View Full Version : First day (?) of School?

papaOU
08-25-2009, 06:03 PM
What memories linger dealing with the first day or so of school?

Mine is how clean everything smelled. Halls, locker,........

I still love the smell of new textbooks. Some people love that new car smell...

Give me that new book smell.................:tiphat:

nik4411
08-25-2009, 07:04 PM
oh i agree there is nothing like the smell of a brand new book

Thunder
08-25-2009, 09:19 PM
Being helluva nervous and uneasy during the first few days.

papaOU
08-28-2009, 03:38 PM
The Capitol Hill Beacon
August 26, 1954:

Capitol Hill schools expect 20,000 students, a third of the City's enrollment. The number of teachers and enrollment is given for 33 south-side schools. Teachers are listed for each school. Teachers at Crooked Oak are listed.

oneforone
08-28-2009, 11:54 PM
oh i agree there is nothing like the smell of a brand new book

New tires is another awesome smell.... then again I am gearhead.

Generals64
08-12-2010, 11:48 AM
Memories:....have any of your first day of school (any school year)?....I remember getting to have the same teacher in the third grade that I had in the second...Only thing is she didn't wait for me, she went off and got married......still have a crush on her.....Mrs. Meeks are you out there?????

papaOU
08-12-2010, 06:37 PM
Memories:....have any of your first day of school (any school year)?....I remember getting to have the same teacher in the third grade that I had in the second...Only thing is she didn't wait for me, she went off and got married......still have a crush on her.....Mrs. Meeks are you out there?????

That happened to me as well. Of course she was a nun.:tiphat:

MadMonk
08-12-2010, 07:51 PM
I always liked getting brand new book covers...a clean palette for my doodling pleasure.

Generals64
08-23-2010, 01:09 PM
You know, this is the first full week of school....My wife has taught school for over 40 years and she retired this year.....Bless her heart....but, she almost cried on Thursday when school started. first time since she was in Kindergarten that she wasn't in school on opening day....sheesh, she went down and signed up to be a substitute.....oh well...

papaOU
08-23-2010, 05:41 PM
You know, this is the first full week of school....My wife has taught school for over 40 years and she retired this year.....Bless her heart....but, she almost cried on Thursday when school started. first time since she was in Kindergarten that she wasn't in school on opening day....sheesh, she went down and signed up to be a substitute.....oh well...

I thought she cried every time you have found your way back home. :tiphat:

skyrick
08-23-2010, 05:49 PM
What memories linger dealing with the first day or so of school?

Mine is how clean everything smelled. Halls, locker,........

I still love the smell of new textbooks. Some people love that new car smell...

Give me that new book smell.................:tiphat:

I remember how school started after Labor Day and was over before Memorial Day.

As for smells...pencil shavings!

papaOU
08-23-2010, 05:56 PM
How about all the girls, cafeteria, classrooms, etc...... smelled as if a couple of Avon trucks had hit each other head on, spilling cargo miles around?

old okie
08-24-2010, 11:26 AM
The freshly waxed floors! Talk about a "clean" smell! Everything looked "fresh," and the promise of a "new beginning" for everything.

When I taught, it was always going in the week before and prepping my room, putting up posters [before such things were deemed "fire hazards"--on concrete walls, no less!], doing bulletin boards, and generally making my room look as nice as possible...then the anticipation of seeing all the students--most of whom were "new" to me. I always dressed to the nines on the first day of school because I wanted my students to think their experience in "my" class was going to be exciting, special, worthwhile, and something to look forward to each day.

Generals64
08-31-2010, 09:15 AM
first true Grade School (other than 2 weeks in Dickson, Okla) was John Adams.....Remember the wife that signed up for substitute?? well, she subbing at John Adams for a while.....She told me she did know if she knew anyone that ever went there....I did and so did Gayla Peavey. She (Gayla) got a Hippopotamus for Christmas and I got a B-B gun....

Generals64
09-01-2010, 06:56 AM
Here's a good one the older folks will remember...Anyone out there remember being a Junior Police?....Does anyone have an old Jr. Police Badge? or the pieve of webbing that you had to wear?....The Jr. Police had numerous jobs that were so important for the school...going a getting the teacher a cup of Coffee. Breaking up fights (or getting in them) and you know making sure everything ran smoothly....Any stories????

papaOU
09-01-2010, 10:52 AM
Here's a good one the older folks will remember...Anyone out there remember being a Junior Police?....Does anyone have an old Jr. Police Badge? or the pieve of webbing that you had to wear?....The Jr. Police had numerous jobs that were so important for the school...going a getting the teacher a cup of Coffee. Breaking up fights (or getting in them) and you know making sure everything ran smoothly....Any stories????

And we also were crossing guards. My badge was taken away from me. Ditched school to watch the Cubs and White Sox play at All Sports.

Generals64
09-01-2010, 04:11 PM
And we also were crossing guards. My badge was taken away from me. Ditched school to watch the Cubs and White Sox play at All Sports.

I was a captain with the Brown thing that you wore.....I would like to have one of those old Junior Police straps and badge. As well as an oklahoman paper bag....

skyrick
09-01-2010, 04:19 PM
I was a captain with the Brown thing that you wore.....I would like to have one of those old Junior Police straps and badge. As well as an oklahoman paper bag....

I was a Lieutenant in the Junior Police, that was a blue shoulder belt. I remember that Captains got a gold shoulder belt. And give me an Oklahoma Journal bag... carrier for 2 years, 65-66.

SOUTHSIDE GIRL
09-08-2010, 01:15 PM
I will bring my junior police group picture to the next Coit's meeting if I don't forget.

911dispatch
11-07-2011, 02:01 AM
Haha I rememeber always wondering if everyone was going to look the same after a long (at the time it felt long) summer vacation.

I also remembering that I prayed the school food would taste better with a new year! no such luck :(