View Full Version : Big Truck Tacos

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

metro
03-02-2010, 08:39 AM
I think you point are missing the point of some of the other posters. It's not the "street tacos" that you can get at Las Comales or anywhere, it's the gourmet tacos and other items that you can't get at your local taqueria or taco van.

positano
03-02-2010, 08:43 AM
I think you point are missing the point of some of the other posters. It's not the "street tacos" that you can get at Las Comales or anywhere, it's the gourmet tacos and other items that you can't get at your local taqueria or taco van.

Precisely.

stephy
03-02-2010, 08:50 AM
gourmet tacos

rofl

I'm going to invest in a "gourmet" hot dog joint and charge $4.50 a dog.

You people will believe anything if it has a big enough price tag on it.

ultimatesooner
03-02-2010, 08:52 AM
I would hesitate to eat at one of those types of places. I really question the quality of their food and their cleanliness. At least BTT would seem to be much cleaner operation and have higher quality meat and ingredients. There is nothing wrong with simple and good, however, there are people out there that like to try new and different and if that means a more elaborate and higher prices so be it. Not everyone is "cheap" and looking for a "greasy" taco. Many people open their minds to try different things. I hardly think this is a novelty.

freakin yuppies man

positano
03-02-2010, 09:02 AM
rofl

As well as some who refuse to believe anything that costs more than a dollar and doesn't require cutting a vent in the plastic before microwaving.

Eep
03-02-2010, 09:12 AM
Like Chris Lower's other restaurants, BTT purchases some ingredients from local producers. This benefits the state economy and our local farmers and ranchers who struggle to compete on price against the factory farms and CAFOs but turn out a higher quality of product. You may or may not consider this to be an important issue, but it does help explain the food pricing.

As someone who lives a few blocks away, I'm ecstatic to have BTT there. I don't eat there particularly often since there aren't a lot of vegetarian options, but it's great to have an increasing number of alternatives to the big fast-food chains on 23rd St.

redrunner
03-02-2010, 09:23 AM
I agree with both sides of the argument. BTT does offer a unique menu with fresh ingredients with a twist. I think a big part of its popularity is about the social attraction. It's cool, hip and new. This is a place I'm used to seeing in Austin or Dallas. I just don't know if BTTs prices are aligned with what you can get in those previous mentioned cities.

Everytime I visit BTT I feel underwhelmed. There is absolutely not enough filler. I understand the tortillas are small but I would expect them to be overflowing if I were in Austin. I would happily frequent BTT if I could get a taco that didn't taste mostly like a tortilla. The price doesn't bother me as much as the lack of substance in their tacos. But it seems that they can command these prices here in OKC.

metro
03-02-2010, 09:31 AM
rofl

sorry stephy the antagonist to every argument, concept already been done. Sadly HOT DOG Park failed, but it was more to do with bad management, marketing and horrible location.

onthestrip
03-02-2010, 05:57 PM

Gourmet? Im not so sure what makes BTT so much more gourmet than a Los Camales. Is it because they throw in some random ingredients on a few tacos? And outside of some breakfast items I dont think there are many items that BTT offers that other taquerias dont. I would bet that most people singing BTT's praise have probably never even had a taco from a real taqueria.

Im not here to bash BTT because it does have some good food, but I think most of the infatuation stems from a good taco joint actually opening on the north side and even more so because it opened on the "hip" 23rd st area. I just wish a good authentic taqueria would open in the Plaza District so it I dont have to drive to south Agnew so much.

metro
03-02-2010, 06:38 PM
actually onthestrip, I eat at taco vans and Los Comales way more often than BTT. BTW I don't sing of it's praises, but recognize the local gourmet ingredients in some of it's dishes. There IS a difference in the quality, not necessarily the taste of some of the taco's that can go head to head.

CCOKC
03-02-2010, 10:49 PM
Do these taco stands have vegetarian options? I would love to try one of the other taco stands but am usually sol. I can only eat one crispy cado so $2.50 for dinner seems reasonable to me. If I am especially hungry I might get another one and spend $5.

Euphoria
03-03-2010, 08:27 AM
Gourmet? Im not so sure what makes BTT so much more gourmet than a Los Camales. Is it because they throw in some random ingredients on a few tacos? And outside of some breakfast items I dont think there are many items that BTT offers that other taquerias dont. I would bet that most people singing BTT's praise have probably never even had a taco from a real taqueria.

Im not here to bash BTT because it does have some good food, but I think most of the infatuation stems from a good taco joint actually opening on the north side and even more so because it opened on the "hip" 23rd st area. I just wish a good authentic taqueria would open in the Plaza District so it I dont have to drive to south Agnew so much.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to agree with you. BTT isn't bad, it's just overrated in my opinion.

I'm lucky enough to live in a predominately hispanic portion of town so when I get a craving for a taco I go down to the neighborhood taqueria. They always get a kick out of the white guy ordering in terrible spanish. But they're always quick, courteous, smiling, and cheap. However, I'm not aware if they serve breakfast.

stephy
03-03-2010, 09:40 AM
Sadly HOT DOG Park failed

Which is exactly what I think will happen to BTT once people realize they're getting ripped off with overpriced greasy copies of the exact same thing you can get in real taquerias.

positano
03-03-2010, 11:28 AM
Two of my favorite BTT specials have been the duck and the lamb. Tell me again which of the taquerias had those?

FritterGirl
03-03-2010, 11:40 AM
Which is exactly what I think will happen to BTT once people realize they're getting ripped off with overpriced greasy copies of the exact same thing you can get in real taquerias.

I've been to Las Camales in the Stockyards and the tacos I get, while good, are not much more than meat and a bit of onion on a flour tortilla. I have to ask for extra cilantro, and rarely get much.

Same with the taqueria in Edmond I go to. It's okay, but overall the flavors are just kind of "there."

Neither place is an establishment where I'd drive half-way across town to get to.

I have, and will continue, to drive half-way across town for Big Truck Tacos. IMO they're just that good. Lots of fresh ingredients, cooked to perfection,
the queso blanco on top, and their chicken tortilla soup is superb.

I've been mid-afternoon (3:00ish) the past two Saturdays running. Both times the place was packed, and it wasn't even the lunch rush.

I sincerely doubt they're going to go out of business anytime soon.

Chacun a son gout!

Matt
03-08-2010, 11:56 AM
This is Taco Bell's new Pacific Shrimp Taco.

http://i49.tinypic.com/2ef5ptz.jpg

It's a warm, soft flour tortilla filled with six succulent shrimp marinated in a mix of spices, then topped with crisp shredded lettuce, Fiesta Salsa, and Avocado Ranch Sauce, all for just $2.49.

Big Truck Tacos, you are on the way to destruction. You have no chance to survive make your time.

Martin
03-08-2010, 12:32 PM
...you are on the way to destruction. you have no chance to survive make your time.

ok... you win this thread. -M

alan
03-08-2010, 03:35 PM

Taco + Bell + Shrimp = Food Poisoning.

will not eat.

how many times do people have to be disappointed with fast food chains before they learn?

John
03-08-2010, 06:24 PM

http://i49.tinypic.com/2ef5ptz.jpg

It's a warm, soft flour tortilla filled with six succulent shrimp marinated in a mix of spices, then topped with crisp shredded lettuce, Fiesta Salsa, and Avocado Ranch Sauce, all for just $2.49.

Big Truck Tacos, you are on the way to destruction. You have no chance to survive make your time.

Okay, Taco Bell, being a giant corporation can't offer 'shrimp' tacos for any less than $2.49?

You do know that most tacos from BTT are in the $2.75-3.00 range, right?

That's not counting the time sick and money spent on medicine from ingesting Taco Bell's 'gourmet' offerings... BTT for me!

onthestrip
03-08-2010, 09:12 PM
Okay, Taco Bell, being a giant corporation can't offer 'shrimp' tacos for any less than $2.49?

You do know that most tacos from BTT are in the $2.75-3.00 range, right?

That's not counting the time sick and money spent on medicine from ingesting Taco Bell's 'gourmet' offerings... BTT for me!

No one is comparing BTT to Taco Bell

Dustin
03-08-2010, 11:04 PM
The point is.. BTT >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Taco Bell.

Jethrol
03-08-2010, 11:36 PM
rofl

http://smiliesftw.com/x/bowroflarms.gif

OKCMallen
03-09-2010, 08:19 AM
Taco + Bell + Shrimp = Food Poisoning.

will not eat.

how many times do people have to be disappointed with fast food chains before they learn?

Jim, I am NEVER disappointed with Taco Bell. Even bad Taco Bell is great.

alan
03-09-2010, 08:24 AM
Jim, I am NEVER disappointed with Taco Bell. Even bad Taco Bell is great.

your standards are too low.

your body deserves better. your tongue deserves better.

your wallet may be a couple dollars lighter and your gas tank also, but it is worth it not to be eating trash.

John
03-09-2010, 03:42 PM
No one is comparing BTT to Taco Bell

'Matt' was...

This quote isn't comparing BTT & TB?

fuzzytoad
03-09-2010, 03:43 PM
'Matt' was...

This quote isn't comparing BTT & TB?

are you for real?

don't worry Matt. at least one person on the forum got your reference.

nik4411
03-09-2010, 04:04 PM
haha yea, you all are taking that waaay too seriously. i thought it was funny. thanks matt.

Martin
03-09-2010, 04:12 PM
how are you gentlemen? -M

alan
03-09-2010, 04:14 PM
haha yea, you all are taking that waaay too seriously. i thought it was funny. thanks matt.

what is especially funny (sad) is how so many people truly feel that way about fast food chains. they'll defend eating garbage all the way to their early grave.

i say, GIVE ME TASTE, GIVE ME QUALITY, GIVE ME FRESH, GIVE ME LOCAL! or else i don't give you my money.

and that i take seriously.

:demonslay

fuzzytoad
03-09-2010, 04:23 PM
what is especially funny (sad) is how so many people truly feel that way about fast food chains. they'll defend eating garbage all the way to their early grave.

i say, GIVE ME TASTE, GIVE ME QUALITY, GIVE ME FRESH, GIVE ME LOCAL! or else i don't give you my money.

and that i take seriously.

:demonslay

Oh? so you were lying about Lee's Sandwiches?

http://www.okctalk.com/food-restaurants/11911-lees-sandwiches-biggest-sandwich-shop-ever-2.html#post294229

Jethrol
03-09-2010, 05:42 PM
i say, GIVE ME TASTE, GIVE ME QUALITY, GIVE ME FRESH,
Thing is, I didn't feel like I got that at all from BTT. What I got was over priced, over crowded, over greasy and over skimpy on the portions. There were literally pools of orange grease in my basket. I showed my friends and we were all kinda grossing out.

I mean it was cool that they had buffalo tacos but the flavor wasn't all that great.

To me it just seems like a whole bunch of hype for very little benefit.

Guess I just don't get it.

ultimatesooner
03-09-2010, 08:20 PM
There are 25 or 30 taco places better than BTT in OKC

JohnDenver
03-09-2010, 09:47 PM

I really wish I knew where. In my hometown I can rattle off the place I love... I have a hard time here in OKC, because I don't know the area.

With that, I take the Pepsi challenge (again). List me 10 place, I promise to try them all. With each place, tell me which tacos to order. I will go try them all next week.

upisgr8
03-09-2010, 09:55 PM
I really wish I knew where. In my hometown I can rattle off the place I love... I have a hard time here in OKC, because I don't know the area.

With that, I take the Pepsi challenge (again). List me 10 place, I promise to try them all. With each place, tell me which tacos to order. I will go try them all next week.
I am with you JD list 10 or 25 or whatever and I am in for a "Pepsi" challenge.

Jethrol
03-09-2010, 10:29 PM
I am with you JD list 10 or 25 or whatever and I am in for a "Pepsi" challenge.
HAHA what a great idea! I'm down for the Pepsi challenge.

Post em up boys! Where are dem tacos at? :kicking:

alan
03-09-2010, 10:37 PM
Oh? so you were lying about Lee's Sandwiches?

http://www.okctalk.com/food-restaurants/11911-lees-sandwiches-biggest-sandwich-shop-ever-2.html#post294229

that's hardly a national chain. a bunch of stores in california, a few in texas and one in oklahoma and arizona. and it is everything i described, except local. and there is always an exception to the rule. i also indulge in a big greasy sloppy Carl's Jr's burger about once a month. but the majority of my money goes to great local places.

if you don't like BTT there are plenty of great places in OKC. great places that aren't taco bell. thank goodness.

OKCMallen
03-10-2010, 11:25 AM
your standards are too low.

your body deserves better. your tongue deserves better.

your wallet may be a couple dollars lighter and your gas tank also, but it is worth it not to be eating trash.

Have you HAD Taco Bell?!?!?!?!?!?? It's glorious for what it is!

alan
03-10-2010, 02:21 PM

it took me ten years to get my bachelors degree. i have had far more than my fair share of taco hell.

i also spent a decade bartending. (roughly the same decade i was getting my degree. coincidence? ) they were usually the only place open when i got off work. yeah. i've had taco smell.

one day i finally decided cheap, convenient, fast and sort-of-resembles-food wasn't worth it. my body was a wrecked shamble of it's former glory. a natural consequence of poor food choices.

now i effort towards higher quality (even if it takes a few extra minutes from my precious day) and my body thanks me.

Mirage34
03-28-2010, 01:55 PM

That perhaps is the first time I've ever seen Taco Bell and the word "glorious" used in the same post, hopefully it's the last.

JerzeeGrlinOKC
04-07-2010, 04:03 PM
Went for the first time today...as the name of the sauce sauce implies...OMFG!

Great selection of items, reasonably priced for what you are getting - chips and queso are a great filler and good for waiting (I had fun putting all the hot sauces on the chips).

I was leary of eating a tongue taco, but, the Flaming Lips is awesome! I was at a loss for words. I think I'm a new fan of tongue. Had the rancher (yum!), the 5th amendment (it was OK), and something else that was yummy and had lots of tasty cilantro (I forgot, my fiance ordered). The I-40 Pileup salad was also delicious.

We'll be regulars for sure...

And for all of you comparing this to taco bell (most as a joke I'm assuming) SHAME ON YOU!!!! Sacrilege. Blasphemy. A crime. To say the least. You're only cheating yourself. Life is short, eat well ;-)

Armani
04-15-2010, 12:02 PM
Tacos San Pedro
1130 SW 59th St, Oklahoma City, OK 73109

I didn't think big truck was that great...and the line was crazy

metro
04-15-2010, 12:48 PM
There is a Tacos San Pedro on SW 44th too.

Back to topic, I had breakfast at BTT on Saturday. I must say, the customer service has improved some, and the tacos were amazing. I don't remember the breakfast burrito I got the time before this visit being as tasty. Definitely will be back for breakfast.

ultimatesooner
04-15-2010, 02:29 PM
try the pastor tacos @ abels 50th & macarthur
chalos @ 50th and rockwell has the best lengua around

BigBadBen
04-15-2010, 03:20 PM
HAHA what a great idea! I'm down for the Pepsi challenge.

Post em up boys! Where are dem tacos at? :kicking:

No doubt. You can't throw a claim out there like "There are 25 or 30 taco places better than BTT in OKC", and then bail when asked to post them.

Back it up, tell us where these taquerias are!

We're jonesin' for some taco's over here.

onthestrip
04-15-2010, 03:30 PM
As Ive said before in this thread, there are other great taquerias in this town that I'd rather have tacos at, mainly Los Comales. However, I do have to say that BTT's "the full monty" (migas with chorizo) is one of the best breakfast dishes in all of OKC.

metro
04-16-2010, 11:35 AM
Nah, the migas at Cafe Antigua are better.

metro
04-16-2010, 11:36 AM
No doubt. You can't throw a claim out there like "There are 25 or 30 taco places better than BTT in OKC", and then bail when asked to post them.

Back it up, tell us where these taquerias are!

We're jonesin' for some taco's over here.

Here is one taqueria thread, there are several more.

http://www.okctalk.com/food-restaurants/6977-taco-vans-nw-10th-street.html

G.Walker
04-17-2010, 02:25 AM
Are you people crazy? Big Truck has the best breakfast burritos I have ever tasted, try one with ham, cheese, eggs, and pico de gallo! Big Truck rules, you can get a nice, big burrito for only $4.62, and after you eat it, you won't need lunch! LOL

Martin
04-17-2010, 06:20 AM
dropped by los comales last night... i didn't think it was as good as big truck.

the prices were great for what you got, the place was clean and the staff was friendly. however, the tacos were on the greasy side and weren't seasoned quite as well as big truck. one taco in particular, made with shredded beef, didn't seem as if it was seasoned at all. on the other end of the spectrum, the chicken taco and quesadilla were way too dry and could have benefitted from a little grease.

you get more food for your money at los comales but all in all i think that big truck produces a better product.

-M

OkieBob
04-21-2010, 02:10 PM

I think there are 2 or 3 in the Plaza District alone. They are pretty darn good too. Most of the goos taco places in this city are small family owned places and off the beaten path. You all owe it to yourself to drive around the these predominantly latino neighborhoods to experience the authentic offerings.

IanMcDermid
04-23-2010, 06:59 AM
Los camales you have to get the verde pork. It's the only thing I've had there I HAVE to keep going back for.
I second tacos San Pedro sw 44th try any gordita and any wierd tacos like cheek tongue brain, the carne asada is good too and their burritos are insane.
I second abels but on I-240 service rd & may, had a pastor taco that blew my mind.

I had a much better btt experience the last couple times. Had a real nice burrito (thunder themed?) and there's no denying their guac is KILLER!

Also chica's in Nichols hills call my name from time to time w/ those deep fried suckers! Bookter T's which I believe is a relic recipe of the patio grill. Which is where I am now. Coincidince? Yes, entirely.

Martin
04-23-2010, 07:35 AM
los camales you have to get the verde pork.

i think i like btt's version a *bit* better... but they are close. of all the tacos i tried at los comales, the verde pork and the asada were my two favorites.

i second abels but on i-240 service rd & may...

i'm not familiar with this one... exactly where on i-240 & may?

-M

IanMcDermid
04-24-2010, 09:29 PM
i think i like btt's version a *bit* better... but they are close. of all the tacos i tried at los comales, the verde pork and the asada were my two favorites.

i'm not familiar with this one... exactly where on i-240 & may?

-M

West side of the road next to the 7-11. It doubles as outlaws BBQ.
My fav part about ables is they chop everything really fine. And tons of cilantro.

soonerguru
08-13-2011, 10:37 PM
On a recent visit, we were very disappointed to eat spoiled-tasting, nasty guac and spoiled-tasting hot sauce as well.

The service wasn't very good and the place wasn't even very busy.

It seems all their energy is in Mutt's right now, which is pretty good but not as good as Big Truck (was).

Lately, they haven't had specials and the last time I got the Fifth it was not good at all.

Is my experience an anomaly or is Big Truck starting to kind of suck?

Larry OKC
08-13-2011, 11:12 PM
Anytime you have spoiled tasting anything, definitely bring it to the attention of management (politely and without making a scene of course). While they should be doing their own "quality control", customers are a critical component in the information chain as they are usually the first to encounter it. No business wants food that could make someone sick being served.

ljbab728
08-13-2011, 11:27 PM
You're absolutely correct, Larry. Hopefully OKC Talk isn't the only place that sooner brought the problem up. If you like a restaurant and it isn't living up to it's past, you're doing a disservice by not mentioning it to management. Management of any ligitimate business appreciates constructive feedback.

dankrutka
08-14-2011, 12:46 AM
I went there recently and it was great as always...

BBatesokc
08-14-2011, 06:47 AM
I've been a critic of BTT in the past, but it would be complete bias to think their popularity is waining. We go at least once a week - twice this week with Saturday being the most recent visit. It is always busy and goes in flows from 1-2 people at the register to people out the door. They maintain this all day long, which is far better than most restaurants. Even yesterday morning they had to keep telling people not to leave the door open while standing in line (out the door) and the Migas were even better than usual (plenty big enough for two and when split makes for a very cheap breakfast).

The only complaints I had lately was the AC went out again (but they were on it immediately) and one morning the chips were obviously leftovers from the night before and we requested fresh ones.

soonerguru
08-14-2011, 01:30 PM
I did mention it to management. They offered to reimburse, but I said I just wanted them to know.

adaniel
08-14-2011, 04:25 PM
I have not been to BTT in a while. Last time I was there was October with my gf. The food was really good, but the service was not good at all and one of the cashiers was downright rude to my gf when the credit card machines went down. The place was only moderately busy yet the tables were trashed and all of the customers had to huddle on the few clean tables.

I have heard from many people that their service has always not been the best, maybe that was the first time I've noticed it. I guess the thought of pushy restaraunt workers adds to the allure of some places, kinda like that episode of Seinfield with the Soup Nazi. As someone else alluded to, every time I drive by the place is just as packed as when it first opened.

Try JT's if you are going in the middle of the day. The food is a wee bit better IMO.