View Full Version : Big Truck Tacos

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

SatelliteHigh
08-14-2011, 06:54 PM
Or go to a real taqueria where you can get tacos of the same quality (or better) at half the price...

FritterGirl
08-15-2011, 09:18 AM
I went a few weeks ago and had the best Fifth Amendment I'd ever had (a tempura fish something), and my Flaming Lips tongue taco was as good as ever. Place was all but busting at the seams, and this was at 11:00 a.m. - and in the middle of our big heat wave.

corwin1968
08-17-2011, 12:11 PM
I ate a couple of tacos from their truck about a year ago and was not impressed by the "service" or the food.

OKCMallen
08-17-2011, 01:04 PM
I don't know that their service has ever been awesome, to be honest.

ultimatesooner
08-17-2011, 01:35 PM
Or go to a real taqueria where you can get tacos of the same quality (or better) at half the price...

+1

Ginkasa
08-17-2011, 02:56 PM
What kind of service are we expecting? The couple of times I've went I bought my tacos, sat down, ate my tacos, and that was it. I wouldn't say there was fantastic service, but I wouldn't say it didn't meet my expectations or needs... I guess I'm wondering what everyone's expected standard is for BTT's service.

icecold
08-17-2011, 03:27 PM
Weird "complaint" I guess, but I wish their tacos had less filling. They damn near seem like a burrito. Just a preference, but I wish they had less filling and maybe a tad cheaper, that way I could order 3 instead of 2. Seems most taqueria's have smaller tacos. Other than that their service is about average to me. Then agian, I call ahead and drive thru 95% of the time.

redrunner
08-17-2011, 04:37 PM
Weird "complaint" I guess, but I wish their tacos had less filling. They damn near seem like a burrito. Just a preference, but I wish they had less filling and maybe a tad cheaper, that way I could order 3 instead of 2. Seems most taqueria's have smaller tacos. Other than that their service is about average to me. Then agian, I call ahead and drive thru 95% of the time.
When they first opened they had very little filling but I like their portions now because if you order with corn tortillas, they have 2 corn tortillas for each taco so you can take one off and make a 2nd taco with that extra filling. Problem fixed!

RadicalModerate
08-17-2011, 05:10 PM
Weird "complaint" I guess, but I wish their tacos had less filling. They damn near seem like a burrito. Just a preference, but I wish they had less filling and maybe a tad cheaper, that way I could order 3 instead of 2.

Does this remind anyone else of the story about the guy who ordered a pizza and when the counterperson asked him if he wanted it cut into six or eight slices said, "Better make it six . . . I don't think I could eat eight slices."

onthestrip
08-17-2011, 05:54 PM
When they first opened they had very little filling but I like their portions now because if you order with corn tortillas, they have 2 corn tortillas for each taco so you can take one off and make a 2nd taco with that extra filling. Problem fixed!

Pretty much all taco joints/taquerias use 2 corn tortillas with their tacos.

lasomeday
08-17-2011, 06:14 PM
I went there the other night, and it was great! I even got the 5th and it was great!

If you didn't like your food, tell management. That is the only way things will get changed. If you like a restaurant, tell them how to fix it. I have complained many times about restaurants to the restaurant/management and they have more than fixed the problem.

I hate it when people complain about things and don't do anything about it!

soonerguru
08-17-2011, 06:40 PM
I went there the other night, and it was great! I even got the 5th and it was great!

If you didn't like your food, tell management. That is the only way things will get changed. If you like a restaurant, tell them how to fix it. I have complained many times about restaurants to the restaurant/management and they have more than fixed the problem.

I hate it when people complain about things and don't do anything about it!

Did you bother reading the thread? I brought it to the attention of management.

krisb
08-17-2011, 10:04 PM
It's always nice to go to a taco joint that plays Radiohead.

CuatrodeMayo
08-17-2011, 10:08 PM
http://www.ussignsandsafety.com/images/w7-1.gif

corwin1968
08-18-2011, 01:29 PM
What kind of service are we expecting? The couple of times I've went I bought my tacos, sat down, ate my tacos, and that was it. I wouldn't say there was fantastic service, but I wouldn't say it didn't meet my expectations or needs... I guess I'm wondering what everyone's expected standard is for BTT's service.

I expect to not feel like I'm bothering the employee by interupting his daydreaming and I expect to feel at least a little bit like I was welcome at the truck. The guy wasn't "quite" to the point of being rude but his indifference was darn close. Oh well, the tacos sucked anyway so I'll stick to real tacos at Tacos San Pedro on SW 44th.

OKCMallen
08-18-2011, 01:42 PM

Just want to feel comfortable and welcome.

pickles
08-18-2011, 02:23 PM
Weird "complaint" I guess, but I wish their tacos had less filling. They damn near seem like a burrito.

I agree completely. As a result, they are difficult to eat. It's just way out of balance.

Ginkasa
08-18-2011, 05:46 PM
I expect to not feel like I'm bothering the employee by interupting his daydreaming and I expect to feel at least a little bit like I was welcome at the truck. The guy wasn't "quite" to the point of being rude but his indifference was darn close. Oh well, the tacos sucked anyway so I'll stick to real tacos at Tacos San Pedro on SW 44th.

I don't know. When I go out to eat, especially to a place like BTT (i.e. no waiters/waitresses; order the counter; fast foodish, etc.), I'm not going for "service." I'm not saying I expect the employees to be rude and insult me or ignore me. But if they 1) take my order 2) take my money 3) give me back correct change and 4) give me the correct food I have no complaints. I'm not interested in a fake smile or forced conversation. I just want my food. That just me, though.

Martin
08-18-2011, 07:32 PM
weird "complaint" i guess, but i wish their tacos had less filling.

went a few weeks ago and, if anything, this is the only thing i think btt isn't doing as well as when they first opened. totally agree with you. -M

Larry OKC
08-18-2011, 07:44 PM
WOW. This sounds like my kind of place. Hard to believe the amount of people here complaining that the serving size is too BIG (too much filling) etc. Can't stand places where they skimp on the fillings (esp if they are charging premium). If "difficult to eat", I am sure if you were to request less filling they would probably oblige, charge you the same price and keep the increased profit.

Martin
08-18-2011, 07:55 PM
well, larry... i'm of the opinion that more isn't always better. i still really like btt but i think that originally they had the right balance of filling. for me, it's not that it was less difficult to eat, it's just that the amount of filling was well-balanced against the flavor of the tortilla. -M

ljbab728
08-18-2011, 08:18 PM
well, larry... i'm of the opinion that more isn't always better. i still really like btt but i think that originally they had the right balance of filling. for me, it's not that it was less difficult to eat, it's just that the amount of filling was well-balanced against the flavor of the tortilla. -M

I agree. It's kind of like eating one of those triple or quadruple meat burgers that some places serve. You lose track of the other flavors which make it a burger.

Larry OKC
08-18-2011, 10:41 PM
I'm not seeing the problem here. Are they charging more when they started putting in more filling? If so, then I can understand if you are paying for something you really don't want. Can understand the "ratio" thing too, IF it is something that can't be easily corrected (like the amount of grilled onions/peppers in a fajita taco or something that is premixed), but the posts seem to indicate it is a filling-to-tortilla thing (or meat to bun). Easy solution, take some of the filling out to put it back "in balance". Ask if they have "senior' or "kids" sized portions. If not, ask them to make yours smaller. If no discount, ask for something they of equal value (I do this at Taco Bueno, replace the quac w/equivalent cost amount of beans or rice). Get an extra tortilla. Use the leftovers in something else. Give it to the dog. Etc etc etc.

Different people have different tastes and what makes a Single burger the right ratio, for someone else it is a Triple with extra cheese. Now if the Wendy's only offered the Triple....

I take it that if they changed, they were getting complaints that they were overpriced for the amount of filling. Rather than change the price point, they increased the filling amount?

BBatesokc
08-19-2011, 07:15 AM
The wife and I love the loaded tacos, as we can share them with no problem and spend even less money.

bluedogok
08-19-2011, 08:24 AM
The wife and I love the loaded tacos, as we can share them with no problem and spend even less money.
That is what we do at Torchy's Tacos down here, get extra tortillas and make 4 out of 2 tacos.

Maynard
08-19-2011, 09:26 AM
http://www.ussignsandsafety.com/images/w7-1.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwatjHcV1ZM

Larry OKC
08-19-2011, 09:54 AM
Ahhhh, good ol' Maynard G Krebs (before Gilligan)

BBatesokc
08-19-2011, 12:29 PM
That is what we do at Torchy's Tacos down here, get extra tortillas and make 4 out of 2 tacos.

I have 4 bottles of Torchy's Diablo Hot Sauce in the cabinet right now! We stock up every time we go. And yes, there tacos are big and in my opinion are better than anything in OKC. Baja Shrimp and the Democrat for me.

SkyWestOKC
08-19-2011, 03:15 PM
I don't know. When I go out to eat, especially to a place like BTT (i.e. no waiters/waitresses; order the counter; fast foodish, etc.), I'm not going for "service." I'm not saying I expect the employees to be rude and insult me or ignore me. But if they 1) take my order 2) take my money 3) give me back correct change and 4) give me the correct food I have no complaints. I'm not interested in a fake smile or forced conversation. I just want my food. That just me, though.

I agree. If anyone has been to Tacoville near the airport on 29th and Portland, they know this to be true. I don't expect perfect service, but they never get my order wrong, they are consistent, and I never feel like I got robbed.

Joe Kimball
08-22-2011, 11:03 AM
I'm going to come out and applaud anyone from BTT who is reading here for purportedly upping the filling. That was my main complaint with the place, and I'm pleased to see it is apparently addressed! I will go back.

BBatesokc
08-22-2011, 01:39 PM
I'm going to come out and applaud anyone from BTT who is reading here for purportedly upping the filling. That was my main complaint with the place, and I'm pleased to see it is apparently addressed! I will go back.

I agree. My initial post to Urban Spoon was neutral to negative due to small portions and high prices. Also the cashiers were too slow to take orders and the AC was not sufficient. However, as time went by they made corrections and I changed my review.

CuatrodeMayo
08-22-2011, 02:11 PM

X2. When BBT first opened, I would order 3 tacos, because 2 weren't quite enough to do it for me (don't judge, lol). Lately, 2 tacos at a sitting has more than satisfied me. Major props their way.

Skyline
08-22-2011, 02:56 PM
X3 !!

I thought I was doing good with my diet now and ordering 2 tacos instead of the usual 3.

Now it is confirmed I may be eating more than before but paying less. Oh well the tacos are as good if not better than ever, and the service is simply a taco stand.

jstaylor62
08-23-2011, 10:20 AM

Or learn to make them at home for half the price of a taqueria. I mean seriously, how bad do you have to suck as a cook to not know how to cook some meat, season it with mexican spices and put it into a tortilla?

BBatesokc
08-23-2011, 10:39 AM
Or learn to make them at home for half the price of a taqueria. I mean seriously, how bad do you have to suck as a cook to not know how to cook some meat, season it with mexican spices and put it into a tortilla?

Besides the basic naivety of that statement. Why would someone who only wants 1-2 tacos go through the hassle and expense to buy all the ingredients, mess up the kitchen and lose all that time, when they can grab a friend/spouse run to BTT or other place and eat for $6-$8 and be done with it.

jstaylor62
08-23-2011, 10:54 AM
Besides the basic naivety of that statement. Why would someone who only wants 1-2 tacos go through the hassle and expense to buy all the ingredients, mess up the kitchen and lose all that time, when they can grab a friend/spouse run to BTT or other place and eat for $6-$8 and be done with it.

Based on the basic naivety of your response, I can see where you think that ingredients like ground beef, taco seasoning and tortillas are hard to come by. Simple Mexican food has to be one of the cheapest things to prepare. Thats why I never understand why people pay so much for something that they could easily make at home. Some of my other reasons are that I control my portion sizes, my beer is cheaper, my air conditioning is always working, my service is better and I dont have to smell some mouthbreather at the table beside me.

So spend your $6-$8 on one meal and I will get 4 meals out of it...

BBatesokc
08-23-2011, 10:58 AM
maybe your idea of a good taco is some ground beef, packaged taco seasoning and store bought taco shells - not me.

Try actually taking a look at the ingredients in many of the tacos at BTT or even JT's. We're hardly talking ghetto tacos here.

jstaylor62
08-23-2011, 11:09 AM
maybe your idea of a good taco is some ground beef, packaged taco seasoning and store bought taco shells - not me.

Try actually taking a look at the ingredients in many of the tacos at BTT or even JT's. We're hardly talking ghetto tacos here.

My standard tacos consist of grilled pork shoulder seasonsed with a fajita seasoning from one of the mexican meat markets, cilantro, yellow onion, valentina hot sauce served on a corn tortilla. So no, my tacos are not ghetto tacos and more like tacos you would find on the streets of mexico.

ctchandler
08-23-2011, 12:57 PM
I'm not much of a cook, but when I want hard shell tacos, I deep fry corn tortillas. I have a thing that has handles like tongs and forms the tortilla. Soft tacos of course don't need that. I also quarter corn tortillas and fry for dipping or buttering and add a fresh jalapeno slice to each quarter. Not taking sides, that's just what I do. I prefer somebody cooking for me but admittedly, home tacos are inexpensive and really good. I have home (a friend's home) made hot salsa, I grate Mexican cheese, chop onions and copy jalapenos. Then I build each taco when I am ready to eat it so the shell is crisp, not soggy. And I forgot the ground beef/skirt steak that I trade off on for the meat. I will have to try grilled pork shoulder. That's what I enjoy most at Taqueria La Original, although I think I buy the fried pork. Well, certainly off topic and I'm contributing. OH well, I will await my punishment.
C. T.

Martin
08-23-2011, 02:01 PM
there's nothing wrong with making your own tacos. there's nothing wrong with buying them at the restaurant of your choice. to each his own.

can't say i've ever heard of grilling pork shoulder... that's a pretty big cut and it's fairly tough. do you cube it? do you braise it and then grill it? how do you get it tender?

so many questions. : ) -M

jstaylor62
08-23-2011, 05:01 PM
there's nothing wrong with making your own tacos. there's nothing wrong with buying them at the restaurant of your choice. to each his own.

can't say i've ever heard of grilling pork shoulder... that's a pretty big cut and it's fairly tough. do you cube it? do you braise it and then grill it? how do you get it tender?

so many questions. : ) -M

Buy your pork shoulder as boneless country style ribs. Hammer the ribs until they are thin and an even thickness. Season with El Venado fajita seasoning and marinate overnight. Then grill and slice. Use for tacos, nachos, burritos or quesadillas.

Martin
08-23-2011, 06:03 PM
ah... that makes sense. when i think pork shoulder, boston butt comes to mind rather than country-style ribs. i'd imagine that this meat is somewhat more tender than a shoulder roast even before tenderizing it via mallet and marinade. -M

Larry OKC
08-23-2011, 10:21 PM
Buy your pork shoulder as boneless country style ribs. Hammer the ribs until they are thin and an even thickness. Season with El Venado fajita seasoning and marinate overnight. Then grill and slice. Use for tacos, nachos, burritos or quesadillas.
Ok, a multi-hour process. I personally don't know what i am going to be in the mood for that far in advance. Plus am cooking for 1 so convenience, clean-up, time etc is something that has to be balanced with money spent. When i do cook, it is in bulk so i can make several meals out of it. I like left overs but that can get old quick too. It is all value for the money. Plus coming up with the right seasoning, cooking methods etc is going to be trial and error. Then if you want variety, like beef, chicken, nachos and any other sort of thing, have to factor that in too.

Like mmm said, to each their own.

jstaylor62
08-24-2011, 08:00 AM
Ok, a multi-hour process. I personally don't know what i am going to be in the mood for that far in advance. Plus am cooking for 1 so convenience, clean-up, time etc is something that has to be balanced with money spent. When i do cook, it is in bulk so i can make several meals out of it. I like left overs but that can get old quick too. It is all value for the money. Plus coming up with the right seasoning, cooking methods etc is going to be trial and error. Then if you want variety, like beef, chicken, nachos and any other sort of thing, have to factor that in too.

Like mmm said, to each their own.

I'm not sure where you get multi-hour. 15 min to prep the meat, then put it in the fridge. Chop your cilantro and onion the next day when the grill is heating up. You can always cook extra and use the leftovers for something else like tortilla soup. I cook for one and cook in bulk as well.

If you are not sure about spices and cooking methods, watch a cooking show or get a cookbook about the foods you like. That is what I did. Over time I have developed a good sense of textures and flavors in foods and can put them in the my head and get an idea what they might look like or taste like. Then its time to cook while I'm watching tv or something. Cooking with and for a date can be very fun. ;)

My point in this thread about Big Truck Tacos and Mexican food in general is that it is very cheap and easy to make. Not all mexican food is fast and easy to make, so that is when I go by it, like tamales. Tamales are a very labor intensive food to make. Most times its made as part of a family in the kitchen visting while they cook. So I buy mine a dozen at a time from a place on SW 29th ST.

BBatesokc
08-24-2011, 10:49 AM
So - I guess we're all just huge idiots if we go into Subway/Lee's and buy a sandwich? I mean seriously, how big of a buffoon are you in the kitchen if you don't make your own turkey sandwich!

(As I'm typing this I'm having my $3 cup of tea at Coffee Slingers I damn well should have made at home for $.50 or less!)

Funny, though, we haven't ever made tacos at home in our 12 years of marriage, but the wife does make seafood tamales from scratch from time-to-time for gatherings, and it is an all day affair.

clz46
08-24-2011, 11:23 AM
anyway..... BTT is in another contest for the Food network truck race (that they won last year and are not on the show this year... see BTT facebook page for explanation) They are currently in 10th place having fallen from 6th place yesterday. Please vote for them whether you make your tacos at home or .... whatever. Another opportunity to recognize OKC!

Larry OKC
08-24-2011, 01:06 PM
jstaylor62; i said multi-hour because you said the process takes that long (overnight). That didn't mean that you were standing over a hot stove or chopping up veggies the entire time. My point was that I don't often know what i am going to be in the mood for the next day. There are exceptions of course. I have used a crock pot overnight or while at work so when i get up or get home from work dinner is ready. For a pot of beans or a pot roast. But even then, I may not be in the mood for it by that time, stick it in the fridge and have something else instead.

ljbab728
02-01-2012, 11:30 PM
Coming to Yukon.

http://newsok.com/big-truck-tacos-and-the-city-of-yukon-come-together/article/3645380

BBatesokc
02-02-2012, 05:10 AM
Coming to Yukon.

http://newsok.com/big-truck-tacos-and-the-city-of-yukon-come-together/article/3645380

For those that tend to make assumptions without reading the story...... the MOBILE Big Truck Tacos is coming to Yukon, not a brick and mortar location.

metro
02-05-2012, 06:37 PM
Truck movement new to OKC? It's been here at least 4 years and liner than that if you count the authentic Mexican taco trucks. What they can't figure out something so basic as permitting in 4 years?

okclee
09-15-2014, 10:47 AM
It's been a long time since I have had BTT. I had a few bad experiences some time ago with the food quality not being what it once was and I also thought the service was being overlooked.

But I had lunch there yesterday and must say that it reminded me of the early years, food was excellent and the service was fantastic.

warreng88
09-15-2014, 11:33 AM
My biggest issue with BTT is the deferred maintenance on the interior of the property. We sat at the table inside on the NE/C and there was a large hole in the wall at the floor and the floors overall were very dirty and it seemed like there was grime and filth everywhere. Oh and this was on a Saturday around 11am, so the rush hadn't even gotten there yet.

okclee
09-15-2014, 11:39 AM
"We sat at the table inside on the NE/C and there was a large hole in the wall......."
Well they are going for that "Hole in the Wall" type of restaurant theme. :)

I was there Sunday and sat outside and didn't really look at the interior of building other than while I ordered. Outside was nice and the staff was quick to clean up tables and offer salsa and refills. Food was excellent and the portions seemed back to where they once were for me which is good especially when you are paying extra for their tacos.