View Full Version : Streetcar

fightlessllama
10-26-2018, 06:27 PM
https://i.imgur.com/sNOxNpS.jpg
It was hard to visualize a lot of the potential routes floating around in my head and how it could be possible to hit a lot of the districts. So I drew them out! Next I want to see how all the north bound routes could interact once they get up to Chesapeake, NW expressway, and the 63rd street train stop. (also my first post on the forum!)

dankrutka
10-28-2018, 10:18 AM
Nicely done and welcome! I like a lot of it. However, I don’t like running lines along highways. That’s what Dallas did with the DART Green Line/A-Train, which includes a lot of park and ride stops. As much as possible, lines should run through neighborhoods/main streets where organic growth can emerge around stops. Now, I know commuter lines make less stops so maybe that’s different, but OKC does NOT want what Dallas did IMHO.

baralheia
10-29-2018, 09:52 AM
https://i.imgur.com/sNOxNpS.jpg
It was hard to visualize a lot of the potential routes floating around in my head and how it could be possible to hit a lot of the districts. So I drew them out! Next I want to see how all the north bound routes could interact once they get up to Chesapeake, NW expressway, and the 63rd street train stop. (also my first post on the forum!)

Welcome to OKCTalk, and nice work! One thing to consider is that generally freight rail is a barrier to streetcars. For streetcars to cross freight rail/commuter rail lines at-grade, as shown on your envisioned Capitol Hill, Film Row-S Penn, and MLK lines, extremely expensive insurance policies are usually required - if the owner of the freight rail even allows the streetcar crossing in the first place. This is because streetcars are similar to light rail vehicles and are not built as strongly as freight/commuter vehicles, and almost any collision between the two would be catastrophic. One way around this would be grade separation - elevate one track over the other, or tunnel one under the other - but that can also be an expensive proposition. When our RTA is up and running (hopefully soon!), there will no doubt be considerable time and attention given to figuring out the best way to bring streetcar service down into Capitol Hill / S OKC. Any solution is likely going to cost a tidy sum, unfortunately - but these areas would benefit greatly from the service so I think it's worth it. It may just take a long while before it happens.

Nicely done and welcome! I like a lot of it. However, I don’t like running lines along highways. That’s what Dallas did with the DART Green Line/A-Train, which includes a lot of park and ride stops. As much as possible, lines should run through neighborhoods/main streets where organic growth can emerge around stops. Now, I know commuter lines make less stops so maybe that’s different, but OKC does NOT want what Dallas did IMHO.

It's important to remember that commuter rail is designed to use and coexist with existing freight rail infrastructure - and by and large, our freight rail infrastructure follows our highways in the Metro. Commuter rail is intended for longer range transportation with more distance between stops, like the planned Edmond - OKC - Norman line. Streetcars and busses are more suited to a neighborhood growth / TOD model.

Pete
10-29-2018, 04:29 PM

Great job and welcome!

kukblue1
10-30-2018, 09:16 AM
So is the bricktown loop only going to be on weekends? I hope this isn't the case but that is what I have heard. If so I would hope they would run it on Thunder game nights during the week also. Who wants to go all the way to midtown first to get to bricktown after a game?

dankrutka
10-30-2018, 11:48 AM
Well, it's a pretty short route in general... but, more than that, aside from people who may have some disability or injury, how many people are waiting more than 30 seconds to ride a streetcar to go the 1-3 blocks to Bricktown?

Ross MacLochness
10-30-2018, 01:25 PM
also, if ya walk one block north, you could hop on a bricktown inbound car

HOT ROD
10-30-2018, 11:21 PM
That had been my working assumption, but Hot Rod's post made me wonder if I had missed something.

Streetcar clearance. :)

Urban Pioneer
10-31-2018, 11:07 AM
During most periods, five streetcars will be operating. B Line trains simply augment D line trains to increase frequency in Bricktown. Weekends will have a pretty steady service level. Trams 6 and 7 can be activated for additional capacity, particularly during Thunder games.

Urban Pioneer
10-31-2018, 11:17 AM
We’ve conducted some pretty cool tests the past two weeks including putting trains at different points of the system and forcing our transformer banks to blink out while simultaneously accelerating all trains from a dead stop. The system has handled the enormous strain and functioned flawlessly.

Pete
11-01-2018, 10:04 AM
City to vote on making the streetcar free for the first 3 weeks of operation. This is on the COTPA agenda then would go to city council for final approval.

In effort to promote and introduce the new OKC Streetcar service to central
Oklahoma residents, Downtown visitors and employees, staff seeks authorization to
allow free Streetcar, CIRC and Zone 1a ADA paratransit rides the first three weeks
of the new service launch.

Staff is planning the launch of Streetcar service to occur on Friday, December 14,
2018, pending concurrance with the Oklahoma Department of Transportation
(ODOT) State Safety Oversight Office. Free service would be December 14, 2018
through January 5, 2019, or during the first three weeks of new service.

Anonymous.
11-01-2018, 10:09 AM
Wish it was months instead of weeks, but this is a start. Would love to see some corporate sponsorship come in and continue free service.

Zuplar
11-01-2018, 10:16 AM
Excellent. That's a start.

Laramie
11-01-2018, 01:16 PM
My concern about a free streetcar ride is vagrants will remain there all day; it will kill the ridership. Regardless, we need to make sure patrons are using the streetcar for a day ride shelter; especially in times of inclement weather.

CloudDeckMedia
11-01-2018, 01:38 PM
My concern about a free streetcar ride is vagrants will remain there all day; it will kill the ridership. Regardless, we need to make sure patrons are using the streetcar for a day ride shelter; especially in times of inclement weather.

Being the first impression, I'd expect a lot of hands-on attention from EMBARK, OCPD and others to keep the cars clean, schedules on time, maintenance problems minimal.

Pete
11-01-2018, 03:16 PM
Just FYI, when LA started it's light rail/subway they didn't even have turnstiles or anyone really checking tickets. They only got serious a few years after the system had been up and running.

And this was LA and the first lines ran through some pretty rough areas.

Yet, things were fine. They had a decent law enforcement presense and you soon realize 99.9% of homeless people are harmless.

Bullbear
11-01-2018, 03:27 PM
Just FYI, when LA started it's light rail/subway they didn't even have turnstiles or anyone really checking tickets. They only got serious a few years after the system had been up and running.

And this was LA and the first lines ran through some pretty rough areas.

Yet, things were fine. They had a decent law enforcement presense and you soon realize 99.9% of homeless people are harmless. OKC wants to be big but also wants to live in a suburban bubble where everyone is afraid of homeless people and people who don't look like them. I see change in some areas and hope that progresses.

Pete
11-01-2018, 03:39 PM
"The Chariot of the People" is what they call mass transit.

In general, a big part of the divide in this country is because we don't interact with each other, especially those different than us. And it's exactly why I've always loved public transportation.

Ross MacLochness
11-01-2018, 03:46 PM
^^public square on wheels!

Midtowner
11-01-2018, 04:13 PM

This is a pretty awful attitude. You might have to share a car with someone who doesn't have the luxury of a regular place to bathe and wash clothes? These look like big enough cars. Most of the regular downtown OKC homeless folks pretty much stay to themselves and don't bother anyone.

jccouger
11-01-2018, 04:18 PM
People will be afraid to ride the street car because a homeless person might be on?

Good.

I'd rather sit next to a homeless person than the person afraid of the homeless person.

Laramie
11-01-2018, 05:24 PM
Come on guys, I'm not afraid of homeless or vagrants--donate to shelters (money, clothing, appliances) and give money to street individuals frequently. Just my concern if you make the streetcar ride a freebee you could attact a certain clientele; he/she may want to stay on the streetcar all day.

Our goal is to make the streetcar rollout a success; plan for any unforeseen concerns where we don't discourage ridership.

Don't know if we have an established written code of conduct for the streetcars. Embark has something that governs the buses.

Kansas City Streetcar (Code of Conduct): http://kcstreetcar.org/how-to-ride/code-of-conduct/

Plutonic Panda
11-01-2018, 06:46 PM
People will be afraid to ride the street car because a homeless person might be on?

Good.

I'd rather sit next to a homeless person than the person afraid of the homeless person.
LOL. Do me a favor then, will you come to LA and ride the red line with me so you can sit in between me and the homeless person? I'll sit one seat over so you don't have to sit next to me. I mean, I'm not 'afraid' of riding next to homeless people, but my point is tread carefully here. Smoking crack, smelling like they bathed in a sewer, sh!t and piss in their pants, screaming obscenities. . . if the OKC homeless don't do this, then that's a new one. Even DART has this issue.

d-usa
11-01-2018, 06:50 PM
And every Oklahoma conservative is a racist homophobia Islam hating asshole, and every Oklahoma liberal is a baby killing doped up Christian hating hippie.

Since we are throwing stereotypes around.

GoThunder
11-01-2018, 07:08 PM
This escalated quickly. Let’s just say the ~95% of people riding the streetcar who have visited or lived in larger cities and participated in mass transit probably won’t think twice about it. The other 5%, for whom this will be their first mass transit experience will either 1) be disgusted and stop riding or 2) shrug it off and continue riding.

Rover
11-01-2018, 07:17 PM
This is what urban life is about. It isn’t just cool people riding around on neat chic streetcars to get to great restaurants, pubs and breweries. Mass trans is public and can be gritty. I think a lot of people romanticize real urban living. It isn’t Disneyland, it is real.

Plutonic Panda
11-01-2018, 07:33 PM
This escalated quickly. Let’s just say the ~95% of people riding the streetcar who have visited or lived in larger cities and participated in mass transit probably won’t think twice about it. The other 5%, for whom this will be their first mass transit experience will either 1) be disgusted and stop riding or 2) shrug it off and continue riding.
I live in the second largest city in the U.S. People in large urban cities deal with it because they have to. There are discussion all the time about how to do away with it because it does bother people. Ridership is down in LA while the system has expanded(not uncommon in many large America cities). The migrants have been causing problems and if you followed updates from major urban areas and their issues, this issue is in fact just that, an issue. It makes a lot of people mad or uncomfortable, there are altercations that occasionally break out, there are very heated town halls because no one wants the homeless shelters in their neighborhoods, there was recently a possibility brought up by Metro that showers and bathrooms would be installed in transit stations and there was a huge uproar as people instantly point to the homeless abusing it and/or being attracted(ala, we don't want more homeless people on our trains and in our transit stations is how I read it) to it. . . I mean I can on and on here.

You make it seemed as if 'the big city folks' don't care about it and are used to it. Well, yeah ,they're used to it(just like traffic), but that doesn't mean they don't have a problem with it. Obviously all homeless people aren't causing problems, but a very sizable amount of homeless people do and it's an issue that needs to be brought attention. I see no wrong doing on Laramie's part in asking what they plan to do, because it is an issue. Just telling people in advance to not worry about it and citing homeless people that don't cause an issue is a sorry way of going about answering that. Even worse if that really is the plan.

Plutonic Panda
11-01-2018, 07:35 PM
This is what urban life is about. It isn’t just cool people riding around on neat chic streetcars to get to great restaurants, pubs and breweries. Mass trans is public and can be gritty. I think a lot of people romanticize real urban living. It isn’t Disneyland, it is real.
Yeah, it's prevalent in large urban cities. So what's your point?

Paseofreak
11-01-2018, 08:06 PM
The migrants have been causing problems
Huh?

Plutonic Panda
11-01-2018, 08:09 PM
Huh?
I don't know why I said migrants... I confused the word with vagrant. :P

dankrutka
11-01-2018, 10:08 PM
Smoking crack, smelling like they bathed in a sewer, sh!t and piss in their pants, screaming obscenities. . . if the OKC homeless don't do this, then that's a new one. Even DART has this issue.

I ride the DART every week and can't think of any time of ever seeing a person smoke crack or scream obscenities. Yes, some people who are homeless smell. It's not that big of a deal.

Dustin
11-01-2018, 10:16 PM
Homeless people smell? You don't say!

Plutonic Panda
11-01-2018, 10:18 PM
I see it everyday on the red line in LA.

It doesn’t happen as much on DART, but I’ve persoanlly witness it happen. It’s daily in Los Angeles and many large cities.

You say it’s not a big deal, Los Angeles is spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to install odor neutralizers in the red and purple lines. BARTand muni are suffering from the same thing as well. It is a big deal for many people. It’s unsanitary.

Plutonic Panda
11-01-2018, 10:23 PM
Homeless people smell? You don't say!

And obstruct ROW, and act disorderly, and piss and sh!t on the seats and in the sidewalks... I’m not going to go any further than this.

It’s nice to know OKC has been shielded thus far from many of the realities that have emburdened communities that suffer from this issue. I am not making fun of or trying to put down the homeless. I am pointing things that happen in major cities. Dallas doesn’t suffer as bad and Dan was quick to pick apart a small detail from my post as I probably didn’t clarify enough, which was my fault. But my point is it does happen and effects are seen on systems like DART, but not to be mistaken with the severity of it occurring on other systems in cities like LA.

Judging from the recent posts, it would appear you guys are content with treating the issue as it’s no big deal. This about much more then people just smelling bad. I would ride the streetcar only to support my city and its transit system, but realistically, it will almost always make more sense to drive. That isn’t the case in LA where sometimes it makes more sense to to take transit or I don’t have a choice. If the issue of the homeless and transit is treated as no big issue, you won’t see me riding the streetcar!

hoya
11-01-2018, 10:46 PM
If they let homeless people hang out in the streetcars, it'll kill the entire program.

The truth is, there's an intensely political aspect to the streetcar, and if you don't think so you're fooling yourself. Every step in the growth of this system has to be a careful compromise. You can try and take some principled stance that we should all accept the guy who smells like feces and screams at the window, because that's what living in the city is all about. Do that and you will lose. Nobody will support the streetcar and it'll be dead in two years.

Same thing with future expansions. Any proposed new line has to include some "touristy" spots and fun things to do. If you try to run it just through the poorest neighborhoods because "that's who needs it the most", it'll fail. Nobody will vote for it because nobody wants to go to SE 15th and High. It has to go through trendy areas to destination locations.

catch22
11-02-2018, 06:32 AM
I lived in Portland which has a much more serious homeless and vagrant problem. While you’ll see them on the Max and Streetcar they are certainly not rolling homeless shelters. The few that cause a scene are usually reported by the operator and a transit officer will board a train a few minutes later a couple stops down the line and keep them moving along. The ones that don’t cause a scene are usually very well behaved or at least make an attempt to be invisible.

I think we are fretting over nothing. Sorry if some of you all have to share a train with someone with no money and holes in their shoes. Just drive your Mercedes instead; I probably don’t want to sit next to you.

jerrywall
11-02-2018, 07:32 AM
I will say this... I can sort of see both sides, or at least understand while there's a learning curve. Edmond's bus system is free, and while Edmond doesn't have near the vagrant population as OKC, when I was riding the bus daily there was almost someone on there. Never an issue. And I work in Film row, and again, have never had any problems, besides navigating the entrance to the McDonald's with all the backpacks and bed roles piled in there. But then you have incidents like this - http://www.newson6.com/story/38592261/homeless-man-threatens-chases-kids-with-machete-in-okc - which would certainly make some folks nervous. At the minimum, I could see not wanting to send your kid on public transit. I think folks will just have to adjust and get used to the idea. Just like the increased urban traffic, or not being able to park 10 feet from the door of a business you're going to. It's all part of a lifestyle that lots of folks aren't used to around here.

Urban Pioneer
11-02-2018, 07:56 AM
In all honesty, I'm not worried. I was completely against having fares of any sort and but was overruled. The one benefit of fares is that it creates a mechanism to bump people off if they aren't paying. So if there are issues, presumably they will be temporary problems. OKC Streetcar has it's own security officers to supplement OCPD. We have extensive monitored cameras both on and off board.

With that being stated, I suspect our ticketing enforcement will be random at best if not only when called in by the operator. The aggressiveness of ticket enforcement can be moderated according to the frequency of issues on board.

There are tangential differences too. Yesterday I was on a test train and had the opportunity to really study our lighting, windows, and transparency as a rider. The feel inside those trains is completely different than many of the more gritty light rail vehicles I have ridden on across the US. Vista windows... And because we are using narrow-body cars the windows on either side are closer in view to scale than the wide-body types. It creates a much more illuminated environment. The operator cab also has a clear view of the interior of the train and conversely it is easy to look out ahead.

We have a crew of cleaners that maintain the trains and because there are only seven units, expect them to be able to focus on maintaining them excellently.

I am asking for more lighting at stops though. We are evaluating our lighting at each stop and will be working on more brilliance in some locations after our opening in December.

Anonymous.
11-02-2018, 08:37 AM
The Law School stop is at best, creepy at night. At least about a month ago when I went by it at night, it had zero lighting. I am glad you are on this committee, UP.

gopokes88
11-02-2018, 09:48 AM
I predict no matter what happens half the people are gonna be pissed the other half happy

jedicurt
11-02-2018, 09:54 AM
I predict no matter what happens half the people are gonna be pissed the other half happy

i was going to say 60-40 happy to un-happy, but you and i are on a similar page

Rover
11-02-2018, 10:08 AM
Yeah, it's prevalent in large urban cities. So what's your point?
My point is sometimes in these discussions we gloss over the more uncomfortable aspects of creating dense urban environments and portray them artificially. Yes, public transportation is needed, but it isn’t the experience some on here think, most who haven’t really spent time and used the services. Use the subway in NYC and metro in LA and see the other side.

turnpup
11-02-2018, 10:09 AM
Urban Pioneer, thank you so much for all the updates and information you've given us through the years of development of our streetcar system. It's made it even more exciting having the benefit of your inside knowledge. I get to learn things from you, then tell them to my 11 year old daughter, who's absolutely ecstatic about the opening. It's been a blast for her (and me too) watching it progress over time. Now that the shelters are in place, we walk down to the stop nearest us and pretend to be waiting for a train. She actually wants to spend her birthday in late-December riding it with us and some of her friends.

Plutonic Panda
11-02-2018, 10:27 AM
My point is sometimes in these discussions we gloss over the more uncomfortable aspects of creating dense urban environments and portray them artificially. Yes, public transportation is needed, but it isn’t the experience some on here think, most who haven’t really spent time and used the services. Use the subway in NYC and metro in LA and see the other side.

Well, that’s my point as well. I misunderstood you then. I’m not trying to put down the homeless at all, as I have a couple friends who are homeless currently, and it kills me. I take food to the homeless all the time in Hollywood to try and ‘do my part.’

My point seems to be getting lost with a few posters here getting offended—or so it appears—for some reason, as me or other posters present possible issues and ask questions.

I have a very hard time believing the situation in Portland as I have heard differently. I haven’t been there, so I have no further comment on Portland. Dan is right that it isn’t much of an issue on DART. I wouldn’t know about NYC, I know about LA, San Fran, Honolulu, and Las Vegas. All major cities, all have problems with it, and riders there are aware of the problem and recognize it as a problem.

Just because it happens there doesn’t mean it needs to be acceptable or that we should give up because it’s inevitable. Not having fares for transit is not the right direction for mass transit.

Absolutely people should be kicked off for smelling too bad. I’ve perosnally witnessed it happen on Metro buses before. You don’t people getting kicked off the subways for it too much for obvious reasons. But it is a sanitary issue and for anyone who is willing to hypocritically make statements like “stay in your Mercedes” or “I’d rather sit next to them instead of those who are pointing out problems,” please do sit next to them! Come to LA and knock yourself out!

hoya
11-02-2018, 12:51 PM
I lived in Portland which has a much more serious homeless and vagrant problem. While you’ll see them on the Max and Streetcar they are certainly not rolling homeless shelters. The few that cause a scene are usually reported by the operator and a transit officer will board a train a few minutes later a couple stops down the line and keep them moving along. The ones that don’t cause a scene are usually very well behaved or at least make an attempt to be invisible.

I think we are fretting over nothing. Sorry if some of you all have to share a train with someone with no money and holes in their shoes. Just drive your Mercedes instead; I probably don’t want to sit next to you.

Why would I want to drive my Mercedes when I can just take my personal hot air balloon? :confused:

It's absolutely something that the city needs to be aware of, and needs to have a plan in place to deal with any issues that may arise. Now I think they'll probably be prepared, I've been very impressed with how the streetcar committee has handled everything so far. But telling people "hey you just need to get used to this" is a dumb idea when you're going to turn around and ask those same people for more money so you can extend the system further. Nobody wants a travelling homeless shelter to stop in their neighborhood.

BG918
11-02-2018, 01:06 PM

I have heard KC has had problems with the homeless for this very reason. I have only riden their streetcar once and didn’t notice it but it was also nice weather. Definitely a potential caveat with free service.

dankrutka
11-03-2018, 03:49 AM
Urban Pioneer, thank you so much for all the updates and information you've given us through the years of development of our streetcar system. It's made it even more exciting having the benefit of your inside knowledge. I get to learn things from you, then tell them to my 11 year old daughter, who's absolutely ecstatic about the opening. It's been a blast for her (and me too) watching it progress over time. Now that the shelters are in place, we walk down to the stop nearest us and pretend to be waiting for a train. She actually wants to spend her birthday in late-December riding it with us and some of her friends.

Love this post.

catch22
11-03-2018, 07:37 AM
Why would I want to drive my Mercedes when I can just take my personal hot air balloon? :confused:

It's absolutely something that the city needs to be aware of, and needs to have a plan in place to deal with any issues that may arise. Now I think they'll probably be prepared, I've been very impressed with how the streetcar committee has handled everything so far. But telling people "hey you just need to get used to this" is a dumb idea when you're going to turn around and ask those same people for more money so you can extend the system further. Nobody wants a travelling homeless shelter to stop in their neighborhood.

My point is it’s NOT a rolling homeless shelter. The homeless actually prefer to be out of sight and out of mind; although there are exceptions. The few exceptions usually don’t cause a fuss or any safety issue. The ones who do cause a scene are promptly removed. It absolutely is something Oklahomans will need to get used to. As Rover pointed out, transit riders come in all flavors.

Laramie
11-03-2018, 09:39 AM
Had to step back and take a deep breath. OKC's 6.9 miles of streetcar rail (4.9 DT & Midtown; 2.0 Bricktown) is a sizeable rollout.

OKC has gotten out early on educating drivers about the streetcar's path & right-of-way. Confident a code of conduct will be adopted.

Remember the rubber tire vintage-like street trolleys we rolled out following MAPS as a substitute for the streetcar. Just recall some of the issues that killed it. It wasn't just an issue with the homeless or vagrants; there were also school age children riding who were loud and vulgar, similar concerns with the city buses. Approached a group of five one time and introduced myself and got their attention; they piped down while I was on board.

We know this is the driver's responsibility; we don't want a distracted driver, especially after seeing all the gadgets and potential concerns the drivers will have on their plates.

We have $4.5 million each invested in 7 streetcars and millions in rail. Just want to see a successful rollout; we're all excited with anticipation. So much anticipation posters are mapping out expansion plans. Cities like Portland, Seattle & Kansas City streetcar plans could serve as an established blueprint.

Wasn't my intention to create a panic or controversy over the streetcar. Just want a successful rollout because this will be a catalyst for streetcar expansion & potential future commuter rail.

Want to again thank Urban Pioneer for his update.

turnpup
11-03-2018, 06:35 PM
Love this post.

Thanks, Dan!

Pete
11-04-2018, 06:16 AM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/streetcar110318.jpg

Urban Pioneer
11-05-2018, 06:30 AM
Thanks for the kind words folks. I've worked on this for eleven years. Most of us have tried to be respectful and consider everyone's opinions and concerns as best as we can.

Probably the assertion by some politicians that this is a system built only for rich people annoys me more than any other blanket statement. However, a man actually had the audacity to start yelling at my wife on the sidewalk last week. He was actually asserting that we looked "too middle-class" to actually represent the people who will actually ride the system. We were shooting an EMBARK video on how easy it is to roll baby strollers on board due to the level boarding.

What I can tell you is that I have been contacted by nearly every imaginable type of person in nearly every socio-economic class asking questions about how to ride and when to ride. People are excited.

hoya
11-05-2018, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the kind words folks. I've worked on this for eleven years. Most of us have tried to be respectful and consider everyone's opinions and concerns as best as we can.

Probably the assertion by some politicians that this is a system built only for rich people annoys me more than any other blanket statement. However, a man actually had the audacity to start yelling at my wife on the sidewalk last week. He was actually asserting that we looked "too middle-class" to actually represent the people who will actually ride the system. We were shooting an EMBARK video on how easy it is to roll baby strollers on board due to the level boarding.

What I can tell you is that I have been contacted by nearly every imaginable type of person in nearly every socio-economic class asking questions about how to ride and when to ride. People are excited.

I'd like to think I had something to do with the success of the streetcar.

I mean, I didn't have anything to do with it. But I like to think I did.

Pete
11-05-2018, 09:40 AM

I have a pretty good idea of how much you have put into this, all as an unpaid volunteer.

Really appreciate your efforts and it looks like the end product is going to be excellent.

OUman
11-08-2018, 07:26 AM
I've seen the streetcars in action a couple of times now, they look real nice. This past Sunday, I was on my way to a meetup just west of downtown and while waiting to turn left on to Sheridan from Robinson, I noticed one of them (in the purple livery - had the "We're testing this streetcar" stickers on the window) waiting to cross Robinson. Then I noticed the new flashing street car light on the signal pole ahead, after which the streetcar started moving. Looks like they have this planned very well.

Laramie
11-08-2018, 12:24 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8gnRi-3QSA

Richard at Remax
11-08-2018, 12:32 PM
Does anyone know if there will be an App associated with this so you can track them real time?

Laramie
11-08-2018, 12:45 PM

Just a sample reflection of today's divide. There isn't anything you can say or tell people who have made up (imaginary or real) in their minds that something like the streetcar will only benefit a certain class of people. 'This too shall pass...'

We will all enjoy the benefits of the OKC streetcar; the rollout seems to be on the right track (pun intended), hope we continue to clear the benchmarks to a successful rollout, operation and future plans for expansion.

dankrutka
11-08-2018, 01:37 PM
Does anyone know if there will be an App associated with this so you can track them real time?

That would be awesome, but there's nothing like that for Dallas' DART system. I can't imagine OKC will have it.

shawnw
11-08-2018, 03:38 PM
Embark recommends either moovit or transitapp, which usually work great for the buses (and I've used them for rail in other cities), they're not going to come up with something themselves. They provide their real-time data to those apps.