View Full Version : Michael Murphy's Piano Bar

Pages : [1] 2

native
04-11-2009, 03:03 PM
Anyone have any updates? When is the projected opening date?

Watson410
04-11-2009, 06:20 PM
last i heard, it's suppose to open next weekend.. But i heard that a few weeks ago so i'm sure it's been pushed back.

native
04-14-2009, 02:18 PM
Thanks. Looking forward to their opening. All I can find online are job postings for a pianist or two. Building looks ready, where's the talent?

OKCMallen
04-20-2009, 07:40 AM
It opened this weekend. I went Saturday night. They've done atop-to-bottom renovation of that space (thank goodness) and it looks really good. It's weird though- you can't enter from the street, you have to go around inside the building to get in (like going to Maker's). It was a $7 cover, which I felt was reasonable, and the drinks were average priced once inside. It was a full crowd, and people seemed to be having fun. People were tentative to get into it at first, but that's par for the course in OKC. The piano players were experienced and enjoyable...mildly dirty like they're supposed to be.

I'll be back...it's probably not an "every weekend" place, but it's a great addition to Bricktown.

kevinpate
04-20-2009, 07:48 AM
Sounds rather enjoyable. Thanks for the update.

Theo Walcott
04-20-2009, 08:49 AM
I too was there on Saturday. In my opinion, this is one of the best bars I've ever been to. It's like going to a comedy show/show taping all in one. The piano players are VERY talented and hilarious.

You can't go wrong by going to this place and it's highly recommended.

the_Mont
04-20-2009, 11:26 AM
I'm thinking about going this Saturday with my fiancee and our friends. Is the cover the same every night? Also, what about the dress code?

JimmyC
04-20-2009, 12:45 PM
Hey folks - Jimmy C here. My piano partner (Papi) and I are the entertainment directors at Michael Murphys. First let me say thanks for the kind words and for coming out. We are/will continue to work the bugs out but all in all I felt the opening was a success. We are going to have different players coming in each month, with myself and Papi there 2-3 weeks each month.

It definitely is a PG13 - R adult-humor - show but we are insisting with all players that is as bad as it gets.

I have played all over the US, most recently at Howl at the Moon in Kansas City and Norwegian cruise lines. I live in Colorado and travel each week. The folks I met this weekend in OKC were awesome, very friendly and looking to have a good time. It makes the commute worth it when you have an audience that wants to participate and be part ot the show. Also, we have the best manager I have every worked with ,Valentino. He is always in the club, checking on customers and making sure folks are having a good time. He is one of the reasons I decided to take this opportunity. Wait and bar staff are excellent as well.

FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT HAVE NOT BEEN TO A DUELING PIANO BAR: Please sit as close to the front as you can, get involved in the show by requesting songs, getting into the drink contests, etc.

AND...bring out your friends that are celebrating something (birthday, divorce, surgical enhancement, whatever) and we will take special care of them!

Hope to see some of you at the club this weekend and upcoming weeks. PLEASE come by and introduce yourself if you do. I am the cute bald one. =)

Peace - Jimmy C

PS - If you have any questions/comment aboutthe club/show, I will be happy to answer what I can. :yourock:

JimmyC
04-20-2009, 12:48 PM
Mont - let me know when you are coming, how many people and if there is a special occassion and we will take care of you. Dress code ranges from jeans and a "non-sloganed" shirt to corp casual.

Jimmy

OKCMallen
04-20-2009, 01:37 PM
Just FYI- I didn't have any problems on Saturday with nice jeans, flip flops, and a polo.

I heard on another board they paid a $9 cover to get in at some point Saturday, so it might go up later in the evening?

the_Mont
04-20-2009, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the info JimmyC. I'll definitely find out the particulars and let you know. Can't wait to check it out! Also, is it a smoking facility?

OKCMallen
04-20-2009, 02:25 PM
Nonsmoking.

native
04-20-2009, 03:53 PM
I'm so glad it is Non-smoking. I can't wait to go.

kevinpate
04-21-2009, 04:23 AM
> Nonsmoking.

even better. Now the missus can come along as well.

BMG
04-21-2009, 10:00 AM
Where is the bar located? I cant seem to find a website = (

OKCMallen
04-21-2009, 11:25 AM
It is catty-corner from Bourbon St on street level. Or to the east of Chelinos. You can't miss it; they installed a great outdoor neon sign. Where Da Boat/Al Eschback's used to be.

JimmyC
04-21-2009, 03:31 PM
Michael Murphy's Dueling Piano Bar
25 S. Oklahoma Ste#100
Oklahoma City, OK 73104

papi
04-22-2009, 12:01 AM
Hey everyone!!

Big Papi here. Jimmy C and I will be playing together this week Thurs, Fri, and Sat at Michael Murphys in Oklahoma City. We are your Entertainment Directors there as Jimmy C explained and are excited to show you OUR show this week.

Jimmy C and I have been playing for 5 years together all over the country, and playing in Bricktown this week is a homecoming of sorts for me as I was born in Oklahoma City and raised in El Reno. My family built cattlefeeders and fiberglass tanks that were headquartered in OK. So I am really excited to be making my way back here after many many many years away!

Please come down and see what the fuss is all about for yourself. I promise you will not see another show like it. Last week was a good starter, and if you liked that..you will love what you see this week!!

So come on down, Jimmy C and I are looking forward to meeting you all!

Papi Sorrelis
Entertainment Director
Michael Murphys Dueling Piano Bar

BMG
04-22-2009, 02:26 PM
What is the best time to arrive to ensure a great seat? Im trying to get a bunch of us together for saturday night. If everything goes as planned there should be 10 of us.

OKCMallen
04-22-2009, 03:02 PM
Doors at 7, pianos at 8. We got good seating at a little after 8, but if you want to be SURE, I'd get there earlier.

BMG
04-22-2009, 03:42 PM
Sweet. Ill be there at 7

the_Mont
04-23-2009, 07:53 AM
Any idea of what the cover will be on Saturday night?

OKCMallen
04-23-2009, 07:55 AM
I paid $7 last Saturday at about 815pm.

the_Mont
04-23-2009, 08:36 AM
I paid $7 last Saturday at about 815pm.

Sweet, thanks Mallen. How are the drink prices? Is it like Maker's where you have to pay their liquor tax?

OKCMallen
04-23-2009, 08:45 AM
I'm not sure about that, but I remember thinking the prices for just plain ol' beer were very reasonable.

the_Mont
04-23-2009, 09:12 AM
I'm not sure about that, but I remember thinking the prices for just plain ol' beer were very reasonable.

Thanks Mallen.

jbrown84
04-23-2009, 12:03 PM
I'm looking forward to trying it out. Especially since it's smoke-free!

SunshineOKC
04-24-2009, 09:59 AM
So is Michael Murphy's open every night with entertainment or just a Thur-Sat thing?

the_Mont
04-24-2009, 11:16 AM
Hey Papi and JimmyC, how casual is the dress code? I know Mallen said he got in wearing flip-flops, jeans and a polo. Is that normal attire?

BMG
04-24-2009, 07:45 PM
Yeah Im concerned with this. I am not a polo and slacks kind of guy. Jeans and a tshirt for me. Please let us know about the dress code.

Steve
04-24-2009, 09:27 PM
I spoke to the owner. It's casual as you want. Quote: ball caps welcome.

the_Mont
04-27-2009, 09:03 AM
Had an awesome time on Saturday night. Papi, I don't know how you maintain that energy all night...

bones1103
04-27-2009, 09:19 AM
I was not that impressed with this piano bar compared to the others I have been to, (mainly pete's in ft worth and austin). The service was not very good and it seemed reserved because they were broadcasting on speakers outside. Maybe they were just working out the kinks but I will stay over at Maker's until they get it worked out.

Luke
04-27-2009, 09:24 AM
Had an awesome time on Saturday night. Papi, I don't know how you maintain that energy all night...

That's what she said.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Steve
04-27-2009, 10:23 AM
Hey Luke, that's an old Molly Murphy's line (though I doubt they created it).

Luke
04-27-2009, 10:32 AM
Hey Luke, that's an old Molly Murphy's line (though I doubt they created it).

I saw it from Micheal Scott in "The Office." I guess it's an oldie but a goodie. ;)

jbrown84
04-28-2009, 04:55 PM
That's what she said.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

:LolLolLol:congrats:

warreng88
04-29-2009, 08:00 AM
Dueling pianos haven’t been heard in Bricktown since its earliest days as an entertainment district, but they’re back with the opening of Michael Murphy’s Dueling Pianos along the Bricktown Canal.

Operator Bobby Dennis, a veteran Bricktown club owner, said plans to open the venue, in the same Oklahoma Hardware Building that is home to Maker’s Cigar Lounge, started a year ago.

Originally, Dennis hoped to have the club open by last Thanksgiving.

"We changed gears,” Dennis said. "We had a different mindset on how much we wanted to spend, its longevity, and we spent a little more. It’s nicer, it’s more upscale, but we want to cater to everybody.”

The space, which was home to two different failed restaurants, was gutted. Restrooms were added and raised stages were built for the piano players and the bar.

The club is lined with windows looking out onto the canal and Oklahoma Avenue.

"The windows are our friend,” Dennis said. "We wanted people to see in. People are coming to be entertained — so they don’t care if it’s packed or there are only two customers in here at 7 p.m.”

Dennis has three performers currently, with a fourth to be announced soon.

The lead performer, Papi Sorrellis, hails from Kansas City. He’s joined by Jimmy Clark and "Jimmy C.”

"Papi is hilarious,” Dennis said. "He’s loud; he’s just what a piano bar needs. The show these three guys bring is incredible.”

Dennis said the demographic for the piano lounge is 25 and up — and unlike other clubs, it has voluntarily instituted its own no smoking rule.

"Smokers have gotten trained these days,” Dennis said. "They’re in the minority these days, and they know to go outside. I don’t think we’ve lost a lot of customers and we’ve gained 10 times as many due to this. I’ve talked to people and the no smoking rule is a huge hit.”

Bricktown Association director Jim Cowan said the club is a welcome addition to the district’s entertainment mix.

"I know that in the early days with O’Brien’s, this sort of thing was very popular and I still hear from people from time to time who ask if there is still one in the district,” Cowan said. "So there’s definitely a need.”

Cowan also likes the location.

"We love that it’s on the canal and not clustered with a bunch of clubs open all at the same time,” Cowan said.

"And it’s not just geared toward the young demographic, but toward those in their 30s on up.”

http://www.newsok.com/bricktown-piano-club-finds-its-niche-in-district/article/3365224?custom_click=lead_story_title

girlygirl1980
05-01-2009, 09:45 AM
My sister's 30th birthday is coming up, and we're wanting to try you guys out! Are you open yet? I can't find a phone number or any information to get ahold of the place - thanks!

papi
05-02-2009, 12:13 PM
Hey guys,

Papi here. First of all. I wanna thank everyone that has been coming out to the show. Wanted to address a couple of things.

#1 - DRESS CODE: We have a nice place at Michael Murphys and all is welcome. Our crowd is as diverse as our dress code. We have young flip-floppin, short wearin, dudes, as well as dressed to the nine ladies.

#2 - THE CROWD: Again our crowds range from College to 40 somethings, with everyone side by side having a good time and singing to the top. Its kind of hilarious how each demographic reacts and enjoys each others music that we play.

#3 - PARTIES: If you are looking to have your party booked please call me at 719.201.4424 or email me at papisorrelis@gmail.com . We have tons of great party packages and are getting ready to execute that side of our bar in the coming weeks.

#4- COMPLAINTS or PRAISE: Any and all complaints or compliments about the SHOW specifically can be emailed to me at the same address papisorrelis@gmail.com . I have already received many great compliments and well wishes for Jimmy C and I, and look forward to hearing how we can continue to WOW you guys in the future with your suggestions!

#5 - THE TEAM: Jimmy C and I have been asked why we are not there every week. When we made the agreement with Bobby Dennis and his team, we instructed them that we wanted to honor our remaining national gigs. Thats why I am typing this from the beautiful state of Kentucky where we are playing for the Kentucky Derby. JIMMY C and I WILL be your HOME TEAM as we bring in different pros that we have worked with from around the country to keep the show fresh. We are looking to sing a permanent third player from Chicago who we want REALLY bad and believe SHE will be a solid addition to our team. We will always have traveling players though.

#6 - HOW DO I KEEP MY ENERGY UP? - I guess I gotta lot of guess in my gas tank (belly). Jimmy C and I will always pump out 110% for you guys...believe that!

#7 - TO THE PERSON WHO HAD A BAD TIME? - Please contact me at any of the numbers I gave and let me know what happened so we can better serve you. Sorry to hear you had a bad time, that is a rarity from what my emails and talks have shown. So let me reach out to ya with a free round on me and have a mulligan...what do ya say?

#8 - HOURS and DAYS - We are open Thursday - Sat. Show starts at 8:30 every night, and doors open 1 hour prior to show. However, the club may be booked for private parties, events, receptions, etc etc and day of the week. If you have the PARTY...we have the ROOM!

Cant think of anything else, but please SPREAD THE WORD, bring your friends and family out and have a smashing good time! Michael Murphys is constantly improving itself and making additions to an already great concept and we look forward to showing off those changes on a weekly basis.

THANK YOU ALL!

okiefriend118
05-21-2009, 10:58 AM
It's a shame the owners of this establishment used, abused and completely disrespected the extremely talented individual who originally introduced dueling pianos to Oklahoma City. Here's hoping Karma rears it's ugly head and soon.

OKCMallen
05-21-2009, 01:35 PM
It's a shame the owners of this establishment used, abused and completely disrespected the extremely talented individual who originally introduced dueling pianos to Oklahoma City. Here's hoping Karma rears it's ugly head and soon.

Link, explanation, or it didn't happen. Also, that's a heck of a first post... :beaten_fi

the_Mont
05-21-2009, 02:59 PM
Yeah, what's going on here?

kevinpate
05-21-2009, 07:08 PM
I've heard of tickling the ivories before, but that seemed a bit more like whizzing on them

JohnKenerson
05-22-2009, 09:55 AM
yeah, i'm curious about that post as well.

Steve
05-22-2009, 05:02 PM

Say what????
Gotta love irrational and confusing attacks from anonymous brand new posters.

Papi, had fun meeting you last night. You might be somewhat of a sociopath, but you're a friendly and entertaining sociopath, so that's good.
:yourock:

FritterGirl
05-22-2009, 09:24 PM
Had dinner with my folks at Mickey Mantles tonight. My parents (mom in her 70's and dad in his 80s) were planning on dropping by for awhile aterwards. I'll give their review tomorrow, although I'm hoping they didn't think this was your standard piano bar. I did try to warn them as I still recall with great fondness the many evenings I spent at "Howl at the Moon" when I lived in another state.

A point of note. When I made it back to my car, I got into a conversation with the parking attendant / lot owner. He didn't know you all had opened yet. As many of these guys are the front line to our Bricktown guests and often serve as a primary information source of "where to go, what to do," it might not be a bad idea to somehow contact them through the Bricktown Association or other means so they are in the know about who you are and what you offer folks.

In fact, it might not be a bad idea for the Bricktown Association to put out a weekly bulletin on Bricktown-related events and disseminate it to the parking attendants, perhaps not all the time, but certainly on big weekends like this one. That way the attendants can spread the word.

papi
06-08-2009, 06:25 AM
As Jimmy C and I get acclamated to things "OKC" we have been fascinated by the interesting history that apparently proceeded us here.

All I can say is, we hope you enjoy the show and see us simply as new entertainers and entrepaneurs to the area.

I am also lost in the "sociopath" comment. Didn't get that one????

We have been received very well by the masses and have enjoyed very positive feedback for bringing a "different and refreshing style" of dueling pianos to Bricktown.

Look forward to more shows, and am excited to roll out some new promotions for the Bricktown area and beyond.

It has been entertaining watching the online jabs at our demise. As always look forward to seeing you at our 1 year anniversarry party. :) :fighting3

SPREAD THE WORD!

Papi Sorrelis

Steve
06-08-2009, 08:03 AM
Just a joke Papi - you were crazy when I visited with you - a funny, haha kind of crazy, of course! I expect our video segment will be one within the next couple of weeks.

JimmyC
06-08-2009, 10:30 AM
If anyone out there ever figures out how to please all the people all the time, let me know. LOL Thanks to you all for coming out and supporting us. See ya soon!

JimmyC
06-08-2009, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the backing Steve - hope to see you soon! Jimmy

JimmyC
06-10-2009, 08:59 PM
Hey everyone. I wish I could be there this weekend, but I am takling the first weekend off in 58 weeks! Papi is joined this weekend by the true god-fathers of dueling pianos this Thurs - Sat (from Alley Cats in Dallas - Karl Berkebile, Jimmy Clark and Rod Norman). It will be one helluva show so catch it if you can.

Luvs - Jimmy

Karried
06-10-2009, 09:43 PM
If anyone out there ever figures out how to please all the people all the time, let me know.

Never going to happen.. Some people will find any excuse to complain.... but don't worry about it.

You know you have a quality show and I imagine that you try your hardest to put on a great performance.

I can't wait to come out and experience the show and have a few drinks. Most likely next weekend as the Blue's Festival is this weekend ... but I'm looking forward to it!

JohnKenerson
06-11-2009, 10:26 AM
It is a great place to hang out and Jim and Papi put on a great show. So does Rod. It was a pleasure sitting in with you guys!

JimmyC
06-11-2009, 08:52 PM
well...u will be drinkin with me! =) can't wait to meet you and thank you for the kind words! Jimmy

Karried
06-11-2009, 10:06 PM
Then I'm going for a front row seat! Lol.. I can't wait!

JimmyC
06-12-2009, 08:10 AM
I will be back next weekend, make sure to introduce yourself k? =)

Lisab
06-14-2009, 01:50 AM
Went to Michael Murphy's for the first time tonight (6-13-09) Had a great time! Didn't know where we wanted to go in bricktown and someone suggested Michael Murphy's and we were glad he did!!! It was a blast!!!

liberty08
06-14-2009, 01:32 PM
Proceed with caution! If you call Murphy's, their voice mail msg indicates that the cover charge is $7.00 per person on a Saturday night. However, we made a reservation for a party of 6 and they upped the charge to $10.00 per person. Then, when we arrived at the establishment, our waitress indicated that it would be $40.00 PER TABLE, or $80.00 for our party of 6. It's really odd the way we were treated on the charges. We definitely won't go back.

Andrew4OU
06-14-2009, 05:52 PM
Passed by Friday night. Looks like a lot of fun. Definitely will get a group together sometime soon to go!