View Full Version : Oklahoma Sustainability Conference

metro
02-24-2009, 07:47 AM
Annual sustainability meeting will focus on building ‘green’Eighth business conference is March 20-21 at UCO
BY JOHN A. WILLIAMS
Published: February 24, 2009

EDMOND — The annual Oklahoma Sustainability Network Conference "A New Declaration of Independence,” is scheduled March 20-21 at the Nigh University Center at the University of Central Oklahoma.

The eighth-annual conference will bring a diverse crowd to work toward making Oklahoma a more sustainable state, said Jeff Tate, the president of the Edmond chapter of the state network.

"Sustainability incorporates the three Es: environment, economy and equity,” Tate said. "For example, in environment you can’t use up all of your natural resources. You’ve got to maximize quality of life now and not jeopardize it for the future.”

The goal of the conference is to bring together business, government and individuals to focus on energy, environment, food and agriculture and activism.

"We’re reaching out to businesses by talking about green building codes and green building alternatives,” Tate said.

"We’ll be talking about energy issues so anybody wanting to sharpen their skills and learn new things or just dip their toe in the water will be able to take away something.”

William Greider will be the keynote speaker. Greider was the National Affairs Editor at Rolling Stone magazine and a former assistant managing editor at the Washington Post. His most recent book is "The Soul of Capitalism: Opening Paths to A Moral Economy.”

The two-day conference also will feature sessions about business and governmental interests and sustainable business strategies as well as what individuals can do in land use and transportation.

Registration is $75 for both days or $42.50 for one day. For more information, e-mail info@ oksustainability.org.

Midtowner
02-24-2009, 07:52 AM
I just read they're putting in a botanical garden on campus. Maybe they'll look to add some degree programs having to do with sustainability soon?

metro
02-24-2009, 08:07 AM
I dunno, but that'd be sweet. I'd even consider going back to school someday to get one just for the heck of it.

Midtowner
02-24-2009, 08:20 AM
I dunno, but that'd be sweet. I'd even consider going back to school someday to get one just for the heck of it.

I think sustainability education or maybe some sort of engineering program could really be something. I wouldn't consider going back to school to pick up that sort of degree, but one of UCO's goals is to transition to being a research institution and these kind of programs would be the ticket.

metro
02-24-2009, 08:59 AM
Good point.