Uptown 23rd
Current

no

Address: 530 NW 23rd
Phone: (405) 525-8226
Hours: Mon-Thu 7:30 am - 10 pm
Fri-Sat 7:30 am - 12 am
Links:
Official Website (http://www.bigtrucktacos.com/)
Menu (http://www.bigtrucktacos.com/Menus.html)
Facebook Page (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Truck-Tacos/87482472535?fref=ts)
Yelp (http://www.yelp.com/biz/big-truck-tacos-oklahoma-city)
Urban Spoon (http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/46/1464494/restaurant/Uptown/Big-Truck-Tacos-Oklahoma-City)

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/bttwiki1.jpg

Information & Latest News
Gallery

okyeah
06-17-2009, 10:06 PM
the location of the restaurant being remodeled is 23rd & Dewey. I think it used to be Daylight Donuts, and then after it was a middle east restaurant that I cant remember the name of

metro
06-18-2009, 10:01 AM
Cool. This will definitely help revive the Uptown Corridor

Did a quick Google search and found a couple articles, read the comments section for this one:

http://coolrulespronto.wordpress.com/2009/03/18/kogi/

tburn
06-18-2009, 11:15 AM
so it will be Korean tacos? sounds delish!

metro
06-18-2009, 01:23 PM
I'm wondering if Good Egg Group has anything to do with it. The link I posted mentioned the entrepreneurs plus it said a nearby succesful retail operator. I know the GEG has at least one new concept in the works...

onthestrip
06-18-2009, 02:18 PM
Korean tacos? Sounds odd. If in fact good egg group does have something to do with this then I can't really complain. I just wish some of the authentic taco places on the south side would make their way to this area. Especially the taco joint just south of cattlemens, they have the best tacos in the city.

tuck
06-18-2009, 02:23 PM
I'm wondering if Good Egg Group has anything to do with it. The link I posted mentioned the entrepreneurs plus it said a nearby succesful retail operator. I know the GEG has at least one new concept in the works...

The Good Egg Group has nothing to do with this project. Chris Lower from The Metro is the guy behind this deal. Great addition to NW 23rd.

dalelakin
06-18-2009, 03:41 PM
Especially the taco joint just south of cattlemens, they have the best tacos in the city.
Details please name address anything I have been interested in trying one of the Mexican restaurants in the Stockyards area.

ultimatesooner
06-18-2009, 05:29 PM
Details please name address anything I have been interested in trying one of the Mexican restaurants in the Stockyards area.

Los Comales (http://www.eataroundokc.com/2009/los-comales-shady-restaurant-of-the-month/)

I want to go try this one

kevinpate
06-18-2009, 05:39 PM
Big Truck Tacos - they're airhorn good

onthestrip
06-18-2009, 10:00 PM
Yes, I was talking about Taqueria los Comales. It is phenomenal.

metro
06-30-2009, 03:02 PM
How is the progress coming?

SoonerFever1
06-30-2009, 05:53 PM
From their Facebook postings they say it they are about 3 weeks away from their first taco.

To quote them from yesterday "Good News!! Kitchen equipment is being delivered on Wednesday!! Cally and Kathryn are going to start making the neighborhood smell gooooooood!!!!"

They are getting close and I have high hopes about this place!

MoeStooge
06-30-2009, 09:53 PM
Am I missing something? I don't see anything on their Facebook page that suggests they are anything like Kogi's, which btw is really good (although waiting in line for an hour is a killer). I caught Kogi's in Fullerton a while back.

Anyone have a menu for this Big Truck place yet?

SoonerFever1
06-30-2009, 10:47 PM
Am I missing something? I don't see anything on their Facebook page that suggests they are anything like Kogi's, which btw is really good (although waiting in line for an hour is a killer). I caught Kogi's in Fullerton a while back.

Anyone have a menu for this Big Truck place yet?

I don't think they will be serving the same menu. From what I gather it seems they are using the same concept as Kogi's. Using tweeter to give out their truck locations and using Facebook and other internet forms to gather/spark excitement.

If you go to the article linked up above. It looks like the owners of Big Truck Tacos posted a comment referencing their inspiration of Kogis.

I am excited about the place but not sure if the menu is going to be the same as Kogis......

okyeah
07-01-2009, 09:07 PM
I doubt they will have Korean BBQ tacos...probably they'll just have their own take on the taco. more authentic perhaps? IDK

Patrons will not find the typical taco with shredded lettuce, cheese and tomatoes. Rather, Big Truck Taco’s offerings will include a variety of meats – duck, barbacoa, shrimp, fish, beef, buffalo, short rib, pork, chicken, lamb and goat – plus fresh herbs and vegetables, several fresh and dried peppers, and non-traditional sauces.

“It’s not watered-down Tex-Mex,” Mathis says, adding there will be no hard taco shells, only soft flour and corn tortillas.

Prices will range between $2.50 and $3.50 per taco.

Also available will be burritos, gorditas, tortas, quesadillas, flautas and enchiladas, as well as à la carte sides, and fresh fruit beverages and 3.2 beer

OKCBiz > Big Truck Tacos rolls into OKC, with too many locations to count ? literally (http://okc.biz/article/06-23-2009/Big_Truck_Tacos_rolls_into_OKC_with_too_many_locat ions_to_count_%E2%80%93_literally.aspx)

metro
07-02-2009, 07:56 AM
Great article. I'm following them on Twitter and can't wait for them to open.

upisgr8
07-07-2009, 11:41 PM
Word is this weekend, Get in line.

tburn
07-08-2009, 08:34 AM
so its not korean bbq --- but maybe a higher end mexican taco truck? I've tried several of those around town - always good and so cheap! Al Pastor is my fave.
Looks like she will have more meat selections to try!

upisgr8
07-08-2009, 10:25 AM
Link to ink on Big Truck Tacos in todays Oklahoman http://tinyurl.com/no64hn

Dekoung
07-12-2009, 11:46 AM
Big Truck Tacos catered the exhibition opening at The Untitled art gallery Friday evening. I had a pork taco and my husband had a chicken taco and we both had guacamole and chips. I think my husband said the tacos were $2.45 each or something like that. They were open face on soft tortillas and were a little difficult to eat since there was no silverwear. I'm not sure what was in mine other than pork but it was very tasty and tender although not huge.

My husband said they should come to Norman and they said they will be there for the football games.

onthestrip
07-12-2009, 06:32 PM
They were open face on soft tortillas and were a little difficult to eat since there was no silverwear.

Umm, its a taco. You shouldnt need silverware.

$2.50 for a taco is a little on the high side IMO.

okyeah
07-12-2009, 08:37 PM
My husband said they should come to Norman and they said they will be there for the football games.

I'll believe it when I see it...campus corner is blocked off and they obviously wouldn't be able to park in any of OU's parking lots or parking garages because they will all be full, including Lloyd Noble. They wouldn't even be able to park in any of the parking lots near OU like Braums because there are signs saying you can't.

metro
07-15-2009, 07:42 AM
Four-diamond restaurant to taco kitchen on wheels
by Kelley Chambers
The Journal Record July 15, 2009

OKLAHOMA CITY – If you’ve started Oklahoma’s only four-diamond restaurant, what’s your next act? A taco truck.

http://www.journalrecord.com/_images/articles/t_labskc-lower_MS%2007-15-09.jpg
Kathryn Mathis, Cally Johnson and Lisa Taylor with Big Truck Tacos are finalizing the menu for the restaurant, which will open at the corner of Dewey and 23rd Street by the end of the month. (Photo by Maike Sabolich)

Chris Lower, the man behind successful restaurants like the Coach House, the Metro and Irma’s Burger Shack, has partnered with two chefs to open a taco stand on NW 23rd Street and will also hit the streets this month with a roving taco kitchen on wheels. Lower and his partners, Cally Johnson and Kathryn Mathis, based Big Truck Tacos on similar operations seen on the East and West coasts and in Austin, Texas.

Vince Orza, founder of Eateries Inc., said one hurdle established restaurateurs face when changing concepts is not dissimilar to a movie actor who is typecast playing certain roles.

“People assume that you’re good at something almost to the exclusion of whether you could be good at something else, something different,” Orza said. “Chris (Lower) has a long history of successes; that helps him.”

Johnson, originally from Southern California, and Mathis, who spent the last 14 years in Austin, have seen taco stands and mobile taco kitchens serve long lines of customers, but know the concept is untested here.

When Lower showed interest in the project three months ago and was willing to lend his reputation to the project, Johnson and Mathis knew they had the backing they needed.
“It would have continued to be a dream a little longer without Chris,” Johnson said.

Johnson and Mathis will handle day-to-day operations and Lower will handle administrative duties.

The storefront is in a former drive-in at 530 NW 23rd St. The building had been vacant for at least a year when Lower took a look at it as the potential home for the taco business.

“When we first looked at this building is was pretty ramshackle,” he said.
Lower liked the large kitchen that occupied about two-thirds of the 1,900-square-foot building.

Although customers can stop by the shop on NW 23rd Street for items like breakfast soft tacos, and more exotic offerings like duck, buffalo and fish tacos, Lower said he hopes the big draw will be the truck. The taco truck will set out each day with its destination updated on social networking sites. That idea came from Kogi, a Los Angeles company, which dispatches its taco trucks each day and uses social networking sites to let customers know where they will be.

When Lower, Johnson and Mathis went to pick up the catering truck they purchased in California, they found a Kogi truck and waited in line for more than an hour for tacos.
But they are not the first to try a new concept on 23rd Street.

Restaurateurs Jerry Hency and Thomas Batista converted their upscale eatery to a Mexican restaurant earlier this year at 1501 NW 23rd St.

Hency said they are suffering a lag due to the economy after a strong opening. But Hency still stands by his decision to offer Mexican food that starts at $5.99 per plate.
Unlike Hency and Batista, who closed Tom & Jerry’s Steak and Fish Grill and replaced it with Mexicasa, Lower has no plans to close his upscale eatery, The Metro Wine Bar & Bistro, or the two locations of his casual hamburger restaurant, Irma’s Burger Shack.
If the truck proves successful, Lower said he would like to purchase more trucks to cover several areas of the city during peak times, and after-hours in places like Bricktown.

Orza said success with restaurants often lies with good ownership and management and a whole lot of luck. But Orza has also seen well-run restaurants with great concepts suffer due to economic conditions.

“The fact that you’ve had success in the past is certainly no guarantee of success in the future,” he said. “But it doesn’t hurt to have experience and the know-how to develop a concept.”

The Journal Record - Article (http://www.journalrecord.com/article.cfm?recid=100586)

Platemaker
07-20-2009, 09:27 AM
Early review:

Got a chance to try a few selections at Big Truck Tacos this weekend... yum!

I tried three tacos... my favorite was the braised short ribs with roasted potatos taco. Wonderfully flavorful!

I also had the bison picadillo and the smoked tongue called the "Flaming Lips." For those that are afraid of something like tongue, this would be a nice introduction... smoked and sliced thin like brisket with fresh avocado.

The have several salsas to choose from, including a HOT one called "OMG" and they ain't lying! But it tastes great and is not just hot for the sake of being hot.

They also have a wonderful avocado sauce... not a guacamole per se.... but a sauce. It was pretty delicious added to all my tacos.

As I understand it, they will only be open 7a-7p and they do have a breakfast menu. After 7p, they will sell out of their "big truck".... late night at Bricktown on the weekend etc. I suspect the truck will make an appearance and all sorts of events.

I'm unsure when the actual opening date will be, but when they do I think it's worth a try.

FritterGirl
07-20-2009, 09:30 AM
For those who are on twitter, you can follow them at @bigtrucktacos. They tweet about where the truck will be during weekend nights, as well as any specials they may be having. I saw a couple of their tweets this weekend, and about left my house on one occasion just to go find them.

Can't wait until the "storefront" part of the restaurant opens up. Will be a really nice addition to that area on 23rd.

metro
07-20-2009, 09:42 AM
They tweeted today they are hoping to open Thursday. They have already been doing truck runs to several clubs around the metro, including Western Ave. and the 39th Gay District. Been following there tweets for awhile now, but haven't tried them out yet. There is another thread on BTT about 5 posts down:

http://www.okctalk.com/food-restaurants/18216-big-truck-tacos-anyone-have-details.html

Luke
07-20-2009, 09:44 AM
What a great idea. Very cool.

Platemaker
07-20-2009, 12:15 PM
....how the heck did I miss the original thread?

Martin
07-26-2009, 01:33 PM
tried to go saturday and they said there were a few snags and that it'd be tuesday...

can't wait to try this place out!

-M

BendtoOKC
07-26-2009, 06:28 PM
Where is the restaurant going to be?

Martin
07-26-2009, 06:31 PM
it's on the se corner of nw 23rd & dewey... just west of walker. -M

jarrington00
07-29-2009, 09:47 AM
They officially opened this morning.

Had their breakfast burrito w/ potatoes, chorizo and egg, mmmm good.

They've also reserved the URL bigtrucktacos.com, but it's not up yet.

Menu Links Below:
http://img28.imagefra.me/img/img28/2/7/29/jarrington00/t_ee8bpfbjm_6304408.jpg (http://imagefra.me/view.php?img=/2/7/29/jarrington00/f_ee8bpfbjm_6304408.jpg&srv=img28)

http://img29.imagefra.me/img/img29/2/7/29/jarrington00/t_ee8bpfbkm_ec3c1bf.jpg (http://imagefra.me/view.php?img=/2/7/29/jarrington00/f_ee8bpfbkm_ec3c1bf.jpg&srv=img29)

metro
07-29-2009, 10:46 AM
Yeah, I got the tweet too but forgot to check them out. I look forward to stopping by the restaurant and the truck soon! Did you try anything else besides that breakfast burrito?

jarrington00
07-29-2009, 12:40 PM
Yeah, I got the tweet too but forgot to check them out. I look forward to stopping by the restaurant and the truck soon! Did you try anything else besides that breakfast burrito?

I wanted to, but the burrito was a good size and filled me up. I think next time I'll try different combinations of Tacos. Their sauces were very good as well.

I really think they're going to do well.

mattjank
07-29-2009, 01:26 PM
I stopped in for breakfast this am as well. I've finally found that one foodie thing I've been missing in Norman/OKC since moving here from Austin 6 years ago-great breakfast tacos.

Ordered the usual potato, egg and cheese taco, and decided to try a few other options going with a potato egg and black bean taco, as well as a potato egg and flank steak taco. All were very good and would rival Taco Shack and Tacodeli in Austin.

And to top it off, as one of the chefs was also in on Tacodeli, Big Truck makes my favorite salsa in the whole world, the creamy habanero salsa. Lights up your mouth, and is to die for.

I can't tell you how happy I am to finally have breakfast tacos in town. And can't wait to try out their other offerings.

funky977
07-29-2009, 01:43 PM
Went today, early (~11:15) and I expected it to be packed. It wasn't, but was getting that way before I left. Had the Flaming Lips, CJ's Verde Pork and The Guardian. All were excellent, but I give a slight nudge to the Flaming Lips (aka. tongue). Tried all 3 sauces,fantastic with a sauce made for anyone. It was crazy good. I am sure it will be packed for quite sometime.

Martin
07-29-2009, 02:00 PM
went in for lunch @ 12:45... place was packed!

food was great... i think they had some first-day issues with their pos, but nothing that won't get ironed out.

i tried a grilled chicken burrito, cj's verde pork and the rancher (braised brisket).

the flavors were great... everything well seasoned and ingredients in the right proportions. i think the pork could have had a bit more punch in the flavor department... the cilantro garnish was the only thing that brightened it up. otherwise it just kinda sat there. the chicken burrito was good... but not really head and shoulders above what i've had elsewhere. the brisket taco was my favorite of three... the sliced onions and shredded carrots really complimented the flavor of the brisket... it was a great combination. unlike the pork, i felt the brisket stood on its own without the garnish.

i'm being hyper critical, though... i really enjoyed the meal and thought it was all top-notch. i can't see how this place won't be popular. will definitely be back.

-M

wsucougz
07-31-2009, 11:52 AM
Tried to eat there today at lunch but it was jam packed. Anybody tried the food?

Another thriving, local business is born. 23rd street is a GO.

FFLady
07-31-2009, 12:14 PM
Everything sounds great, except no one is mentioning the prices ????

metro
07-31-2009, 12:15 PM
FFlady, you can see a menu in prices in the Big Truck Taco's thread in the food court. Mod's can we merge the two threads?

FFLady
07-31-2009, 12:18 PM
thx Metro....didn't know to look there...
:-)

soonerfan21
07-31-2009, 02:03 PM
went there yesterday, as was mentioned above it was packed around 1 pm. but SOOO worth the wait. had the flaming lips and crispy-cado plus chips and queso. Definitely will be on regular lunch rotation.

trison
07-31-2009, 03:52 PM
Went to lunch today and they were packed. The food was worth the wait. I think this is a great kick off for the Uptown Development. If I'm not mistaken it was Chris Lower who was the first to sign up at Plaza Court with Irmas. It's great to have pioneers that take chances on areas that are on the up swing. Congratulations to the Uptown Development guys.

jbrown84
07-31-2009, 06:45 PM
With Cuppies & Joe and now this, 23rd Street really is becoming the next hot spot. Can't wait to give this place a try. And I love the Twitter angle.

CCOKC
07-31-2009, 10:58 PM
My son and I went last night. He had the Flaming Lips (he loved it) and he wanted the fish taco but they were out so he opted for unnamed surprise (I forget what it is called exactly). I had the fried avacado (who knew?) and the veggie. They were both very good. We also got a side of guac and chips and he had a soft drink and I had an adult beverage. THe total was around $20 without tip. We will definitely make it part of our regular rotation.
We got there around 6 or so and there were only a few people in line but when we left the line was out the door. We could tell it was only their 2nd day open but it wasn't terrible service by any means they just seemed like they had not worked the kinks out yet. I'd say we waited less than 5 mins for our food and it was hot and tasty. But they gave us our chips for the guac at the register but not the guac but they brought it right to us when I pointed it out to them. No biggie.

so1rfan
08-02-2009, 09:16 PM
I went Saturday morning and the wife and I each had a taco. They were very tasty but a little small. I should have went for the burrito instead.

Will try them for lunch sometime when I get a chance.

I did a little review for the photo I took on my blog at iconOklahoma (http://www.iconoklahoma.com) .

Martin
08-03-2009, 08:01 AM
went again saturday afternoon...

this time, i tried the tacos with corn tortillas (i think they were out last wednesday)

pork verde... much better this time... something about the corn tortilla really brought out all the flavors. very delicious.

beef al carbon... very delicious. coffee rubbed, grilled beef. i loved the flavor. being super picky here, i thought the poblano could have been sliced into slightly smaller pieces... the big slices kinda overpowered, imo.

borracho chicken... made with spice-rubbed beer can chicken... delicious and moist. i kinda wished there was more of a hint of beer flavor, though. still very tasty.

the guardian... ground bison. a cool take on the typical ground beef taco. using bison made it all the more rich but didn't add any gaminess. for whatever reason, i felt like the tomatoes really complimented the flavor of the meat.

beef & chicken flautas... both were very delicious. loved how the crunch of the exterior contrasted with the soft filling. oh so delicious.

big truck is definitely a keeper... can't wait to go back! -M

wsucougz
08-03-2009, 12:15 PM
Love the food but it's overpriced. I'm 150 lbs and could easily eat five or six of those tacos @ $2.75-$3 each. I hope a lunch special is in the works.

jstanthrnme
08-03-2009, 01:17 PM
I tried BTT on Saturday. I had the Borracho Chicken, The Guardian, and the Okie-Baha, and a Pork Verde Burrito. I was looking forward to eating there all day, and was dissapointed at the size of the tacos. I would agree that this place is way over-priced. 3 tacos and a burrito should not cost over $15..

I'll go back, but only when I find a good deal on their menu.

I'll give the food itself a B+. The atmosphere a C (the A/C was either off or broken). The service gets an B from me (almost 20 min to get my order to-go, but they were busy).

Steve
08-03-2009, 01:21 PM
Went there today for lunch with the famous Doug Loudenback. A/C seemed to be working fine. I gave the food a B+, not sure if Doug was as impressed. They've got the waiting time under control - pretty fast turn-around, no more 45-minute waits even when they're busy. They're still working out the kinks, but overall, I'd say it's a very promising venture.
Final comment: I actually liked what I had for breakfast last week better than what I had for lunch.

metro
08-04-2009, 01:17 PM
Zipped over there for lunch today on the scooter. Saw Urban Pioneer, Old Downtown Guy or the ODG as I like to say, and Hans Butzer.

The place was definitely happening and very packed. I ordered the Guardian which was good as is, I don't recommend putting salsas on it, I did and they all ruined the flavor of it. I also had the beef al carbon, it too was very good as is. The flavor of the meat was excellent, but the salsa distracted from the taste. I'm very familiar with all types of salsa they serve there, but they are usually given at "mexican style trucks" and their meat typically has no flavor or very bland, so the salsa actually enhances it. As for big truck, they pride themselves on the quality of ingredients and they season well, so you don't really need the salsas. It was all excellent. I also had the small chips and queso, very good. Price was okay, but a little high for what you get, but I'll definitely be back soon.

BBatesokc
08-09-2009, 06:16 PM
Took the wife to BTT on Saturday around 6:30pm.

The place was pretty busy and the line was to the door. Only took about 10 minutes to get to the front of the line and maybe another 10-15 for the food.

I liked the atmosphere, but did notice the air conditioning could not keep the place cool. It was blowing cold but their unit is either too small or it just couldn't keep up with the doors opening and closing. Wasn't unbearable, but definitely noticeable.

I thought the flavor of the food was great. Don't remember the exact names but we shared two gorditas (bison and chicken) and two tacos (tilapia and chicken), a sliced avocado half and one soda.

My only gripe (and its enough to keep this place off my regular haunts list) is the prices are way too high for the quantity of food served.

Our shared meal was $15 and we ended up ordering chips and salsa (another $1.60) because we were still hungry.

We can go across the street to Cheever's and split a meal for about the same money and be stuffed.

The gorditas shouldn't be more than $1.50-$2 each as they are tiny (but tasty).

We will probably go again if we are with friends who want to try it. I'm anxious to try a salad because they look pretty sizable for the money.

Here's a pic of what we ordered and how tiny the portions are...

Brian Bates's Photos | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30620599&l=393bae8408&id=1283820411)

XtraStout
08-25-2009, 04:28 PM
Atmosphere has been great, and the wait is significantly decreased since the opening, the portions are spot on with any mexican taco you will get anywhere. 3 tacos is perfect and you can get a good variety. The prices are higher than say a 99c street taco in tijuana that has saddle marks on it but they are worth the 2.50. The flaminglips is amazing, and the crispy'cado is great also. 3 tacos is perfect and you can get a good variety.

OKCMallen
09-03-2009, 08:15 PM
Went again tonight. The guardian (bison) is out of this world.

Metro, was that you and bandnerd there tonight around 730?

Martin
09-03-2009, 08:42 PM
can somebody pass the popcorn? -M

metro
09-04-2009, 07:25 AM
Went again tonight. The guardian (bison) is out of this world.

Metro, was that you and bandnerd there tonight around 730?

Yeah, I took bandnerd for a taco run while Mid was taking a nap. J/K. Nope it wasn't me, I was at home eating with my own wife.

OKCMallen
09-04-2009, 07:28 AM
hahaha, oops, get the usernames confused! My bad! :)

BBatesokc
09-04-2009, 02:30 PM
I've been back a few times and the size of the tacos and gorditas has certainly improved. 2-3 tacos now fills me up just fine. LOVE the brownies!

jbrown84
09-04-2009, 07:28 PM
:LolLolLol

Yeah, I took bandnerd for a taco run while Mid was taking a nap. J/K. Nope it wasn't me, I was at home eating with my own wife.