View Full Version : movie sequels: needed or not needed?

mireaux
06-24-2009, 02:17 AM
think about some of your favorite movies, ones that never had a sequel but could possibly have a sequel to it? are there certain films youd like to see have a sequel added to them? if so, which ones?

now think of some movies that are milked to death with endless sequels (i.e. police academy, friday the 13th, american pie)

at what point should specific movie sequels be ended at? most would agree after its reached the trilogy point, however, in todays realm of films, "FOUR" is the 'new' trilogy, so to speak..especially as many sequels are now being updated with a fourth entry many years later (Indiana Jones trilogy, Terminator trilogy, etc)

Jesseda
06-24-2009, 08:29 AM
my movie wish list

the great outdoors 2
uncle buck 2
gremlins 3
goonies 2
twister 2 new season
day after tommorrow 2, the new world
the others 2
sixth sense 2
e.t returns
time machine 2

nighttrain12
06-24-2009, 06:47 PM
my movie wish list

the great outdoors 2
uncle buck 2

Without John Candy? No thanks.

metro
06-24-2009, 07:28 PM
I'd like to see a remake of the Back to the Future series, especially Part 2!

fuzzytoad
06-25-2009, 09:56 AM

eww.

If they made it today, Marty would go back to the 70s(nasty), invent disco(or rap, even worse, or breakdancing, even worser), and it would be full of crappy iphone and Michael Jackson jokes..

not to mention they couldn't go 30 years into the future from now since the world ends in 2012

A back to the future remake was such a horrifying idea that a number of entertainment sites used such an announcement as an April fool's joke this year.

Matt
06-25-2009, 10:04 AM
Without John Candy? No thanks.

If they made it work for Blues Brothers 2000 without Belushi, they can make it work for all the John Candy pictures, too.

I'm looking forward to Planes, Trains, and Automobiles 2 the most.

fuzzytoad
06-25-2009, 10:15 AM
If they made it work for Blues Brothers 2000 without Belushi, they can make it work for all the John Candy pictures, too.

I'm looking forward to Planes, Trains, and Automobiles 2 the most.

but BB2000 was a horrible movie

Matt
06-25-2009, 10:21 AM
but BB2000 was a horrible movie

(I know. That was the joke. Don't tell anyone.)

silvergrove
06-25-2009, 11:05 AM
Titanic 2: Jack is Back.

The movie can start with the zombies of the ship performing Thriller!

SoonerDave
06-25-2009, 11:45 AM
I'd like to have seen a sequel to a vasly underrated Robert Redford flick called "Sneakers," wherein he led a group of geeky tech misfits to capture a secret encryption device....had Dan Aykroyd, Sidney Poitier, was a fun if technically oversimplified flick...would seem like this group of folks could have embarked on another similar kind of "mystery" adventure...

This will drastically date me, but I remember enjoying the old "9 to 5" movie with Lily Tomlin, Dolly Parton, and Jane Fonda. There were rumors of sequels flying around for years, but it (obviously) never happened. Dabney Coleman was at his absolutely detestable best in this movie...

Sure I'll think of some others after I post this....

MadMonk
06-25-2009, 12:21 PM
I want a remake of Logan's Run. :)

Martin
06-25-2009, 12:49 PM
i'd like to have seen a sequel to a vastly underrated robert redford flick called "sneakers"

that could've been good... sneakers was great fun... and is often overlooked.

i want a remake of logan's run.
i'm not big on remakes, but i think that could actually work! the original's story has so much potential but is overshadowed by the kampiness of the era.

-M

mireaux
06-25-2009, 02:07 PM

id like to see part 4, where both of doc's sons are grown up and travel back to 1985 to visit him. then they travel to the year 2085 for whatever reason zemeckis & gale wants to write in.

mireaux
06-25-2009, 02:09 PM
eww.

not to mention they couldn't go 30 years into the future from now since the world ends in 2012

you really believe that mayan myth? ha ha ...im planning to see the movie just for what its worth though.

mireaux
06-25-2009, 02:10 PM
since we now have terminator 4...im itching, yearning, begging, and pleading for............. ROBOCOP 4 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AFCM
06-25-2009, 02:11 PM
I feel compelled to say Office Space, but I don't know how a producer would go about making a sequel. The original was a work of perfection and the concept would be hard to duplicate to the same comical effect. Still, I'd love to see the cast reunite for another go-around.

gen70
06-25-2009, 02:34 PM
Easy Rider and Far Far Away.

MadMonk
06-25-2009, 04:14 PM
that could've been good... sneakers was great fun... and is often overlooked.

i'm not big on remakes, but i think that could actually work! the original's story has so much potential but is overshadowed by the kampiness of the era.

-M
Better special effects and sticking closer to the book would be good. The subsequent books would be good for sequels too (though they aren't as good IMHO).

fuzzytoad
06-25-2009, 08:38 PM
you really believe that mayan myth? ha ha ...im planning to see the movie just for what its worth though.

dunno.. one person's myth is another person's book of revelation..

I plan on seeing the movie too though :)

and anyway if *any* movie needs a sequel it's The Last Starfighter

MadMonk
06-25-2009, 10:35 PM
and anyway if *any* movie needs a sequel it's The Last Starfighter
Nice call! :Smiley077

Luke
06-27-2009, 10:18 AM
This thread reminded me of this timeline I saw recently...

http://www.poopculture.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/futuristic-movie-timeline-460x638.png

When dates in "futuristic" movies were to come true. We've passed a few already.

evh5150
06-27-2009, 12:39 PM
This thread reminded me of this timeline I saw recently...

http://www.poopculture.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/futuristic-movie-timeline-460x638.png

When dates in "futuristic" movies were to come true. We've passed a few already.

yup, and there still is no flying cars and we dont live under the threshhold of a miltant police state either. LOL!!!

westsidesooner
06-29-2009, 01:35 PM
Independence Day II
Grapes of wrath II----Return of the Okies
The Birds II

SoonerDave
06-30-2009, 08:45 AM
we dont live under the threshhold of a miltant police state either. LOL!!!

Not yet, at least :)