View Full Version : Asian Diversity with our TV stations KOCO, KFOR

ILam
02-06-2009, 06:36 PM
I am professional and own my own medical clinic. I have been living in OKC
for the past 20 years. I have noticed during the past few years; that the population of professional Asian and Pacific Islanders has grown leaps and bounds.

I just dawned on me while watching Channel 5 and sometimes Channel 4 that they have some great anchors and reporters with diverse cultures.

Why has Fox 25 KOKH does not have a single Asian or Pacific Islanders in their staff. Are they too good to hire other minorities???

Just look at how the Asian District was about 5 years ago compared to today.

"Certainly all Oklahoma Citians are well acquainted with the excellently developing "Asian District" around the vicinity of Northwest 23rd and Classen ... how could one not have noticed the markers on street signs from Classen as far north as N.W. 36th Street"

It speaks for itself....

Just currious........... Any Thoughts

Dr Lam

Midtowner
02-06-2009, 07:12 PM
Doc, I can only speak from a couple of years in the broadcast journalism department at Central Oklahoma. There were hardly any Asians, but otherwise, the program was very diverse.

metro
02-09-2009, 09:53 AM
Dr. Lam, first off, thanks for all your hard work on the Gold Dome!!! Welcome to OKCTalk, I encourage you to read and interact regularly. You would be a true asset to this site and help keep it diverse as a well respected citizen in the Asian District.

Ironically, as a white guy not officially involved in any Asian District organizations, I have fought hard with the City and wrote letters/emails to get more money/development into the Asian District. You can see one of my other threads I created about "Why hasn't the City turned on the lights in the Asian District - literally!". It boggles my mind the lack of oversight on the city's part for the recent boulevard improvements and streetscaping. The lights have appeared to be finished for months now, but as you know have not been turned on at night, this is a safety issue and is just flat out embarrassing. Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-area-talk/15528-why-hasnt-city-turned-lights-asian-district-literally.html