View Full Version : Forum Ideas

venture
02-09-2009, 11:40 AM
Just some random thoughts.

Could we maybe get a Science and Technology forum to replace Web Building and Tech Talk? There really isn't a lot of new topic discussion there, and I think some discussions like weather and the volcanic threads would be better in someplace other than Current Events.

Also the Nose Bleed has been dead for 2 months and the Political Arena pretty much replaced it - maybe merge those two?

Boardroom to Bedroom has been dead since the end of November and really serves no purpose but to take up space - and you have the Singles Lounge that covers any relationship things.

Just some ideas. There seems to be an area where things can get cleaned up a bit more and organized.

gmwise
02-09-2009, 06:58 PM
good idea venture!

metro
02-10-2009, 07:57 AM
There seems to be an area where things can get cleaned up a bit more and organized.

I agree, also see the suggestions in the Urban Neighborhoods thread in this section. The site is do for an overhaul.

Thunder
02-10-2009, 10:22 AM
Nose Bleed and Board Room to the Bedroom sections are not really used because of the requirement of 500 posts to enter. That's the problem.

Also, another problem is that people are unsure of what is allowed or not (the content of language) to post in these places.

venture
02-10-2009, 10:58 AM
Oh people have no problem know what is allowed in those areas. LOL However, the bulk of the users have moved on and either have left the site or are posting elsewhere.

nik4411
02-10-2009, 07:57 PM
Out of curiosity where else would they be posting? Are there other forums similar to this one?

Karried
02-10-2009, 09:29 PM
LOL However, the bulk of the users have moved on and either have left the site or are posting elsewhere.

Or just changed their user names.<!-- / message -->

venture
02-15-2009, 02:36 PM
Bumping this to see if Pete could share his thoughts on this.

Lauri101
02-15-2009, 02:53 PM
I like the thought, venture!

Maybe "singles" coud be expanded to just be "relationships" - since not only single people have relationships.

And changing "Bricktown" to "Bricktown/Downtown" would be helpful. Or just roll it all into into the suburbia sub-forums.

OKCTalk is the main place I come to for information - it'd be good to have it cleaned up a bit and I'd be happy to help if needed.

metro
02-17-2009, 01:28 PM
any word from Pete or the mods yet?.....................................

Lauri101
02-17-2009, 04:43 PM
any word from Pete or the mods yet?.....................................

tap, tap, tap...
is this thing on?

:poke:

AFCM
02-17-2009, 04:56 PM
I'd like to see the OKCTalk page become more homepage-like and personalized. For example, today's weather/seven day outlook could exist on the top of the homepage. Breaking news, pertinent to OKC, could scroll underneath. These could be sponsored by NewsOK, kind of like an advertisement banner. The Breaking News scroll could state just the title of the story or score of a Thunder game and allow users to click on the stories that interest them, thus driving traffic to their site.

Additionally, I think having options to personalize the look and setup of OKCTalk would be cool, although they may not be feasible. Actually, nothing I wrote may not be feasible, but I thought they are worth consideration.

Thunder
02-17-2009, 07:26 PM
AFCM, you're talking about a portal page. It consumes more resources. I'm not sure Pete would want to do all of that.

venture
02-17-2009, 08:29 PM
Yeah, I've seen Pete around so if he could just drop a quick comment. If they need more help, I'm sure there are plenty of us with experience running these type of sites to chip in.

venture
02-22-2009, 07:39 PM
So any mods wanna comment since it seems Pete is MIA or something? lol

Martin
02-23-2009, 05:32 AM
our responses in this thread have been kinda sparse... but we are looking into all of your suggestions. -M

Midtowner
02-23-2009, 06:38 AM
our responses in this thread have been kinda sparse... but we are looking into all of your suggestions. -M

Drop the nosebleed and bedroom forums. No one uses them.

We need fewer forums, not more. Some other things, e.g., OKC Underground and the general OKC forum could be consolidated.

Also, how about integrating a Google Calendar (pretty easy to do, I think) and putting metro area cultural events on it?

OKCMallen
02-23-2009, 08:15 PM
Nose Bleed and Board Room to the Bedroom sections are not really used because of the requirement of 500 posts to enter. That's the problem.

Also, another problem is that people are unsure of what is allowed or not (the content of language) to post in these places.

I don't post there because they've never been unlocked for me despite requests.

Thunder
02-24-2009, 05:29 AM
I don't post there because they've never been unlocked for me despite requests.

You should be able to view it. There must be settings with the permissions granted for the group that you're in. The mod with knowledge and access will need to fix it.

Those two sections are rarely used, because it requires 500 posts, so basically most on the forum have no clue it ever exist.

Karried
02-24-2009, 11:01 AM
Thunder, have you ever moderated a board before? You seem so knowledgeable about moderator functions.

OKCMallen, check it now... I never received any requests.. try PM next time and I'll try to help you out.

We've been having issues with the board. Hang tight.

OKCMallen
02-24-2009, 12:08 PM
I PMed mods and admins several times after I hit 500 posts...I just PMed the wrong ones, I suppose! :)

Karried
02-24-2009, 01:33 PM
Can you see the Forums now? You're not missing much.. lol

Thunder
02-24-2009, 04:15 PM
Yes, Karried, I have knowledge with forums, maintaining them, setting them up, and all the works. I have never use vBulletin, but a lot of features and functions is similar.

venture
02-24-2009, 06:20 PM
Karrie has there been any word on the suggestions made here, or is the decision pretty much keep as is? I don't want to bump a thread and beat a dead horse if you guys already decided.

OKCMallen
02-24-2009, 07:02 PM
Can you see the Forums now? You're not missing much.. lol

I saw them, an dyou're right, not much going on.

I do tend to agree we need fewer forums, not more. Also, I think we let threads get WAY too long. You lose the conversation when a thread is 10+ pages...

Karried
02-24-2009, 09:21 PM
Venture, yes, we are working on some things behind the scenes.. thanks for all your suggestions.

Pete
02-26-2009, 08:59 AM
Hi all,

Sorry for my delay in responding.

We are currently working on upgrading the graphics and consolidating some forums and creating a few new ones.

Give us a couple of weeks and you should see some changes that I think will improve the site.

Lauri101
02-26-2009, 05:23 PM
Cool Pete - can't wait!

venture
02-27-2009, 12:18 AM
Thanks for the update Pete. Appreciate everything. If you guys need any help...don't be afraid to ask.

USG '60
03-05-2009, 12:56 PM
PLEASE, would it be possible to give easy access to the basic emoticons (the ones at the very bottom here, which only go into the title) and put the outlandish ones on the drop-down. This just seems so upside down. PLEASE!

venture
03-05-2009, 01:11 PM
Great job guys. Glad to see some fresh changes. : ) I second the emoticon comment.

Now we just need to get the vBulletin logo changed. ; )

Martin
03-05-2009, 01:13 PM
now we just need to get the vbulletin logo changed. ; )

we're on it. that's next on the agenda!

-M

Pete
03-05-2009, 01:15 PM
We'll be introducing custom graphics in the very near future; after we get the forums reorganized.

And I'll look into the emoticon issue, but please be patient as we make bigger changes.

venture
03-05-2009, 04:34 PM
I feel any pain you guys get to go through for the custom graphics. LOL Doing that on one of the sites I manage tonight. So....many....files....

And not to make things too much more complicated - any chance we can get a "Science and Technology" board instead of just "Tech Talk"? Any discussions those of us having on weather, volcanoes, earthquakes, etc...will really get buried under the Political threads with those being merged now.