View Full Version : Drive-In @ N.W. Expressway

sacolton
06-09-2009, 03:53 PM
When my parents moved us from Iowa to Oklahoma in 1974, there used to be a drive-in theater on the N.W. Expressway where Service Merchandise used to be. Now, it's just a outdoor mall ... next to Hertz office. Anyone remember the name of the drive-in?

papaOU
06-10-2009, 06:45 PM
When my parents moved us from Iowa to Oklahoma in 1974, there used to be a drive-in theater on the N.W. Expressway where Service Merchandise used to be. Now, it's just a outdoor mall ... next to Hertz office. Anyone remember the name of the drive-in?

The Northwest hi-way Drive in. Know it was near lake Hefner but not exactly where.

Being from Iowa did you always take your own popcorn to the movies?

I meant that as a joke but when I was growing up my family would take a grocery sack full of popcorn. Own soft drinks on ice and a few candies to the drivein. It was great fun. Of course as little kids we often went up front and played on the playground. Think people would let their kids do that today? Doubt it!!

twinkles
06-10-2009, 07:25 PM
I miss the drive-in. Made Mr. Twinkles promise to take me to Chickasha to the movies at least once this summer!

MikeOKC
06-10-2009, 07:40 PM

The name of the drive-in was Cinema 77. papaOU mentioned the Northwest Hiway Drive-In. That was actually on the NW Expressway just west of May Avenue where Borders and the Marriott are today.

bluedogok
06-10-2009, 08:06 PM
It was Cinema 70, I remember seeing The Towering Inferno in the rain there.

Here is a little bit of info about it.
Drive-ins.com - Oklahoma City - Cinema 70 (http://www.drive-ins.com/theater/oktcin3)
http://www.drive-ins.com/imagesdi/ok/oktcin3002.jpg

My wife and I have been meaning to go to the one in Shiner, Texas (http://www.drive-ins.com/theater/txtcros) sometime.

Thunder
06-10-2009, 08:14 PM
Does anyone know why there is lil or none drive-in theaters these days? What's the reason? Could this trend ever come back in popularity?

ddavidson8
06-10-2009, 09:07 PM
Does anyone know why there is lil or none drive-in theaters these days? What's the reason? Could this trend ever come back in popularity?

I don't know that it will ever come back completely, but there are two drive ins that have opened in the last 10 years that I know of. One is near Waller, TX and the other is on I-45 between Dallas and Houston. Both of these were built from scratch, not reopenings of old drive-ins that had previously closed.

bluedogok
06-10-2009, 09:12 PM
The one in Shiner is a new drive-in as well. There have been quite a few that have been opened in new locations but most are outside of the larger cities where the property values are much higher.

ddavidson8
06-10-2009, 09:52 PM
Well, if you'll allow me to preach, I think these buisnesses sould be supported. Considering small buisnesses are punished more and more these days. Also, don't sneak in your own concessions. Buy from them happily:).

papaOU
06-10-2009, 10:05 PM
The name of the drive-in was Cinema 77. papaOU mentioned the Northwest Hiway Drive-In. That was actually on the NW Expressway just west of May Avenue where Borders and the Marriott are today.

Sorry! Being a southsider we went to drive-ins in South Okc, Midwest City....

papaOU
06-10-2009, 10:07 PM
Well, if you'll allow me to preach, I think these buisnesses sould be supported. Considering small buisnesses are punished more and more these days. Also, don't sneak in your own concessions. Buy from them happily:).

At the time I was speaking of, early to mid '60's it wasn't a case of "sneaking" it was kind of a family thing............

At least we never hid anything..............

grantgeneral78
06-10-2009, 10:09 PM
is the old drive in still open in chickasha on highway 81?

papaOU
06-10-2009, 10:56 PM
is the old drive in still open in chickasha on highway 81?

Yes. Just looked it up.

Of course in OKC there is the Winchester.

kevinpate
06-11-2009, 05:09 AM
The Winchester on S Western is indeed alive and kicking, two shows on weeknights, 3 on Friday and Saturday.

Good stuff too, not any old thing.
$6 per adult head, three movies on a Friday (if you can stay awake til near 3 am ish)
Dang good value all in all
bathrooms leave something to be desired, but so do the ones in mega-plexes

papaOU
06-11-2009, 10:09 AM
Wonder if anyone does the dusk to dawn thing anymore.........

kevinpate
06-11-2009, 01:47 PM
Winchester's 3 fers in the summer come close, beginning about 9, 11, and post 1 am, so wrap up is pushing at 3 am. I've never known of them to offer a 4th

Of course, if they ever did the LOTR trilogy, that might make it a dusk to dawn event

papaOU
06-11-2009, 05:52 PM
My favorite drive-in movie:

WOODSTOCK

Generals64
06-11-2009, 06:44 PM
I miss the drive-in. Made Mr. Twinkles promise to take me to Chickasha to the movies at least once this summer!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's still the old time Drive-in out in the country type setting in Guthrie, Make him take you there too.

Easy180
06-11-2009, 08:00 PM
The Winchester on S Western is indeed alive and kicking, two shows on weeknights, 3 on Friday and Saturday.

Good stuff too, not any old thing.
$6 per adult head, three movies on a Friday (if you can stay awake til near 3 am ish)
Dang good value all in all
bathrooms leave something to be desired, but so do the ones in mega-plexes

Brother hit the Winchester last weekend and said it was beyond packed and they got one of the last spots...Not a big fan of drive in's but it's pretty cool to know that place is still thriving

papaOU
06-11-2009, 10:00 PM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's still the old time Drive-in out in the country type setting in Guthrie, Make him take you there too.

The Beacon Drive-in. If he won't take you I will..........

Generals64
06-12-2009, 09:28 PM
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can I go too????????

papaOU
06-12-2009, 11:21 PM
HEY!! '60 and '64........You two are the oldest boys of the bunch.......I know of no others.....If a few boundaries were shifted here and there you fellas could have went to the Dusk 'til Dawn movies with our beloved leader and den-mother wearing a helmet with fur and little bitty eye-slots.

Oh those beach bikini movies........Annette Fujijelloo........Did the ears on her cap grow in conjunction with her..............

Sorry!! Got something in my eye.............

Generals64
06-13-2009, 06:48 AM
I went to the dusk to dawn movies of course.....but, back then we had to WORK from Dawn to Dusk so we would just sleep through those stupid Horror flicks.....We would have to go on a date when it was two dollar a carload night so we could afford Popcorn and a Coke......They didn't have those funny pills you talk about back then huh '60?????

twinkles
06-13-2009, 06:57 PM

Hey, thanks!! I'll tell Mr. Twinkles I have an invite! I LOVE the drive-in!

twinkles
06-13-2009, 06:57 PM
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can I go too????????

You have to wear your jammies and stay in the backseat. No whining!! LOL

papaOU
06-13-2009, 08:27 PM
You have to wear your jammies and stay in the backseat. No whining!! LOL

Black silk........................

papaOU
06-13-2009, 08:28 PM
I'm gonna ask eastcoastokie if those drive-in's are on her makeout spots>>>>>>>>>>>

lt14life
04-10-2010, 06:56 PM
The N.W. Hi-way Drive Inn was at N.W. Hi-Way and independence and their was a Dunfords Texaco next to it as I worked their as a teenager. Now its a 7-eleven and the Drive inn is the Hotel Mariot. The Drive inn that your asking about was farther west I think ?? But boy I sure do have alot of great memories from the old N.W. Hi-Way drive inn.

Hammondjam
04-11-2010, 02:29 PM
Back when I was a kid, my folks would do the grocery bag of popcorn too. It wasn't to cheat the owners. It was because OUR popcorn just tasted better and my appetite for popcorn was phenomenal if not somewhat scary. We'd also take a pic-a-nic basket(Back Yogi!) loaded with fried chicken and some Sweetheart colas and go to the Hillcrest, the Riviera, the 77 Drive-In and occasionally, the Sooner Twin. Once in a great while, we'd travel north and go to the aforementioned venues.

My dad would catch a catnap since that was the only time that I EVER shutup and was quiet while in a car. Munchin on chicken and watching the radioactive island monsters eat the villagers. What a life!!

PennyQuilts
04-11-2010, 04:43 PM
I'm gonna ask eastcoastokie if those drive-in's are on her makeout spots>>>>>>>>>>>

The last time I was there I was 8 months pregnant and the oldest was asleep in the car.

But, yeah, there was some smooching going on - I admit it.

I was young.

NikonNurse
04-12-2010, 07:12 AM
The drive in was just east of Hertz. In the area that was Service Merchandise and currently houses Donna's Hallmark.

Jim Kyle
04-13-2010, 12:16 PM
Don't forget the one at May Avenue and Britton Road, on the NE corner where today there's a strip mall. I think it was the Twilight Gardens, but that may have been the name of the one on NW 39 just west of Countil Road... It had a playground for the kids, to keep them busy until it got dark enough for the movie.

As for the Cinema 70 that started this thread, that's where I first saw "Patton" with George C. Scott...

NikonNurse
04-13-2010, 02:44 PM
39th and council was Lake-Air or Lakeaire...or sumtin'

Generals64
04-13-2010, 03:50 PM

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Was it Lakeside?...I know my LAST date with any girl other than the one I married (44 years) was at that drive inn. It was by the bridge that crosses the lake if I remember right.....Took my wife to be out the next night and that was that....

papaOU
04-13-2010, 04:04 PM
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Was it Lakeside?...I know my LAST date with any girl other than the one I married (44 years) was at that drive inn. It was by the bridge that crosses the lake if I remember right.....Took my wife to be out the next night and that was that....

Lakeside was an indoor theater on N. May north of 63rd. When I was a kid they showed all the Disney films there but they also had first run movies like "The Longest Day."

Jim Kyle
04-13-2010, 04:26 PM
Right! It was at Grand Blvd and May (actually Country Club Drive and May, about 50 yards south of the Grand Blvd intersection), across from the Lakeside Shopping Center which is still around...

gen70
04-13-2010, 06:18 PM
Anybody remember the 66 Drive-in?

papaOU
04-13-2010, 06:25 PM

Is that the one that was North of Lake Overholser and was East of the Canadian ?

gen70
04-13-2010, 06:53 PM
Is that the one that was North of Lake Overholser and was East of the Canadian ? It was just off Rt. 66 kinda close to Lincoln Blvd. It sat empty for many years. I know it had been closed before 1971.

bluedogok
04-13-2010, 09:49 PM
Lake Air Drive In (http://www.drive-ins.com/theater/oktlake)
It is on the north side of 39th west of Council right before the bridge by the Bluff Creek Canal gates. Even a couple of years ago there were a building and sign still around there. My parents said the mosquitos were always bad out there.

Cinema 66 Drive-In (http://www.drive-ins.com/theater/oktcin2)
From the link above: on Route 66, Entrance off Grand Blvd

gen70
04-13-2010, 09:55 PM
It is on the north side of 39th west of Council right before the bridge by the Bluff Creek Canal gates. Even a couple of years ago there were a building and sign still around there. My parents said the mosquitos were always bad out there.

From the link above: on Route 66, Entrance off Grand Blvd Thanks, Dog my long term memory ain't that bad after all. I love them old Drive-Ins.

bluedogok
04-13-2010, 10:03 PM
That is a pretty neat site to look through, there in another one out there but it doesn't have as comprehensive of a database.

gen70
04-13-2010, 10:09 PM
That is a pretty neat site to look through, there in another one out there but it doesn't have as comprehensive of a database. I think I have checked out most of them. Got a good story about the"66" but, can't tell it here.

papaOU
04-13-2010, 11:41 PM

From the link above: on Route 66, Entrance off Grand Blvd

That building, projection booth and another level beneath it, had people living there a few years back as well.

Prunepicker
04-14-2010, 10:11 PM
When my parents moved us from Iowa to Oklahoma in 1974, there used to be
a drive-in theater on the N.W. Expressway where Service Merchandise used
to be. Now, it's just a outdoor mall ... next to Hertz office. Anyone remember
the name of the drive-in?
It was the Cinema 70. Spent many evenings there.