View Full Version : What were your favorite childhood toys?

Pages : [1] 2

Prunepicker
06-04-2009, 02:16 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_awi5nS7w8Y&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_awi5nS7w8Y&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I thought this was so cool.

Generals64
06-04-2009, 03:11 PM
Great thread Topic:.....My favorite was a stick horse..."seriously" I wasn't real hard to please... But, I really enjoyed the old Balsa wood planes that were a nickle each and the Wooden tops were great especially when you could file the point down and "spike" someone else's top .... That was kinda wrong I think. Then of Course, Red Ryder B-B Gun and the original Mattel Fanner 50 (still have one of those) and then the board games we would play for hours upon hours I remember one Monopoly game that lasted for two days...You know Friday night and Saturday morning....when you're just a kid that's two days....and Last but not least don't forget the coveted Marbles......there were so many toys and so short a time....But, "Remember When".....

kevinpate
06-04-2009, 03:27 PM
Tonka Toys, the way they made them back then. They could handle the realistic explosions of silver slautes and still come back to the dirt pile for another load
(having older brothers did have some advantages, not many, but some)

Generals64
06-04-2009, 03:43 PM
Tonka Toys, the way they made them back then. They could handle the realistic explosions of silver slautes and still come back to the dirt pile for another load
(having older brothers did have some advantages, not many, but some)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In 1988 I was working for a Sales company out of Dallas...there was a third quarter Sales contest that consisted of a Large dollar bonus (nice one) and a Surprise that was guaranteed to make your family happy and excited (thought maybe a trip to Vegas). Well, I won the contest got the cash bonus and the bonus prize was to be given during the first week of December (year-end Sales Meeting) the Owner of the company found a Robot about three foot tall and that was the exciting contest prize ...My kids enjoyed it at Christmas for about 24 hrs. Then, they didn't have time for that, they had new bicycles....The prize went back in the box and in the closet and about two months later the sales manager asked if I still had it and I said yeah it's in great condition. HE wanted the robot.....Got my trip to Vegas after all....the price of the toy tells the age of the boys....

papaOU
06-04-2009, 04:06 PM
I have to agree with '64 balsa airplanes especially with the plastic propeller and a rubber band for power. One yearn my Dad got a case of kites from somewhere. They were promotional items for Jiffy Peanut Butter. Everyone of them were the same with that kangaroo on it.

Army men. Didn't really matter if they were U.S. vs. Germany/Japan; Cowboys and Indians; Civil War; Knights..I even had a castle for the knights.

And how about those whistles made from banding straps. Cut it so you have three holes. Bend it at the second.....put it in your mouth and blow..........

Generals64
06-04-2009, 04:22 PM
I have to agree with '64 balsa airplanes especially with the plastic propeller and a rubber band for power. One yearn my Dad got a case of kites from somewhere. They were promotional items for Jiffy Peanut Butter. Everyone of them were the same with that kangaroo on it.

Army men. Didn't really matter if they were U.S. vs. Germany/Japan; Cowboys and Indians; Civil War; Knights..I even had a castle for the knights.

And how about those whistles made from banding straps. Cut it so you have three holes. Bend it at the second.....put it in your mouth and blow..........
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
O.K. I'll bring some banding material and you show me that trick at the next meeting...Plastic or metal banding?....Do I need a Drill tell me what to bring..Oh Yeah, I still have some of my little plastic men (cowboys of course)....I have about 150# of Lego blocks I got my kids......I think since you've been such a good boy here lately I think there is a New Lego set in the old van......See ya next time.....Did you ever get those kites out after a snow storm and pack Snow Balls on them ....fly them over a street and jerk the string, watch the snow balls (with rocks) bounce off the top of cars....????Police didn't like it either....they took the kite too...Oh well, 10 cents later, a new kite and the Bombadeer was at it again.....Oh to live on the Southside again....We should have a meeting at the old Airline Motel....No, that's a REAL bad idea......I think Prunepicker lived there for a while....

papaOU
06-04-2009, 04:35 PM
HOW ABOUT THOSE LINCOLN LOGS!!!

Through the year we put together model ships, airplanes, tanks.......all manner military subjects.
On the 4Th of July we put on the biggest air, naval and land battles ever staged. one year we pooled our money and bought a small wading pool. Great for that air and sea battle..............................

Generals64
06-04-2009, 04:54 PM
HOW ABOUT THOSE LINCOLN LOGS!!!

Through the year we put together model ships, airplanes, tanks.......all manner military subjects.
On the 4Th of July we put on the biggest air, naval and land battles ever staged. one year we pooled our money and bought a small wading pool. Great for that air and sea battle..............................
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Was it one of those small blue plastic pools?....I bought my dog one of those so he could sun bathe it style a few weeks ago. Did you (or were you old enough) ever put a cherry bomb under one of your mother's tea glasses? Super dumb idea...Picked glass for a week...

papaOU
06-04-2009, 07:00 PM
Was it one of those small blue plastic pools?....I bought my dog one of those so he could sun bathe it style a few weeks ago. Did you (or were you old enough) ever put a cherry bomb under one of your mother's tea glasses? Super dumb idea...Picked glass for a week...

No. It was one of those rubber ones.

Never had any cherry bombs.

One year someone went to Coit's after closing and blue up the plastic signs and some speakers............
never figured out how you could pop firecrackers or such that late at night and nobody heard it or bothered to call the cops.

Of course where I live you can see the fireworks from Brick Town. It's just when I hear such nosies anytime of year I go to the middle of my bedroom and lay flat on the floor until it stops.

Generals64
06-04-2009, 08:30 PM
No. It was one of those rubber ones.

Never had any cherry bombs.

One year someone went to Coit's after closing and blue up the plastic signs and some speakers............
never figured out how you could pop firecrackers or such that late at night and nobody heard it or bothered to call the cops.

Of course where I live you can see the fireworks from Brick Town. It's just when I hear such nosies anytime of year I go to the middle of my bedroom and lay flat on the floor until it stops.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SI!!!!!Man, Cherry Bombs were to die for :..........literary.....They were as bad as everyone says they were.....A beer can half full was fun and interesting....My dad didn't think so though.....only once....

Prunepicker
06-04-2009, 08:48 PM
O.K. I'll bring some banding material and you show me that trick at the
next meeting... Plastic or metal banding? Do I need a Drill tell me what to
bring?

Bring the metal. There should already be holes. Bring some tin snips. If
the banding doesn't have holes then bring a drill.

Oh to live on the Southside again... We should have a meeting at the old
Airline Motel....No, that's a REAL bad idea... I think Prunepicker lived there for a while...

BAAAAAD IDEA! Had some parties there. One was in a room directly in
front of the fire station. We were all sitting around being minors when all of
these flashing lights came on. We thought it was a raid. The firemen must
have come back from a run. Too bad nobody had a Bell & Howell with
sound. LOL!

papaOU
06-04-2009, 08:58 PM
Bring the metal. There should already be holes. Bring some tin snips. If
the banding doesn't have holes then bring a drill.

BAAAAAD IDEA! Had some parties there. One was in a room directly in
front of the fire station. We were all sitting around being minors when all of
these flashing lights came on. We thought it was a raid. The firemen must
have come back from a run. Too bad nobody had a Bell & Howell with
sound. LOL!

Did you flush the source of "entertainment"?

That was one of the perks you got from hanging around Paseo. Anytime there was a raid people started throwing stuff on the pool tables, best place was to drop it down the pockets of the pool tables while others were saying , here! eat this or take this............

Cops were pretty cool with us regulars. Knew they would never find us "holding'" and we never gave them any trouble.

Does that count as "toys"?

grantgeneral78
06-05-2009, 05:25 AM
Mine was a old gyroscope from otasco.....sheesh wish I could find one!

Oh GAWD the Smell!
06-05-2009, 05:39 AM
Tools that my dad gave me and books. Lots of books.

Andrew Henry's Meadow was the greatest story every told in my young world.

stick47
06-05-2009, 07:37 AM
Had a pair of these cap guns with holsters. That was about 1955 or 56.
http://www.lototoys2.com/joel/11163.jpg

grantgeneral78
06-05-2009, 03:45 PM
Had a pair of these cap guns with holsters. That was about 1955 or 56.
http://www.lototoys2.com/joel/11163.jpg

How cool is that.

stick47
06-05-2009, 03:58 PM
Yes I was well armed at age 9 but in truth those 45s that my Dad bought for my birthday that year weren't all tooled like in the picture. They were plain chrome plated and had more realistc styled bullets. Insert the cap under the bullet and it would fire when you dropped the hammer.

papaOU
06-05-2009, 04:08 PM
do they even sell caps anymore? Used to have fun popping the caps without a gun. use thumb, a rock, heel................

Generals64
06-05-2009, 05:11 PM
Mine was a old gyroscope from otasco.....sheesh wish I could find one!

Sometimes Santa comes to our Meetings....But you wouldn't know would you?????

Generals64
06-05-2009, 05:12 PM
do they even sell caps anymore? Used to have fun popping the caps without a gun. use thumb, a rock, heel................

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
How many do you want????The old Van is full of surprises.....

Generals64
06-16-2009, 04:40 PM
Anybody remember the Old Wrist Rockets?....How about the big button with a string in it? If you remember the plain button and the string then you most surely remember getting that D*&% Thing caught in your hair....Huh????????
Did any of you ever have a set of Clackers?????? how many Summer week-ends did you spend playing Monopoly all night long?????How many friendships were challenged when you landed on Boardwalk and the other person had all the Hotels he could get on there and you didn't have the money to bail yourself out.....Yep...The Village Idiot used to cheat real, real bad....

grantgeneral78
06-16-2009, 09:39 PM
2 words.......-SILLY PUTTY

papaOU
06-16-2009, 10:27 PM
girls!!!

possumfritter
06-16-2009, 11:05 PM
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r308/countrygirl_23/th2010jkz.jpg

mireaux
06-17-2009, 04:20 AM
i grew up in the 1980s..we had the best toys of the entire 20th century, barnone!

....transformers, the 3 inch posable action figure g.i. joes (not the 12 inch dolls from the 60s/70s), thundercats, m.a.s.k., teenage mutant ninja turtles, gobots, masters of the universe, battle beasts, m.u.s.c.l.e., flipsiders, rocklords, rubik cube, light bright, etch-a-sketch animator, micro machines, and just about any toy coming out of a fast food "happy meal", esp mcdonalds

Generals64
06-17-2009, 05:40 AM
i grew up in the 1980s..we had the best toys of the entire 20th century, barnone!

....transformers, the 3 inch posable action figure g.i. joes (not the 12 inch dolls from the 60s/70s), thundercats, m.a.s.k., teenage mutant ninja turtles, gobots, masters of the universe, battle beasts, m.u.s.c.l.e., flipsiders, rocklords, rubik cube, light bright, etch-a-sketch animator, micro machines, and just about any toy coming out of a fast food "happy meal", esp mcdonalds

================================================== ===========
You sound like one of my kids....The worst thing in the world to step (next to jacks) was a micro machine. They left endible Scars marks forever....Still have my sons Micromachines and The Masters of the Universe.....

Generals64
08-13-2009, 07:50 PM
I saw this thread and began wondering about it again. Whatever happened to the Paddle Balls....Wooden Tops.....Wonder where all of those model cars ended up I know the Village Idiot has some of his left and he keeps them hidden. How about the old Electric Trains????the VI still has some of the smoke pellets...wonder how much they would bring on ebay?...Fanner 50's?...I still have one of those....but, some of this stuff is probably still hidden in a warehouse along with Indiana Jones' stuff.....You new guys and gals...."What was your favorite Toy?"

Prunepicker
08-13-2009, 08:10 PM
Those paddle balls show up every now and then.

I've been looking for a wooden top. I got to where I could scoop one up and
have it spin in my hand. The modern ones with the plastic tip were great
because we could play with them in the house when we couldn't go outside.

I still play with a yoyo.

Jacks are still fun. The hard part is getting up from being on the floor.

Prunette got me an N scale train a few years ago. Lots of fun.

papaOU
08-13-2009, 08:13 PM
Does anyone play marbles anymore?

Chinese Checkers?

Lincoln Logs?

Simple Kites?

Electric Football?

One good thing that is gone; CLACKERS!!!!

SOUTHSIDE GIRL
08-14-2009, 09:36 AM
What about the hula hoop

Jesseda
08-14-2009, 12:25 PM
My favorite childhood toy was

the super soaker

decepticobra
08-14-2009, 02:19 PM
i wont say anything cause my avatar should give it away.

twinkles
08-15-2009, 07:09 PM
My husband's favorite birthday present was a Johnny Astro.

I loved my Chatty Cathy doll.

grantgeneral78
08-15-2009, 08:02 PM
Great toys today at the meeting Frisky , sure brought back a ton of memories and the year books did too.....AWESUM!

FRISKY
08-15-2009, 08:07 PM
Great toys today at the meeting Frisky , sure brought back a ton of memories and the year books did too.....AWESUM!Glad you liked them. I will try to bring different ones next time.

papaOU
08-16-2009, 02:18 AM
Little Girls.......

What else????????

Generals64
08-16-2009, 07:20 AM
My husband's favorite birthday present was a Johnny Astro.

I loved my Chatty Cathy doll.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In my adventures weekly a few years ago, I found a "Perfect" Chatty Cathy.....she even spoke well when you pull her string.....My mother-in-law collected dolls and I gave it to her for Christmas one year.....Two sister-in-laws almost got into a fight over it.....they're both over fifty years old. Mother-in-law laughed and put it in a showcase.......She enjoyed the possession of the doll more than anything and she still had it when she passed away in '05...don't know what happened to the doll...suspect one of the others got it...Oh well, just a toy.

PennyQuilts
08-16-2009, 01:37 PM
My dog.

Generals64
08-16-2009, 03:59 PM
My dog.

what about old paint?????

papaOU
08-16-2009, 05:37 PM
My Mom was so strict that she didn't allow my 2 sisters to let Kim and Barbie spend the night in the same room...........................:omg:

grantgeneral78
08-17-2009, 06:13 AM
Thank goodness now I know the name....WHEEL-O

grantgeneral78
08-17-2009, 06:15 AM
Found this site thought maybe it would bring back a few memorys.
Welcome to the Classic Toy Museum - Whee-lo (http://www.burlingamepezmuseum.com/classictoy/wheelo.html)

TaoMaas
08-17-2009, 06:47 AM
The toy that made the biggest impact on me was a unicycle that my uncle made for me for Christmas when I was in the 3rd grade. The next best "toy" I had was 50 ft. of rope and a pulley. It sounds pretty simple, but we used that for all sorts of stuff!

rowdy55ok
08-17-2009, 10:08 AM
NONE
Had too many siblings & cousins to play with.

grantgeneral78
08-18-2009, 08:46 PM
there was some cars we used to play with they had a plastic strip with teeth you put into the car from the top and jerked it out fast and set it down andit would take off....cannot remember the name for the life of me.

SE-76
08-18-2009, 09:01 PM
there was some cars we used to play with they had a plastic strip with teeth you put into the car from the top and jerked it out fast and set it down andit would take off....cannot remember the name for the life of me.

something "SST" ? had a big drive wheel like a gyroscope?

CCOKC
08-19-2009, 10:49 PM
I was a huge jigsaw puzzle fan. I even had the big puzzle caddy so I could do a 3000 piece puzzle and put it away when I wasn't working on it. Truth be told I still have the puzzle caddy but have not worked on it in years. My dad and I used to give each other the hardest puzzles we could find for our birthdays to try and stump each other. But I even love easy puzzles and will on occasion do my little nephews puzzles if given a chance. But my absolute favorites are landscape puzzles that have sky, flowers, a building of some sort and either grass or a lake.

PennyQuilts
08-20-2009, 05:20 AM
what about old paint?????

You would be referring to Starr. My horse. He was no toy, he was the love of my life. Well, until I hit puberty at which point he became my buddy.

Generals64
08-20-2009, 06:42 AM
This is a great thread to shake your memory "Cobwebs". Does anyone remember the Dick Tracy .38 snub nose with shoulder holster. I got a set for Christmas in the fourth grade along with my Cub Scout shirt. Thought I was so cool when we drove to Ardmore for Christmas and wore them both....Dork City I know.....Service Station attendent in Purcell didn't give us any problems. Pumped tht 23 cent gass and told us to be careful....How about a Radio Flyer Wagon. Did any of you have a Wagon. I know PapaOu did cause he says he keeps falling off the wagon.......Red Ryder B-B gun???????? Put your eye out? Man, that was the only protection we had...many B-B gun fights....

stick47
08-20-2009, 06:53 AM
This is a great thread to shake your memory "Cobwebs". Does anyone remember the Dick Tracy .38 snub nose with shoulder holster. I got a set for Christmas in the fourth grade along with my Cub Scout shirt. Thought I was so cool when we drove to Ardmore for Christmas and wore them both....Dork City I know.....Service Station attendent in Purcell didn't give us any problems. Pumped tht 23 cent gass and told us to be careful....How about a Radio Flyer Wagon. Did any of you have a Wagon. I know PapaOu did cause he says he keeps falling off the wagon.......Red Ryder B-B gun???????? Put your eye out? Man, that was the only protection we had...many B-B gun fights....

Had the Dick Tracy set and also the Red Ryder. No wagon but we made our own Hot Wheel. Parents didn't throw out my long unused 16" tricycle so we took it apart, inverted the frame, put the fork back in and w/a rope, tied a board across the rear axle to sit on. That would have been about 1955. A few years later Mattel made a Bazillion dollars off their version.

papaOU
08-20-2009, 08:39 AM

My parents still have the wagon..........

Generals64
08-20-2009, 08:32 PM
My parents still have the wagon..........

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
you are a Lucky Guy.....I have the wagon, not the parents.....Miss them both very much....Still have the only Baseball Glove my dad ever got me....But, I still have his old Hunting Rifle and His Cooking Iron Skillet....Those were his two favorite Toys.

MsDarkstar
08-21-2009, 03:39 PM
OK, someone help me remember what this toy was.... I got it when I was about 4yrs old so maybe 1983/84. It was a safari/zoo type thing...came with a jeep I think that you could pull back to wind the wheels, then let it go & it would follow a track through either a jungle or zoo setting. I remember it coming in a big flat box, and there were plastic animals that went with it.

Another favorite of mine:

http://www.timewarptoys.com/fpcastle1.jpg

Prunepicker
08-21-2009, 04:29 PM
OK, someone help me remember what this toy was... I got it when I was
about 4yrs old so maybe 1983/84. It was a safari/zoo type thing... came
with a jeep I think that you could pull back to wind the wheels, then let it
go & it would follow a track through either a jungle or zoo setting. I
remember it coming in a big flat box, and there were plastic animals that
went with it.

Another favorite of mine:

http://www.timewarptoys.com/fpcastle1.jpg
Was it the "Little Kingdom"?

Generals64
08-21-2009, 04:39 PM
Was it the "Little Kingdom"?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whatever it is called, they are "Weebles"....If my dog sees them he'll show you that they can "Fall Down"....The Action Hero toy store in Pauls Valley is a buyer on something like that....the condition looks great....

MsDarkstar
08-21-2009, 05:17 PM
The pic I posted was of Fisher Price Little Peoples Castle. I was asking about a different toy, the safari zoo thingy. Don't think it was a weeble wobble or little peoples item.

Doug Loudenback
08-21-2009, 08:16 PM
I don't remember a lot of purchased toys. I remember home-made match-guns (with 2 spring-type clothes pins) and rubber guns (with inner tube bands). I remember being proud when I was finally able to succeed in getting a top to work ... this kind:

http://www.greycolor.net/images/20090227225452_mtbnm022709004.jpg

Gyroscopes were cool, too.

Generals64
08-22-2009, 07:19 AM
I don't remember a lot of purchased toys. I remember home-made match-guns (with 2 spring-type clothes pins) and rubber guns (with inner tube bands). I remember being proud when I was finally able to succeed in getting a top to work ... this kind:

http://www.greycolor.net/images/20090227225452_mtbnm022709004.jpg

Gyroscopes were cool, too.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Doug:...you found the holy grail....I have not been able to find a wooden top anywhere. Even the people in the antique stores just shake their heads. I got to the point I could "Spike" the other guys top and win the competition....However, you usually split the other top and nobody won anything...just made your friend made at you....probably could even wrap it now....

Generals64
08-22-2009, 07:22 AM
The pic I posted was of Fisher Price Little Peoples Castle. I was asking about a different toy, the safari zoo thingy. Don't think it was a weeble wobble or little peoples item.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sorry about being "wrong" on the posted toy, That isn't a weeble....My dog just the other night chewd up the horse from my oldest sons Weeble Wagon. The horse in your picture is the same....and Yes, there was a Safrai Trail by Fisher Price. I think I have one in the attic that was my youngest sons...about your age. 'll see if I can find it. My wife save EVERYTHING from my kids childhood.....Must have 300 pounds of Legos....

MsDarkstar
08-22-2009, 09:55 AM
I'm sure my old one is either in the attic or the garage at my folks house...they never threw anything away from my childhood either lol. I just couldn't remember the name of it!