View Full Version : New Strip Mall

mtpinto
05-20-2009, 08:46 PM
Yippie, More trees knocked down in Edmond for another strip mall.
On Covell, between Sooner and Coltrane.

fromdust
05-20-2009, 09:36 PM
cool. hope they bring some good stuff in.

hipsterdoofus
05-21-2009, 07:16 AM
I hope they put up 6 more stoplights to control traffic around it.

lasomeday
05-21-2009, 08:13 AM
That is why I don't live in Edmond!

EdmondBrad
05-21-2009, 08:17 AM
You're missing out.

alan
05-21-2009, 08:28 AM
lets get the retail space that is already built and empty rented first, then we can build some new ones.

for instance: the retail space north of 150th (33rd) and Western is beautiful, incredible, premium and very, very available.

lasomeday
05-21-2009, 08:36 AM
That is not the Edmond way. It is build first or destroy nature and then cover with pavement. Wallah! Wal-Mart, and no more hill.

kevinpate
05-21-2009, 08:40 AM
I'm another one whose life doesn't include Edmond on any regular basis.
That fact alone is enough to justify my belief in a higher power.
8^)

Luke
05-21-2009, 08:48 AM
Wow, lots of hostility toward Edmond.

EdmondBrad
05-21-2009, 09:36 AM
Wow, lots of hostility toward Edmond.

That says more about the poster than Edmond.

Centerback
05-21-2009, 10:18 AM
lets get the retail space that is already built and empty rented first, then we can build some new ones.

for instance: the retail space north of 150th (33rd) and Western is beautiful, incredible, premium and very, very available.

With unusually, very, very red light posts.

fromdust
05-21-2009, 10:55 AM
i have no beef with edmond, except for the traffic. hope to move back in the next couple of months.

CuatrodeMayo
05-21-2009, 01:06 PM
For a city with a tree as it's logo, Edmond sure hates trees.

alan
05-21-2009, 02:22 PM
With unusually, very, very red light posts.

lol! true.

hipsterdoofus
05-21-2009, 02:44 PM
That is why I don't live in Edmond!

Oh give me a break. I complain, but you will find things you don't like in a lot of places. I'm not sure what it is that you are saying is a reason to not live in Edmond, but I rather think you'll find strip malls in any city.

For a city with a tree as it's logo, Edmond sure hates trees.

Or maybe they haven't figured out how to build stuff on TOP of trees yet, so they have to remove them...maybe you can figure that one out for us.

alan
05-21-2009, 02:58 PM
Or maybe they haven't figured out how to build stuff on TOP of trees yet, so they have to remove them...maybe you can figure that one out for us.

i think i'd rather enjoy visiting a business built in the top of trees in swiss-family-robison style....

CuatrodeMayo
05-21-2009, 06:24 PM

It's not rocket science. It's quite easy.

They did a fine job on the first Spring Creek development.

Contrast the former forest turned desolate wasteland between 2nd and 15th west of I-35 to the church on the east side. It can be done...but only when someones gives a crap.

And for the record, I grew up in Edmond.

hipsterdoofus
05-21-2009, 09:04 PM
And for the record, I grew up in Edmond.

gee thanks, I care.

I think it most cases in neighborhoods and such nowadays, they do try to keep the trees. As bad as you think it is, it is certainly not as bad as in the 80's and early 90s - you go into those neighborhoods it is all new growth...SOME of the newer ones are better at leaving what was there.

Also of note, Edmond didn't originally have the trees that it has now (or anywhere near that) as I understand it....so I'd think there wouldn't be anything criminal with taking some of them down again.

Tex
05-21-2009, 09:06 PM
I thought it was an old wives' tale that there are no trailer parks in Edmond, but I've seen them! They're hidden, so I think that's why they've been able to escape the rath of the snobby Edmonites.

alan
05-21-2009, 09:20 PM
wow.

bitter.

hipsterdoofus
05-22-2009, 10:14 AM
I thought it was an old wives' tale that there are no trailer parks in Edmond, but I've seen them! They're hidden, so I think that's why they've been able to escape the rath of the snobby Edmonites.

People who think Edmondites are all snobby obviously do not know people from there. Its a myth that keeps getting perpetuated by people who don't live there.

Richard at Remax
05-22-2009, 10:38 AM
I live and edmond and love it. Don't understand where all the hatred comes from

td25er
05-22-2009, 11:34 AM
Regarding snobs, Norman is 100X worse than Edmond.

zrfdude
05-22-2009, 02:46 PM
Yes!

hipsterdoofus
05-26-2009, 07:49 AM
I'm sure there are snobs anywhere. I'd say that most of the snobby people in Edmond moved there from somewhere else. My family goes back to the Landrun being in Edmond and isn't rich or snobby.

alan
05-26-2009, 08:33 AM
I'm sure there are snobs anywhere. I'd say that most of the snobby people in Edmond moved there from somewhere else. My family goes back to the Landrun being in Edmond and isn't rich or snobby.

Exactly. Snobby isn't an Edmond condition or a Norman condition, it is a people condition. As is stupid, stingy, jerky, ignorant, mean or whatever.

and don't tell me it is a rich or poor or middle class thing. i've met snobby poor people.

a certain percentage of people anywhere are just jerks. period. and sometimes you just catch people on bad days.

so lets all act like sorta mature people and leave the name calling in grade school.

fuzzytoad
05-26-2009, 08:02 PM
Whenever I go to the Albertsons/Williams/Homeland at Danforth & Bryant for groceries, I'm always aware that the Escalade-driving super-soccer moms are looking down their noses at me as I push my cart around the opulent grocery store that GOD HIMSELF placed at that location just for the use of the snobby, well-kept, social-elite that make up the Kickingbird community(both residential and club-members)..

I've been told, on numerous occasions, that if I DARE look directly into the eyes of children being carted about in $12,000 strollers(yes, that amount has been quoted to me at least 4 times), I will corrupt the euro-asian adopted children of the culturally elite beyond all hope of recovery..

Apparently the standard of clientele for this particular Edmond-based grocery store is well beyond my reach on any level... In order to attain the acceptable plateau of acceptance, one must earn NO LESS than $200,000(yes, I was told this by a lady in line) a year.. she even pointed her fingers at me in the face when she said "NO LESS".. hehe

One must learn to soldier on in Edmond.. Ignoring the cat-calls and heavy sighs of the tennis-gear garbed harpies that patrol these so-called "public" places in Edmond.

Besides the traffic it is a nice place to live..

and seriously, go to the Homeland at Bryant and Danforth around 6-8pm wearing sweatpants and a ripped t-shirt to buy beer.. it's a hilarious experience...

sometimes they open a checkout lane just for you so the "elite" won't have to look at you :LolLolLol

andimthomas
05-26-2009, 08:15 PM
That is not the Edmond way. It is build first or destroy nature and then cover with pavement. Wallah! Wal-Mart, and no more hill.

Are you talking about the WalMart all the way up there that you could see from the highway below? I've passed it multiple times, wanting to go in. But never found out how to get there...

Richard at Remax
05-26-2009, 08:50 PM
in response to fuzzytoad :doh:

alan
05-26-2009, 09:52 PM

i've been around edmond/ nw okc for about 18 years. i've never had that experience.

ps - i'm below the poverty line, drive old loud cars, sport a feaux-hawk and rarely wear anything beyond a t-shirt.

perhaps it is an attitude thing, i dunno.

Stan Silliman
05-26-2009, 11:48 PM

If you're going to be a snob, here's a tip:
Never look down your nose... at a nudist.

CuatrodeMayo
05-27-2009, 09:17 AM
i've been around edmond/ nw okc for about 18 years. I've never had that experience.

Ps - i'm below the poverty line, drive old loud cars, sport a feaux-hawk and rarely wear anything beyond a t-shirt.

Perhaps it is an attitude thing, i dunno.

x2

FFLady
05-27-2009, 02:37 PM
I hope they put up 6 more stoplights to control traffic around it.

:LolLolLol please be careful WHAT you wish for!! lol

jsibelius
05-27-2009, 06:13 PM
i've been around edmond/ nw okc for about 18 years. i've never had that experience.

ps - i'm below the poverty line, drive old loud cars, sport a feaux-hawk and rarely wear anything beyond a t-shirt.

perhaps it is an attitude thing, i dunno.

x2

x3 (well maybe not the faux-hawk thing)

alan
05-27-2009, 10:14 PM
x3 (well maybe not the faux-hawk thing)

don't be a hater. :LolLolLol

hipsterdoofus
05-28-2009, 09:53 PM

I'm annoyed by the traffic as well, but doubt it is any worse than any other suburb. The problem with Edmond is that there is no major highway to speak of that immediately services the population. With Broadway Extension ending at 33rd and such. It takes as long to get out of town as it does to get from there to downtown OKC...but again, probably not worse than many other places.

alan
05-29-2009, 12:23 PM
I'm annoyed by the traffic as well, but doubt it is any worse than any other suburb. The problem with Edmond is that there is no major highway to speak of that immediately services the population. With Broadway Extension ending at 33rd and such. It takes as long to get out of town as it does to get from there to downtown OKC...but again, probably not worse than many other places.

a big problem is that nearly every main road in Edmond has construction on it somewhere.

jsibelius
05-30-2009, 11:18 AM
don't be a hater. :LolLolLol

For you, not for me. http://www.cruiselinefans.com/images/smilies/heh.gif

kevinpate
05-30-2009, 06:48 PM
> a big problem is that nearly every main road in
> [insert city of choice here] has construction on it somewhere.

Eddie's mound may have lots of construction, but that seems to be a rather common affliction for any town in excess of 30,000, and quite a few below that threshold as well.
Of course, if we weren't always working on roads, i shudder to think what the state unemployment numbers ioght become

hipsterdoofus
05-30-2009, 08:59 PM
a big problem is that nearly every main road in Edmond has construction on it somewhere.

Not sure what you are talking about? Most of the construction near in Edmond is in OKC, not Edmond. Besides that, basically everyone does large amounts of road work over the summer ...

Soonerinfiniti
06-23-2009, 08:49 AM
I hate to keep on the topic, but the construction at Sooner and Covell is for a business park development - not a retail strip mall. I read the sign.....

jeffkchuckk
06-28-2009, 07:38 AM
Try working retail in Edmond if you want to know the true Edmond snob experiance.

hipsterdoofus
06-28-2009, 03:03 PM
Try working retail in Edmond if you want to know the true Edmond snob experiance.

Again...I'm sure there are no snobs anywhere else...:doh:

Midtowner
06-28-2009, 06:21 PM
i think i'd rather enjoy visiting a business built in the top of trees in swiss-family-robison style....

If the Ewoks could do it...

Midtowner
06-28-2009, 06:32 PM

Did that.. never experienced an Edmond snob.

lbj1117
01-11-2010, 11:27 AM
The problem with Edmond is the traffic....all of you can deny traffic is bad if you want. The engineers should consult similar cities and then make the sequencing decisions. I have never seen a place with traffic lights so ridiculous. My father retired from being a traffic engineer so I know that they can change it if they want to. The lights on broadway are way too long...I bet the businesses lobby for longer lights so you will spend more time in traffic just looking at their stores. I stay as much to the outside of edmond as I can or avoid "bad" intersections as much as possible

stlokc
01-30-2010, 08:17 PM
Oh please... You guys are not very well traveled if Edmond, OK is your idea of a snobby town. Any place that so enthusiastically supports Wal-Mart, chain restaurants, and mega-churches does not rate high on the "snob-o-meter."
Come to the near-Western suburbs of St. Louis sometime and bear witness to an area larger geographically than Edmond that purposely keeps all it's roads 2 lanes to discourage passers-through. Announce yourself as anything but a Catholic, Jew, or selected Main-Line Protestant and note the reaction. Have the audacity to send your kids to your state's flagship, 4 year public university and be asked (politely, of course) why they "didn't want to go back East." read about the only commercial development allowed in 10 years, a Whole Foods, and how it was fought tooth-and-nail for being "out of character of the community."
Edmond is marginally more affluent than the average for Central Oklahoma. That is all.