View Full Version : Tomatoes

PennyQuilts
08-11-2009, 01:59 PM
We are having a bumper crop - never saw so many and they are WONDERFUL. That being said, we have been giving them away, making salsa, Bruchetta, spaghetti sauce, eating them on toast, tomato sandwiches (with and without bacon), tomato soup. I even put them in some quiche, which was kind of a bad idea because my quiche is heavy and then I am too full to eat anymore tomatoes.

What am I missing? I hate to OD on tomatoes when they are so delicious. Any other tomato recipe ideas?

bandnerd
08-11-2009, 02:01 PM
Caprese salad (good to use up all that basil...oops, that's my garden)
tomato tart
zucchini and plum tomato sautee
Stuffed tomatoes

And to whom have you been giving these away? My tomatoes are barely doing squat this year. Boo.

PennyQuilts
08-11-2009, 02:10 PM
Caprese salad (good to use up all that basil...oops, that's my garden)
tomato tart
zucchini and plum tomato sautee
Stuffed tomatoes

And to whom have you been giving these away? My tomatoes are barely doing squat this year. Boo.

Yum - I didn't think of stuffed tomatoes. Those are all good suggestions. I am not sure what a caprese salad is, though.

Well, we're back east and the conditions have been just right, I guess. We found a good spot on the nw side of the house that seems to get just what it needs in terms of sunlight and we had the right amount of rain, earlier.
With any luck, we'll be back home to OKC by next season and will be right there with everyone else fighting the locusts and etc. <g>

FFLady
08-11-2009, 02:16 PM
Chop to add to your pasta salad!! May I recommend the Classic Suddenly Salad? YUMMY!!!

ECO - some people think I'm weird to eat just a tomato sandwich (with Miracle Whip), glad to see someone else does too! And congrats on the success of your garden!!!

PennyQuilts
08-11-2009, 02:18 PM
Thanks, FFlady - another idea I hadn't thought of. I love pasta. And thanks on the congrats. They are growing so big, fast and plentiful (and are so perfect) I am wondering if we are near some sort of weird chemical spill. But that is probably just my twisted sense of humor.

bandnerd
08-11-2009, 02:43 PM
Caprese salad: sliced mozzarella, sliced tomato, fresh basil leaves, balsamic and olive oil.

Just stack the slices and drizzle the oil and vinegar. Simple, amazing...and really good with some fresh italian bread and wine ;)

PennyQuilts
08-11-2009, 02:47 PM
Caprese salad: sliced mozzarella, sliced tomato, fresh basil leaves, balsamic and olive oil.

Just stack the slices and drizzle the oil and vinegar. Simple, amazing...and really good with some fresh italian bread and wine ;)

I didn't know what that was! I put it on French bread and toast it. That is what is for dinner, tonight.

metro
08-11-2009, 02:50 PM
You say tomatoes, I say Toe -mah -toes........J/K. I had some outstanding ones from NE Oklahoma a few weeks ago, amazing!

PennyQuilts
08-11-2009, 02:51 PM
One of the best things about summer, I think.

metro
08-11-2009, 02:56 PM
So how to DC tomatoes taste? Full of acid rain water?

PennyQuilts
08-11-2009, 03:06 PM
No, they are amazingly good. I thought the skins would be too thick because they are HUGE but that is not the case.

Actually, we don't have the smoggy pollution that many other big cities get. This isn't a manufacturing area although there is a lot of traffic. It is hazy from the pollen, trees and being near the river but pretty clean, actually.

CCOKC
08-12-2009, 04:54 PM
I am so jealous. I have about 8 plants this year but it has been too hot for the tomatoes to set this summer. The plants still look good though so I hope they will start setting now that the temp isn't over 100 every day. I did have two fresh tomatoes last night. I love them cut up with a little balsamic on top as a side (along with all of my fried okra).

PennyQuilts
08-12-2009, 05:07 PM
Fried Okra - YUUUMMMM!!

CCOKC
08-12-2009, 05:31 PM
When you get back here you can have some. At this point I am freezing more than I eat and I am eating it about 3 times a week.

PennyQuilts
08-12-2009, 05:32 PM
I can't wait. I don't even know where to find any around here.

PennyQuilts
08-12-2009, 05:33 PM
Husband just brought in two more. One was 1 pound, 2 ounces. The other was 14.5 ounces. They are huge.

CCOKC
08-13-2009, 07:27 PM
I may not have many tomatoes but I just ate the best cantaloupe and watermelon from my garden tonight. The heat is good for something I guess.

PennyQuilts
08-13-2009, 07:29 PM
Nothing better than summer food from the garden. Well, except maybe pulled pork.

trousers
08-14-2009, 09:25 AM
I planted all of my stuff a little late, its just now starting to really get going. Except basil, I've got basil out the wazoo.

Anyone ever tried grilled okra? Pretty tasty.

RealJimbo
08-14-2009, 10:19 AM
Trousers...
I grill almost everything, but have never grilled okra. I guess once I get my fill of fried okra (that will be never) I might try it grilled. I love grilled veggies - zuccini, yellow squash, onions, peppers - steak, chicken, pork chops, burgers, hotdogs, brats - but so far I think the simplest thing that comes off the grill the most dramatically transformed is fresh pinapple. It is sooooo good.

trousers
08-14-2009, 10:30 AM
The easiest way to grill the okra is to use two skewers & make a "raft" out of them. Brush a little oil on them (especially sesame oil if you have it) and sprinkle some salt & pepper on them.

I've never grilled pineapple, may have to try it tomorrow!

gmwise
08-14-2009, 03:01 PM
I have one tomato plant and 2 just budding tomatoes.
Its been a weird year for my plant, of course i been focused a bit more on flowers, then on herbs or vegetables.