View Full Version : Braum's

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

mugofbeer
12-13-2017, 10:51 PM
So, do you all complain about Braums only on here or do you voice your opinions by emailing, calling, hitting their website? Doing that might get you a lot more traction than pissing about it in here.

Roger S
12-14-2017, 05:39 AM
So, do you all complain about Braums only on here or do you voice your opinions by emailing, calling, hitting their website? Doing that might get you a lot more traction than pissing about it in here.

I’ve contacted them before about incorrect orders. It accomplished nothing but being told “That happens sometimes”.

So I took them for their word on it.

barrettd
12-14-2017, 07:12 AM

I don't really care enough about it to make that kind of effort. It's easier just to not buy their food. There are plenty of fast food options out there. I still get their cartons of ice cream, those still seem to be pretty good.

BBatesokc
12-14-2017, 07:13 AM

Anyone who thinks posting concerns on high profile website like OKCTalk, Yelp, Google, etc. doesn't eventually (and often immediately) get the attention of businesses and their administrators is fooling themselves.

More than once I posted complaints and/or complements here or other places and then heard back from the business in short order.

Roger S
12-14-2017, 07:39 AM
Anyone who thinks posting concerns on high profile website like OKCTalk, Yelp, Google, etc. doesn't eventually (and often immediately) get the attention of businesses and their administrators is fooling themselves.

More than once I posted complaints and/or complements here or other places and then heard back from the business in short order.

I've been contacted, in both good and bad ways, through my blog and my FB page by owners of BBQ businesses within minutes of posting content. Which I always found pretty amazing since I'm a guerilla food blogger. So no one ever knew when and where I was going to be eating or posting about it.

To this day only two owners know who I am and one of them knows me from KCBS contests and the other was actually able to figure out who I was because I mentioned I had a similar smoker while waiting for my order.

TheTravellers
12-14-2017, 09:00 AM

I've contacted them a few times about different things, never ever got a reply, which shows me they don't care about my business.

Joe Kimball
12-14-2017, 09:16 AM

I began by emailing my complaints to corporate, where they were either not responded to or acknowledged with a response like, "we're sorry you feel that way, but this is how we will do it". I then saw the Braum's discussion here and posted thusly. A few social media and review postings followed.

catch22
12-14-2017, 10:56 AM
I emailed them about their poor quality of the new shakes and was brushed off with a generic corporate reply.

MagzOK
12-14-2017, 12:03 PM
As long as they continue to sell milk and eggnog, my family is happy with them. We don't ever eat food from there or anything else like that. Well, the occasional cherry limeade.

Celebrator
12-14-2017, 12:13 PM
We stopped buying milk from them when we discovered Marak Family Farm milk. They are a dairy out of Meeker and sell only in the metro area at The Meat House in Edmond and Urban Agrarian down in the Farmers Market District. THAT stuff is SO good. You thought those Christmas cookies and cakes tasted good now. Santa thanks you in advance.

mugofbeer
12-14-2017, 08:03 PM

Cool. I just don't ever read that anyone complains to the company directly. it's very unfortunate that they ignore responses or suggestions.

ctchandler
12-14-2017, 09:30 PM
None. Braum’s operates like In-N-Out and White Castle. They own all their stores.

OKBBQEA,
Things have changed then, in the 70's I was looking into a franchise and one of those available was Braum's. If I remember correctly, the franchise fee was $200,000. Actually, it doesn't surprise me. They have always had control of the beef and dairy products in their stores and they don't expand outside of an area that they can't provide those products to. They are only in about four states.
C. T.

MitchellCole
12-15-2017, 03:34 PM
I had the normal 1/4lb burger combo a couple of days ago. I'm fine with the fries and the shake was acceptable (I'm not a big ice cream/shake person usually), but the burger was AWFUL. Seriously, the absolute worst "restaurant" burger I've ever had. Hardly any flavor and the bun tasted worse than stale great value brand buns. Edmond location on Danforth.

rezman
12-15-2017, 06:34 PM
OKBBQEA,
Things have changed then, in the 70's I was looking into a franchise and one of those available was Braum's. If I remember correctly, the franchise fee was $200,000. Actually, it doesn't surprise me. They have always had control of the beef and dairy products in their stores and they don't expand outside of an area that they can't provide those products to. They are only in about four states.w
C. T.

5 states and almost 300 stores.

ctchandler
12-15-2017, 08:49 PM
Rezman,
Pretty impressive, but they do need to get their act together. The comments I have seen here make me wonder how they survive.
C. T.

rezman
12-16-2017, 08:32 AM
I agree C.T. . One thing I have noticed for sometime, and as others have mentioned, is ithe inconsistency between locations. Some are clean, friendly and of good quality, and others are dirty and run down.

I must say that for the first time in a while we grabbed a quick burger at Edmond Rd & Santa Fe location a couple days ago, and it wasn’t as good as previous visits.

Slimjim
12-17-2017, 02:16 PM
That’s because braums is all about money I was in a store the other day and the district manager was in there and I could hear him going about how their labor was high and to start cutting people off the floor so instead of having people stay and clean their answer is to send them home

baralheia
12-18-2017, 10:38 AM
That’s because braums is all about money I was in a store the other day and the district manager was in there and I could hear him going about how their labor was high and to start cutting people off the floor so instead of having people stay and clean their answer is to send them home

Being overly concerned with labor costs isn't unique to Braum's, however. I worked in that industry for a few years for a different fast food chain, and labor was always an issue - even if there was still stuff that needed to be done. I think the issue with Braum's is likely that they don't allow for enough labor for a given unit of sales, combined with employee morale seemingly pretty meh. I almost never see anyone cleaning tables or tidying up the lobby at the S Shields store in OKC - they're always behind the counter, and usually seem overworked.

trousers
12-18-2017, 03:32 PM
I worked several fast food jobs in college. Labor was the number one concern at almost all of the places.

That S Shields Braums has been bad for years. Compare it (or 16th/Classen, 39th/Penn) to Mustangs, or almost any small town Braums and it’s like they are completely different restaurants when it comes to cleanliness and quality.

traxx
12-19-2017, 09:41 AM
The problem with Braums is systemic. Sure they have different levels of cleanliness and quality, but I've never walked into a Braums and thought, "Oh, this is so clean and well organized with attentive, friendly staff." It comes down to different levels of bad. Not, oh this one is bad but that location is really good.

I complain here but I don't call their corporate or phone them. And that's not my job. You're restaurants are dirty, your employees aren't quick, friendly or attentive, and your product sucks. It's fairly common knowledge and it's been that way for several years. If you want my business, fix your problems. Don't wait on me to call in and inform you that your stores suck. Until then, I will go elsewhere as I have been for some time now.

Ginkasa
12-19-2017, 09:54 AM
The problem with Braums is systemic. Sure they have different levels of cleanliness and quality, but I've never walked into a Braums and thought, "Oh, this is so clean and well organized with attentive, friendly staff." It comes down to different levels of bad. Not, oh this one is bad but that location is really good.

I complain here but I don't call their corporate or phone them. And that's not my job. You're restaurants are dirty, your employees aren't quick, friendly or attentive, and your product sucks. It's fairly common knowledge and it's been that way for several years. If you want my business, fix your problems. Don't wait on me to call in and inform you that your stores suck. Until then, I will go elsewhere as I have been for some time now.

I definitely think in a situation like Braum's where things are at best inconsistent and at worst consistently bad, speaking to management isn't really necessary. It makes sense for a new business or a business that is generally good and there's been a mistake made to give them an opportunity to correct it, but Braum's is not in that situation.

kukblue1
12-19-2017, 12:00 PM
Having very very recently worked there I can tell you that Labor is a issue. However they give way more labor to the Lunch crew then the night crew. Lunch they want you to run with 11-14 people at least at my store. We really only need 9-10. We had people that have worked there for years and knew what they were doing. There was a lot of standing around doing nothing for lunch. Then 2 pm hits and there are 4 sometimes only 3 people working. Grant it not busy in the afternoon but you can't run with 3 people. Drive, counter and grill. So who is making shakes? Who is dipping ice cream? Night crew get like 6-7 people but with people being on break they are running with 5. Grant it Lunch is much busier but lunch is easy combo meals with drinks. Night is more of the ice cream and shakes much are harder to make and to me require a bit more labor.

Slimjim
12-24-2017, 03:32 PM
When I shopped at the store on 62/n may I went after work always used to have quick friendly service despite the low staff count but new managers a staff overhaul and the service is severely lacking these days a facelift isn’t going to change the over all image drew

Scott5114
12-25-2017, 12:45 AM
It almost feels like you guys are going to a completely different restaurant than I do. I go to the East Lindsey Street Braum's and have never had what I would consider an issue there. A couple of times there's been a bit of a wait getting someone to the register, but everyone was obviously busy so I'm not going to fault them for it.

I did have one weird thing once where my wife wanted mayonnaise on a Four Cheese burger and they told me that for whatever reason they couldn't do it. They were apologetic and said it was some rule from corporate. Having dealt with moronic edicts from out-of-town corporate offices myself, I didn't press the issue.

Joe Kimball
12-25-2017, 01:02 AM
Refusing to allow a custom order as slight as adding a swipe of mayonnaise is VERY strange. How recent was this? Probably a week before the infamous shake and burger change, I got a bag of burgers while cruising and had those customized from the standard ketchup and pickle.

Scott5114
12-26-2017, 03:37 AM
Refusing to allow a custom order as slight as adding a swipe of mayonnaise is VERY strange. How recent was this? Probably a week before the infamous shake and burger change, I got a bag of burgers while cruising and had those customized from the standard ketchup and pickle.

It was before the size change. Don't remember exactly beyond that. I should clarify that this was stated as specific to the Four Cheese Burger. I've never had problems with custom orders on any other menu item I've ordered (including, if I remember correctly, another burger on that same order). I considered calling corporate to inquire further, but just applying mayonnaise at home was found to be a quicker and more effective solution.

soonerguru
12-26-2017, 08:15 PM
Size does matter.

traxx
12-27-2017, 10:51 AM
It almost feels like you guys are going to a completely different restaurant than I do. I go to the East Lindsey Street Braum's and have never had what I would consider an issue there. A couple of times there's been a bit of a wait getting someone to the register, but everyone was obviously busy so I'm not going to fault them for it.

I haven't been to that location in several years but the last time I was there I don't remember it being out of the ordinary. I just remember it being like any other Braum's.

I expect to walk up and have to wait for someone to come and take my order at a place like McDonald's or Taco Bell. But at a small, family owned chain like Braum's they should be wowing me with their customer service instead of being just like the big chains.

A couple of summers ago, I took the kids to Great Wolf down in Grapevine. I went to an In N Out down there at lunchtime. This wasn't a new location, it had been there for a while. But it was super busy during lunch. You could hardly find a table to sit at. But when I walked up to the counter, there was someone there ready to take my order. They waited on me instead of me waiting for someone to notice that I was there. They were quick and friendly. I wouldn't say that my order was ready when I was done paying but it didn't take them long to fill my order. Their food isn't so good that it'll make your knees buckle but it's a good, solid burger with fast, friendly service.

And Chick-Fil-A always seems to be looking for ways to improve it's customer service. They are always looking for ways to make it quicker, simpler, and easier for the customer. And they are always very friendly and clean.

I've seen it done correctly. I know it can be done. I just don't understand why Braum's can't get it right. It's not like they're some huge corporation that's spread too thin. It's a family owned business.

acumpton
12-27-2017, 11:48 AM
I think a lot of fast food chains need to look at Chick-Fil-A as an example of how to run a restaurant. They almost always have a line wrapped around the building, but they know how to keep it moving at a pretty steady pace and always do it with a smile.

StuckInTheCapitol825
12-27-2017, 11:50 AM
I just don't understand why Braum's can't get it right.

Because they don't want to.

Celebrator
12-27-2017, 12:41 PM
Wonder if Braum's is keeping Culver's out of this market. I experienced them for the first time last week on a road trip in MO, and thought the food, service, and cleanliness was impressive. My colleague said they are all like this and pride themselves on the customer experience. They are in KS, MO, and TX but have skipped OK so far.

scottk
12-27-2017, 12:52 PM
Agreed! Every Culver's we have visited from Missouri, Texas, Iowa, and Wisconsin has been superb! The efficiency, hospitality, and quality of food is great.

Maybe Culver's succeeds because they don't have an identity crisis in deciding if they want to be a corner grocery store or quick serve restaurant?

whorton
12-28-2017, 01:14 AM
After consistently poorly prepared food from several different locations, I kicked Braums to the curb a bit more than 2 year ago. Chicken sandwiches where the chicken was leathery, fries that were cold, unsalted or both, Hamburgers that tasted as if prepared a year ago. The worst was hair in the gravy. Staff inattention when ordering indoor or via drive through. . .After a while it took its toll and I took my business elsewhere.. .

oklip955
12-28-2017, 06:52 AM
If you are wondering why no Culvers in Oklahoma, I talked to the corp office. They want someone to open a franchise in Oklahoma. They asked if I wanted to. I said I am retired and am not looking to take on such a project. Now if anyone knows anyone who is looking to open a franchise of a resturant, I would suggest you go call them.

BLJR
12-28-2017, 08:13 AM
Don't know what the buy in is on a Culvers, but from what you all are saying, this would be a good opp for someone. The food side of Braums IMO has just become a run of the mill fast food chain. It was medium on my rotation of options, but when they went to the 1/4 pound patties and a shake, it went down to nothing. Last time I was there, I ordered double cheeseburger, sandwich only, and an ice water. Best single change they could make is to offer a choice of a drink or shake.

BLJR
12-28-2017, 08:16 AM
Culvers franchise info:

https://www.culvers.com/franchise/faq

From what you all are saying, this would be a good opp for someone. The food side of Braums IMO has just become a run of the mill fast food chain. It was medium on my rotation of options, but when they went to the 1/4 pound patties and a shake, it went down to nothing. Last time I was there, I ordered double cheeseburger, sandwich only, and an ice water. Best single change they could make is to offer a choice of a drink or shake.

KL_Moore
12-28-2017, 08:32 AM
Braum's does allow you to order a soft drink instead of a shake - but not for any less money.

hoya
12-28-2017, 09:00 AM
I stopped eating at Braums over a year ago. It's just not very good anymore. I went through and got a hamburger and shake probably a month or two ago, just to see. Yuck. It was bad. Things have gotten worse since I stopped eating there. I'll occasionally run in and grab some milk or eggs, as there's one very close to my house and it's convenient. Sometimes I'll grab some ice cream. But I don't eat the food there anymore.

Honestly I don't care if they improve their quality or not. They've already lost my business, and I've realized that I don't miss them.

Bunty
12-28-2017, 12:36 PM
If you are wondering why no Culvers in Oklahoma, I talked to the corp office. They want someone to open a franchise in Oklahoma. They asked if I wanted to. I said I am retired and am not looking to take on such a project. Now if anyone knows anyone who is looking to open a franchise of a resturant, I would suggest you go call them.

Yes, entrepreneurs need to relieve us of all the fast food chicken food places that have been opening to something different.

TheTravellers
12-28-2017, 12:48 PM
Yes, entrepreneurs need to relieve us of all the fast food chicken food places that have been opening to something different.

Culver's isn't all *that* different - just burgers and frozen custard (which is just OK frozen custard). Now if Kopp's would want a franchisee here.....

bombermwc
12-29-2017, 06:55 AM
I was a bit shocked by the 1/4 lb change, but i often found it difficult to finish my 1/3 lb fries and drink. So i can imagine that a lot of the "larger breed" would be annoyed. At 1/4 lb, i can finish it all and dont waste food. BUUUUUT, they didn't lower their price. In fact i think it went up a bit so that's definitely annoying. Sort of like then they reduced the size of the ice cream tubs from 1/2 gallon and kept the price the same there.

I always get a cherry limeade instead of a soda and the kids usually want a shake instead. Same old shake so i'm not sure what the big deal is. The scoop the stuff right out of the same tubs they make it from if you order in the ice cream line.

The Braums i go to doesn't taste any different than it ever has, so maybe you're seeing a franchise issue? Although i really wish they would find some new marketing people. It's still the same style of crap from when i was a kid. Uniform too.

jccouger
12-29-2017, 06:56 AM
The biggest niche Braums fills is the mini grocery store market.

Not a big fan of their pre cooked meals, but having a braums right across the street from me its so easy to grab some fruits/veggies/meat/milk when the time calls for it instead of having to drive to, and then walk around a giant grocery store & stand in massive lines when I just need 2-3 things.

I'm surprised more mini grocery stores don't exist & I've considered opening one. Do you all think it could be profitable as a stand alone venture apart from the pre cooked food?

BBatesokc
12-29-2017, 07:21 AM

Not a big fan of their pre cooked meals, but having a braums right across the street from me its so easy to grab some fruits/veggies/meat/milk when the time calls for it instead of having to drive to, and then walk around a giant grocery store & stand in massive lines when I just need 2-3 things.

I'm surprised more mini grocery stores don't exist & I've considered opening one. Do you all think it could be profitable as a stand alone venture apart from the pre cooked food?

Margins are tiny, overhead is high and spoilage is huge.

u50254082
12-29-2017, 08:20 AM

There was a business out west called Fresh and Easy that would resemble that. The buildings can be as small as a typical Walgreens but have full grocery service.

They went out of business so Brian is correct about the risks of that industry.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fresh_%26_Easy

TheTravellers
12-29-2017, 02:10 PM
I was a bit shocked by the 1/4 lb change, but i often found it difficult to finish my 1/3 lb fries and drink. So i can imagine that a lot of the "larger breed" would be annoyed. At 1/4 lb, i can finish it all and dont waste food. BUUUUUT, they didn't lower their price. In fact i think it went up a bit so that's definitely annoying. Sort of like then they reduced the size of the ice cream tubs from 1/2 gallon and kept the price the same there.

I always get a cherry limeade instead of a soda and the kids usually want a shake instead. Same old shake so i'm not sure what the big deal is. The scoop the stuff right out of the same tubs they make it from if you order in the ice cream line.

The Braums i go to doesn't taste any different than it ever has, so maybe you're seeing a franchise issue? Although i really wish they would find some new marketing people. It's still the same style of crap from when i was a kid. Uniform too.

Pretty sure all Braum's are corporate-owned, not franchises.

catch22
12-29-2017, 02:35 PM
I won't eat their food or shakes anymore, but will admit that their Fresh Market is pretty darn convenient. I can usually grab a few staple items and be in and out within a few minutes. There is one across the street from me. Other than that I am done with Braums.

Joe Kimball
12-29-2017, 09:02 PM

No, it's actually vastly different in that a different milk is used, skim-like in consistency, and syrup is omitted unless you wish to pay a dollar more for a "sundae topping". As far as the burger size, I've no shame in being of a "larger breed", though I'll point out that I'm often matched in appetite by my standardbred brethren. I understand, perhaps even from this thread, that the meat tastes differently as well.

There certainly seem to be a number of people who don't mind or even appreciate the change, but I've no real idea of the ratio of those for and against Braums' changes this year.

stile99
12-30-2017, 05:46 AM
Don't let the attempt to cast shade (make whatever puns/jokes one feels necessary) upon the "larger breed" bother you. The difference is a little more than an ounce. While of course, one is full when one is full, the claim that the difference between a 1/4 pound patty and a 1/3 pound patty is going to lead to a lot of waste is just laughable, especially when one considers this is PRE-COOKED weight.

Uptowner
12-31-2017, 12:45 AM
Don't let the attempt to cast shade (make whatever puns/jokes one feels necessary) upon the "larger breed" bother you. The difference is a little more than an ounce. While of course, one is full when one is full, the claim that the difference between a 1/4 pound patty and a 1/3 pound patty is going to lead to a lot of waste is just laughable, especially when one considers this is PRE-COOKED weight.

You sir, must not be familiar with Jesus. If he were to break a fish into 3 pieces instead of 2 pieces, how are the 500 supposed to get full?

barrettd
01-02-2018, 08:01 AM

I didn't really have much of a problem with them changing the size of the burger, even at the same price. I am sad they changed their shakes, as they were my favorite. I'm done with them, though, after changing their fries to skinny fries. Their fries were what kept me going back, so, I'm done with Braum's as fast food. I still love their ice cream and will continue to buy it.

BBatesokc
01-02-2018, 08:32 AM
I didn't really have much of a problem with them changing the size of the burger, even at the same price. I am sad they changed their shakes, as they were my favorite. I'm done with them, though, after changing their fries to skinny fries. Their fries were what kept me going back, so, I'm done with Braum's as fast food. I still love their ice cream and will continue to buy it.

Yep. they totally ruined dipping fat crinkle cut fries into a homemade chocolate shake! Both are totally screwed up now.

kukblue1
01-04-2018, 05:23 PM
I'm not in love with their new cookies. Too soft and chewy. Can't really dip them in Milk. What will they be changing next. First burger and shakes, then the fries got skinny, now the cookies are different. As far as I'm concerned they could change their bread. I find their hamburger and hot dog buns way too dry.

catch22
01-04-2018, 06:21 PM
I'm not in love with their new cookies. Too soft and chewy. Can't really dip them in Milk. What will they be changing next. First burger and shakes, then the fries got skinny, now the cookies are different. As far as I'm concerned they could change their bread. I find their hamburger and hot dog buns way too dry.

I'm sure they will change the buns to be a little bit more dry, then.

u50254082
01-04-2018, 09:14 PM
So we are all in agreement then? Braums is officially dead to us.

Scott5114
01-05-2018, 03:53 AM
I'll still keep buying my milk there as long as it stays delicious. Hiland tastes like water in comparison.

Rover
01-05-2018, 11:30 AM
Sorry, I still like their ice cream.
Who is making better shakes and malts in OKC? They make mine as thick as I want. And I’ve actually found their new ones to be smoother. If others are doing better, then I’m all for them. No machine mix, please. Hand dipped only

Pete
01-05-2018, 12:04 PM
So we are all in agreement then? Braums is officially dead to us.

I get frustrated with their dated and sometimes dirty stores but I love their products and product mix.

I'm also generally okay with the changes to the burgers, fries and shakes. Had a combo last night and with my $1 coupon (which they put out on a regular basis) I paid $5.50 for all that, which is an amazing bargain.

sixkiller
01-05-2018, 12:21 PM
who is making better shakes and malts in okc?

Tuckers!!!

Roger S
01-05-2018, 12:30 PM
Tuckers!!!

Boom! ..... Man you should have dropped the mic after that one. ;)

Not fast food but better burgers too.

BBatesokc
01-05-2018, 01:29 PM
Tuckers!!!

I have to admit. I have been known to walk into a Tucker JUST to get a malt.