View Full Version : Roman Polanski

RedDirt717
09-30-2009, 04:10 PM
So a lot of celebrities have come to his defense.

What's your opinion of the Polanski Rape debacle?

Roman Polanski: backlash as Whoopi Goldberg says director didn't commit 'rape-rape' - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/roman-polanski/6245219/Roman-Polanski-backlash-as-Whoopi-Goldberg-says-director-didnt-commit-rape-rape.html)

mugofbeer
09-30-2009, 04:46 PM
He was just makin' Whoopi! (LOLOLOL)

He did the crime, he should do the time........

gmwise
09-30-2009, 04:47 PM
I say time to pay for the crime.
He pleaded guilty, then RANNED.
He should go to serve the time prescribed.

JohnDenver
09-30-2009, 04:48 PM
This sums up my feelings:

Reminder: Roman Polanski raped a child - Broadsheet - Salon.com (http://www.salon.com/mwt/broadsheet/feature/2009/09/28/polanski_arrest/index.html#)

The defense of cultural differences, the child didn't "look" 13, it was consensual, the victim *now* doesn't want him charged, etc. etc -- they don't matter.

She testified that she begged to go home. He said "NO". She said "NO" to oral sex. He did it. She said "NO" to ******l sex." He still did it. She said "NO" to anal sex. He did it, until he was done. He was terrified of the truths she was saying so he plea bargained down to unlawful sex with a minor. But really, he plead guilty to what she testified.

That is rape. Regardless of the age. Then he ran before sentencing, he is guilty of that and needs to serve the time.

"I understand the victim's feelings on this. And I sympathize, I do. But for good or ill, the justice system doesn't work on behalf of victims; it works on behalf of justice."

This case isn't titled, "The [VICTIM] versus Roman Polanski." It is "The People of California versus Roman Polanski."

Stan Silliman
09-30-2009, 05:01 PM
This sums up my feelings:

Reminder: Roman Polanski raped a child - Broadsheet - Salon.com (http://www.salon.com/mwt/broadsheet/feature/2009/09/28/polanski_arrest/index.html#)

The defense of cultural differences, the child didn't "look" 13, it was consensual, the victim *now* doesn't want him charged, etc. etc -- they don't matter.

She testified that she begged to go home. He said "NO". She said "NO" to oral sex. He did it. She said "NO" to ******l sex." He still did it. She said "NO" to anal sex. He did it, until he was done. He was terrified of the truths she was saying so he plea bargained down to unlawful sex with a minor. But really, he plead guilty to what she testified.

That is rape. Regardless of the age. Then he ran before sentencing, he is guilty of that and needs to serve the time.

"I understand the victim's feelings on this. And I sympathize, I do. But for good or ill, the justice system doesn't work on behalf of victims; it works on behalf of justice."

This case isn't titled, "The [VICTIM] versus Roman Polanski." It is "The People of California versus Roman Polanski."

What's the reason the victim wants the charges dropped? And might possibly recant her earlier testimony?

I think it's possible because her mother sold her for the night to Polanski and she can't handle that part.

mugofbeer
09-30-2009, 05:06 PM
What's the reason the victim wants the charges dropped? And might possibly recant her earlier testimony?

I think it's possible because her mother sold her for the night to Polanski and she can't handle that part.

I believe I half-heard on the news the other night that she is married and has 3 kids. Every time the subject has come up it rains pain and media attention on her and her family that she simply does not want. She just wants it to go away and leave her to her life. Understandable.

ronronnie1
09-30-2009, 05:22 PM
If he raped the girl, then he should serve his time. He ditched out before sentencing, so it's not like he didn't have a fair trial.

Come back and do your time, Roman.

RedDirt717
09-30-2009, 05:34 PM

I imagine now that the "13 year old" is much older than 13 and Polanski is a very wealthy man, there may be some fiscal benefits to all of the sudden "not wanting to press charges".

She may just want the thing to go away too. As I understand, this was a pretty horrific memory and she may just want to let it go.

JohnDenver
09-30-2009, 05:56 PM
I imagine now that the "13 year old" is much older than 13 and Polanski is a very wealthy man, there may be some fiscal benefits to all of the sudden "not wanting to press charges".

She may just want the thing to go away too. As I understand, this was a pretty horrific memory and she may just want to let it go.

All of these reasons are why justice isn't about the victim. It is about the quest for truth and protecting society.

I watched an old interview with her and she said that it would be her last and she wanted it all behind for HER. She also accepted a cash settlement with Polanski, which may or may not factor into it.

mugofbeer
09-30-2009, 06:03 PM
So a lot of celebrities have come to his defense.

What's your opinion of the Polanski Rape debacle?

Roman Polanski: backlash as Whoopi Goldberg says director didn't commit 'rape-rape' - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/roman-polanski/6245219/Roman-Polanski-backlash-as-Whoopi-Goldberg-says-director-didnt-commit-rape-rape.html)

Its truly unbelievable and pathetic that so many in Hollywood have lost touch with reality and what it means to be a responsible person as to support "letting him off." What the **** does it wasn't a "rape-rape" mean?

Figures Woody Allen would be one of his supporters:LolLolLol

RedDirt717
09-30-2009, 06:15 PM
Its truly unbelievable and pathetic that so many in Hollywood have lost touch with reality and what it means to be a responsible person as to support "letting him off." What the **** does it wasn't a "rape-rape" mean?

Figures Woody Allen would be one of his supporters:LolLolLol

Yah I'm not sure what forcing yourself on a 13 year old is call in Hollywood these days.

I mean really though? Just let it go? It's not "rape-rape"?

What are the guys on "to catch a predator" then? "intense child lovers"?

Someone takes nude pictures of a 13 year old, rapes a 13 year old and runs away. Lock'em up for f%#king life. The real outrage here should be the ever growing list of Hollywood A listers defending his actions. Just shows how out of touch with anything resembling reality these people are.

gmwise
09-30-2009, 06:18 PM
Yah I'm not sure what forcing yourself on a 13 year old is call in Hollywood these days.

I mean really though? Just let it go? It's not "rape-rape"?

What are the guys on "to catch a predator" then? "intense child lovers"?

Someone takes nude pictures of a 13 year old, rapes a 13 year old and runs away. Lock'em up for f%#king life. The real outrage here should be the ever growing list of Hollywood A listers defending his actions. Just shows how out of touch with anything resembling reality these people are.

Maybe its call the Roman?

PennyQuilts
09-30-2009, 06:53 PM
Not only should he do the time - why hasn't he been charged with flight? That ought to gain him real time.

gen70
09-30-2009, 06:56 PM
I think he should have gone to prison a long tme ago. What gets me is that the girl accepted money from the creep. Kinda sounds like off-setting penalties.

RedDirt717
10-05-2009, 04:28 PM
This is what the ivory tower libs do for you when you rape a child, as long as you're in their club.

Unreal...

Polanski gets a star on Warsaw's walk of fame (http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=CNG.b822308de7f2803887661e7d6ab826c 9.1d1&show_article=1)

A star dedicated to Oscar-winning film director Roman Polanski has been unveiled on a new 'walk of fame' in Warsaw as he faces three-decade-old child sex charges in the United States.

"Nothing is too shocking to me," reads a quote on the star attributed to Polanski, 76.

It is one of 12 stars on the walk of fame dedicated to giants of the film world such as Marilyn Monroe, Woody Allen and Penelope Cruz, which debuted on a public walkway in central Warsaw over the weekend.

Polanski was detained in Switzerland on September 26 on a US arrest warrant issued over a 1977 sex case involving a 13-year-old girl in California.

Switzerland's justice minister on Sunday promised a quick court decision on whether Polanski should be freed or face extradition to the United States.

A federal court in Bellinzone, southern Switzerland, is studying Polanski's case. His French lawyer, Herve Temime, has said he expects a court decision by the middle of the week.

A dual citizen of both France and Poland, Polanski fled the United States in 1978 having agreed in a plea bargain to admit to "unlawful sexual intercourse" with the girl, who testified that he had drugged and sodomised her.

The director of "Rosemary's Baby" and Oscar winner for "The Pianist" is married to French actress Emmanuelle Seigner and spends part of his time in Paris as well as Switzerland.

PennyQuilts
10-05-2009, 04:41 PM
In our country, celebrity makes it all okay. I lost complete faith in many when excuses were made for Clinton who engaged in a relationship with an intern young enough to be his daughter, apparently with no more thought than whether to order pepperoni or Italian Sausage.

And just watch, plenty of people will go to the mat for Letterman when they'd bounce their own spouse for such a betrayal. "Oh, he isn't a politician," or "that is his personal business," or "he nailed an extortionist," or "it was before he was married," blah, blah blah.

kevinpate
10-05-2009, 04:45 PM
I don't know the details of the family but part of me has to wonder ... did this girl not have any adult male relatives back in the day? I'm thinking not.

PennyQuilts
10-05-2009, 04:47 PM
I don't know the details of the family but part of me has to wonder ... did this girl not have any adult male relatives back in the day? I'm thinking not.

I'm thinking they were on the payroll and she was their meal ticket.

gmwise
10-05-2009, 05:59 PM
Not that this makes any difference but his wife was Sharon Tate, who was murder by the Manson "family".
His father was a survivor of the Holocaust.
His mother perished in the Auschwitz-Birkenau concentration camp.
Can you believe this makes a case to "forget" this?

PennyQuilts
10-05-2009, 06:16 PM
His personal tragedies don't give him a pass on sexually abusing a young girl.

I'm not generally a fan of making an example of someone but in his case - fleeing and living large after pleading guilty, coupled with his celebrity status which means plenty of idiots want to treat him like royalty, sends a horrible message. As a society, we need to protect kids from predators. Celebrity status, talent, personal tragedy are red herrings. It isn't about him. It is about the child. And yes, she (now grown) has gone on record of not wanting to pursue this but what about the kids out there who are vulnerable NOW? This sure won't help them and the only thing it could do would be to undermine that bright line that you don't sexually abuse children. No matter WHO you are. Period.

Hell, he hasn't even expressed much remorse. The man fled justice and has lived a damn nice life. Anyone who support him is morally bankrupt. IMO.

Bunty
10-05-2009, 06:59 PM
I'd sooner Oklahomans be more concerned that sometimes child molesters in Oklahoma are still only getting one year in prison.

PennyQuilts
10-05-2009, 07:21 PM
Bunty, I appreciate what you are saying but we really don't have to make a choice between wanting Polanski to be held fully accountable vs. wanting more punative penalties for Oklahoma child molesters.

RedDirt717
10-05-2009, 09:49 PM
The herd mentality here is pretty funny.

Not one of our liberal posters has expressed outrage on this.

Just one defending his actions with "He had a hard life" and another saying we should be more concerned with Oklahoma laws.

That's pretty disturbing.

JohnDenver
10-05-2009, 10:04 PM
I don't follow.

gmwise
10-06-2009, 12:15 AM
The herd mentality here is pretty funny.

Not one of our liberal posters has expressed outrage on this.

Just one defending his actions with "He had a hard life" and another saying we should be more concerned with Oklahoma laws.

That's pretty disturbing.

Reddirt
Are you saying you need remedial reading courses?
Not that this makes any difference but his wife was Sharon Tate, who was murder by the Manson "family".
His father was a survivor of the Holocaust.
His mother perished in the Auschwitz-Birkenau concentration camp.
Can you believe this makes a case to "forget" this?
As far as someone thinking we should learn from this and to make sure Oklahoma Laws dont have loopholes.
I think its important to learn from others to assure children in this state is safer.

gmwise
10-06-2009, 09:58 AM
The Swiss Justice Ministry says it has rejected an appeal from Roman Polanski to be released from prison pending his possible extradition to the United States.
Ministry spokesman Folco Galli told The AP on Tuesday that the government maintains there is a high risk that Polanski might flee if released from custody.
The appeal is separate from a court case Polanski's legal team filed last week that also seeks the 76-year-old director's freedom.
Polanski was arrested Sept. 26 as he arrived in Zurich to receive an award from a film festival.
U.S. authorities asked for his apprehension and want him extradited for having sex in 1977 with a 13-year-old girl.

Glad they rejected one of those appeals.

mugofbeer
10-06-2009, 10:56 AM
So, is there some reason why, after 30+ years, the US is just now pursuing this issue?

PennyQuilts
10-06-2009, 11:10 AM
Mugs, I don't know of a specific reason on the timing but I couldn't be happier. Damned perverted predator. Him, I mean.

JohnDenver
10-06-2009, 11:22 AM
So, is there some reason why, after 30+ years, the US is just now pursuing this issue?

LA county has tried 6 times over the years to get Switzerland to apprehend him. Roman owns a house in Switzerland and he thought he was safe there. This time, he wasn't. Why did they listen this time? I don't think anyone knows that. It is about time though.

gmwise
10-06-2009, 11:56 AM
Prosecutors sent a provisional arrest warrant to the U.S. Justice Department, which presented it to Swiss authorities. On at least two previous occasions, the district attorney’s office has received reports that Polanski had travel arrangements to countries with extradition treaties with the U.S. and prepared paperwork for his arrest, Gibbons said.

“But in the end, he apparently found out about it and didn’t go,” she said.

""He pleaded guilty to the lesser charge of unlawful sexual intercourse. In exchange, the judge agreed to drop the remaining charges and sentence him to prison for a 90-day psychiatric evaluation.

However, he was released after 42 days by an evaluator who deemed him mentally sound and unlikely to offend again.""

Polanski and the victim, Samantha Geimer, reached a $500,000 settlement in October 1993, according to documents recently released in Los Angeles.
He said in a interview he was glad it was behind him....

I dont see how he thought that was the case...

If that was my daughter it would have been.....shotgun style

kevinpate
10-06-2009, 04:38 PM
One article I read claimed it was because they never knew he was there before, until after he left, but this time it was well known he was coming.

Probably a convenient sound bite, if perhaps not entirely accurate, but who knows.

gmwise
10-06-2009, 06:23 PM
I dont think so Kevin.
I think all the pressure brought to bear through financial and diplomatic and trade scare the beejamies out of the Swiss.
It cut to the wallet the place where they live.lol

nighttrain12
10-07-2009, 09:58 PM
I think he should have gone to prison a long tme ago. What gets me is that the girl accepted money from the creep. Kinda sounds like off-setting penalties.

What's wrong with a convicted criminal paying money to his victim? It's not like she refused to testify in the criminal case and only took the money. She did testify and he was convicted. Once he serves serious jail time, he is in effect getting punished twice, criminally and civilly.

gmwise
10-08-2009, 10:54 AM
Nighttrain12,

I would agree if Polanski served time. He didnt.
He had a psy evaulation before he was sentenced.
He ranned before the sentence was issued.