View Full Version : Braum's

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27

SOONER8693
01-05-2018, 01:33 PM
Boom! ..... Man you should have dropped the mic after that one. ;)

Not fast food but better burgers too.
You would be hard pressed to find a better burger than Tuckers. Wife and I eat at the Norman location at least once a week.

Roger S
01-05-2018, 01:40 PM
You would be hard pressed to find a better burger than Tuckers. Wife and I eat at the Norman location at least once a week.

Tucker's is second on my list right after Nic's but a Mother Tucker with cheese and jalapenos makes me a happy carnivore.

Rover
01-05-2018, 02:03 PM
Tuckers!!!

Respectfully disagree. I get a variety of flavors and way creamier shakes at Braums. Wouldn't put Braums burgers in their same universe, but Tuckers is burgers, Braums is dairy.

Rover
01-05-2018, 02:06 PM
I have to admit. I have been known to walk into a Tucker JUST to get a malt.

Last 2 times I got a shake at Tuckers (@ The Curve) it was crystaline and not creamy. Never have that problem at Braums.

Roger S
01-05-2018, 02:13 PM
Last 2 times I got a shake at Tuckers (@ The Curve) it was crystaline and not creamy. Never have that problem at Braums.

I've never had that problem at the 23rd street Tuckers.

Rover
01-05-2018, 02:15 PM
I'll try it down there. Their burgers are better there than at The Curve too. But super thick Chocolate Almond shake is my go to... still going to Braums for that. :)

Roger S
01-05-2018, 02:19 PM
I'll try it down there. Their burgers are better there than at The Curve too. But super thick Chocolate Almond shake is my go to... still going to Braums for that. :)

I'll give Braum's that. They have more flavor options. Tucker's is vanilla, chocolate, strawberry, flavor of the month.

sooner88
01-05-2018, 02:55 PM
Tucker's replaced Braum's as our go-to for shakes/malts a long time ago. So much better, and we've definitely gone in just for the dessert.

SoonerDave
01-06-2018, 04:51 AM
So we are all in agreement then? Braums is officially dead to us.

More or less been dead to us for a while. Won't say we never go there, but it's the clear exception to the rule. Kinda the Wal Mart for dairy/fast food living on reputation.

stile99
01-06-2018, 06:53 AM
Actually, I have to say I had a very pleasant experience at Braum's yesterday. Decided I was thirsty, thought a cherry limeade sounded good. Pulled into Braum's and since they've chased so many customers away there was no line in the drive thru. Was able to get my drink and get on my way, no muss no fuss.

Kudos, Braum's. You finally fixed the problem with the huge waits in the drive thru. Kinda like fixing a hangnail by shooting your foot off, but hey, it worked, right?

Pete
02-21-2018, 07:30 AM
Braum's planning new store in Casady Square (http://www.okctalk.com/content.php?r=471-Braum-s-planning-new-store-in-Casady-Square)

Braum's Ice Cream and Dairy has filed planning documents with The Village to demolish a retail building and construct a new store.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/braumsvillage5.jpg

The new Braum's would be on the east side of Pennsylvania just south of Britton road. An existing retail strip center would be razed which is currently adjacent to a Walmart Neighborhood Market.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/braumsvillage1.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/braumsvillage.jpg

The submission comes just months after the Oklahoma City-based company abandoned plans to demolish the historic Donnay Building in the area commonly known as Classen Circle. The company scuttled plans for a new store on that site after a large public outcry and then a new buyer – who plans to renovate and preserve the Donnay – stepped in.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/braumsvillage4.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/braumsvillage3.jpg

Joe Kimball
02-21-2018, 07:49 AM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/braumsvillage3.jpg[/center]

The man-for-scale is demonstrating a usual posture for a few employees I've seen over there.

Pete
02-21-2018, 09:05 AM
Also, it shows how incredibly massive that sign is.

Good grief, it's like 3 billboards stacked on top of each other.

Martin
02-21-2018, 09:21 AM
http://www.okctalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14487&d=1519230082

zefferoni
02-21-2018, 09:24 AM
Aw, China City was my favorite Chinese take-out place when I lived up there.

Joe Kimball
02-21-2018, 09:34 AM
About the height of a utility pole. Can't tell if that would be out of scale or not.

Regardless, it looks to be a much better fit. I'm willing to stand corrected if there is some significance to the strip building that will be sacrificed, but they seem to have found a potentially captive audience they were looking for in Casady School.

Slimjim
02-21-2018, 09:42 AM
Braums cant even fix their current problems and drew wants to put up more stores can honestly say I wouldn’t bother me a bit if they went out of business

Pete
02-21-2018, 09:44 AM
I get frustrated with their operation but love their products and go to the one near 39th and Penn quite often.

But every time I see them with plans to build something new, it burns even more that that location is so poorly kept and in desperate need of renovation. The one at 17th & Classen is worse yet.

Rover
02-21-2018, 10:01 AM
That particular strip hasn't been good for some time. Braums is an improvement here and will bring light and activity to that particular area in the evening. As for the sign, it seems too high for a neighborhood (as opposed to needing to be seen by a highway). OKC needs to pass new sign ordinances.

Joe Kimball
02-21-2018, 10:04 AM
It's The Village, which may or may not be advantageous. Something tells me to expect they'd want a smaller sign, but I don't know how it works over there.

sgt. pepper
02-21-2018, 10:11 AM
Now that I live in Piedmont.....PIEDMONT AREA NEEDS A BRAUMS!!!!!...please build one. I keep hearing a Braums will be built near the corner on Piedmont Rd and the Express Way, but have never seen it.

sooner88
02-21-2018, 10:28 AM
The ice cream on the sign looks.... interesting.

Brett
02-21-2018, 10:34 AM
I support this new development for Braum's and for the Village. This will make a straight shot for me when grocery shopping on Pennsylvania when WinCo eventually opens along with Aldi.

turnpup
02-21-2018, 11:09 AM
Not a fan of Braum's, but I'm sure it'll kill it in that area. Little Caesar's knew what they were doing locating right in front of the school.

Johnb911
02-21-2018, 11:23 AM
I can't find the minutes, but I seem to remember the Village setting some new ordinances around sign height in the city. I want to say 20' was the max without an exception. Backing up to the neighborhood, I would guess that sign gets knocked down in height. The Casady Square sign and Church's Chicken across the street aren't nearly that tall.

As for the proposal to tear down this strip, it doesn't bother me. Blockbuster isn't coming back. Though I would like to see less dedicated parking. There's plenty of parking around there already. I didn't make it to the meeting the other night when they had public discussion on the plan, so I don't know what the reaction was or if anything was decided.

swilki
02-21-2018, 01:54 PM
Sorry for the duplicate post, but it makes sense to post this here as well.

I haven’t posted here often since I was elected to the city council in The Village. But I thought in this case I’d share my thoughts which I’ve also posted on my Facebook account.
Monday evening we discussed to new developments. A new office building on Hefner and the second development was the new Braum’s in Casady Square. After seeing the initial plans months ago, I had some concerns regarding certain aspects of the proposal. My concerns related mainly to traffic safety issues along Penn, Braum’s signage, and how this development could set the tone for improved walkability in The Village. The options I presented would have created a more walkable area along Penn and brought their signage slightly more in line with the codes that were recently passed at the suggestion of the Village Vision task force.

Regrettably, each time I offered a suggestion, I was met with a firm no from the company. Therefore, I voted no on this proposal, knowing that my fellow council members would be voting yes and the development would pass. Don’t get me wrong, I am excited about Braum’s building here and will be a repeat customer! However, I feel strongly that the codes and suggestions developed by the Village Vision and my other council members should at least try to be followed.

In the end, I know that Braums will be a great community partner and will be a welcome addition to The Village.

Joe Kimball
02-21-2018, 04:10 PM
Regrettably, each time I offered a suggestion [with regard to walkability and signage], I was met with a firm no from the company.... In the end, I know that Braums will be a great community partner and will be a welcome addition to The Village.

I'm so glad to see a knowledgeable source on this topic, and i thank you for your input. I must say, as well, that that's a very generous attitude to have as to their presence, when they are outright refusing to consider a change in plans. They just may pay for the privilege in other ways, though!

timothy.a.owen
02-21-2018, 04:22 PM
Now that I live in Piedmont.....PIEDMONT AREA NEEDS A BRAUMS!!!!!...please build one. I keep hearing a Braums will be built near the corner on Piedmont Rd and the Express Way, but have never seen it.

Careful what you wish for... they'll have to tear something down in order to build their store! :) /sarcasm

swilki
02-21-2018, 04:45 PM
Don’t get me wrong, I’m thrilled they are opening here. They’ll bring much needed tax dollars in and that’ll keep us progressing forward. I regret them not wanting to do a few things, but overall it’s a much needed improvement over what was there. And I’m hopeful they’ll join the list of other businesses here who are always willing to step up and help the city (Uptown, Dunkin Donuts and Walmart to name a few).

OKCisOK4me
02-21-2018, 04:58 PM
I live 1/4 mile SW of Penn & Britton in The Village and I am highly disappointed in this news. Either direction, 1.5 miles--north or south--there is a Braums. But they have to choose this ONE location and take away a good Chinese food joint, China City. I'm in dismay. Why can Braums not figure out how to build a new store in the innards of this city on land that is readily available as we all know? I guess Sonic has 'em by the balls...

OKCretro
02-21-2018, 06:43 PM
they are tearing down a building that once housed a blockbuster video! lets protest and demand they keep the building the way it is even though braums will bring much needed tax dollars to the village?

when did they close the braums that was by johnies? i think it was where the cigar store is now

stile99
02-22-2018, 05:57 AM
I don't think you'll get anyone to join your preserve the ex-Blockbuster crusade. The minor protest I've seen has been because apparently there's a popular Chinese food place there, and I really doubt we'll see protesters fill the streets. While I agree it would suck if my favorite Chinese place closed, I have two immediate backups, and several other perfectly good choices in the area. The other objection is apparently they want a skyscraper sign and the people in the area do not. As per usual with Braum's, the response has been "shove it where the sun don't shine", but again, don't look for a mob in the streets over it.

Johnb911
02-22-2018, 08:01 AM
Don’t get me wrong, I’m thrilled they are opening here. They’ll bring much needed tax dollars in and that’ll keep us progressing forward. I regret them not wanting to do a few things, but overall it’s a much needed improvement over what was there. And I’m hopeful they’ll join the list of other businesses here who are always willing to step up and help the city (Uptown, Dunkin Donuts and Walmart to name a few).

Thanks for posting Sonny, I appreciate how transparent you've been with everything going on in the village over the last few months. Very disappointed to hear how Braum's responded (or didn't respond) to adhering to our guidelines. Also, the office on Hefner got approved? Surprising, considering I thought the recommendation from the zoning committee was not to re-zone.

RadicalModerate
02-22-2018, 08:06 AM
As a long time resident of The City of The Village, I find all this very interesting. We shop the Braum's location on North May (mostly for milk and simple grocery items) and it will be nice to have a location just down the street. I must say, though, that the proposed signage is WAY out of proportion . . .

Pete
02-22-2018, 08:20 AM
Perhaps the Chinese restaurant will relocate somewhere else in Casady Square.

I wouldn't assume they are going out of business because this building is being demolished.

RadicalModerate
02-22-2018, 08:21 AM
I live 1/4 mile SW of Penn & Britton in The Village and I am highly disappointed in this news. Either direction, 1.5 miles--north or south--there is a Braums. But they have to choose this ONE location and take away a good Chinese food joint, China City. I'm in dismay. Why can Braums not figure out how to build a new store in the innards of this city on land that is readily available as we all know? I guess Sonic has 'em by the balls...

Maybe the Chinese place could move into the current location of Church's Chicken? I don't know anyone who frequents Church's Chicken. That, or the haunted location between Johnnie's Charcoal Broiler and ZT's Cigar Shop (the one that has changed hands about a dozen times in the last ten years and the place that I kept suggesting to Sean Cummings would be a great location for the reopening of his famous and wonderful Irish pub.)

Joe Kimball
02-22-2018, 08:39 AM
Please refresh my memory on the Chinese restaurant: is this the one that features (or featured; been a while for me) a creek that runs through the restaurant, filled with koi, that you cross with a simple arch bridge?

Jeepnokc
02-22-2018, 09:04 AM
Perhaps the Chinese restaurant will relocate somewhere else in Casady Square.

I wouldn't assume they are going out of business because this building is being demolished.

Good point. If they still had a lease, the landlord may be paying for them to relocate so they could make the deal with Braum's work.

shawnw
02-22-2018, 09:27 AM
OKC will be jealous of the Village. We could have had that sign at Classen Circle!!!

barrettd
02-22-2018, 09:35 AM
OKC will be jealous of the Village. We could have had that sign at Classen Circle!!!

In light of what I'm hearing about the negotiation with The Village, I'm shocked they pulled out of Classen instead of bullying their way through.

barrettd
02-22-2018, 09:40 AM
As a long time resident of The City of The Village, I find all this very interesting. We shop the Braum's location on North May (mostly for milk and simple grocery items) and it will be nice to have a location just down the street. I must say, though, that the proposed signage is WAY out of proportion . . .

It will also help keep tax dollars in our city (The Village) instead of folks going north to the one on May. I think, overall, this is a win for The Village. That shopping center needed an update, and it also means businesses want to be in our city. I'm not a big fan of the huge sign, but, compared to a lot of the stuff on Britton east of Penn, it's not so bad.

RadicalModerate
02-22-2018, 10:00 AM
(quietly LOL-ing) "Braum's!!! Immediately North of The Gateway to Nichols Hills!!!! Where all the Homes are Historic, All the Codes are Enforced, And All of the Speed Limits are 25 mph or less. =~)

RadicalModerate
02-22-2018, 10:04 AM
It will also help keep tax dollars in our city (The Village) instead of folks going north to the one on May. I think, overall, this is a win for The Village. That shopping center needed an update, and it also means businesses want to be in our city. I'm not a big fan of the huge sign, but, compared to a lot of the stuff on Britton east of Penn, it's not so bad.

Very True. As they say in Minnesota . . . "Well, then . . . That's very different. It coulda been worse, doncha know." =~) (p.s. I love The Village. mostly.)

RadicalModerate
02-22-2018, 10:39 AM
Please refresh my memory on the Chinese restaurant: is this the one that features (or featured; been a while for me) a creek that runs through the restaurant, filled with koi, that you cross with a simple arch bridge?

I'm almost positive that I'm wrong about this . . . Yet, perhaps the wonderful dining establishment to which you might be referring could have been that elegant Chinese Restaurant that used to be where the suburban branch location of 1492 is now? Remember? The Chinese Restaurant that moved to North May and then went away? =~)

Johnb911
02-22-2018, 12:11 PM
The Chinese restaurant is just a standard takeout place. I know some folks that like it, but personally I've always thought China River on May next to Little Ceasars is better.

I was surprised that Braum's wanted to put a location there since there's already one a mile and a half north and another 2 miles south on May. I suppose it's to get all those Nichols Hills ice cream dollars. It doesn't bother me at all that they want to tear down the strip center. I guess my beef is that they're adding more parking to a building going into the middle of a parking lot. Not that I have any ideas on how to make it better.

RadicalModerate
02-22-2018, 02:37 PM
The Chinese restaurant is just a standard takeout place. I know some folks that like it, but personally I've always thought China River on May next to Little Ceasars is better.

I was surprised that Braum's wanted to put a location there since there's already one a mile and a half north and another 2 miles south on May. I suppose it's to get all those Nichols Hills ice cream dollars. It doesn't bother me at all that they want to tear down the strip center. I guess my beef is that they're adding more parking to a building going into the middle of a parking lot. Not that I have any ideas on how to make it better.

Is there a reason why you, Sir, are apparently overlooking and seemingly unconcerned with the loss of the Nail Salon and the Insurance Agency, not to mention other storefronts, up for lease, in addition to The (allegedly) Best Chinese Restaurant in The Village (not counting the Historical Location of the Last Blockbuster Video Store North of Nichols Hills? Is there, perhaps, not a conflict or interest, Sir? JUST KIDDING!!! [Watched "Lincoln" on Netflix last night and Paid a visit to the Walmart Neighborhood Market Today. Fer some fixin's fer dinner. The Giant Sign will be a big improvement. East of Pennsylvania Avenue. Like, in Monopoly. And "Common Sense." =~)] p.s. once, on a flight to Reno or Las Vegas or Tucson, I sat right next to a regional manager for Blockbuster. it was, like, a brush with Greatness. Suffice it to say: The landing was OK. =~) Word on the street has it that this sort of thing is called Noblesse Oblige (or something like it)

swilki
02-22-2018, 03:33 PM
Thanks for posting Sonny, I appreciate how transparent you've been with everything going on in the village over the last few months. Very disappointed to hear how Braum's responded (or didn't respond) to adhering to our guidelines. Also, the office on Hefner got approved? Surprising, considering I thought the recommendation from the zoning committee was not to re-zone.

Thanks John! The past few months have been interesting on multiple fronts and getting the facts out is important. Excited to keep things moving forward and watching the last few years of planning to start really paying off!

Not sure where the Chinese restaurant is relocating, but I know some of the other businesses are just moving to the other side.

OKCisOK4me
02-22-2018, 06:42 PM
I actually called China City and the guy had no clue what they were gonna do. He seemed very sad to say the least.

Joe Kimball
02-22-2018, 06:46 PM
I actually called China City and the guy had no clue what they were gonna do. He seemed very sad to say the least.

I really hate to hear that. There isn't space in the plaza he could move into?

Urbanized
02-23-2018, 07:47 AM
That particular strip hasn't been good for some time. Braums is an improvement here and will bring light and activity to that particular area in the evening. As for the sign, it seems too high for a neighborhood (as opposed to needing to be seen by a highway). OKC needs to pass new sign ordinances.
True story: maybe 20 years ago the OKC Planning Dept tried to update the sign ordinance, modeling changes in scale and materials on Edmond’s existing ordinance. Elimination of pole signs in favor of solid bases, lowering height and square footage, and general improvements that would have greatly improved visual aesthetics in OKC. It was only for new signage permits, so older signs would be grandfathered and nobody would have to replace existing, so no hardship would be placed on existing businesses. It was comprehensive and very well thought out.

There was a huge protest mounted by sign companies that got the thing killed. Besides the sign companies there was at least one other company involved in getting the proposal killed. Braum’s showed up at meetings and threw an absolute FIT about it, essentially suggesting it would create extreme hardship for them. The City ended up caving, and here we are.

mkjeeves
02-23-2018, 07:56 AM
Signage restrictions remain an issue in PUDs and SPUDs where the city can bend you over with stringent requirements under the threat of not approving your project. I know from personal experience getting approval for my own property, including details on signs.

Slimjim
04-02-2018, 09:57 AM
I have heard rumors braums is moving back to the 1/3 lb burger

terryinokc
04-02-2018, 01:02 PM
Count me as a casual observer/Braums customer. Haven't eaten anything from there in months.
Went thru the drive thru at the one in Moore Friday....here was my experience. I ordered a combo with biscuits and gravy and hash browns in the drive thru. She asked me if I would rather have a shake as an upgrade. Told her yes...a mint chocolate chip shake. Got my order and went out to the edge of the parking lot to eat. First off.....she did not give me a fork.
She gave me a knife. Walked back in the store and asked for a fork....the clerk working the food ordering area looked like I had asked for a gold coin or something....she had to go search for a fork.
Got back to my car to eat.....the hash browns and gravy were ok....but the biscuit was so touch neither a fork or the knife she gave me would cut it..it was hard as a rock.
Left the biscuit and finished the hash browns and gravy. Went for the shake......it was horrible and unlike any shake I remember from Braums in prior years. It had a nasty taste and consistency to it....almost like it had an oily texture or something. Threw it out after one drink.
Long story short....won't be going back to Braums for a long time.....that was some of the worse food I've ever gotten at a drive through.

SoonerDave
04-02-2018, 03:25 PM
My wife brought home supper from Braums ikn her way home the other night. Aside from getting both burger orders wrong, the fries were cold and unsalted. And we wont even go into the burgers just not being very good - stale/dry buns and barely lukewarm.

They're just not worth the hassle anymore.

Slimjim
04-04-2018, 09:19 AM
There’s a manager named Melina at the 63rd n may store the woman has a serious drinking problem smells like a liquor store on her breath mentioned it to an employee they said upper management knows about it but refuses to do anything well they better do something she leaves to go to the bank or something that involves her leaving the store for the company and hits someone braums is going to be held liable

Plutonic Panda
04-05-2018, 03:56 AM
There’s a manager named Melina at the 63rd n may store the woman has a serious drinking problem smells like a liquor store on her breath mentioned it to an employee they said upper management knows about it but refuses to do anything well they better do something she leaves to go to the bank or something that involves her leaving the store for the company and hits someone braums is going to be held liable
Antonio... TNT, Alpina B7 Moonmission.

TheirTheir
04-05-2018, 07:31 AM
Perhaps their strength in years past is now what is causing a decline in sales, thus resulting in weaker product: not modernizing. I personally like the old fashioned approach, but that could be a minority opinion in 2018. Whatever happens, I hope they keep the pink straws because those are just too cool.

Pete
06-04-2018, 11:27 AM
Braum's just filed a building permit for the SW corner of NW 192nd/Danforth and Western.

scottk
06-04-2018, 06:29 PM
Braum's just filed a building permit for the SW corner of NW 192nd/Danforth and Western.

Isn't there a Sonic already on that corner along with Mini-storage?

Any chance of getting another dining establishment that doesn't end in "aums, onic, ubway, or easers," north of 150th in NWOKC? :(

Jeepnokc
06-06-2018, 05:39 AM
Isn't there a Sonic already on that corner along with Mini-storage?

Any chance of getting another dining establishment that doesn't end in "aums, onic, ubway, or easers," north of 150th in NWOKC? :(

Got them all but "easers". Please enlighten.