View Full Version : OKC/Will Rogers Air Service Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13

Rover
11-21-2010, 09:43 PM
submitted my entry for OKC-JFK.

JFK is a pain compared to LaGuardia unless you are connecting for Europe. If you are going to Manhatten you don't want JFK.

HOT ROD
11-21-2010, 11:25 PM
i know, but I dont think we can be picky. If we can get JFK, let's do it - as it does offer opportunities (Int'l connections AND New York) that LGA does not.

bluedogok
11-22-2010, 07:38 PM
JFK is a pain compared to LaGuardia unless you are connecting for Europe. If you are going to Manhatten you don't want JFK.
We fly into JFK because that is the non-stop JetBlue flight from Austin lands. No options for LaGuardia without connections.

soonerguru
11-22-2010, 07:41 PM
It would be cool to have access to the international connections at JFK, but I would go to NYC three times for every international trip I would take. LGA is much better. Actually, Newark is fine if you're taking the train; cab not so much (very pricey).

OUman
11-23-2010, 07:45 AM
What would be interesting to see is how many of the 316 avg. passengers/day that fly to the New York City/Newark region fly to LGA, EWR ad JFK. A listing of passengers that fly to each airport, that way one would know what the demand is by airport and not just the total demand.

Of course, there still is the daily Newark Liberty flight with Continental Express that we have. I wonder how that's been doing.

By the way, although most of the flights to/from LGA still arrive from/depart to mainly cities in the northeast, a lot of flights have been added to the SE U.S., including smaller cities like Knoxville, Charleston, Asheville, Savannah, etc.

BG918
11-23-2010, 08:01 AM
What would be interesting to see is how many of the 316 avg. passengers/day that fly to the New York City/Newark region fly to LGA, EWR ad JFK. A listing of passengers that fly to each airport, that way one would know what the demand is by airport and not just the total demand.

Of course, there still is the daily Newark Liberty flight with Continental Express that we have. I wonder how that's been doing.

By the way, although most of the flights to/from LGA still arrive from/depart to mainly cities in the northeast, a lot of flights have been added to the SE U.S., including smaller cities like Knoxville, Charleston, Asheville, Savannah, etc.

I remember looking at that flight but it left really early and was twice as expensive as changing planes in either Dallas or Chicago. The non-stops are nice but are expensive and the times sometimes not convenient (unless you are flying there for a lunch meeting and then heading back in the evening).

ouespana
12-03-2010, 09:48 AM
SkyWest, when is the updated flyokc.com website supposed to be up and running?

SkyWestOKC
12-03-2010, 12:45 PM
I wish I knew.

I have been waiting all month for the October stats to be available. Normally they are available mid month for the previous month. It's December now, so now I am waiting to see October and November stats. I'd be happy if those were posted, much less a new website.

brianinok
12-03-2010, 05:01 PM
Newsok: WRWA traffic up (http://www.newsok.com/article/3519577)

SkyWestOKC
12-03-2010, 09:36 PM
I saw that, those numbers don't provide much data. Yes it's up 6%, but I like to see data per airline, number and type of operations, pounds of cargo moved, total landing weight, etc.. Detailed info.

venture
12-08-2010, 11:45 PM
Just a quick blurb from Delta adding a flight to Phoenix for the Fiesta Bowl.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Delta-Adding-More-than-4500-prnews-416660685.html?x=0&.v=1

2011 Fiesta Bowl: Oklahoma City to/from Phoenix

Flight - Departs - Arrives - Aircraft - Date(s) Operating
8775 - Oklahoma City at 7:10 p.m. - Phoenix at 8:40 p.m. - Boeing 757-200 - Dec. 30, 2010
8774 - Phoenix at 2 a.m. - Oklahoma City at 5 a.m. - Boeing MD-90 - Jan. 2, 2011

OUman
12-09-2010, 09:58 AM
Sweet, it will be nice to see a DL 752 at OKC, albeit only one of the few times seeing a 757 here. Although what's up with the timings for the return flight?

Dar405301
12-09-2010, 12:51 PM
i think the return flight is to accomodate fans coming home almost immediately after the game. i believe the game is on new year's day, so the flight being so early the next morning will allow people to get home quickly instead of spending money on a hotel room.

OUman
12-09-2010, 02:03 PM
^I see now.

SkyWestOKC
12-09-2010, 02:29 PM
Delta has it loaded in the schedules as an A320 to Phoenix, MD-90 returning.

A320 arriving in OKC from MSP (Minneapolis) at 6:30 PM local on the 30th, departing to Phoenix at 7:10 pm.

MD-90 arriving in OKC from PHX at 5:00am, departing for MSP at 0605 on the 2nd.

This means MSP-OKC will be 4x for the 30th, and OKC-MSP will be 4x for the 2nd.

Good find venture, haven't seen you around lately?

ljbab728
12-09-2010, 10:47 PM
i think the return flight is to accomodate fans coming home almost immediately after the game. i believe the game is on new year's day, so the flight being so early the next morning will allow people to get home quickly instead of spending money on a hotel room.

That could be part of the reason but it's more likely they are needing the plane for another route the next day and needed that schedule to get it in place.

venture
12-11-2010, 10:23 AM
That could be part of the reason but it's more likely they are needing the plane for another route the next day and needed that schedule to get it in place.

It actually is to accommodate those leaving from the game right away. This is setup similar to any charter that is normally operated for bowl games.

SWOKC - Yeah, I've been around just not a lot of free time. Had a new project I was working on for most of the summer and fall, but finally got away from it a couple weeks ago.

SkyWestOKC
12-11-2010, 11:15 PM
I hear you, I've been slammed lately myself.

Found this today. In the October 27, 2010 airport trust meeting, Director Kranenburg mentioned that Continental was looking into upgrading OKC-Newark up to mainline (Boeing 737). Of course, with airlines, until that flight is actually in the air, there's no guarantee of it ever occurring. Would be a good upgrade if it were to be true. Looking through the Continental schedule up until June (end of the schedule), it remains the same Embraer 145.

ljbab728
12-11-2010, 11:40 PM
It actually is to accommodate those leaving from the game right away. This is setup similar to any charter that is normally operated for bowl games.

SWOKC - Yeah, I've been around just not a lot of free time. Had a new project I was working on for most of the summer and fall, but finally got away from it a couple weeks ago.

Not necessarily. I've been involved in setting up packages with charter flights for OU bowl games before and flying back home after an evening game is not the norm. The airline wants as little down time for the plane as possible and that is a big issue in arranging flight times. While they try to make it as convenient as possible for the fans, that is not the only consideration.

SkyWestOKC
12-14-2010, 11:12 PM
October and November stats released.

http://flyokc.com/releases%5COctober%2010%20Enplanement.pdf
http://flyokc.com/releases%5CNovember10%20Enplanement.pdf

American is doing good, Southwest is doing very well. I wonder how much longer Frontier will remain in the OKC market? Down to 3x daily departures, and November's average load factors looks to be around 55-60% for them.

Look for Southwest to increase a frequency somewhere in the near future.

Celebrator
12-15-2010, 08:20 PM
Did you all hear about this? AA TUL-MIA To be discontinued
http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/article.aspx?subjectid=45&articleid=20101207_45_E2_CUTLIN672143&rss_lnk=5

ljbab728
12-15-2010, 11:38 PM
Did you all hear about this? AA TUL-MIA To be discontinued
http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/article.aspx?subjectid=45&articleid=20101207_45_E2_CUTLIN672143&rss_lnk=5

That's not surprising. That route was never based on the need for Tulsa to Miami service.

BG918
12-16-2010, 09:26 AM
It probably would've worked with daily non-stops and smaller aircraft. Weekend only is not the most attractive to a lot of people. Oklahoma-Florida connections never seem to last...

ChargerAg
12-16-2010, 10:25 AM
What are your thoughts on WN increasing frequency? Adding a couple flights to the same cities or maybe adding something new?

SkyWestOKC
12-16-2010, 01:44 PM
Probably somewhere they already fly. I could see Baltimore going 2x daily sometime in the near future. Phoenix to 3x also wouldn't be too surprising. Also with the AirTran merger, we will most likely see at least one flight (probably 2) to Atlanta.

ChargerAg
12-16-2010, 02:57 PM
Baltimore and ATL would rock.

If they could get a direct flight to San Fransisco without cutting through Las Vegas or Denver that would be awesome.

ljbab728
12-16-2010, 11:26 PM
I think a plus for Southwest would be adding nonstop to Chicago Midway instead of just onestop or connecting service.

ChargerAg
12-16-2010, 11:31 PM
the problem with that is alot of time they go from OKC - MCI - MDW. I direct shot to MDW would eat away at some of there kansas city traffic.

that being said i would really like it since they have of connection at MDW

ljbab728
12-17-2010, 12:33 AM
the problem with that is alot of time they go from OKC - MCI - MDW. I direct shot to MDW would eat away at some of there kansas city traffic.

that being said i would really like it since they have of connection at MDW

Adding nonstop flights always have some affect on connecting cities but Kansas City isn't a major issue. There is a significant market from OKC to Kansas City and there are other connection options in Kansas City besides Midway.

AAC2005
12-17-2010, 02:14 PM
^
Baltimore and ATL would rock.
^
^ nope. a second non-stop to BWI wouldn't rock my world at all...nope...wouldn't be prudent...it's unheard of! :ohno:
^
^
^
|
|
|

SkyWestOKC
01-10-2011, 05:15 PM
Ran across this, on Feb 25 DL will up-guage on of the ATL flights to a Boeing 737-700 (winglets). Arriving OKC at 1030am on the 25th, leaving at around 11am back to Atlanta. This is in addition to the MD-88 that leaves at 530-6am, so that day we will have 2 mainline flights to Atlanta.

Doesn't appear permanent, as the only day that flight is operated with that in the schedule is 25FEB. It does mean bookings are getting stronger, and they might be testing the market to see if it will support a little larger aircraft here and there. A similar thing happened in November when a flight to Detroit was up-guaged to a MD-88.

OUman
01-11-2011, 07:35 AM
^Interesting. DL also did something similar at AUS (Austin Bergstrom Int'l for those of you who don't know airport codes) a while back by introducing some weekend-only mainline flights to/from ATL, and now they're year-round. Of course confidence in the Austin market is much higher as supported by both, recently announced DL and CO mainline Cancun nonstops, so that's not a big surprise but I thought I would just mention that. Of course if Air Tran (FL) started OKC service it's a good bet that DL would revert back to all DL Connection RJ service only.

I think the stronger local economy would have a positive impact on local air passenger numbers (hopefully) and with an NBA team and such, provide for more air passenger through-put at OKC.

SkyWestOKC
01-12-2011, 07:39 PM
OK....December ended well, enplanements up 6.55% and deplanements up 4.77% over December 2009.

Seems to be the same as usual, Southwest is killing right now, Delta is doing good (take in to account the NW acquisition which artificially inflates the numbers), American and United seem to hold pretty steady. Frontier is worrying me....

This results to 3,466,127 total passengers for the 2010 year. Up 2.4% over last year's 3,384,671.

2010 was the break-even year.....hopefully this positive trend will continue and 2011 will be a break-out year. I'm starting to have doubts though....oil is getting expensive again.

OUman
01-12-2011, 07:51 PM
I just checked the Continental schedules to Houston for March (I was searching for flights to IAH since I have to travel) and saw that Continental Express has replaced a few ERJs daily with Colgan Air Dash 8-Q400s. These are the 70-seat turboprops. Travel time is pretty much the same as for the RJs since they are fairly quick by prop standards and I have heard they are very low w/r to the noise level in the cabin, about the same as for the jets, if not lower.

brianinok
01-12-2011, 09:49 PM
I just checked the Continental schedules to Houston for March (I was searching for flights to IAH since I have to travel) and saw that Continental Express has replaced a few ERJs daily with Colgan Air Dash 8-Q400s. These are the 70-seat turboprops. Travel time is pretty much the same as for the RJs since they are fairly quick by prop standards and I have heard they are very low w/r to the noise level in the cabin, about the same as for the jets, if not lower.Continental/United can kiss my business goodbye with turboprops. I don't fly turboprops. If there is a RJ (or even better-- a mainline) that is what I will fly on.

SkyWestOKC
01-12-2011, 10:24 PM
The props are only in the schedule for about a month and are only 3 flights or so to Houston. Very small compared to the combined 23 flights a day they will have.

MustangGT
01-13-2011, 06:12 AM
I really have no difficulties with turboprops for short hops but I will give NO business to Colgan Air for until they show the have overcome their past mistakes.

OUman
01-13-2011, 09:34 AM
I really don't understand why people dislike the newer turboprops. They're actually more comfortable than some RJs like the CRJ and ERJ, fly just as fast (which, for short hops doesn't make much difference in travel time) and are just as quiet. I've flown in a brand new ATR 72-500, and I liked it. The noise level was actually less than in a CRJ. Frontier has been flying its Q400s between DEN and OKC regularly for the past few years.

The props are only in the schedule for about a month and are only 3 flights or so to Houston. Very small compared to the combined 23 flights a day they will have.

By 23 flights a day you mean the entire Q400 operation at IAH right? I'll be most likely flying down to the southeast Texas area for a wedding in March, I might just book myself on one of those Q400s, it will be a new aircraft model for me, I've never been in those.

venture
01-13-2011, 09:51 AM
Continental/United can kiss my business goodbye with turboprops. I don't fly turboprops. If there is a RJ (or even better-- a mainline) that is what I will fly on.

Your lack of education of what the service on a Q400 is like is quite apparent. What we should be saying is that this is a great move since it is a net increase in more seatings...going from a 50-seat aircraft to 70-seats. The Q400s are just as fast as a jet, quieter, and tons more fuel efficient. I wish more airlines would get them and get away from the small (50 seat or less) jets that are killing their balance sheets.

I really have no difficulties with turboprops for short hops but I will give NO business to Colgan Air for until they show the have overcome their past mistakes.

I can respect that. At least they won't have to worry about icing down here...as much. :-/

SkyWestOKC
01-13-2011, 10:06 PM
ARINC broke ground today on the new hangar.

SkyWestOKC
01-22-2011, 01:10 PM
Looks like American has changed up the flight times for the new LAX flight.

LAX-OKC CRJ-700
Dep 910am Arr 200pm

OKC-LAX CRJ-700
Dep 240pm Arr 345pm

Hopefully it works out, was really hoping to have that morning departure to LAX... I would have used that a few times over the summer to visit family. This looks to be adjusted for LAX-OKC traffic, instead of OKC-LAX traffic. Which I don't know what to think about it yet.

jmarkross
01-22-2011, 01:17 PM
Looks like American has changed up the flight times for the new LAX flight.

LAX-OKC CRJ-700
Dep 910am Arr 200pm

OKC-LAX CRJ-700
Dep 240pm Arr 345pm

Hopefully it works out, was really hoping to have that morning departure to LAX... I would have used that a few times over the summer to visit family. This looks to be adjusted for LAX-OKC traffic, instead of OKC-LAX traffic. Which I don't know what to think about it yet.

Happen to know what the aircraft is on these flights Skywest?

SkyWestOKC
01-22-2011, 01:53 PM
CRJ-700.....70 seat jet.

jmarkross
01-22-2011, 02:09 PM
CRJ-700.....70 seat jet.

Oh...Bombardier's...wide body is a thing of the past for smaller markets...

OUman
01-22-2011, 02:18 PM
Oh...Bombardier's...wide body is a thing of the past for smaller markets...

Um, I guess you meant narrowbody, which OKC has. OKC has never had scheduled widebodies, even in the past. Now Sun Country's DC 10s... it used to fly them here only for charter sevice. That was back in the early-mid 90s, when the whole plane load would probably take up the entire Concourse B rotunda lol. I saw it myself in person when I was flying out. Quite a sight at the terminal back then.

As for markets like Oklahoma City, unless it was a guaranteed plane load, there have rarely been 767s/above scheduled. The planes just won't be profitable here.

jmarkross
01-22-2011, 02:20 PM
Um, I guess you meant narrowbody, which OKC has. OKC has never had scheduled widebodies, even in the past. Now Sun Country's DC 10s... it used to fly them here only for charter sevice. That was back in the early-mid 90s, when the whole plane load would probably take up the entire Concourse B rotunda lol. I saw it myself in person when I was flying out. Quite a sight at the terminal back then.

As for markets like OKC, unless it was a guaranteed plane load, there have rarely been 767s/above scheduled. The planes just won't be profitable here.

Well...way back in the 1970's...I used to take American DC-10's out of WRW...long time ago, though...and there were some others as well...

OUman
01-22-2011, 04:01 PM
^Ahh, before I was born then. It's nice to know they were here back then.

jmarkross
01-22-2011, 04:17 PM
^Ahh, before I was born then. It's nice to know they were here back then.

I wish we would put ages of posters right behind the name--not that it matters, only would help when you consider the response to what you read or write...what seems like yesterday to me might before someone's parents were born... ha!

OUman
01-22-2011, 08:48 PM
^I see what you mean. I have been around almost 30 years so maybe not that young relatively speaking. Only I wish I was born earlier aviation-wise, I could have made it into a 707 or DC 8. I have had the chance to fly in the L 1011 and the DC 9 though. :-):)

jmarkross
01-23-2011, 09:23 AM
^I see what you mean. I have been around almost 30 years so maybe not that young relatively speaking. Only I wish I was born earlier aviation-wise, I could have made it into a 707 or DC 8. I have had the chance to fly in the L 1011 and the DC 9 though. :-):)

I think you would have. Back when runways were much shorter...pilots had to go full throttle at takeoff to get off the ground...I loved most the BAC-111's Braniff used to fly (British Trident--three-engine jets, like 727's) they had powerful Rolls-Royce engines and when you got lined up to go...the pilot would hold the brakes on and then when he got the engine roaring really good--he'd release the brakes and you would be pressed back in your seat--big time! A hell of a lot of fun! Big jets are the dullest to ride in, but more comfortable. Prop planes were great--you got a vibration Shiatsu massage the whole time!

I have flown on lots of 707's, 727's (very fast MF's), Lockheed Electras, DC-8's, Convair 880's, DC-9's--I go back to the days when Braniff was king around Oklahoma...and Southwest Airlines was Tran-Texas Airways...and had the joy of a few Houston-to-Dallas trips in the early Southwest Days when they had the 5pm "beer-bust" flights that served all-you-want beer on the ride. Not recommended for those with small bladders--the restroom line was substantial...ha!

OUman
01-23-2011, 10:20 AM
Haha, good stuff! I think there are some photos of Braniff 727s at OKC on the web if I recall. I did not know about the Southwest beer-bust flights, funny!

jmarkross
01-23-2011, 10:52 AM
Haha, good stuff! I think there are some photos of Braniff 727s at OKC on the web if I recall. I did not know about the Southwest beer-bust flights, funny!

The beer-bust flights was where they got the angle of crazy and funny flight attendants...still working for them, I have always liked Southwest...I don't expect a big meal experience at 35,000 feet--I mean--how dumb is that! Airlines are bus lines, travel light, minimal baggage...I get driven to distraction with people who think of it as some kind of big time. It was in 1960--in Doris Day movies--not today.

Kerry
01-23-2011, 06:47 PM
...I don't expect a big meal experience at 35,000 feet--I mean--how dumb is that...

Back in the day it was the only you could get a meal on your trip. Airports weren't like they are today. When I was connecting through ATL twice a week I always got Popeye's chicken in Terminal B and ate it on the plane. I should have bought two meals and sold one on the plane to the higest bidder because 30 mintues into a 4 hour flight to San Fran I could sense every within aroma range wanting some.

SkyWestOKC
01-25-2011, 03:45 PM
The operator of the concessions inside of Will Rogers will be updating the stores sometime this year.

We will have:
CNBC News OKC*
CNBC News Express *,**
Pops Travelmart ***
Bricktown Marketplace
EA Sports
Brighton
InMotion Entertainment.

*Already have, won't change
**Pre-Security
*** 2 locations, one in the West Concourse, the other in the central concourse.

Not sure if we have Pops Travelmart, I don't think we do. So everything except for the CNBC stores/marts the rest will be new.

Note: this isn't an addition to the retail, the current retail contracts are up so they are switching stores/themes.

okclee
01-25-2011, 03:50 PM
Those all sound like very good upgrades, can't wait to see them opened.

SkyWestOKC
01-26-2011, 06:20 PM
Today at the airport trust.

http://okc.gov/AgendaPub/view.aspx?cabinet=published_meetings&fileid=1128373

Long read, basically:
When the new Portland Ave. alignment is completed (let out for bid this month). They will try and turn part of the land on the East Side of the airport (adjacent to I-44) into business, hotel, retail, and a "Small Urban Retail Village." The parts anyway that won't be on the same side of the street as Portland and won't have airfield access. Might as well do something with the land. The urbanites on the forums should love this, although the plans don't involve residential. (With good reason, not many people want to live across the street from the airport (I wouldn't mind, in fact I'd love it).) But this is a start to some development near the airport. They are designing Portland to be pedestrian friendly with sidewalks and crosswalks (in the urban village type thing) and no outparcel sites or freestanding restaraunts/shops are in favor, development needs to be atleast two story buildings with floor level retail and 2nd level office. Person in mind, car on the backburner. The exception to that seems to be a gas station or two.

I don't have time to read through it again, so I hope I got all of that right. It's a long read, but skimming over it wouldn't hurt you. It's interesting I think.

SkyWestOKC
01-26-2011, 07:23 PM
http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/9805/okcterm.jpg

Here is a map of the proposed retail locations inside of the terminal.

Kerry
01-26-2011, 07:58 PM
With good reason, not many people want to live across the street from the airport (I wouldn't mind, in fact I'd love it).

I would love to live in a condo over looking the runway. That would be awesome. I wouldn't even have a TV and I would face the sofa towards the window.

SkyWestOKC
01-26-2011, 08:04 PM
Same.

ljbab728
01-26-2011, 11:28 PM
I read through a small part of that and it looks like a very ambitious project. There was one section that I'm not sure how well thought out it was though.

It reads:

"Finally, there is also a need for a large home improvement store like Home Depot or Lowe's, which could also be enhanced by a smaller hardware store and complimentay home improvement stores (carpet, tile, paint, window coverings, etc.)."

Maybe I'm not familiar with how things work but why would a store like Home Depot or Lowe's want to build in a location where stores with competing products would be located? Would that be like how most of the furniture stores in OKC congregate in one area?