View Full Version : Anne's Chicken Fry

nik4411
11-26-2009, 07:35 AM
OK, when I first lived in Oklahoma 15 years ago, this was one of my family's favorite places to eat. It was great....but something happened there some time ago, seemed they closed for a bit then reopened, not sure...but haven't been back in many years.

Anybody eaten there lately? Is it still as good as it used to be? All opinions, reviews and thoughts would be appreciated.

bluedogok
11-26-2009, 09:03 AM
We ate there when we were in town last February and it was pretty good.

SoonerQueen
11-26-2009, 10:46 PM
We ate there a couple of weeks ago and it's still the best chicken fried steak in town.

CCOKC
11-26-2009, 10:53 PM
My mother-in-law takes us there at least once a month. They even have enough for a veggie like me to enjoy. BTW, if you sit on the west side and see a signature on the bricks from Hawaii, that's my dad.

Bigrayok
11-26-2009, 11:32 PM
I like Anne's Chicken Fry. They have good variety on their menu including a good selection of sides. I think it is strange in this day and age and with all the potential Route 66 tourists that they still do not take credit or debit cards. I wonder how many Route 66 travelers are surprised when they get there with their cards and find out they are not accepted.

Bigray in Ok

bluedogok
11-28-2009, 07:59 AM
There are many independent places that do not take credit cards, they don't care to pay the transaction fees but yet they have lines waiting out the door, doesn't seem to affect most of their businesses.

Most of the "famous" places out in the Hill Country where I ride motorcycles do not take cards, many do have ATM machines nearby though.

ultimatesooner
11-30-2009, 09:43 AM
decent place but not as good as the chuck house

RealJimbo
11-30-2009, 10:13 AM
Try Shorty Small's chicken fry or Don's Alley. Ann's is good, but try and then compare.

nik4411
11-30-2009, 10:23 AM
Thanks for all the feedback...I guess I need to get back out there and hit it up again.

ive had shorty small's, it's good and very large. not familiar with don's alley....

but i will have to say chuck house is my all time favorite

kevinpate
11-30-2009, 11:00 AM
If you don't mind a short drive, slide past Norman into Nobel and give Kendall's a go. Worth the gas, even if gas takes another nasty jump qabout 3 a gallon again.

Really, really good eats.

nik4411
11-30-2009, 11:17 AM
ive heard about the place kevin, and have heard lots of good things. i will def try it soon as well. i live in norman so it really isnt that far

kevinpate
11-30-2009, 12:13 PM
ive heard about the place kevin, and have heard lots of good things. i will def try it soon as well. i live in norman so it really isnt that far

Lunch is an ample experience, dinner is even more ample. If you are not a fan of big portions, expect to be carting some of the meal home with you. And tasty? YOU BETCHA! lol .. that lil' group of publicans sure know how to serve it up.

RealJimbo
11-30-2009, 12:42 PM
If you don't mind a short drive, slide past Norman into Nobel and give Kendall's a go. Worth the gas, even if gas takes another nasty jump qabout 3 a gallon again.

Really, really good eats.

I agree with Kevin. They relocated to Norman for a while then moved back to Noble. An exceptional chicken fry. Ozzie's at the Max Westhiemer airport in Norman also has a notable chicken fry.

oneforone
12-02-2009, 12:19 AM
I agree with Kevin. They relocated to Norman for a while then moved back to Noble. An exceptional chicken fry. Ozzie's at the Max Westhiemer airport in Norman also has a notable chicken fry.

Ozzies also has a good cheap steak dinner down there. I can't remember if it is a nightly special or just a one day a week special.

rcjunkie
12-02-2009, 04:07 AM
Anne's, Chuck House, Kendell's, Del Rancho, Don's, Shorty Smalls, all are OK if you like crisp breading with a hint of beef, nothing can compare to the pan fried chicken fried steak at Cattleman's.

RealJimbo
12-02-2009, 12:58 PM
Ozzies also has a good cheap steak dinner down there. I can't remember if it is a nightly special or just a one day a week special.

When I was working closer to Ozzies I ate there quite often. At that time the steak and bake was on the menu every day for what, $5.95? It came with a side salad too.

RealJimbo
12-02-2009, 12:59 PM
Anne's, Chuck House, Kendell's, Del Rancho, Don's, Shorty Smalls, all are OK if you like crisp breading with a hint of beef, nothing can compare to the pan fried chicken fried steak at Cattleman's.

I'll have to try that. I always get a grilled steak when I go, but it might be nice to change it up a little.

MikeOKC
12-02-2009, 01:03 PM
Gotta love Ann's Chicken Fry and the throwback atmosphere. Good home cookin' too!

RealJimbo
12-02-2009, 03:07 PM
Does anyone else remember the restaurant that was almost across 39th street from Anne's that had a similar menu? Ron's or something like that? It was really "Old Route 66" concept with tables that had plate warmers built right into them.