View Full Version : Iguana

Pages : 1 [2] 3

OKCMallen
12-22-2008, 12:08 PM
Went today for a busy lunch. Restaurant was pretty much full.

1. Entrees were great. Shrimp and veggie skewer off the lunch menu was, sincerely, terrific. My mother had the special: sour cream chicken enchiladas, which were also terrific.

2. Service was below average.

3. Those stupid chips- they still have super stale ones mixed in...someone needs to talk to them about this.

Overall, the food was so good we walked out happy. But seriously, service issues should be shored up by now.

onthestrip
12-22-2008, 12:41 PM
I cant complain about the food either, but I do agree with the service complaint. The last two times Ive been there the waiters seemed to be out to lunch a little bit.

I also wanted to ask a question to them. The basic glass of margarita is 6 bucks, the pitcher is 25 bucks, yet you only get 4 glasses per pitcher. 4 times 6=24. Does this strike anyone else as odd?

mecarr
12-26-2008, 11:08 AM
The last two times I've been there I have been really disappointed. First, the server was wayyyy too talkative. Second, the food is just plain bad. The salsa has no spice to it whatsoever. It is basically just chopped up tomatoes. I've had the quesadailla which was disgusting. My wife had fish tacos which were not any better...

Platemaker
12-26-2008, 11:43 AM
They have about 5 different salsas. I like the regular... it's not spicy... but very fresh. Love it.
You probably won't like Iguana if you expect 'regular' Mexican food (enchiladas, refried beans, red rice).

betts
12-26-2008, 03:12 PM
Wow. I've never had a bad meal there. My daughter was in from Chicago, is kind of a foodie and loved it too. I always get the same thing, since I don't go that often and it always sounds good to me: cheese and chicken enchiladas, green rice and fruit salad. I love the coral snake and the pico. They're both delicious.

BailJumper
12-26-2008, 04:54 PM
The basic glass of margarita is 6 bucks, the pitcher is 25 bucks, yet you only get 4 glasses per pitcher. 4 times 6=24. Does this strike anyone else as odd?

It has a built-in $1 "convenience charge"!

Intrepid
12-26-2008, 09:16 PM
I just love the complimentary ride on the Party Bus to the Ford Center during game nights.

Nothing like curb side service to/fro the game, and better food/drinks for the same price as concession.

Edmond Earl
12-29-2008, 03:52 PM
I've now been back twice. The food was so bland the first time we had to try it again. Yes, it's was that bland again.

Intrepid
12-30-2008, 06:19 AM
I've now been back twice. The food was so bland the first time we had to try it again. Yes, it's was that bland again.

I agree that it was bland. Ok, but bland. I do like their fresh salsa tho.

OKCMallen
12-30-2008, 08:34 AM
COunt me in on their fresh salsa.

onthestrip
02-15-2009, 02:59 PM
Has anyone thats been here a few times experienced bad service. Ive enjoyed the food when ive been there but I'd say about 4 of the 6 times ive been there, the service has been terrible. Just the last time I went there, the server brought all our meals except one. It was another 10 minutes before our server even came back so that we could tell them that we were missing a meal.

Just thought someone with Iguana may read this and would want to know.

mecarr
02-15-2009, 08:16 PM
We've been there a few times and won't go back. I don't think the food is any good at all. Plus, the service is spotty. Either they come and bother you way too much or they disappear. When it comes to mexican, I go to 1492.

LakeEffect
02-15-2009, 08:23 PM
We've been there a few times and won't go back. I don't think the food is any good at all. Plus, the service is spotty. Either they come and bother you way too much or they disappear. When it comes to mexican, I go to 1492.

What about the food don't you like? Personally, the variety of sides really helps the meals come together for me. Brunch is usually fantastic on Sunday...

taylor83
02-16-2009, 06:56 AM
I like the food and atmosphere but I agree that their service is seriously lacking.

Midtowner
02-16-2009, 08:38 AM
Food/atmosphere are fantastic. I think that by far, Iguana is better than 1492 in many respects. 1492 absolutely kills me with portion sizes -- absolutely enormous. Think of Abuelo's and add a super-starchy plantain. When at Iguana for lunch, I order something, it's excellent and it's not too much. I really value that.

I will tentatively agree on the service. The last couple of times I've been there, I've had the same waiter who has forgotten about me. Both times, there were some mitigating factors. The first time, we shared a room with a table of around 30 folks who probably just showed up, no reservations, no warning, leaving a waitstaff and kitchen scrambling to get things done. The second time it happened, it was a nice day and we sat outside, we were the only ones out there, so I can sort of see the problem there too. No big deal.

I don't think it's fair to judge a restaurant based on one waiter who was performing under slightly less than normal circumstances. I also think that Iguana is still newish and it'll take them awhile to work the kinks out on the service side of things. I don't go to a restaurant expecting perfection in service, that'd be unreasonable. I just expect my food brought out timely, my drinks generally filled, and not to have to wait 30 minutes for my bill. Generally, when I go there, I get that. Those two particular times, I got that once I got someone's attention.

Iguana is officially on my lunch/dinner restaurant rotation and looks to remain there for the foreseeable future.

OKCMallen
02-16-2009, 12:04 PM
Iguana is one of my family's favorites, and we go at least once a month.

DesingerOKC
03-13-2009, 09:15 AM
I LOVED it! Everything was great and there were tons of people there.

Luke
03-13-2009, 10:13 AM
Went there last weekend. Food was awesome. Service was awful.

Easy180
03-14-2009, 02:34 PM
Went several weeks back and had the Al Carbon Beef Burrito...It was excellent and the service was adequate on the packed Saturday night

Will definitely be in our weekend dinner rotation

GWB
03-14-2009, 07:56 PM
My wife and I love this place. The chicken adobo that they put in their burritos and chimichangas is out of this world. Their queso is the best in town. Like others on the tread have mentioned, the service can be pretty bad at times. Hope it gets better soon.

bandnerd
03-14-2009, 08:26 PM
Mmmmm the adobo chicken........

metro
03-16-2009, 08:04 AM
I LOVED it! Everything was great and there were tons of people there.

Went there last weekend. Food was awesome. Service was awful.

Can you please elaborate on the food you ordered? :poke:

flintysooner
08-08-2009, 06:33 AM
Went to Iguana Grill first time at lunch (Friday Aug 7 2009). Was pretty full but still they found us a table very quickly.

We had the apricot salsa that was really good.

I ordered the Mexican Chopped Salad. It was just so much better than I expected. The food is very good. The service was great and especially good considering how busy they were.

Of course it is not a huge place and the tables are close enough that it bothered me at first. But that feeling quickly departed with the quality of the food.

Extremely good experience. Will definitely find time to return to this place.

alan
08-10-2009, 02:35 PM
love the food.

service was good, the server said he was new, as much of the staff probably is. i am confident the service will only get better.

kevinpate
04-30-2010, 07:05 AM
We finally got around to trying Iguana last night. Other than wishing we arrived a tad later, it was a very nice dinner.

We were seated very promptly, under a minute. In that sense our timing was excellent considering the number of occupied tables. It was the volume from the many tables that distracted. I suppose we arrived a bit before the end of an early dinner boom. After we were there about 20 minutes, the volume was no longer an issue due to other diners departing. That's a fairly simple adjustment to the timing for me to remember.

The coral snake salsa was different but very interesting, a description which fit most of the menu. Definitely applicable to our selections when contrasted to the typical offerings about town.

Overall, we found it enjoyable to have a different take on the entrees. As to the sides, the only thing better than a bite of their smokey green beans was the next bite following. A sound compliment to the pork based burrito.

The room was largely occupied by an older crowd, including a few families.
There seemed to be a few in 20's and 30's, but mostly 45+, some with family in tow. Several well behaved children were sprinkled throughout the dining area, and that was very appreciated.

We did not visit the lower area toward the street, though it seemed fairly full as well.

I definitely see us returning.

anesthesiapro
04-30-2010, 07:30 AM
The only reason I go is to enjoy a beer out on the front patio. OKC has a significant lack of outdoor dining experiences. The service is terrible! I also happen to live in the area and would never travel from the suburbs to the city to eat at this joint. Overall, 1492 trumps the Iguana.

metro
04-30-2010, 08:26 AM
1492 over Iguana? seriously? to each his own, although both are good

Eep
04-30-2010, 08:48 AM
A couple tidbits that might make your return trip even more pleasant:

We were seated very promptly, under a minute. In that sense our timing was excellent considering the number of occupied tables.
While Iguana doesn't take reservations, they do offer call-ahead seating and are happy to tell you over the phone what the current wait time is.

The room was largely occupied by an older crowd, including a few families.
There seemed to be a few in 20's and 30's, but mostly 45+, some with family in tow. Several well behaved children were sprinkled throughout the dining area, and that was very appreciated.
If you prefer a totally child-free dining experience, ask for a bar table. They only seat customers 21+ in that area (and sometimes it's a little quieter in there as well).

kevinpate
04-30-2010, 02:09 PM
A couple tidbits that might make your return trip even more pleasant:

While Iguana doesn't take reservations, they do offer call-ahead seating and are happy to tell you over the phone what the current wait time is.

If you prefer a totally child-free dining experience, ask for a bar table. They only seat customers 21+ in that area (and sometimes it's a little quieter in there as well).

Did not know about call ahead, so thanks for that. Might be useful for a weekend trip. We did not need it last night, not at all. Sheesh, I've waited longer at a C store to pay for a coke than we waited for a table, lol. Most probably would of had a wait if we'd been a bit earlier. Woulda been worth it, so still no worries.

As packed as the parking lot was, it was a happy surprise to be seated about as fast as I could say two for dinner and turn to nab a Gazzette off the rack by the door.

And having kiddos there was definitely not unwelcome for a Poppa of three, and two GK's to boot.

It was just nice that the little smiling faces were smiling faces and brought up by parents who know table manners do still make a difference. No throwing stuff, no trying to run, no tantrums, just nice happy smiling faces.
I'll share a room with great behaved kiddos over a room of only adults just about anytime.

While I was somewhat expecting the place to be more of a younger crowd with far fewer family groups, that was simply a misconception on my part. If we had arrived and everyone around us were way closer in age to our young adult children, we wouldn't have left, but it might have been a tad less comfortable of an evening as we wouldn't really blend in with the crowd.

Good food, attentive staff, nice setting, all reasons for many return trips.

BoulderSooner
04-30-2010, 02:53 PM
1492 over Iguana? seriously? to each his own, although both are good

1492 is so much better than iquana and it is no close ....

mecarr
05-08-2010, 08:45 AM
1492 is so much better than iquana and it is no close ....

I think 1492 trumps Iguana, but I don't think 1492 is really that special either. If you are ever in Tulsa, try out Elote. It's a mexican restaurant that uses fresh, organic ingredients to produce healthy mexican entrees. Believe it or not, not every mexican dish has to be layered with cheese and grease.

betts
05-09-2010, 07:19 AM
I think Iguana has very fresh food, and I don't think either of them have greasy dishes. I personally love whatever they marinate their meat in for the chicken enchiladas. Coral snake salsa is to die for, as is their regular salsa. The green rice is also a fave of mine. I like 1492 as well, but pretty much go there for the duck enchiladas, which are amazing.

janejane
05-12-2010, 09:18 AM
The service at Iguana is usually good, except on Taco Tuesday...lol but they are sure to fix their mistakes if you notify them! I always speak up

chillid0g
05-25-2010, 02:41 AM
the service is fine, the food is good and the spot is quite cool. go eat teds if you dont like it.

OKCTalker
03-05-2012, 03:20 PM

metro
03-05-2012, 08:36 PM
Vague post

Pete
03-05-2012, 08:40 PM
Probably done quickly on his phone...

Seems perfectly clear to me.

Sure wish I knew what the heck was going on at NH Plaza. Anybody notice if they are getting close to opening the new grocery in the old Crescent Market space?

Steve
03-05-2012, 09:53 PM
Chica's was sold to Mason and Painter and they're reopening the restaurant as a second location for the Iguana.

OKCTalker
03-06-2012, 09:02 AM
Vague post

That's all I know. The post was intended to generate discussion.

Bullbear
03-07-2012, 03:01 PM
They have began cleaning up the place and hope to be open in 6 to 8 weeks. .going to be a Iguana "CAFE" more ala carte than the other IGUANA. Sounds promising and I am sure the food will be great as always.. Iguana is one of my Favorite places to eat and am there about once a week at least so will be nice to have another option even though both are close to home.

OKCTalker
03-14-2012, 09:00 PM
Just posted by warreng in Suburban Development:

Wednesday, March 14,2012
Iguana Mexican Grill opening second location at Nichols Hills Plaza.
by Gazette staff

Mexican food lovers barely will have time to miss the closing of Chicas Mexican Cafe in Nichols Hills Plaza, now that the Iguana Mexican Grill has announced plans to open a second location in Chicas’ old site at 6482 Avondale Drive.

Scheduled to open in the spring, the new Iguana location will offer a limited menu of what is offered at its restaurant at 9 N.W. Ninth in Automobile Alley. Five dinner specials will be available each week, along with its renowned array of tacos, burritos and mouth-watering salsas.

“The original Iguana, located on Western Avenue in Nichols Hills, was a family staple for this area of Oklahoma City,” said Robert Painter, who co-owns the restaurant along with Steve Mason. “Steve and I are thrilled to come back to the neighborhood where it all started.”

The Iguana Lounge closed its Western Avenue location several years ago before the brand was revived in 2009 as the Iguana Mexican Grill.

http://okgazette.com/oklahoma/m/#_Article

Libbymin
03-22-2012, 11:06 AM
Probably done quickly on his phone...

Seems perfectly clear to me.

Sure wish I knew what the heck was going on at NH Plaza. Anybody notice if they are getting close to opening the new grocery in the old Crescent Market space?

I'm not sure but I still don't totally understand the purpose of opening up a new grocery store, especially when they just opened up whole foods a block away. Getting rid of the Nichols Hills Drug store fountain was a terrible mistake IMO. That place was loved by many people and unlike Crescent, was actually a profitable place.

Pete
03-22-2012, 11:14 AM
I'm not sure but I still don't totally understand the purpose of opening up a new grocery store, especially when they just opened up whole foods a block away. Getting rid of the Nichols Hills Drug store fountain was a terrible mistake IMO. That place was loved by many people and unlike Crescent, was actually a profitable place.

There is more discussion about the grocery and the Plaza in general in the thread linked below:

http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=26757&page=3

OKCTalker
04-26-2012, 01:20 PM
Iguana Cafe is now open at NHP - I had lunch there today. It was unbelievably noisy inside, so we ate outdoors. There is a loud speaker (not loudspeaker) playing music above the tables, and the waitress agreed to turn it down for us. She also said that they plan to affix carpeting on interior table bottoms to absorb the sound. I had a taco salad which was fantastic, but it was served on an icy-cold plate. The waitress was attentive and personable, and left a bottle of tap water on the table so we could refill our own glasses.

Not great, but it sufficed for a quick, nutritious, flavorful lunch.

ljbab728
05-03-2012, 12:26 AM
http://newsok.com/iguana-cafe-opens-cinco-fiesta-planned-downtown/article/3671791

Pete
11-10-2014, 08:43 AM
The Iguana in Nichols Hills is closing as a restaurant and will continue to operate as a catering and events center:

https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t31.0-8/s960x960/10697211_1492846327633455_3146249288618199316_o.jp g

Bullbear
11-10-2014, 08:51 AM
They seem to be struggling a bit since their last change in management and complete turnover in staff so its not surprising that they closed that location as a dining option.

HangryHippo
11-10-2014, 08:54 AM
I hope they're able to get things turned around. I used to love Iguana, but it's been really hit or miss lately.

Bullbear
11-10-2014, 08:56 AM
I hope they're able to get things turned around. I used to love Iguana, but it's been really hit or miss lately.

yah I use to be there 1-2 times a week.. use to hit the nichols hills location every saturday for lunch actually. until they got rid of the GM and then most of the staff. I have been back twice since. both times were not good experiences. I miss the old staff and experience.

LakeEffect
11-10-2014, 09:51 AM
yah I use to be there 1-2 times a week.. use to hit the nichols hills location every saturday for lunch actually. until they got rid of the GM and then most of the staff. I have been back twice since. both times were not good experiences. I miss the old staff and experience.

Yep. The Auto Alley location has been long suffering... went back a couple weeks ago and had the worst experience yet. We decided to not come back unless big changes are made.

Rover
11-10-2014, 02:14 PM
The downtown Iguana was very marginal last time I was there about a month ago. If not for the still excellent Margaritas it would have been a bad experience. Having a couple drinks made the food taste better. :-)

Pete
11-10-2014, 02:15 PM
It's amazing how few good Mexican places there are in OKC.

Big opportunity for someone to do it right.

bchris02
11-10-2014, 02:20 PM
It's amazing how few good Mexican places there are in OKC.

Big opportunity for someone to do it right.

Personally I think Mexican food here is pretty good compared to back East. It may leave a lot to be desired though if you are used to California or Texas Mexican food.

Pete
11-10-2014, 02:25 PM
There are some good options at the dive-y end: Abel's & Casa Perico.

Then after that, what? For the masses, Ted's I guess. Maybe Abuelo's?

Iguana has been popular but to me it's just passable. Nice setting on 9th but otherwise I was not overly impressed.

What am I missing?

HangryHippo
11-10-2014, 02:30 PM
Personally I think Mexican food here is pretty good compared to back East. It may leave a lot to be desired though if you are used to California or Texas Mexican food.

There isn't a single place I can think of on the east coast that comes remotely close to what I would call Mexican food. California leaves a lot to be desired for me as well. But Texas does it right. And I have my haunts here in OKC that I can't go without.

sooner88
11-10-2014, 02:35 PM
1492 is Latin American, but it has plenty of familiar Mexican dishes. But I agree, all it takes is a trip down to Dallas/Ft. Worth to realize how few good/nice Mexican restaurants we have. I'm all for going to Margarita's, Abels, etc., but really surprising there aren't more of "nicer" places. I guess Mama Rojas is the only place that really fits that bill, but I was really underwhelmed the last time I went there.

bchris02
11-10-2014, 02:41 PM
Is Cantina Laredo any good? I rarely hear it get mentioned. I've had it in other markets and I enjoyed it pretty well. It is owned by El Chico though which is terrible Mexican food.

I agree that OKC needs an "upscale" Mexican restaurant. I was hoping Tamuzel would have been that but that concept was executed so poorly I really wonder what the owners were thinking. Mama Rojas was underwhelming last time I was there. I liked Ted's better.

Pete
11-10-2014, 02:46 PM
I believe that big gap is why Iguana has been so popular. What else competes with it? 1492 is probably the only place; maybe Mama Roja.

My sister suggested meeting at Pablano Grill last time I was in town and I was shocked by the interior. Just a simple bar with no real bar area; like someone decided to do it as cheaply as possible. At least Ted's offers great tortilla's and big portions. Not excited by either of those things but at least they are draws.

Not a big fan of chain restaurants but seems like there is a pretty big void here. Wouldn't be surprised to see Pappasito's step into it.

warreng88
11-10-2014, 02:50 PM
Iguana and Mama Roja's are my favorite Mexican food restaurants in the metro. I have never had a bad experience at either so I am a bit surprised to see others posting about Iguana not being good. I always go to Pablano over Ted's just because Ted's is always busy and Pablano is almost exactly the same and there is always less of a wait time.

Pete
11-10-2014, 02:57 PM
I haven't been to Mama Roja and I tend to be more favorable towards Hal Smith's places than some here, so I'll give it a try.

Really, most the time I go to a place like Iguana I just want a cold beer or Margarita with good chips and salsa; the entrees are not the big draw. I'd much rather have a nice, fun setting.

This is why I generally dislike Ted's (I know it's Hal's). Way too cramped and everything seems so rushed. And no bar (at least the ones I've seen).