View Full Version : OKC/Will Rogers Air Service Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13

Lauri101
10-15-2010, 01:57 PM
I'm not personally a great fan of the MD-80 either...but that has more to do with the craptacular way American Airlines maintains (or doesn't) them. They just don't feel as smooth in flight as the 737. ..(snip)..

I agree - I spent 90 minutes on an American MD-80, stuck at DFW yesterday. They loaded the entire plane, THEN told us there were holes in the bottom of plane that needed patching. At least we stayed at the gate with forward door open so we had a bit of airflow during shutdown. Flying SW on Monday, thank goodness!

okclee
10-15-2010, 03:16 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs823.snc4/68343_10100349563259300_7923939_65292194_7200926_n .jpg

My friend took this photo while flying out of Houston Intercontinental this morning.

Is the airport being overtaken by UFO's? In that pic they are everywhere!!

GoThunder
10-15-2010, 03:39 PM
Random question... Is there any good place to spot planes at Will Rogers without being in violation of any laws?

SkyWestOKC
10-15-2010, 04:18 PM
Parking Garage and the Post Office. If you don't have a SIDA badge, I wouldn't recommend any other places. I always wear my SIDA badge while spotting.

Steve
10-15-2010, 04:34 PM
Interesting.

ouespana
10-15-2010, 07:23 PM
When is the updated website going to be in place?

ljbab728
10-15-2010, 10:57 PM
Parking Garage and the Post Office. If you don't have a SIDA badge, I wouldn't recommend any other places. I always wear my SIDA badge while spotting.

One thing I miss about the old terminal is the tower for the public to watch planes from.

SkyWestOKC
10-15-2010, 11:42 PM
I contacted the airport director about an official spotting place. He told me thanks but no thanks. We considered it but never followed through. Oh well.

What is so interesting, Steve?

SkyWestOKC
10-18-2010, 08:15 PM
http://flyokc.com/releases%5CSeptember%2010%20Activity.pdf

Overall good numbers. Need to bring cargo up though.

ljbab728
10-18-2010, 10:59 PM
http://flyokc.com/releases%5CSeptember%2010%20Activity.pdf

Overall good numbers. Need to bring cargo up though.

The September passenger totals are definitely encouraging. I also found it interesting about the significant increases at Wiley Post.

okclee
10-19-2010, 09:30 AM
Here's the article in todays DOK, flights up in Okc down a little in Tulsa.

http://newsok.com/air-travel-up-in-oklahoma-city-as-holidays-approach/article/3505811?custom_click=lead_story_title

SkyWestOKC
10-19-2010, 10:19 AM
Tulsa's loss is 2% down versus last year's losses....which were a significant decline as that is when the industry fell apart. So, they are in a bad situation of being down on top of being down. OKC is just gaining back the losses we took last year. Which is a much better spot to be in. Good news for Lawton, too.

ljbab728
10-19-2010, 10:36 PM
Tulsa's loss is 2% down versus last year's losses....which were a significant decline as that is when the industry fell apart. So, they are in a bad situation of being down on top of being down. OKC is just gaining back the losses we took last year. Which is a much better spot to be in. Good news for Lawton, too.

I have to wonder if part of Tulsa's problem isn't the rise of Northwest Arkansas Regional. I'm sure that takes away a lot of traffic that used to go out of Tulsa.

Richard at Remax
10-20-2010, 03:03 PM
American & American Eagle annouce new nonstop service from OKC to LAX next spring.

http://aa.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=3044

okclee
10-20-2010, 03:09 PM
^^ That is excellent news!!

Especially for all of the California residents that are reported to be moving here.

BG918
10-20-2010, 03:21 PM
I have to wonder if part of Tulsa's problem isn't the rise of Northwest Arkansas Regional. I'm sure that takes away a lot of traffic that used to go out of Tulsa.

I think so. Very similar to if Lawton all of sudden had flights to Houston, Denver, Chicago, Atlanta, Minneapolis, Memphis, Los Angeles, New York, etc. That would suck a lot of traffic from SW Oklahoma that now uses Will Rogers. Same thing for NWA and the far northeastern counties in Oklahoma, whereas many people there used to fly out of Tulsa before they built the new airport. Interesting that XNA has non-stops to both New York LaGuardia and Charlotte while OKC and TUL do not. They also have the Comair non-stop to Cincinnati that TUL and OKC used to have but lost when Delta downgraded their hub there.

SkyWestOKC
10-20-2010, 03:29 PM
Hopefully this will not affect United too much. It would be excellent if we could support 3x daily to LAX (2x UA 1x AA)

Great news, nonetheless!

Pete
10-20-2010, 04:01 PM
Really happy to see AA add a nonstop to LAX!

I took the United flight back to LAX yesterday and it was only about half full, but it was a Tuesday.

metro
10-20-2010, 04:14 PM
I think so. Very similar to if Lawton all of sudden had flights to Houston, Denver, Chicago, Atlanta, Minneapolis, Memphis, Los Angeles, New York, etc. That would suck a lot of traffic from SW Oklahoma that now uses Will Rogers. Same thing for NWA and the far northeastern counties in Oklahoma, whereas many people there used to fly out of Tulsa before they built the new airport. Interesting that XNA has non-stops to both New York LaGuardia and Charlotte while OKC and TUL do not. They also have the Comair non-stop to Cincinnati that TUL and OKC used to have but lost when Delta downgraded their hub there.

There is a good reason for that in NWAR unlike Lawton. The largest retailer in the world is based there and require anyone that does business with Walmart to have a regional office there. Lots of executive, white collar flights coming out of there. I'm confident Walmart probably has some high level offices in NYC as well. Charlotte is a financial city so again good reason. People that haven't been are really underestimating the rapid growth of NWAR. Lawton doesn't have much going for it other than Ft. Sill.

BG918
10-20-2010, 08:05 PM
There is a good reason for that in NWAR unlike Lawton. The largest retailer in the world is based there and require anyone that does business with Walmart to have a regional office there. Lots of executive, white collar flights coming out of there. I'm confident Walmart probably has some high level offices in NYC as well. Charlotte is a financial city so again good reason. People that haven't been are really underestimating the rapid growth of NWAR. Lawton doesn't have much going for it other than Ft. Sill.

I wasn't comparing Lawton to NWA. I was saying having NWA develop an airport with numerous non-stop flights rivaling those at OKC and TUL less than 2 hours from Tulsa draws people away from Tulsa that OKC doesn't experience. OKC is the only major airport for all of central, western, and south-central Oklahoma.

OUman
10-20-2010, 09:32 PM
^"Numerous" is probably not the term I would use, espcially when XNA (Northwest Arkansas Regional) has about 45 daily departures. More destinations than OKC, yes, but nowhere near the frequencies. And from what I know, there's not much to choose from in the terminal if you want to eat or drink something.

SkyWestOKC
10-20-2010, 10:33 PM
Really happy to see AA add a nonstop to LAX!

I took the United flight back to LAX yesterday and it was only about half full, but it was a Tuesday.

During the spring and summer our LAX flights were oversold in both cabins, for most every day from March/April-ish through September. September and October are dead months for travel. So, that would explain the weak loads yesterday.

I think if timed properly (not head-to-head against UA), all 3 flights will work fine.

HOT ROD
10-20-2010, 11:14 PM
I hope so. it is wonderful for OKC to have great options - and excellent access to/from LA is a big bonus.

I wish United would give OKC a UAX from SFO and SEA - then United's network to OKC would be complete. ...

If AA gave OKC a flight to MIA and LGA/JFK, then AA would be complete too.

It does appear OKC is moving back towards 'normal' capacity.

ljbab728
10-21-2010, 12:13 AM
I hope so. it is wonderful for OKC to have great options - and excellent access to/from LA is a big bonus.

I wish United would give OKC a UAX from SFO and SEA - then United's network to OKC would be complete. ...

If AA gave OKC a flight to MIA and LGA/JFK, then AA would be complete too.

It does appear OKC is moving back towards 'normal' capacity.

I have doubts that OKC to MIA would be that successful since that would mainly for leisure travelers and would be seasonal. OKC to LGA would be a very good option though to compete with the current OKC to EWR operated by Continental (soon to be United).

HOT ROD
10-21-2010, 01:39 AM
I was mainly thinking a 50 seat option to MIA, to at least give us a presence. Even if it was only a few days a week (probably not daily), that would -again- give us nonstop options. And would pretty much complete OKC's roster of nonstop flights to the major hub airports.

SkyWestOKC
10-21-2010, 12:07 PM
Looks like UA is adding IAD-TUL.

SkyWestOKC
10-22-2010, 07:46 PM
Beginning in January, OKC-IAH (Houston) on United (Continental and United merging) will upgrade from 8x ERJ-145 1x B73x to 7x ERJ-145 (50 seater) 1x CRJ-700 (66 seater w/ First Class) 1x B73x (Boeing 737, depending on type 114-180~ seats)

No change to EWR (Newark), yet. No changes for Tulsa yet.

Not a huge change, but it does show there is some interest on adding more capacity to OKC.

ouespana
10-22-2010, 08:00 PM
SkyWest, any word on when the updated Will Rogers website will be in place?

HOT ROD
10-22-2010, 10:49 PM
Speaking of the new United, anybody have an idea of their gate configuration at WRWA? IIRC, United is at 3 and 5; no idea where CO is; will they just use United's gates or will they take over an end or a side of one of the concourses?

SkyWestOKC
10-22-2010, 11:00 PM
UA is 3,5 CO is 9,11. They can run their combined operation on 3 gates if they had to. I think it would be wiser to keep a 4th gate, for the morning and evening rushes.

ljbab728
10-22-2010, 11:41 PM
The airlines aren't fond of schedules using just a few days a week except on some international destinations. It makes it much more difficult to coordinate all of their schedules to use the planes in the most efficient manner.

SkyWestOKC
10-28-2010, 07:07 PM
We lose mainline to Atlanta on Delta effective January 3rd, 2011.

SkyWestOKC
10-31-2010, 11:54 AM
Here's the times for the new AA LAX service beginning April 5th.

flt num....dep city.....dep. time.....arr. city.....arr time....frequency....equipment

AA3799.... LAX........ 750pm.......... OKC......... 1235am (+1).... Daily... CRJ-700

AA3798.... OKC....... 700am........... LAX .........0805am........... Daily... CR7-700

The morning flight to LAX should do well, the late evening arrival...we'll see. Available for booking on AA.com.

ljbab728
10-31-2010, 10:49 PM
Here's the times for the new AA LAX service beginning April 5th.

flt num....dep city.....dep. time.....arr. city.....arr time....frequency....equipment

AA3799.... LAX........ 750pm.......... OKC......... 1235am (+1).... Daily... CRJ-700

AA3798.... OKC....... 700am........... LAX .........0805am........... Daily... CR7-700

The morning flight to LAX should do well, the late evening arrival...we'll see. Available for booking on AA.com.

I agree that it's a very late return flight. It works well for business travelers who want a full day there before returning though. I get requests from my customers all of the time for evening return flights from California and there just aren't many options for that. As for booking, it can be booked through any normal channels, not just at AA.com.

SkyWestOKC
10-31-2010, 11:01 PM
I meant, available as in it's ready to sell. Not just announced and not in the booking engine yet -- which happens a lot. Of course you can book it just about anywhere, sorry for the confusion, I wasn't clear. There really isn't much choice, they need that aircraft to RON (Remain over night) in OKC and by having it sit here in OKC longer than it needs to would be counterproductive to making a profit.

SkyWestOKC
10-31-2010, 11:25 PM
Also, would like to add, that the OKC-LAX market has grown this year. The O/D for Quarter 2, 2010 was 222 passengers per day. (111 each way). Quarter 2, 2009 was 176 pax per day (88 each way). That does not count connecting passengers, which these flights have. Growing market with growing connection opportunities, hopefully all 3 of our LAX flights will work.

ljbab728
10-31-2010, 11:46 PM
Also, would like to add, that the OKC-LAX market has grown this year. The O/D for Quarter 2, 2010 was 222 passengers per day. (111 each way). Quarter 2, 2009 was 176 pax per day (88 each way). That does not count connecting passengers, which these flights have. Growing market with growing connection opportunities, hopefully all 3 of our LAX flights will work.

The possibilites for connections are significant because LAX rarely has weather related issues. When making connections at LAX the chance of delays or missed connections are much less than when connecting in Denver or SLC especially during Winter months.

HOT ROD
11-01-2010, 12:52 AM
those times sound good.

I too hope the three flights to LA work and more are added (and/or bumped up). Could Delta be next?

ljbab728
11-01-2010, 12:55 AM
those times sound good.

I too hope the three flights to LA work and more are added (and/or bumped up). Could Delta be next?

It's not likely another airline will jump into this any time soon. If so, they should look at Ontario Airport instead of LAX. I took the old nonstops that we used to have into Ontario and while it's not as convenient to many areas, the airport is considerably less congested and easier to navigate to and from.

HOT ROD
11-01-2010, 01:07 AM
lj, I dont doubt what you're saying. I only mentioned Delta because they are supposedly trying to consider if they want to expand in LA.

BG918
11-01-2010, 07:28 AM
It's not likely another airline will jump into this any time soon. If so, they should look at Ontario Airport instead of LAX. I took the old nonstops that we used to have into Ontario and while it's not as convenient to many areas, the airport is considerably less congested and easier to navigate to and from.

Ah, ExpressJet, how I miss thee. Great airline but just couldn't compete with the big boys.

SkyWestOKC
11-01-2010, 05:39 PM
Here's some desirable markets for the OKC area, and hopefully in the next few years we will see permanent service of some kind to some these destinations.

Using Q2, 2010 data.

New York City, 316 passengers per day on average, 158 each way.
Orlando, FL, 277 passengers per day on average, 138.5 each way.
Seattle, WA, 192 passengers per day on average, 96 each way.
San Diego, CA, 161 passengers per day on average, 80.5 each way.
Tampa, FL, 150 passengers per day on average, 75 each way.
San Antonio, TX, 149 passengers per day on average, 74.5 each way.
Sacramento, CA, 136 passengers per day on average, 68 each way.
San Francisco, CA, 122 passengers per day on average, 61 each way.**

*If Oakland and San Jose, both very nearby cities are included to SFO's numbers, SFO becomes 216 avg. per day, 108 e/w.

In a related note, the OKC airport has agreed to a contract with InterVISTAs, a well-known airline, airport, and transportation consultant to help recruit more air service to OKC. They have done work for many similar sized airports, as well very large ones such as LAX, SEA, TPA, etc. They are also clients of many airlines. Hopefully they can present OKC's case to airlines and get some more nonstops going for us.

HOT ROD
11-01-2010, 07:22 PM
sounds good.

Given the demand for NYC, I wonder why there is only CO to EWR and a regional jet at that. Why not a regional jet to EWR on United/CO AND something to JFK on say Jet Blue!!!! Also, I wonder why Alaska Air isn't capturing the Seattle demand. They could easily turn one of their mtc trips into a revenue flight, much like AA does with many to Tulsa. Orlando. Orlando. Orlando. ...... Hmm, can't really figure this one out other than the placement of flights always seems to be issues on the OKC-ORL route; I wonder why EVERY airline that tries it keeps using the SAME departure time (which has always/consistently failed).

Hopefully, InterVISTA can help with not only marketing OKC but PROPERLY marketing OKC so we can capture/expand in some of those cities on SkyWest's list. Again, if we're going to do ORL then we need the flight to match public demand and not just put a plane in so it can be routed to 'better serve' Omaha, for example. OKC is the bigger market yet OMA has better demand, so I would think it wouldn't matter as much for OMA as much as it did for OKC when the departures took place.

I think you could also most probably combine Sacramento (only 80 miles away) into SFO numbers too, bringing the total for the SFO/Northern California to at least 352 - more than justifying United to have a mainline presence. Similarly, you could combine ORL and TPA markets to get 427. Hope InterVISTA can do the math and put these 'easy' pitches in play. Might make things a bit easier to sell if they created some promotions (like NBA, event/sport/hotel packages).

okclee
11-01-2010, 09:17 PM
In a related note, the OKC airport has agreed to a contract with InterVISTAs, a well-known airline, airport, and transportation consultant to help recruit more air service to OKC. They have done work for many similar sized airports, as well very large ones such as LAX, SEA, TPA, etc. They are also clients of many airlines. Hopefully they can present OKC's case to airlines and get some more nonstops going for us.

This sounds like HUGE news!!

ljbab728
11-01-2010, 11:31 PM
sounds good.

Given the demand for NYC, I wonder why there is only CO to EWR and a regional jet at that. Why not a regional jet to EWR on United/CO AND something to JFK on say Jet Blue!!!! departures took place.

JFK is only convenient for those making international connections or traveling to the Eastern NYC metro area. Most business and vacation travelers are headed to Manhattan leaving EWR and LGA as the best options.

soonerguru
11-01-2010, 11:35 PM
JFK is only convenient for those making international connections or traveling to the Eastern NYC metro area. Most business and vacation travelers are headed to Manhattan leaving EWR and LGA as the best options.

Agree! Getting to and from Kennedy is a haul. We need service to LaGuardia.

HOT ROD
11-02-2010, 12:44 AM
guys, we wont get nonstop service to LGA and there are a variety of reasons. Our best hope for expansion to NYC right now is 1) upgrade from United/Continental to EWR of either additional flights and/or mainline and/or 2) JFK service most likely from Jet Blue.

also, getting to/from JFK isn't as hard as it used to be now with the Air Train connecting to the subway network. By getting a flight to JFK, you could serve both interests (Int'l connections to Europe/Africa AND business/tourism sectors). This is why I think OKC/InterVISTA should shoot for the non-stop route(s).

ljbab728
11-02-2010, 10:42 PM
guys, we wont get nonstop service to LGA and there are a variety of reasons. Our best hope for expansion to NYC right now is 1) upgrade from United/Continental to EWR of either additional flights and/or mainline and/or 2) JFK service most likely from Jet Blue.

also, getting to/from JFK isn't as hard as it used to be now with the Air Train connecting to the subway network. By getting a flight to JFK, you could serve both interests (Int'l connections to Europe/Africa AND business/tourism sectors). This is why I think OKC/InterVISTA should shoot for the non-stop route(s).

JFK would still be a hard sell to any of my customers going to Manhattan. For the novice vacationer, I would never recommend it. And I doubt there is any more chance of getting slots for nonstops to JFK than to LGA.

HOT ROD
11-02-2010, 11:01 PM
I think it is a better chance since LGA is heavily regulated and most of those slots are used for NorthEast and Chicago shuttle flights. Very rare is there anything out of LGA that goes further from those key markets. But unless JetBlue can do it - we probably don't need to worry about picking up JFK, but in my opinion it would be nice to have a presence there. Our best hope might have to come from United/Continental but that would be another flight to EWR and/or upgrade.

ljbab728
11-02-2010, 11:21 PM
I think it is a better chance since LGA is heavily regulated and most of those slots are used for NorthEast and Chicago shuttle flights. Very rare is there anything out of LGA that goes further from those key markets. But unless JetBlue can do it - we probably don't need to worry about picking up JFK, but in my opinion it would be nice to have a presence there. Our best hope might have to come from United/Continental but that would be another flight to EWR and/or upgrade.

At least fares to NYC should improve with Southwest starting service into EWR and LGA. We can do EWR through STL and LGA through MDW. Other airlines will have to compete on fares.

HOT ROD
11-03-2010, 01:47 AM
that is good news lj.

SkyWestOKC
11-04-2010, 01:59 PM
http://www.jetblue.com/email/citysuggest.asp?intcmp=where_we_fly1

Worth a shot at least.

HOT ROD
11-04-2010, 03:52 PM
submitted my entry for OKC-JFK.

SkyWestOKC
11-12-2010, 09:15 PM
Some new Delta changes:

OKC-DTW (Detroit) will upgrade to mainline for Friday the 19th of November.

Also, regarding Delta mainline to ATL, it will end early January. It will get added back in the beginning of March through the end of the schedule. With this change we will also gain another flight, bumping it back up to 6x daily, starting May 1, 2011.

OKC-DTW will return to 3x daily beginning May 1, 2011. All CRJ-700 for now.

This puts us at 78 total departures per day in May, according to the latest schedules.

HOT ROD
11-13-2010, 12:36 AM
any idea of the mainliner delta plans to use?

betts
11-13-2010, 12:43 AM
Just flew to ATL last week and it was wonderful to fly an MD 80 instead of a CRJ (forgive me if I got the particular plane wrong, as I'm not that knowledgeable about air frames, but hopefully you get my point). Both flights were absolutely packed, including the one at 6 in the morning.

ljbab728
11-13-2010, 12:45 AM
any idea of the mainliner delta plans to use?

They will have an MD88.

HOT ROD
11-13-2010, 01:06 AM
good news betts, hopefully we can keep it or even upgrade to 757. ....

ljbab728
11-13-2010, 01:11 AM
good news betts, hopefully we can keep it or even upgrade to 757. ....

757's are nice HOT ROD, but OKC is better served to have more frequent service than by having larger planes.

GoThunder
11-21-2010, 06:12 PM
http://www.kfor.com/news/local/kfor-news-body-scanning-machines-airports-story,0,2145957.story