View Full Version : I don't understand why all posts need moderated.

JohnDenver
08-24-2009, 08:37 PM
The need to have a moderator approve our posts before they show up really impairs the "community" feel of this board.

If I post a question, I know that I may not see an answer for another 24 hours, because the moderator may not be checking in the evening to approve my post.

I don't understand this need.. In fact, it is downright annoying. :fighting2

Martin
08-24-2009, 08:45 PM
it's only for your first few posts... it helps us filter out spam and trolls. -M

JohnDenver
08-24-2009, 09:07 PM
I don't think you can filter trolls. ;)

Well, I am a human. Take me of the 'need to moderate' list please.

JohnDenver
08-24-2009, 09:08 PM
Oh hey! That didn't need moderated.. went straight through. Thanks.
Well, until I posted in the restaurant forum.. I still need approval there.

QueCeraCera
08-28-2009, 10:47 AM
If it is policy for posts (especially initial posts) to be moderated, it seems to me this moderation could be done expeditiously in order to allow new members opportunity to engage in current threads. I've yet to have my posts of yesterday approved. That is just not right and probably turns away a lot of interesting people.

QueCeraCera
08-28-2009, 10:48 AM
Now, that is interesting. I responded to several threads yesterday and my post count above indicates 2 posts. That would be my introduction which posted immediately and then my post above. Whatever happened to my posts, yesterday?

JohnDenver
08-28-2009, 11:00 AM
Agree QCC, it is stifling.

QueCeraCera
08-28-2009, 11:04 AM
I just posted in the Cash for Clunkers thread and I'm moderated, again. What's up with that? I guess posts in introductions and help desk don't count. I'll try another day. Maybe someone will open the door. I've knocked several times, now.

JohnDenver
08-28-2009, 11:42 AM
Maybe the moderation message could be more clear.

"You need x number of posts approved before no moderation is required."

So at least you know where you stand.

TaoMaas
08-28-2009, 11:54 AM
Maybe the moderation message could be more clear.

"You need x number of posts approved before no moderation is required."

So at least you know where you stand.

I thought it used to say how many posts you needed before they stop being moderated, but I can't find it now. Now that you folks have made it through the moderation period, I hope you'll stick around. I think you'll find that this board has more than it's fair share of "interesting characters".

possumfritter
08-28-2009, 01:00 PM
John Denver,

Almost every board or forum has some kind of "rules." Shoot, I have been banned from some yahoo groups simply because I disagreed with the moderator(s). At least here you can disagree and not get booted.

Stick around, you'll enjoy it.

Karried
08-28-2009, 02:05 PM
Sorry, as much as we try, we can't get to every new post immediately.

Thanks for your understanding.

OKCDrummer77
08-28-2009, 06:09 PM
Sorry, as much as we try, we can't get to every new post immediately.

Thanks for your understanding.

Would it be possible to take a handful of non-moderators and just give them the ability to approve new users' posts? If so, I'd be willing to do that just to keep the backlog of new posts under control.

Thunder
08-28-2009, 10:08 PM
Would it be possible to take a handful of non-moderators and just give them the ability to approve new users' posts? If so, I'd be willing to do that just to keep the backlog of new posts under control.

The mods are strict as to how many moderators there is and as to who will be responsible enough with that kind of power.

Honestly, in my opinion, for this forum, not just anyone can be a mod. I think it is those that is close friend/family of current mods.

If this site does not have an issue with "spambots" then intital moderated posts is not needed. Spambots can be stopped with advanced registration, such as multiple codes and email confirmation.

Karried
08-28-2009, 10:35 PM
Honestly, in my opinion, for this forum, not just anyone can be a mod. I think it is those that is close friend/family of current mods.

Nope.... none of us have ever even actually met.

With the new upgrade the waiting to be approved posts aren't as obvious as they used to be. I will try to check more frequently..

Thunder
08-29-2009, 12:14 AM
Nope.... none of us have ever even actually met.

That's just sad. :omg:

evh5150
08-29-2009, 11:09 PM
geeessshh!!! ...thank gawd, im a country boy.

metro
09-02-2009, 08:35 AM
Oh hey! That didn't need moderated.. went straight through. Thanks.
Well, until I posted in the restaurant forum.. I still need approval there.

Did you even read the Terms of Service before registering?:doh:

Matt
09-02-2009, 08:39 AM
That John Denver's full of ****, man.

JohnDenver
09-02-2009, 08:57 AM

Nope. Not the type to read the excessively long fine print. :poke:

Thunder
09-02-2009, 10:25 AM

Most of us do not. I never read them on all the forums I join. Basically, we use common sense, that is about it.

MadMonk
09-02-2009, 03:29 PM
That John Denver's full of ****, man.
:LolLolLol Great movie quote.

Roadhawg
09-08-2009, 10:11 AM
I admit I didn't read the terms of service before I joined either and I'm just waiting until I don't need moderated anymore *lol*