Jersey was NOT trying to do, I'm sure,

Want to argue about Salt Lake?

Here's Memphis:

Chuck Marohn of Strong Towns told the story of a Memphis neighborhood where people, without authorization, spent $500 on paint and made their own bike lanes. Six months later, commercial rents on the strip had doubled, and all the storefronts – half of which had been vacant – were full.

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2013/03/08/bicycling-means-business-how-cycling-enriches-people-and-cities/

Now I am certainly not a fan of Streetstown, Strongtowns, or the like.... but in Downtown OKC I would rather follow a business model closer to London and if you want to argue about that there are a plethora of examples of towns just like OKC or smaller than can be used to show why removing on street parking for bike lanes won't harm business. We need to plan downtown OKC to sustain itself, not continue to rely on people from the suburbs to support it in order for it to have any life.

OKC Guy
02-23-2019, 08:47 AM
I didn't link anything. Those were examples used and have been shown to be true in many cases among OKC's peers.

I would say Salt Lake City can be used as a city closer to OKC than not rather than comparing OKC to London which Jersey was NOT trying to do, I'm sure,

Want to argue about Salt Lake?

Here's Memphis:

Now I am certainly not a fan of Streetstown, Strongtowns, or the like.... but in Downtown OKC I would rather follow a business model closer to London and if you want to argue about that there are a plethora of examples of towns just like OKC or smaller than can be used to show why removing on street parking for bike lanes won't harm business. We need to plan downtown OKC to sustain itself, not continue to rely on people from the suburbs to support it in order for it to have any life.

I could also find articles “kind” to the topic. The SLC article was written by a cycle club. I think I would need to research more in all similar city sizes.

On the topic of wanting downtown to sustain itself that is a falacy. Even big NYC relies on tourism and without it is not sustainable. And if they want pet projects why not create a tax zone where only downtown pays?

Thats the problem, Streetcar and other projects rely on us “outsiders” in other parts of OKC to help pay for pet projects fowntown. The position you take allienates outsiders like me. You want my money but not my input. If I can’t drive from outside of downtown and park close to a business then I won’t go downtown to spend my money.

Streetcar does zero for me. Its a great tourist ride which once convention and OMNI open will be useful. There are some it helps now but very few for the pricetag.

I hate seeing this take take take for the good of downtown. I like our city and do not want to be another city. I like smart projects and somce we already shut down roads and hurt business for years now you want to take away those businesses who want parking. Keep in mind before SC these businesses were told minimal impact and it would increase once done. Now you wanna take parking away. And are telling me as an out of downtowner my voice doesn’t matter but my tax dollars do. I also use my voting power and so do many others who are starting to tire of this downtown entitlement mentality.

Show me the OKC study on parking not other cities. We are 405 not SLC.

dankrutka
02-23-2019, 09:23 AM
How about we go a step more and ban all traffic within a 4 mile square of downtown?

Yaaaaasssss! Now we're talking. :p

kukblue1
02-23-2019, 10:12 AM
Anyone still riding this? I don't get downtown much mainly Thunder games but when I am it's looking pretty empty to me.

BBatesokc
02-23-2019, 11:14 AM
Anyone still riding this? I don't get downtown much mainly Thunder games but when I am it's looking pretty empty to me.

No idea what ridership numbers actually are. I see the Streetcars all day long out my window and during the weekdays they range from empty to very few people. But, it's been pointed out to me that apparently the streetcars are not for the people who actually work downtown all day every day. So, maybe what I'm seeing is to be expected.