View Full Version : Good Egg Group close to announcing 2 new concepts

metro
04-06-2009, 07:50 AM
Got a twitter from tuck today (hope you don't mind), but it's kind of somewhat public information already. They are close to announcing 2 new business deals. I know they were eyeing the possibility of something on Campus Corner, and they were also planning on opening a restaurant next door to Red Prime, so I'm wondering if this is what is in store or what. Tuck, we're anxious to hear when you're ready to tell....:poke:

tuck
04-07-2009, 10:40 AM
Nothing is happening next door to Red Prime.

metro
04-07-2009, 01:12 PM
darn! hopefully another downtown or in the inner city though. I'm still betting one of the two are in Campus Corner in Norman.

OKCMallen
04-07-2009, 02:03 PM
I'm excited. Just added them to my twitter.

kevinpate
04-07-2009, 08:57 PM
> I'm still betting one of the two are in Campus Corner in Norman.

Seems like there was a thread in the Norman board where he said as much, but I could of dreamed that. I've been dreaming all sorts of weird stuff lately.

metro
04-08-2009, 08:46 AM
No dream, hence why I guessed that also:

http://www.okctalk.com/norman/17168-campus-corner-why-why-not-visit.html

metro
04-29-2009, 03:11 PM
tuck, when do we get any new updates..........

tuck
04-29-2009, 03:20 PM
Everything is still moving forward; I wll let you know when the time is right.

OKCMallen
04-30-2009, 07:43 AM
Awesome. I hope it's a GEG take on tex-mex, and I hope it's in my neighborhood...and I hope they price the Tecate at $0.50. (A boy can dream...)

kevinpate
04-30-2009, 08:13 AM
> I hope they price the Tecate at $0.50

is that per sip, glup or glug?

OKCMallen
04-30-2009, 12:28 PM
per 24oz can. :)

metro
06-30-2009, 08:41 AM
Got a tweet from "tuck" last week, they are thinking of opening OKC's first gastropub and calling it REPUBLIC. What are your thoughts?

kevinpate
06-30-2009, 09:37 AM
I suppose it's my age, or the fact that I'm really rather dull, but what is a gastropub? Funky name for bar and grill, or oh, so much more?

metro
06-30-2009, 10:23 AM
Gastropub - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gastropub)

http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/food/2007/03/07/2007-03-07_belly_up_to_the_bar_.html

native
06-30-2009, 05:05 PM
While in Cleveland a new gastropub opened up called 'The Pub'. They have several locations in the midwest. The food was good but they were really known for their selection of European beers. It was the only place I could find Old Speckled Hen on tap. Here is their website to check out.

The Pub (http://www.luvthepub.com/index.php)

Midtowner
06-30-2009, 06:03 PM
Sounds risky. Could pay off huge or it could be a bomb.

OKCMallen
06-30-2009, 07:26 PM
Sounds risky. Could pay off huge or it could be a bomb.

McNellies and Tapwerks seem to do fine with merely decent food. There's nothing like that around Flips, where they are thinking of opening it.

Think of the atmosphere of Iron Starr or Cheevers put into a primary bar. I'll be there nonstop. Only thing close is 51st St Speakeasy, which has surprisingly good food, but is not known for its food at all. I'm hoping for something like the martini lounge at Boulevard as far as atmosphere...dark, definitely a BAR, intimate and still fun with that Good Egg food we've all come to know and love.

MoeStooge
06-30-2009, 09:45 PM
Oscar's Gastropub in Tulsa is pretty good. If we get something that compares favorably to that I'd be happy.

Midtowner
06-30-2009, 10:11 PM
McNellies and Tapwerks seem to do fine with merely decent food. There's nothing like that around Flips, where they are thinking of opening it.

Think of the atmosphere of Iron Starr or Cheevers put into a primary bar. I'll be there nonstop. Only thing close is 51st St Speakeasy, which has surprisingly good food, but is not known for its food at all. I'm hoping for something like the martini lounge at Boulevard as far as atmosphere...dark, definitely a BAR, intimate and still fun with that Good Egg food we've all come to know and love.

I'm guessing the food would have a different [higher] price point? I'm 100% in favor of anything and would maybe even patronize such an establishment on occasion. I do think the area around Flip's is underserved. Lots of Chesapeake employees (the ones who survive the layoffs, anyhow) would like a great place to go. Maybe in the Classen Curve development?

tuck
07-01-2009, 05:46 AM
Republic will be in Classen Curve. Price point will be in the high teens including alchohol. Food will be amazing, inventive and approachable. Craft beers will be the focus on the bar. Great place to watch a game. Oh yeah, wait until you see the patio.

jbkrems
07-01-2009, 06:55 AM
Oscar's Gastropub in Tulsa is great! I go there when I am in Tulsa on business, on occasion.

onthestrip
07-01-2009, 07:45 AM
Republic will be in Classen Curve. Price point will be in the high teens including alchohol. Food will be amazing, inventive and approachable. Craft beers will be the focus on the bar. Great place to watch a game. Oh yeah, wait until you see the patio.

Sounds like my new favorite restaurant already, just try to make sure that patio is in the shade in the evening.

It also sounds like this deal isnt an if but more of a when.

amylynn5656
07-01-2009, 08:11 AM

Heard about this from on of your servers at Iron Starr a couple of weeks ago but wanted to let you be the one to announce it...very exciting! Great job Tuck!

TaoMaas
07-01-2009, 08:20 AM

Sounds like a winner.

OKCMallen
07-01-2009, 08:33 AM

I love you tuck. :kicking: :kicking: :kicking: :kicking: :kicking:

Estimated open?

metro
07-01-2009, 09:54 AM
:poke:Now let's see what else we can get out of "tuck" about Classen Curve.........

Pete
07-01-2009, 10:12 AM
Awesome!

Very, very excited about this.

Even the pedestrian Varsity was very popular for years in the same general area, so I bet with Tuck & Co. behind it, Republic will be a smash.

Which building, Tuck? (They are lettered A through M)

metro
07-01-2009, 10:15 AM
Interesting lettered A-M (Aubrey-McClendon) considering he's the one behind this project.

workman45
07-01-2009, 10:37 AM
Will you be serving Coop beer?

icecold
07-01-2009, 01:21 PM
Great place to watch a game.

I really hope so tuck. Please do not skip on the amount of and quality of tvs. I am tired of The Sip having the best tvs in town. Although, I am glad they do since I am there often.

FritterGirl
07-01-2009, 01:40 PM
Please do not skip on the amount of and quality of tvs.

Aaaack!! Maybe this needs to be its own thread, but really, enough with the TVs already in restaurants. They're practically inescapable. I realize restauranteurs want to make sure their customers don't miss a moment of the current football/basketball/baseball/softball game, golf or tennis tournament, hockey match, car/horse/dog/bike race, etc., but c'mon. Enough already.

When I want to watch a game, I go to a sports bar. When I go out to dinner, I generally want to have a conversation with the people around me.

I guess the "gastropub" concept - a "pub atmosphere" with better-than-pub food - would attract more the sports bar crowd, but seriously, this city suffers from tv overkill.

Pearl's Graveside really missed the mark with the tvs in their booths. That, plus the redesigned concept really took away from the intimate charm of the old 63rd street location.

I beg you, tuck (and I know Cheevers is largely tv-free), but can we not have one restaurant in this town where we can enjoy a quiet meal away from the idiot box, or have we so declined culturallly that we have to have one around us everywhere we go?

Thank you. Rant over.

icecold
07-01-2009, 03:55 PM
When I want to watch a game, I go to a sports bar. When I go out to dinner, I generally want to have a conversation with the people around me.

I guess the "gastropub" concept - a "pub atmosphere" with better-than-pub food - would attract more the sports bar crowd, but seriously, this city suffers from tv overkill.

Fritter....I understand what you are saying. I too like to go out and have dinner and good conversation (thats debatable) as well. If you just want conversation then you should probably stick with Cheevers or Iron Starr. However, when I think of a pub I think of pints, fish and chips, other 10,000+ calorie delicious foods and soccer matches. Tuck said it will be "a great place to watch a game," so since he said that I was just asking/hoping that it will be a great place to watch a game and they will have plenty of good, nice tvs. With that being said tuck had me at....."wait until you see the patio."

native
07-01-2009, 05:28 PM
Most gastropubs I've been to have a few tv's but not overloaded. Soccer games most of the time w/ a foosball table or two. The food was always a step up from the 'normal' pub fair. It was always the European beers that drew me in: Boddington's, Fuller's, Old Speckled Hen, Newcastle, Young's, Tetley, Belhaven, Tennents to name a few. Always on draught always fresh. They also had a couple of rotating cask selections as well. Republic sounds like a place I would frequent.

Midtowner
07-01-2009, 05:34 PM
:LolLolLoltuck, you taking notes?

john60
07-01-2009, 08:26 PM
The area is dying for a "great place to watch the game" restaurant to fill the void of the Varsity...

OKCMallen
07-01-2009, 08:47 PM
Will you be serving Coop beer?

Iron Starr does; it's probably a safe bet Republic will.

tuck
07-04-2009, 04:25 PM
Great comments; sounds like the interest is definetly there.
To answer a few questions:
1. Pete, Republic will be in building 'D"
2. Workman, yes, we will have COOP beers on tap along with close to 100 others
3. OKCMALLEN, we will be open January 2010

Midtowner
07-05-2009, 06:16 PM
Tuck, you say Jan 2010. To put that in perspective, what sort of history do y'all have with hitting your projected open dates?

tuck
07-06-2009, 08:50 AM
50/50, which is 99% better than average. Hitting the exact date isn't a big deal to me. We budget to miss it.

Midtowner
07-06-2009, 09:23 AM
As long as you don't try to emulate Laredo's....

icecold
07-06-2009, 09:33 AM
we will be open January 2010

Looking forward to it. My birthday is the 22nd, so I will need a reservation for 8. Try not to miss it. If not I will just have to do what everybody else does and go to Musashis, again.

BDP
07-06-2009, 03:46 PM
I will be interested to see how the classic "pub" vibe fits into Classen Curve's more modern aesthetic. IMO, that may be the biggest challenge. The concept of a pub with higher quality food should be a slam dunk.

OKCMallen
07-06-2009, 03:46 PM
As long as you don't try to emulate Laredo's....

:elmer3:

warreng88
07-07-2009, 06:25 AM
Iron Starr plans Campus Corner store
by Kelley Chambers
The Journal Record July 7, 2009

OKLAHOMA CITY – In late 2001 the owners of Hideaway Pizza took a chance on opening a store at Norman’s Campus Corner.

At that time the once-thriving district just north of the University of Oklahoma campus was suffering from low occupancy and was in need of a face-lift.

Judy Hatfield helped lead the charge to buy and renovate properties, and secured funding for public improvements from the city and by establishing a tax increment financing district.

Today property owners can be choosy about the tenants that come to the area.

Keith Paul hopes the success of restaurants at Campus Corner will continue for his Iron Starr Urban BBQ. Paul, co-owner of A Good Egg Dining Group, opened Iron Starr in Oklahoma City in 2002.

Hatfield said with many restaurant owners vying to move to Campus Corner, she is looking for an eclectic mix without a saturation of restaurants.

“We’re keeping with the old retail concept so we have a good balance,” she said. “Iron Starr has a great reputation and it’s a type of food we didn’t have.”

Iron Starr is set to open in late September in the old Harold’s outlet space at 575 S. University Blvd.

The building is owned by Rainey Powell and his family. Powell’s father was Harold Powell, founder of the Harold’s stores.

Powell said as he leases space in the area he looks for unique restaurants to appeal to college students and the community. In September a Chipotle restaurant is also slated to open at Campus Corner.

“At this point we need to be careful about new restaurants we bring in,” he said. “We don’t need another pizza place or another hamburger place. Some of those areas are adequately covered.”

Conrad Buchner, Oklahoma City-area district manager for Hideaway, said he has been pleased with the restaurants that have come to Campus Corner because they give diners an array of options. The increased foot traffic has also helped Hideaway maintain its sales.

“It’s been a good consistent store,” Buchner said.

Hatfield said a few leases are in the works that will take up most of the remaining space. Campus Corner has 237,423 square feet of space.

“We’ve got a waiting list because we don’t have much available,” she said.

“That’s a great problem to have.”

Paul hopes Campus Corner will be a successful spot for his first expansion of Iron Starr. The average check per person is about $10, which Paul said has kept business strong even as many consumers cut back on eating out. If successful in Norman, Paul said he hopes to open additional Iron Starr stores in the next two years.

“Iron Starr is our growth vehicle,” he said. “Even with the economy, we feel it can still attract customers with consistent menu pricing.”

http://journalrecord.com/article.cfm?recid=100292

OKCMallen
09-11-2009, 02:27 PM
Tuck, any word on Republic?

metro
09-11-2009, 03:06 PM
Republic is opening in January. Keep an eye out for the Pops66 bus this Sunday. Tuck got it the other day and I believe is taking it out to Bricktown on Sunday! I HIGHLY suspect he'll be peddling some "sample fare" for the possible upcoming Republic menu. I know he's been experimenting with burgers recently for the upcoming Republic. Would be a great way to test them out....

tuck
09-11-2009, 03:13 PM
Metro, the POPS Truck is being picked up next week; ready for service sometime in October. Only POPS fare on that verhicle.

Republic is still set for January opening. The menu tastings have been going really well. Stay tuned for more info. Twitter: @republicokc

metro
09-11-2009, 03:14 PM
Ahh, I thought you picked it up on Wednesday and were going to be out this Sunday.

foodiefan
09-11-2009, 04:12 PM
ummm. . . .sources checking on you, metro??:beaten_fi

carolace
09-12-2009, 12:34 PM
Hey, Tuck, How about a Local Table in Oklahoma City???? I'd so love that!

metro
09-15-2009, 12:32 PM
we have something better:

Table One: culinary immersion | Oklahoma City Restaurants (http://www.eataroundokc.com/2009/table-one-culinary-immersion/)

metro
09-15-2009, 12:33 PM
ummm. . . .sources checking on you, metro??:beaten_fi

Sure, but I could have swore his tweet that week said picking up the Pops 66 van and he'd be out in Bricktown that weekend with it. Plans do change ya know. But it's all good. :tiphat: