View Full Version : Jimmy Johns sandwiches to open in FlatIron District!

metro
03-27-2009, 07:33 AM
Great News, the first real retail in the FlatIron district. There are others, but they are so niche that most people dont' know or visit. This is great news for downtown in a down economy! This will really help tie in FlatIron w/ Deep Deuce and then Deep Deuce to Bricktown. Can't wait for the FlatIron Lofts to start!!!

Jimmy John’s sandwich shop to be first eatery in Flatiron district
by Kelley Chambers
The Journal Record March 27, 2009

OKLAHOMA CITY – The Flatiron district on the northeast side of downtown Oklahoma City is getting a sandwich shop.

http://www.journalrecord.com/_images/articles/t_labskc-jimmy%20johns%2003-27-09.jpg

Ryan Storer, right, and Stuart Graham, not pictured, with CB Richard Ellis/Oklahoma, handled the transaction to bring the first Jimmy John’s sandwich shop to Oklahoma City at the Momentum Building at 111 N. Harrison Ave. Bert Belanger, left, and a group of investors bought the building in 2006 and spent $2.5 million in renovations. The shop is the first retailer in the building. (Photo by Maike Sabolich)

A franchise of Illinois-based Jimmy John’s is set to open in the Momentum Building, at 111 N. Harrison, in July.The sandwich shop will be the first restaurant in that immediate area, where developers are working on residential and commercial projects. It will also sit between the central business district and the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center.
The building is owned by Momentum Partners LLC, led by managing partner Bert Belanger. The group purchased the 1956 building in 2006 for more than $1.4 million. They spent about $2.5 million renovating it for office and retail space. It was originally built for use by the Oklahoma Publishing Co.

Jimmy John’s will occupy 1,200 square feet on the first floor. The franchise is owned by Iowa investors Anthony Petersen and Mark Holkamp.
It will be the first Jimmy John’s in Oklahoma City. Other franchisees own one store in Norman and two in Edmond.

The company was started in 1983 by 19-year-old Jimmy John Liautaud. The company Web site shows the company has about 690 stores.

Ryan Storer and Stuart Graham, with CB Richard Ellis/Oklahoma, handled the transaction.

Storer said the Jimmy John’s stores in other markets have done well in urban areas and near universities. The store in Norman and one in Edmond are near universities.

Petersen has worked for the company for four-and-one-half years and is moving to Oklahoma to open his first store. Once this one opens, Petersen said he and Holkamp plan to look at additional sites around the city.
The company steered their franchise hunt toward Oklahoma.

“We were looking for an area large enough that we could expand and grow,” Petersen said. “There were only a few places to choose from and Oklahoma City was the best one.”

The company lists the price for the initial investment in a franchise at $35,000. With development, fees, equipment, fixtures and other costs, the total investment to open a franchise store varies from $289,000 to $386,000.
Petersen said he is aware that the neighborhood around the store often gets quiet after 5 p.m. and there is little activity most weekends.

The corporate office will determine the hours and help determine when the store will be open. The typical Jimmy John’s is open from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. daily.

The stores offer free sandwich delivery within a range determined by the corporate office, but Petersen said it will likely encompass downtown, Midtown, and the Health Sciences Center.
Construction will begin in May.

Belanger said the sandwich shop is by no means the largest tenant, but has helped nearly fill the 29,000-square-foot building. With Jimmy John’s in place, there is about 1,800 square feet available.

“Jimmy John’s is a tiny lease but it’s a really big deal in terms of getting the first retail in that building,” Belanger said. “It’s a high-visibility location.”

http://www.journalrecord.com/article.cfm?recid=97206

so1rfan
03-27-2009, 03:52 PM
Good deal, I like Jimmy John's. They make a tasty little sandwich.

FritterGirl
03-27-2009, 04:54 PM
I've never been to one (I think there's one near Bryant on 2nd Street in Edmond), but we've got friends in Kansas City who say they make great sandwiches.

soonerguru
03-27-2009, 09:21 PM
I like Jimmy John's as well. Will they deliver at that location? Inquiring minds want to know.

scootinger
03-27-2009, 10:11 PM
first Jimmy John’s sandwich shop to Oklahoma City

I think they have their facts wrong? At least there is one over by Oklahoma Christian University off Memorial, plus one in Edmond.

fire121
03-28-2009, 07:03 AM
Excellent sandwich.
They use fresh ingredients and are very fast.
California Club is righteous,.... if you like the turkey,provolone, sprouts, and guacamole deal!!
Great news.

tuck
03-28-2009, 08:04 AM
Great news for Downtown. Now, for everyone that seems so excited about the news, please talk this place up and stop in often.

Steve
03-28-2009, 09:21 AM
I think they have their facts wrong? At least there is one over by Oklahoma Christian University off Memorial, plus one in Edmond.

Facts would be wrong if they said it was the first in Edmond. But Edmond is different from Oklahoma City.

LakeEffect
03-28-2009, 10:26 AM
Facts would be wrong if they said it was the first in Edmond. But Edmond is different from Oklahoma City.

The one next to Oklahoma Christian is technically in Oklahoma City. The City limits are 1/2 mile north of Memorial Road. That's part of the problem with north Oklahoma City - it has a huge identity crisis. People who live in OKC don't even know they do, many people really believe they live in Edmond.

soonerguru
03-28-2009, 10:53 AM
Ahem....Does anyone know if this Jimmy John's will deliver?

BailJumper
03-28-2009, 11:14 AM
Maybe I got a bad sandwich. I've been to the one in Edmond on 2nd street and wasn't impressed at all (twice).

metro
03-28-2009, 12:06 PM
Ahem....Does anyone know if this Jimmy John's will deliver?

If you note in the article it states they will

soonerguru
03-28-2009, 02:37 PM
Sorry! I think I read an earlier version that didn't mention that. Either that or I had blinders on. Great news! I used to live in Deep Deuce and would have relished a freshly delivered sammich from Jimmy John's.

Now I work downtown, and will certainly ring them up for a delivery now and then.

jbrown84
03-28-2009, 04:27 PM
Good news. Should help establish FlatIron as the retail center of Deep Deuce/Triangle.

JerzeeGrlinOKC
03-28-2009, 11:38 PM
We're getting this excited about a Jimmy John's? Really?

Meh. Double meh.

Don't forget the new Hobby's Hoagies! They deliver (although I don't know how far).

soonerguru
03-29-2009, 03:19 PM

We haven't had much to talk about lately. LOL.

fire121
03-29-2009, 10:21 PM
When you've driven by dilapidated deteriorating buildings in certain parts of the city for probably the last 25 - 30 years, yes, it's a really big deal.

metro
07-07-2009, 03:38 PM
Anyone know what day they are opening? They are getting close.

Platemaker
07-07-2009, 03:46 PM
I can't wait to sink my teeth into a Gargantuan!

Midtowner
07-07-2009, 03:49 PM

Meh. Double meh.

Don't forget the new Hobby's Hoagies! They deliver (although I don't know how far).

It's where it is, not what it is. It could be a Hardee's and still be a good thing.

JerzeeGrlinOKC
07-07-2009, 05:51 PM
It's where it is, not what it is. It could be a Hardee's and still be a good thing.

Wow I made that post like 10 years ago! :wink:

So why would we be so excited about a fast food joint down there? I'm confused. Just seems like there is so much more potential in that area. Sage Market and The Wedge are awesome, I think we just need to continue that trend. If the goal is to make Flatiron into a retail center, I just don't get how a Jimmy John's would achieve (let alone a Hardee's). But I know diddly about urban development, so whatever. Boo me away if you must...:fighting4

And my other point was that people seemed to be salivating in this thread over Jimmy John's food, and I think Hobby's Hoagies (whom deliver, don't forget) blows them out of the water. :chef: And ok I'm being selfish, I want to keep them down there, don't let that location fail! I'm begging everyone. I just can't handle driving all the way up to Edmond for some Philly Cheesesteak goodness.

Midtowner
07-07-2009, 05:55 PM
I'll probably never go to Jimmy John's because I agree with you. Hobby's is the s**t.

soonerguru
07-07-2009, 09:06 PM
I like Hobby's as well. I've already rung them up for delivery and walked in a few times.

On another note, how is "Steak and Catfish" coming along? LOL.

mecarr
07-09-2009, 04:16 PM
I was told in May that Steak and Catfish would be opening on June 16th. It's still not open. Keep in mind that in June of 2008 they had a sign up on their windows that said "Steak & Catfish: Coming soon!"

Midtowner
07-09-2009, 04:28 PM
Drove by on my way to the office this morning. They were hard at work inside Steak & Catfish. Look for them to be opening shortly.

On a side note, Bodyworx is now closed.

soonerguru
07-09-2009, 05:29 PM
WTF is Steak and Catfish going to serve, anyway?

I kid.

Still, what a crap name for a dining establishment.

donbroncho
07-09-2009, 05:34 PM
Yea that is a terrible name...I can't see myself asking a group of friends "Hey you all want to go to Steak and Catfish to eat" that just doesn't roll off the tongue at all.

I wish them luck though,and hopefully they can improve their signage and market the place a lot better than it has been. I don't want to be one of these posters who hopes a place fails because they don't like the business.

metro
07-10-2009, 08:29 AM
Anyhow, back to Jimmy Johns, anyone know when it opens?

Platemaker
07-10-2009, 11:46 AM
I called the Norman location and he said "like two weeks."

I called the Edmond location and he said "dude I have no idea."

I called the Memorial Road location and it must be off the hook... :)

PLANSIT
08-18-2009, 10:36 AM
Has been open for a week or two now.

metro
08-18-2009, 10:37 AM
Yep, it sticks out like a sore thumb for the area though, I hope it makes it, has it been very busy at lunch? Every time I drive by it seems dead.

John
08-18-2009, 11:11 AM
Use their delivery. The commercials don't lie. They're freaky fast.

ElmoFromOK
08-18-2009, 11:21 AM
That Steak and Catfish place intrigues me. I want to stop in and try sometime.

soonerguru
08-27-2009, 11:38 AM
UPDATE:

I work downtown and just ordered a sandwich from Jimmy John's. It was delivered to my office within 15 minutes and is delicious.

Shout out to Jimmy John's.

OKCMallen
09-02-2009, 10:11 AM
Holy ****. Ordered onlien at 10:54 AM. In my office in Leadership Square at 11:09.

ElmoFromOK
09-03-2009, 09:55 PM
that is really impressive.

OKCMallen
09-10-2009, 10:40 AM
Ordered JJ's at 1119. It was here at1134. Perfect to my custom specifications. I can't say enough about this place.