View Full Version : Iguana

Pages : 1 2 [3]

bchris02
11-10-2014, 02:59 PM
Maybe I need to give Mama Rojas another try. Last time I went, I enjoyed the atmosphere pretty well but wasn't huge on the food. I liked Ted's and Alfredos better. Possibly I just hit it on a bad day.

soonermike81
11-10-2014, 03:02 PM
Abel's is, hands down, the best mexican food in OKC, imo. And it's not even close. My one trip to Iguana about a year ago was a pretty bad one. Wait was long and food was less than average. As far as the chains go, I think they're all trash, especially Abuelo's. Haven't been to the Chuy's in Norman, but I remember enjoying it in DFW several years ago. We really do need better Tex-Mex options. Something like Lupe Tortilla's in Houston, would be great here.

Rajah
11-10-2014, 03:07 PM
Iguana has really good chips and salsa. But, every time I have been I've had a bad experience. I make better Mexican food at home. And I always wondered if I was only having bad experiences because I'm pescitarian. But it seems that meat eaters aren't toi impressed either. It was a big trend to go to Taco Tuesdays, I wonder if it still is?

Pete
11-10-2014, 03:11 PM
^

I really like Casa Perico, primarily because they serve that warm habanero salsa (have to request it) and have those great frosted goblets of beer with the lime pulp. Abel's has the same goblets as well.

It's funny because last time I was in town I just happened into Abel's as I had time to kill in the area before an appointment, and I thought wow! this is such a hidden gem. I was there in the late afternoon and the place wasn't busy and I thought I had quite the discovery. Little did I know lots of people love the place.

But what if you want to meet a group of people and have margs and beers and great chips and salsa in a fun bar setting?

Mama Roja and Iguana seem to be about it. That's pretty shocking.

Rajah
11-10-2014, 03:15 PM
Yeah, Abel's is my favorite! They have the best (free) relish. You can tell its hand sliced and made in house. So good!

But for sure. I live near the 9th location and I so badly want it to be better. Because it does have that "cool factor" and the great location.

Pete
11-10-2014, 03:19 PM
Back in the day (80's) when OKC had almost zero fun places to go, at least there was.... Chi-Chi's!

Man, that place was the bomb when if first opened in the 70's and remained a really hot bar scene for quite a while. Many, many fun happy hours in the one on NW Expressway.

BTW, nothing like a great happy hour in a Mexican place to lure lots of fun women. Or at least they become fun over margaritas, the best of all social lubricants.

Reminds me... I guess Mamasita's is still around. Wow, had some fun times there as well.

Rover
11-10-2014, 03:20 PM
I went to Abel's on Saturday. The meat was really dry. Sauce was tasty. Portions were pretty good. Chips okay. Tortillas were a little oily. It wasn't nearly as good as the last time I went, about 2 months ago. I will go again, but it was far from the best on this go round. Oh....and they don't serve margaritas.

I think Tarahumara's Mexican Cafe & Cantina in Norman is pretty good. And Casa Perico is just fine. 1492 can be good and with very good margaritas. Chuy's isn't great..just okay, and not nearly as good as in Austin as it has become another "chain" Mexican restaurant. All are better than Iguana is now.

Bullbear
11-10-2014, 03:22 PM
I love Abel's as well. me and my core croup of friends who use to frequent Iguana have went to Milagros a few times since we have boycotted Iguana. it isn't bad . they do have good drinks so it works for having margaritas and chips and salsa. if Its just the two of us wanting good mexican without the enviroment or the booze we go to Raffitas.

warreng88
11-10-2014, 03:23 PM
I will say that although I love the food at Mama Roja's, I have issues with their staff and a particular issue with the one room. The waitstaff is great (at least to me) but the every time I go there, I feel like the hostesses are 14 and don't have any clue what they are doing. Also, they have had that large round room on the NE/C blocked off only for private parties. Since they have had it blocked off (probably for a year or more now) I have never been in there and seen a party of any sort. I would think if there are not large private events, you would be able to open that up, bring in two or three more servers and more people would eat, which in turn would make them more money. That being said, it is my favorite mexican food in the metro and then Iguana.

LakeEffect
11-10-2014, 03:56 PM
I haven't been to Mama Roja and I tend to be more favorable towards Hal Smith's places than some here, so I'll give it a try.

Really, most the time I go to a place like Iguana I just want a cold beer or Margarita with good chips and salsa; the entrees are not the big draw. I'd much rather have a nice, fun setting.

This is why I generally dislike Ted's (I know it's Hal's). Way too cramped and everything seems so rushed. And no bar (at least the ones I've seen).

I'll grant you this.

When Iguana opened with Ryan and Robert running the show, it was great. Ryan tried new dishes, and Taco Tuesday produced some really inventive tacos... without either of them involved, the entrees are passable at best. With a toddler and a pregnant wife, though, I rarely just have the opportunity to go to Iguana for a margarita, chips and their great salsa.

jrod
11-10-2014, 04:27 PM
Something similar to this would murder in OKC. My wife and I's favorite spot in Cleveland, not favorite Mexican. Favorite spot period. momocho (http://momocho.com/home.php)

Pete
11-10-2014, 04:35 PM
I'll grant you this.

When Iguana opened with Ryan and Robert running the show, it was great. Ryan tried new dishes, and Taco Tuesday produced some really inventive tacos... without either of them involved, the entrees are passable at best. With a toddler and a pregnant wife, though, I rarely just have the opportunity to go to Iguana for a margarita, chips and their great salsa.

The last time I was in Iguana on 9th there were a lot of families.

How about something like Bleu Garten or Fassler Hall with a big outdoor patio?? Good grief, Mexican food is as much about a festive atmosphere as the food. Plus, huge profit margins in slapping out chips and salsa and then raking in the bar money.

For all the great new restaurants and those planned, there are still some pretty big holes/opportunities.

BoulderSooner
11-10-2014, 05:16 PM
1492 is by far the best Mexican in okc. And that is not even the best part of their menu

Pete
11-10-2014, 05:25 PM
I'll make it a point to try 1492. I know the space is beautiful.

betts
11-10-2014, 08:37 PM
I was at Iguana today. I always get a cheese and sour cream chicken enchilada with cilantro rice. It was as good as always. I didn't think the salsa was quite as good as usual but otherwise I was quite appt with the food.

dankrutka
11-10-2014, 09:31 PM
I'm not sure if it's just the tortillas and queso or the incredibly efficient service, but I am very loyal to Tarahumara's in Norman for Tex-Mex. For more authentic Mexican I'd go with Pepe Delgado's on Campus Corner.

Urbanized
11-11-2014, 05:49 AM
^^^^^^^^
Both great places

Bullbear
11-11-2014, 08:53 AM
I'll grant you this.

Yup.. Robert is doing a great job with Tommy's now however but I don't get up there nearly as often as I was at Iguana.

HangryHippo
11-11-2014, 03:52 PM
Ryan seems to bounce around a LOT. I feel like I'm always seeing his name pop up at different restaurants. Does he just have restaurant wanderlust? Is he difficult to work with? Just trying new things?

White Peacock
11-21-2014, 04:27 PM
I'm a food lover; a dish or service have to be really flavorless or carelessly put together for me to strongly dislike it. I can have a great meal at Iguana, Chelino's, San Marcos, Ted's, Abuelo's, or what have you. They each have areas in which they shine, and I've learned what each place does best and order accordingly.

I've been going to the south side San Marcos since I was in high school. And now that they've opened up a new shop in my neighborhood (near 39th and MacArthur), I've gone several times and love it.

Plutonic Panda
02-08-2015, 08:26 PM
2/8/2015

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7375/16292973387_c5fc5d64ac_b.jpg

RadicalModerate
02-08-2015, 10:00 PM
Still lookin' good . . . Hope the so-called "waitstaff" and "kitchen managementizers" have improved since our last visit . . .

Me (on behalf of my wife and I): "We'll have a couple of G and T's"
Barkeep: "Say whu?"
Me: G and T's
Barkeep: "What?"
Me: Gin and Tonics. Two of them.
(I refrained from "Duh" or "Doh" on account of I'm polite)

And I had to cut the kid some slack on account of this wonderful spot is right next to the Wayne Coyne BrainDrayn.

Edited to Add: Great PhotoCap, Pluto. For Real. Thanks.
It really is a beautiful and evocative photograph.
Especially in early February.

Plutonic Panda
02-08-2015, 10:27 PM
Thanks man! The service was alright, but when I only asked for a couple of soft drinks(I only drink when I'm with cougars or having a really real party) he stopped, stood there and looked at me for a couple seconds, reminded me that they were going to expect us to pay for them, which I did, so when went back to grab them, my friend and I dipped before he got back and we went and got some elsewhere. I wouldn't say he was rude, but I just wasn't digging the vibe at the time. I do like the scenic part of it and will be back sometime.

sooner88
02-08-2017, 01:04 PM
I went here last night for their re-opening, and I am impressed with how much they got done in just two weeks. They opened up the bar area and it has a much brighter, open feel. The main focus looked to be in the bar, but the whole restaurant got a new layout/seating arrangement. The place was packed last night... it will be interesting to see what the long-term effects are. I think Barrio's, Revolucion and Cultivar are just enough different that they should all be able to cohabitate.

Pete
02-08-2017, 01:09 PM
^

And you can bet the remodel was due to that added competition.

I'll have to stop by... I've always liked Iguana and prefer the bar area.

dankrutka
02-08-2017, 01:37 PM
I remember around 2011 when 9th street was becoming a hot spot and there's been no new development since S&B's really. I know there were sessions that encouraged public input for the area and there was a lot of talk of residential. Anything happening with the properties that are not really being utilized? I just think 9th could use a new development to bring some excitement. :)

LakeEffect
02-08-2017, 01:48 PM
I went here last night for their re-opening, and I am impressed with how much they got done in just two weeks. They opened up the bar area and it has a much brighter, open feel. The main focus looked to be in the bar, but the whole restaurant got a new layout/seating arrangement. The place was packed last night... it will be interesting to see what the long-term effects are. I think Barrio's, Revolucion and Cultivar are just enough different that they should all be able to cohabitate.

They had actually opened up the bar area a while ago, maybe 6 months? They re-branded around then too. Then they brought on a new managing partner, and did this renovation. We stopped going for at least 2 years because the quality went way down, so I'm excited for the changes. Always loved the chips & salsa.

HangryHippo
02-08-2017, 01:50 PM
Always loved the chips & salsa.
Their chips and salsa were the best around (IMO).

sooner88
02-08-2017, 01:56 PM
They had actually opened up the bar area a while ago, maybe 6 months? They re-branded around then too. Then they brought on a new managing partner, and did this renovation. We stopped going for at least 2 years because the quality went way down, so I'm excited for the changes. Always loved the chips & salsa.

The bar area was remodeled too and just re-opened yesterday along with the rest of the restaurant. The rebranding / new menu did come out a month or two ago.

dankrutka
02-12-2017, 01:16 PM
Stopped here for lunch on Saturday and I really like the rebranding and changes to the bar area. Food was good. I forgot that this place has a really cool feel... also, dollar Mimosas?!? Definitely worth trying out again.

Pete
04-11-2017, 10:42 AM
Stopped here for lunch on Saturday and I really like the rebranding and changes to the bar area. Food was good. I forgot that this place has a really cool feel... also, dollar Mimosas?!? Definitely worth trying out again.

Agree about the remodel.

Was in last week and I really liked the feel.

They also have a good happy hour with discounted margaritas and loads of free chips and fresh salsa.

ljbab728
04-11-2017, 08:22 PM
They also have a good happy hour with discounted margaritas and loads of free chips and fresh salsa.

Is that allowed under Oklahoma's restrictive happy hour laws concerning discounted liquor drinks during happy hour? Maybe I don't fully understand the law. I thought that discounted beer was basically the only drink containing alcohol that could be discounted. I remember not long ago going to Macaroni Grill when I had received an email about a promotion with half price wine. They told me that was not allowed in Oklahoma so they could not honor the promotion.

ljbab728
04-11-2017, 10:55 PM
Dave Cathey's comprehensive article about this. It also include a great video with an interview with Marc Dunham. My mouth is watering just looking at the food in that video.

http://newsok.com/multimedia/video/5394037768001#gsc.tab=0

Jeepnokc
04-20-2017, 03:44 PM
Is that allowed under Oklahoma's restrictive happy hour laws concerning discounted liquor drinks during happy hour? Maybe I don't fully understand the law. I thought that discounted beer was basically the only drink containing alcohol that could be discounted. I remember not long ago going to Macaroni Grill when I had received an email about a promotion with half price wine. They told me that was not allowed in Oklahoma so they could not honor the promotion.

My understanding is you can only discount 3.2 beer. You can run a monthly drink special or even weekly but can't discount for happy hour.

Pete
04-20-2017, 03:46 PM
My understanding is you can only discount 3.2 beer. You can run a monthly drink special or even weekly but can't discount for happy hour.

Just FYI, they frequently run happy hour ads that show discounted margaritas as well as beer and food.

Jeepnokc
04-20-2017, 03:58 PM
Here is language from the statute:

B. No licensee of the ABLE Commission shall:
1. Receive, possess, or sell any alcoholic beverage except as authorized by the
Oklahoma Alcoholic Beverage Control Act and by the license or permit which the licensee
holds;
2. Employ any person under the age of twenty-one (21) in the selling or handling of
alcoholic beverages. Provided, that a mixed beverage, beer and wine, caterer, public event,
special event or bottle club licensee may employ servers who are at least eighteen (18) years
of age, except persons under twenty-one (21) years of age may not serve in designated bar or
lounge areas, and a mixed beverage, beer and wine, caterer, public event, special event or
bottle club licensee may employ or hire musical bands who have musicians who are under
twenty-one (21) years of age if each such musician is either accompanied by a parent or legal
guardian or has on their person, to be made available for inspection upon demand by any
ABLE Commission officer or law enforcement officer, a written, notarized affidavit from the
parent or legal guardian giving the underage musician permission to perform in designated
bar or lounge areas;
3. Give any alcoholic beverage as a prize, premium or consideration for any lottery,
game of chance or skill or any type of competition;
4. Advertise or offer “happy hours” or any other means or inducements to stimulate
the consumption of alcoholic beverages including:
a. deliver more than two drinks to one person at one time,
b. sell or offer to sell to any person or group of persons any drinks at a price
less than the price regularly charged for such drinks during the same calendar week, except at
private functions not open to the public,
c. sell or offer to sell to any person an unlimited number of drinks during any
set period of time for a fixed price, except at private functions not open to the public,
d. sell or offer to sell drinks to any person or group of persons on any one day
at prices less than those charged the general public on that day, except at private functions
not open to the public,
e. increase the volume of alcoholic beverages contained in a drink without
increasing proportionately the price regularly charged for such drink during the same
calendar week, o

sooner88
04-20-2017, 07:53 PM
Their happy hour says $3 mini margaritas. I'm guessing they get around because it's the equivalent same price as a full size.

JarrodH
04-21-2017, 09:15 AM
There are many ways to get around this.

Let's use a margarita for instance. If their normal price is $6 and it uses X tequila, the only way it can be discounted is if its a WEEKLY special for 7 consecutive days. They can however use Y tequila to do a $4 margarita during "happy hour" yet have to serve it if asked for any other time. This is commonly used since the normal patron will ask for a "house margarita" which would fall under X tequila but if they knew to ask for a Y tequila margarita, it would legally have to be served at $4.

Another common tactic is a beer and a shot special at X price. The way they do this is say its a beer and shot of whiskey for $5. The shot of whiskey is always $5 and the beer is a domestic so they are "giving" you the beer and charging full price for the shot. This is allowed because 3.2 isn't regulated by ABLE and can be discounted at any time.

Its absolutely absurd that we have to go to these lengths In order to do whats such common practice in every other state.

easternobserver
04-22-2017, 09:34 AM
Stopped in for a quick dinner the other day and was very impressed with the new bar space and with the food. The new corn tortillas are very high quality, and really made for a good barbacoa taco. Most of the familiar items are still on the menu, and my old favorite, the coral snake salsa, was good as ever. Excellent service from the bartender at a normal table in the new bar area. I have high hopes that they have revitalized, as they had seemed a bit tired.

Pete
05-14-2021, 06:50 AM
Getting an expanded patio:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/iguana051321a.jpg

warreng88
05-14-2021, 08:52 AM
Am I seeing this right that the patio will expand to the west into the parking?

Pete
05-14-2021, 08:53 AM
Am I seeing this right that the patio will expand to the west into the parking?

Yes.

shawnw
05-14-2021, 08:56 AM

Looks like they're nixing 4 parking spots?

Nice work

Pete
05-14-2021, 08:59 AM
Yep:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/iguana021421a.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/iguana021421b.jpg

ditm4567
05-14-2021, 09:23 AM
This is awesome. If only their food would be half as good as their drinks.

warreng88
05-14-2021, 09:25 AM

I have always really liked their food and have always had good service and experiences there. Personally, I don't drink so I can't speak to the quality of their drinks.

dankrutka
05-14-2021, 12:26 PM

If you keep drinking I bet you’ll like the food more. ;)

DoctorTaco
05-17-2021, 12:27 PM

Looks like they're nixing 4 parking spots?

Nice work

You love to see it