View Full Version : Streetcar

gopokes88
08-27-2018, 07:58 PM
Thats your opinion which you are entitled to. But simply not true. The senior citizen center on Rockwell is a smashing success with numbers I believe 3 to 4 times higher than even the best projections. Sidewalks being installed citywide are good too. Trails seem to be looked at favorably. So to say Maps is only for inner core is misguided.

But back to my key point, its what citizens cityywide think that will matter the next time we vote for a Maps. We have to engage all citizens to keep their support. Most love what Maps has done for the core and understand the premise behind most money going there. But it only takes one mistep to change opinions and lose support. 99 of 100 are great and 100 is yet to be determined. I’ve expressed my concerns with it. And as a Thunder supporter I know the day will come when we have to build a new arena to keep up with other cities. That alone will be a tough sell if we have a Maps failure along the way. There are people who will go all out against it saying private should pay. I have no problem with public supporting it for many reasons. Thats what I’m getting at is if SC fails that poays into the hands of future asks/projects. We will always need to keep Maps going to get abead and stay ahead. Maps saved our city imo. I think its been a game changer which other cities try to emulate. We do not want any failures. Most other cities have had some type of failures with inner core projects and have harder fights to get things passed. I don’t want that here because Maps has made our core a destination vice a drive thru.

I hope that makes sense. Just because I have reservations regarding one project don’t discount my support for every other Maps we’ve accomplished. One aspect is citywide support has to be there and we have to always be thinking in terms of how to positively engage all citizens and keep our forward mometum. What I hear from my friends is disdain for the SC. That does not mean it will fail but there are city residents who are skepitical and we do not want to give them any ammunition to fight the next ask when it comes time to vote.

Depends on your definition of “fail” for the SC.

I’d argue it’s already exceeding expectations given Heartland specifically cited the SC as one the reason they chose to expand into OKC and choose AA. I would bet part the SC was a factor in ludivine’s relo as well. If someone wants to call that a failure so be it, they’re wrong.

Maps is designed to be inside out improvements. (Trickle out economics if you will) A thriving core will radiate out to the city. The core isn’t done, there is a longggggggg way still to go.

I don’t know how close we are to having to replace the Peake either. It’s as nice as any other arena, it’s not the high tech flashy of Sacramento but it’s not a dump either. Probably on par with Phoenix or salt lake.

Urbanized
08-27-2018, 08:04 PM
^^^^^^^^^
I completely agree with OKC guy regarding trails and sidewalks. Also the senior centers are fine.

Trails, sidewalks, bicycle infrastructure, transit expansions into the burbs are ALL great uses of this money, and I hope it continues.

My point is only that there are few if any large projects which make sense outside of the core for the reasons I’ve already outlined above. And transit needs to hub and spoke from the core. Which only reinforces that the streetcar is a wise expenditure as a “last mile” option, and makes OTHER transit more viable in the future.

shawnw
08-28-2018, 11:22 AM
5th already being torn up

CloudDeckMedia
08-31-2018, 11:35 AM
The City of New York is proposing an 11-mile streetcar line connecting Brooklyn & Queens for an eye-popping $2.73 billion, of which $1 billion in federal aid would be required. Construction is proposed to begin in 2024, expected to be finished in 2029. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/30/nyregion/nyc-streetcar-brooklyn-queens.html

Plutonic Panda
08-31-2018, 01:48 PM
This street car, like the one in DTLA, has been proposed for some time and have been met with some opposition, especially the one in NYC. Streetcars are just an awful form of transportation and I just can’t get myself excited about OKC’s, though as I always, I do want it to succeed since it’s already built. It would just be nice if they would have invested that money in a “real” rail system and not one that runs at grade in streets.

Teo9969
09-02-2018, 12:40 PM
Streetcars are hardly an awful form of Transportation. They're not comprehensive by any means and they have their failings, but they have a positive impact on the urbanity of a city and the overall views toward public transportation. This metro-area desperately needs to buy into public transportation if it hopes to be a competitive city in its class in the future and there is 0% possibility that this is accomplished with Embark buses alone. I really would hate to know what percentage of OKC residents have ever stepped foot inside public transportation and that has a chance to change in a big way with the streetcar.

I think those who have played a part in the transit studies have done a great job outlining a perfectly reasonable approach to the usage of a street car in a city like OKC. We haven't tried to envision an overly expansive system, but we also haven't dismissed the importance of the impact that transit has in highlighting the true structure of our city. In a lot of ways, I think that the long-term vision of the streetcar will only help foster a larger appreciation for our Bus system and indeed will allow us to make headway in developing more efficient and strategic routes for the future.

Plutonic Panda
09-02-2018, 02:40 PM
The streetcar will only help transit in OKC if it’s done right. That means having it operating as much as possible which the current schedule is less than impressive. If it isn’t done right, there is the possibility of future transit proposals in OKC being met with oppositions due to the streetcar underperforming.

On a side note: LA just moved forward their streetcar proposal. It is ready to break ground and I believe almost fully funded.

OKC Guy
09-02-2018, 03:28 PM
Streetcars are hardly an awful form of Transportation. They're not comprehensive by any means and they have their failings, but they have a positive impact on the urbanity of a city and the overall views toward public transportation. This metro-area desperately needs to buy into public transportation if it hopes to be a competitive city in its class in the future and there is 0% possibility that this is accomplished with Embark buses alone. I really would hate to know what percentage of OKC residents have ever stepped foot inside public transportation and that has a chance to change in a big way with the streetcar.

I think those who have played a part in the transit studies have done a great job outlining a perfectly reasonable approach to the usage of a street car in a city like OKC. We haven't tried to envision an overly expansive system, but we also haven't dismissed the importance of the impact that transit has in highlighting the true structure of our city. In a lot of ways, I think that the long-term vision of the streetcar will only help foster a larger appreciation for our Bus system and indeed will allow us to make headway in developing more efficient and strategic routes for the future.

I agree with your thoughts but I disagree in the order is all. I feel if we invested the SC money into bus system we can then get more folks to downtown without cars. Additionally we then get more public support. So then once we get busses running smoothly we do the street car to transport those bus riders in the core. As it stands unless a person lives in the core you have to drive to core and park. And I think investing $130m into bus system would have worked. Doing SC first gives bus system zero chance at working imo. So in my world vision we needed to get bus system working which then feeds into core. Then do SC.

I do hope they increase hours for SC to maximize availability to more folks. I like the look of the cars they picked. Will be good for convention center. Not sure if it helps after Thunder games due to car/road gridlock. If cars are stuck on streets post game then so too will be SC. Bird scooters may be a bonanza after games though.

Anyways, I hope SC works so we can keep forward momentum of all the other great successes from Maps. I am rooting for it.

Plutonic Panda
09-02-2018, 03:56 PM
I agree this money would be better spent on improving the bus system, specifically around downtown. New bus depot, new BRT style buses that can have dedicated lanes in some areas. They could have built streetcar style stops.

People love to boast about OKC’s low traffic, but that won’t last forever. It won’t be too long before these streetcars get tied up in traffic and take just as long or longer to get someone to their destination even factoring in walking to their parked car.

Urbanized posted some good info awhile back I still haven’t fully read about cost comparisons between BRT and streetcar being closer than further apart, but I’m sure that also depends on the standards imposed by the BRT system. Compromises can be made and we could have gotten more bang for our buck with more miles and higher ridership with a better bus system.

I’m not against rail, but I despise rail running at grade with few exceptions. I know this is beating a dead horse at this point, so I just hope the streetcar succeeds and we’re fortunate to have amazing folks like Urban Pioneer who knows what it will take to get the system running successfully. Hopefully the city understands it and gets on board(pun intended).

Laramie
09-02-2018, 08:40 PM
nm

catch22
09-02-2018, 08:45 PM
NWX is a state highway so any improvements will have to be approved by ODOT. I think it’s clear where their priorities lie regarding pedestrians and public transit.

Laramie
09-02-2018, 08:49 PM
https://localtvkfor.files.wordpress.com/2018/06/promo353634627.jpg?quality=85&strip=all&w=740&h=408&crop=1
Bermuda green streecars are among the last arrivals to join the fleet of Clear Sky Blue & Redbud

The streetcar will be a nice mode of transit within Downtown, Midtown & Bricktown. People will enjoy the novelty--it will be successful especially during days of inclement weather--tourists will go all out with riding the streetcar because they can relax & view the city without use of a personal or rental vehicle in unfamiliar areas. If development along the SC route is successful as it has been in cities like Portland, Kansas City, Cincinnati & Salt Lake City; OKC shouldn't have any difficulty with its rollout.

As for the N. W. Expressway; it could use a total re-due. Numerous stop lights on an expressway isn't what you would classify as an expressway. $100 million in Federal funds would have to be secured to do justice to that thoroughfare which is long overdue.

Teo9969
09-02-2018, 10:52 PM
Listen, if you could tell me that OKC is going to grow by 30% over the next 15 years, and that a very healthy amount of that percentage is people coming in from the coasts, I would be able to jump on the "fix the busses" bandwagon.

Right now, as it stands, Oklahoma Citians, Oklahomans, and general Great Plains/Southwestern/Texomans etc. do not *get* public transportation. They see it as for poor people and/or a magnanimous waste of time/resources. They absolutely cannot envision themselves using it. Tons of residents have never left the region, and many that have rent a car anywhere they go, or take ubers/taxis when they go to bigger cities because they just don't understand mass transit. That's not going to change by investing in our bus system more.

It's going to change when citizens actually step foot in a coach that already has 15 people riding from who knows when and getting off at who knows when. It will change with a new understanding that "Bus Stop" is not just for the kids going to school. It will change when people realize they can move from one place to another and hang out on their telephones the whole time without looking up.

Plutonic Panda
09-03-2018, 12:38 AM
You are assuming people will view this streetcar as a real piece of infrastructure that people will rely on and not just a novelty item.

OKC indeed has a heavy car culture, but I think many people on this thread are exaggerating OKC’s ignorance when it comes to its populations view on mass transit. I’m sure many people in OKC know and understand the importance of mass transit and I don’t think that’s the pressing issue. There are many other factors that will lead to a city not wanting to use mass transit and opting for their car and OKC is hardly unique in that regard.

Sorry, but I really don’t believe people in OKC view mass transit as alien and a streetcar is the thing that will change that.

d-usa
09-03-2018, 07:10 AM
It’s not viewed as alien. It’s viewed as being for poor people and drug addicts. That’s what’s gotta change.

hoya
09-03-2018, 11:04 PM
“The bus is for poor people who smell like urine. Why would we spend $150 million on buses just so they can tear them up?”
—signed, half of Oklahoma City

Teo9969
09-04-2018, 04:08 AM
You are assuming people will view this streetcar as a real piece of infrastructure that people will rely on and not just a novelty item.

People don't need to see it as infrastructure. They need to jump into a cabin with a bunch of people they don't know and incrementally realize the auxiliary benefits of public transit. That way when a major push for public transit funding hits the ballot box we don't have 85% of the population being completely ignorant as to what public transportation can look like and what benefits it can bring. By no means will the street-car make us into Berlin, but it is essentially the only viable start to change...

OKC indeed has a heavy car culture, but I think many people on this thread are exaggerating OKC’s ignorance when it comes to its populations view on mass transit. I’m sure many people in OKC know and understand the importance of mass transit and I don’t think that’s the pressing issue. There are many other factors that will lead to a city not wanting to use mass transit and opting for their car and OKC is hardly unique in that regard.

Sorry, but I really don’t believe people in OKC view mass transit as alien and a streetcar is the thing that will change that.

You're giving us more credit than we deserve. You've made it out of this city/state for more than a week or two. You are from a well-off background and are well traveled. Don't make the mistake of assuming that the experiences you have had somehow play a small part and helping you derive your worldview. There are still plenty of residents who think Oklahoma City is a boring city and are clawing to get out, people who stick to their suburb and believe downtown is Chesapeake/Bricktown and the rest of the new development is just hipsterville.

We've come a long way as a city, but where we've had success looking to regional big boys for cues on ways to improve our lifestyle here, there is no city in the region that has done a bang-up job on transit --- I do not see any reason to believe we'll be the 1st.

HOT ROD
09-04-2018, 04:13 PM
I think that's the key, streetcar is a form of mass transit as opposed to 'rapid' transit like PuPlan is mentioning. I think OKC is way too young/inexperienced and not as dense enough YET to get rapid transit (metro down to Light Rail) but OKC is perfect for streetcar and commuter rail.

I agree that streetcar has its limitations since it integrates with the existing traffic BUT it is a huge development tool that if OKC uses it right should add incredible density along its route. Ask Portland what the PDX streetcar did in creating the Pearl District - I've seen the before in the 1990s and the after of today: a HUGE 180 degree turnaround. Even cities that are developed (like Seattle) are using streetcar to add density (in the South Lake Union in our case [SLUT] and serving the already dense Capital Hill). If OKC can have even a slight bump of this success then the OKC streetcar will be worth it.

But I think the best reason for the OKC streetcar is for it to be that last mile of transit for other modes to feed. Imagine taking the commuter rail from your posh suburban home in Edmond to downtown, then when in downtown you walk or take streetcar to your job and/or your destinations of choice. That should encourage a more transit hungry populous - which is the true value of the streetcar.

hoya
09-04-2018, 05:05 PM
I agree that streetcar has its limitations since it integrates with the existing traffic BUT it is a huge development tool that if OKC uses it right should add incredible density along its route. Ask Portland what the PDX streetcar did in creating the Pearl District - I've seen the before in the 1990s and the after of today: a HUGE 180 degree turnaround. Even cities that are developed (like Seattle) are using streetcar to add density (in the South Lake Union in our case [SLUT] and serving the already dense Capital Hill). If OKC can have even a slight bump of this success then the OKC streetcar will be worth it.

Do a lot of people ride the SLUT? I heard it services much of the population.

catch22
09-04-2018, 06:42 PM

The fares are reasonable.

HOT ROD
09-04-2018, 06:55 PM
I've ridden the SLUT and believe me, it was quite enjoyable. If you're lucky you can get a free ride paid for by your employer. :)

Mr. Blue Sky
09-04-2018, 09:17 PM

You don't get a name like that without servicing much of the population. :cool:

HOT ROD
09-06-2018, 12:12 PM
its just part of the "Seattle" experience. ..

shawnw
09-07-2018, 03:48 PM
https://youtu.be/rONyf8IQcWU

meant to post this last week. second or third story in streetcar signal prioritization is mentioned.

Hutch
09-10-2018, 09:18 AM
But I think the best reason for the OKC streetcar is for it to be that last mile of transit for other modes to feed. Imagine taking the commuter rail from your posh suburban home in Edmond to downtown, then when in downtown you walk or take streetcar to your job and/or your destinations of choice. That should encourage a more transit hungry populous - which is the true value of the streetcar.

Exactly.

The streetcar didn't originate simply as a MAPS 3 novelty idea. It was first identified as a critical component of a future regional transit system in the 2005 Fixed Guideway Study. It's long-term purpose is to serve as the last-mile distribution system throughout the greater downtown area for that system. That's why there are designed stops on three sides of Santa Fe Station. Until that system becomes a reality, the streetcar was designed to serve downtown's near-term needs as a local circulator. Much thought and effort went into the system design to optimize it's function and maximize ridership for both near-term and long-term purposes.

While it's hoped that the near-term function of the streetcar will create greater excitement and public support for transit, spur economic development and generate sufficient ridership to deem it a success, it's ultimate achievement from a ridership perspective won't occur until that system is being fed by the thousands of commuter rail riders traveling to and from downtown every day through Santa Fe Station. At that point, not only will ridership soar and more than support the current system, it will also support further streetcar extensions to such areas as the Health Science Center.

Much of the debate in the streetcar system's development wasn't whether or not we needed a streetcar system as part of a greater regional transit system. It was about whether we needed it now. It always seemed to be the chicken or the egg question. Do you build the streetcar system first or last? One side argued that a larger bus system must come first. The other side argued that the cost of operating a large bus system made it unachievable without a permanent dedicated funding source, and that getting voter approval to fund a large bus system on its own was not achievable due to the general populations stigma against buses. That side believed that the only way to get voter approval for a large bus system was to get voter approval for a comprehensive regional transit system that included both bus and more publicly appealing rail transit modes. In the end, the streetcar supporters won out. That doesn't mean it was done at the expense of a great bus system. On the contrary, if the streetcar is successful and generates enough public excitement for transit to ensure creation of an RTA and passage of a dedicated funding initiative to create a regional transit system, the first thing that money will be spent on is development of a much greater bus system, as that system has to be in place first to feed and service the commuter rail system.

Again, the answer to all of these transit issues and arguments is creation of an RTA and comprehensive regional transit system. Instead of continuing to debate the chicken or the egg argument, we've reached that critical point where all transit supporters need to unite and press ahead with a single voice to ensure development of a regional transit system sooner rather than much later. More on that in the OKC Regional Transit System thread.

ChowRunner
09-19-2018, 07:07 AM
Ribbon cutting is tentatively scheduled for dec 14th.

d-usa
09-19-2018, 07:15 AM
If they could have it running for Christmas around the gardens and then New Years it will be a lot of high visibility promotion opportunities for the general public.

dcsooner
09-19-2018, 09:04 AM
Ribbon cutting is tentatively scheduled for dec 14th.

Is that date posted on a reliable website? I desire to visit the city when it is fully operational.

Laramie
09-19-2018, 09:30 AM
Oklahoma City Streetcar as of now will be a nice transit mode serviceable to our core areas: Bricktown, Downtown, Midtown-automobile alley. Hopefully, it will be a springboard to commuter rail which will need its own rail lines to cities of 100,000 or more. The cities who will reach that plateau are Norman (110,925/-2010) & Edmond (81,710/-2010). Commuter rail plans will garner steam after 2020.

Modern streetcar transit does add to the sophistication of the future growth development of our city; if development trends along the streetcar route hold true for OKC as it has done in established cities--the streetcar will be a success. Now is it fair to gauge our city (1.4 million metro) with an area like Kansas City where you have a metro area that exceeds 2 million and a very high per capita income; also, OKC's underground metro concourse, just how much will it adversely affect the streetcar?

Are Norman & Edmond willing and ready participants in future commuter rail development to Oklahoma City?

We should look upon the streetcar as a possible stepping stone to the next level.

Magic's Immune System
09-19-2018, 09:32 AM
Nobody rides the busses, very few will ride the streetcars.

Huge waste of money. We could've rented limo's to cart people around for 10 years for what we are paying for this debacle.

ChowRunner
09-19-2018, 09:35 AM
Is that date posted on a reliable website? I desire to visit the city when it is fully operational.

I said tentatively but that is the date. The city is currently looking for volunteers to work that weekend to assist the huge numbers that will be riding.

Magic's Immune System
09-19-2018, 09:39 AM
Listen, if you could tell me that OKC is going to grow by 30% over the next 15 years, and that a very healthy amount of that percentage is people coming in from the coasts, I would be able to jump on the "fix the busses" bandwagon.

Right now, as it stands, Oklahoma Citians, Oklahomans, and general Great Plains/Southwestern/Texomans etc. do not *get* public transportation. They see it as for poor people and/or a magnanimous waste of time/resources. They absolutely cannot envision themselves using it. Tons of residents have never left the region, and many that have rent a car anywhere they go, or take ubers/taxis when they go to bigger cities because they just don't understand mass transit. That's not going to change by investing in our bus system more.

It's going to change when citizens actually step foot in a coach that already has 15 people riding from who knows when and getting off at who knows when. It will change with a new understanding that "Bus Stop" is not just for the kids going to school. It will change when people realize they can move from one place to another and hang out on their telephones the whole time without looking up.

It's not about "getting it". Believe it or not, not everyone in OKC is an idiot. It's all about value. Cities that need and use mass transit, are very densely populated, and most people don't have a car. The streetcar can only take you a few blocks, and doesn't save any time. Quicker, and easier to take your car, or just walk.

They tried trolleys to bricktown from downtown. Nobody used them.

Laramie
09-19-2018, 09:52 AM
OKC Streetcar will have an impact on visitors' impression on our city. Free streetcar tokens to conventioneers is something our city should seriously consider.

Midtowner
09-19-2018, 09:56 AM

Those were a joke. They never ran on time and couldn't be depended on.

PaddyShack
09-19-2018, 10:13 AM
Those were a joke. They never ran on time and couldn't be depended on.

Plus they looked dingy and uninviting in my opinion. Something new and fresh looking like these streetcars make people more willing to jump onboard.

Laramie
09-19-2018, 10:21 AM

Huge waste of money. We could've rented limo's to cart people around for 10 years for what we are paying for this debacle.

Buses provide a great service for our city; wouldn't compare it to the targeted small area streetcar route. Definitely understand your view from an economic standpoint. Magic's Immune System, how important is your immune system; are you cutting costs (vitamins, nutrients, food...)?

Many had this view about our original MAPS' initiative which helped jump-start OKC. The streetcar will be a cumulative investment added to the many amenities our city offers--Bennett Events Center, Riversport Rapids, new Convention Center and others. As I mentioned to a neighbor this morning who I took to a job interview (his car wouldn't start); you've got to invest in clothes/transit--because that initial impression will determine how competitive you are in landing a new job, how you feel about yourself and the impression you make on the interviewer.

Cities have to make themselves attractive if they are to be considered for bringing new businesses to the area; everything is not going to turn a profit--the competitiveness among cities have reached a new height. Can OKC get in the game...

KayneMo
09-19-2018, 10:26 AM

Bus ridership in FY2015 was 3,086,000.

https://embarkok.com/assets/files/media/EMBARK_2016QualitativeReport.pdf

Laramie
09-19-2018, 10:51 AM

Although it does appear bus ridership is low; it does address the fact that OKC needs the system to provide for those who don't have automobile transportation. You don't discard the buses because of low ridership; you tweak it for maximum proficiency. The numbers reflect growth. If you've ever had to depend on the bus; expect 30-45 minute wait periods.

Thanks for that info KayneMO:

2013: 2,812,122
2014: 2,833,909
2015: 3,085,663

OKC Embark bus system have made adjustments to improve ridership for a very wide service area.

baralheia
09-19-2018, 10:57 AM

It's not about "getting it". Believe it or not, not everyone in OKC is an idiot. It's all about value. Cities that need and use mass transit, are very densely populated, and most people don't have a car. The streetcar can only take you a few blocks, and doesn't save any time. Quicker, and easier to take your car, or just walk.

Regarding your argument: That ship's sailed, dude. Years ago. We've now got this additional mode of public transit, for better or worse. If you don't want it to be a huge debacle, do what you can to support it. Ride it and try it on a busy weekend. We'll know in a year or so, once the newness of the system wears off, whether or not the investment was sound. I personally think the streetcar will be successful.

Also, the Streetcar will take you a lot farther than "a few blocks"; the two farthest stations are about a mile and a half apart as the crow flies; by street miles, they're just about 2 miles apart. As far as transit time, according to the 32nd slide of this presentation to the American Public Transportation Association (https://www.apta.com/mc/rail/previous/2017rail/presentations/Presentations/Dorn,%20Mark.pdf), the target transit time around the entire D-line loop (through Bricktown, Downtown, and Midtown) is 35 minutes. If you decided to walk from the East Bricktown stop (at Russel M Perry & E California) to the Dewey Ave stop (on N Dewey between NW 10th and NW 11th st), it would take you 36 minutes according to Google Maps (https://www.google.com/maps/dir/IHOP,+401+E+California+Ave,+Oklahoma+City,+OK+7310 4/35.4795459,-97.522727/@35.4724952,-97.5187826,16z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m9!4m8!1m5!1m1!1s0x87b21720583f5e09 :0x98d9e75f2908043f!2m2!1d-97.505799!2d35.46557!1m0!3e2). The Streetcar will get you there in half the time vs walking. Sure, you could get a Lyft or Uber that would get you there in just about 10 minutes... but that'll cost $6 to $10 (or more, depending on service and time of day); The streetcar will get you there for just $1.

ChowRunner
09-19-2018, 11:20 AM
Link to volunteer https://www.signupgenius.com/go/70a0c44abae2ea4f94-volunteer

GoldFire
09-19-2018, 11:29 AM
I just realized I posted this in the wrong thread the other day. I've noticed the frequency of tests has really picked up the last few weeks. Here was one going by on the NW corner of the Myriad Gardens.

https://i.imgur.com/haTwJ7I.jpg

Pete
09-19-2018, 11:36 AM
^

Yes, they have all the cars now and they are testing all of them.

This week they notified everyone they were going to run the clearance trolley on the whole loop to identify trees that need trimming or any other obstacles.

With the Bricktown Loop, once that happened the trains started to roll not long after.

It really shouldn't be much longer before the entire system is operational.

Magic's Immune System
09-19-2018, 11:54 AM

That may be the number they report, but I see several busses a day, and they almost entirely empty. Maybe they need smaller or fewer busses.

Magic's Immune System
09-19-2018, 11:57 AM
Regarding your argument: That ship's sailed, dude. Years ago. We've now got this additional mode of public transit, for better or worse. If you don't want it to be a huge debacle, do what you can to support it. Ride it and try it on a busy weekend.
Why should I pay to ride or to support something that the fiscally ignorant dreamers pushed through? Any logical person could see this was a huge waste of money.

Pete
09-19-2018, 11:59 AM
Not that it will make a big difference to some, but there is a good chance the streetcar will be free to ride, at least for a while.

shawnw
09-19-2018, 12:01 PM
All streetcar track will be done in about a month. In addition to the ribbon cutting on the 14, that whole weekend will be a 3-day grand opening event of some kind. Also of note, the light going in at 11th will be a streetcar only light that will only turn red (for cars) when the streetcar needs to turn left across both directions of traffic to go down 11th.

PaddyShack
09-19-2018, 12:04 PM
All streetcar track will be done in about a month. In addition to the ribbon cutting on the 14, that whole weekend will be a 3-day grand opening event of some kind. Also of note, the light going in at 11th will be a streetcar only light that will only turn red (for cars) when the streetcar needs to turn left across both directions of traffic to go down 11th.

I found these to be quite common along the streetcar routes in Vienna. They work very well with traffic flow and making sure streetcars get into traffic to stay on time.

Magic's Immune System
09-19-2018, 12:04 PM
the target transit time around the entire D-line loop (through Bricktown, Downtown, and Midtown) is 35 minutes.

Wow, that's even worse than I thought. I could drive it in 10 minutes.

TheTravellers
09-19-2018, 12:05 PM
Why should I pay to ride or to support something that the fiscally ignorant dreamers pushed through? Any logical person could see this was a huge waste of money.

You don't really understand public transit, do you?

hfry
09-19-2018, 12:07 PM

Are you really adding anything to the discussion here? We get it, you don't like it, thankfully you don't have to ride it. Problem solved. Spare us the petty remarks on all these threads.

gopokes88
09-19-2018, 12:12 PM
I’m pretty excited to try it. Maybe get a bite to eat in midtown or AA and jump on and ride to a thunder game.

dankrutka
09-19-2018, 12:12 PM
Nobody rides the busses...

This is a very classist remark that dismisses how many citizens rely on bus services for their livelihoods.

baralheia
09-19-2018, 12:13 PM
^

Yes, they have all the cars now and they are testing all of them.

This week they notified everyone they were going to run the clearance trolley on the whole loop to identify trees that need trimming or any other obstacles.

With the Bricktown Loop, once that happened the trains started to roll not long after.

It really shouldn't be much longer before the entire system is operational.

Did Car 201807 arrive already? Last I had heard it wasn't expected until early October.

dankrutka
09-19-2018, 12:15 PM

What is the purpose of your comments? Do you think insulting people with whom you disagree and proclaiming your own knowledge as complete and correct is a useful way to engage in discussions about public issues? If you already know all the answers, why even post on a message board?

baralheia
09-19-2018, 12:19 PM

Uh... Even a direct, point to point route from the two stops farthest apart would take a minimum of 18 minutes to drive between, round trip; this does not take traffic into account. Here's the proof from Google Maps (https://www.google.com/maps/dir/35.46558,-97.5061282/35.4795196,-97.5227357/35.4655602,-97.506131/@35.4727937,-97.5187861,2145m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m2!4m1!3e0).

Ross MacLochness
09-19-2018, 12:27 PM
Uh... Even a direct, point to point route from the two stops farthest apart would take a minimum of 18 minutes to drive between, round trip; this does not take traffic into account. Here's the proof from Google Maps (https://www.google.com/maps/dir/35.46558,-97.5061282/35.4795196,-97.5227357/35.4655602,-97.506131/@35.4727937,-97.5187861,2145m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m2!4m1!3e0).

Or the amount of time it would take to walk to wherever your car is parked, get out of the garage/lot, then find parking (and pay for it) and then walk to your destination.

Laramie
09-19-2018, 12:43 PM
Streetcar is a good investment; OKC's finance method (MAPS) will give us a debt free streetcar system where fares will help with operational costs. Hope there will be some ozone alert free rides as with Embark's buses. We'll have more information on charting its success after the newness wears off. More excited about the development potentials the streetcar route possesses.

PaddyShack
09-19-2018, 01:08 PM
I really wish there were park-n-ride lots on the outer most edges of the Embark system, then I could start to utilize the full system.

shawnw
09-19-2018, 01:09 PM
Technically you could park at the outlet mall and ride the 38 in.

(thought you were coming from Yukon but might have been someone else)

PaddyShack
09-19-2018, 01:10 PM
Technically you could park at the outlet mall and ride the 38 in.

(thought you were coming from Yukon but might have been someone else)

I have thought about doing this, but just not sure if the Outlets would take offense.