View Full Version : grilling the pefect steak

westsidesooner
01-28-2009, 12:32 PM
For years and years I grilled steaks the same way my father did. No marinade, just swab butter and wishy-wookie (worcestershire sauce) on while grilling. They were always ok/good but lately I've been experimenting with different recipes. I've tried several bottled marinades, wine, garlic, and rubs, and I just can't seem to find the perfect flavoring I'm looking for. I'm always open to new ideas so I thought I'd ask you all how you prepare and cook your steaks. Your recipes for the perfect steak. What cut do you use and how long do you cook them (fast and flaming, or slow and steady) Sometimes my steaks tend to come out tough while other times they are really tender.....is that beacause of the meat cut or how long they're grilled?

Usually I cook mine after being marinated in red wine and garlic for several hours.......and buy either fillets or strip steaks. And I always use charcoal...

bandnerd
01-28-2009, 12:43 PM
I don't marinade. I don't really care for it with a steak. Now, if I'm making kabobs, then yeah, I'll marinade in lime, garlic, olive oil, and cumin, but otherwise I keep it simple.

I prefer fillets, because for awhile I found that the strips I got were tough. I do not have a grill of my own, and using the "community" grill skeeves me out, so I've devised a way indoors to get a great steak.

Always start with a steak that is not cold. Take it out of the fridge about 30 minutes or so before you plan to cook it. Room temperature meat will cook more evenly, and you'll avoid it being raw in the middle, especially with a thick cut steak.

I get a pan screaming hot--either cast iron or my little stainless pampered chef pan--and rub a tiny bit of olive oil on the steak, and then I sprinkle with kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper. I put the steak in the hot, hot pan. Turn on the vent. Let it cook on the one side and season the upside while it sears. After a few minutes, flip the steak--you'll know it's time because it should release evenly and will have a good caramelized "crust" on it. Cook the other side until it looks the same and releases easily.

Here is the semi-tricky part--a really thick steak will not be done by this point, so I pop it in my toaster/convection oven at 350 for about 6-8 minutes, depending on the thickness and just how done I want it. My husband likes them more medium, I like them quite medium rare. Now you can have some fun--our favorite thing is to put some crumbled blue cheese on the steak and put it under a broiler for about a minute until the cheese melts. Good and salty ;)

If you have a good piece of meat, it doesn't require all that marinading. Marinading is better for tougher pieces of meat that need some acid to break them down.

A good trick to learn is the touch test for doneness--found this once on the internet. I'm not going to take the time to explain it here but if you google it, you'll find it.

Happy grilling!

metro
01-28-2009, 01:16 PM
Two words: Truffle Butter

tuck
01-28-2009, 01:17 PM
Hotter the better. Try using a cast iron skillet to sear the steak and the finish in a 450 degree oven. Your steaks ar tough because of the cut and/or grade you are buying. Only use marinades on tougher cuts like skirt, flank and hanger....simple kosher salt and pepper always work. Use butters and sauces only for finishing.

Since you like Beef Tenerloin (Filets-7 ounces): heat oven to 450, heat skillet to smoke point then sear filet on one side for 4 minutes for a nice crust, turn it over for 2 minutes. Then place the skillet in the oven for 8-10 minutes for mid- rare. Let stand for 10-12 minutes before cutting.

Enjoy!!

MadMonk
01-28-2009, 02:04 PM
I don't usually marinade good steaks, but a dry rub before grilling is a good way to enhance and or give some different flavor.

My chile dry rub (works for steaks, pork chops, whatever):

(This is enough for a couple NY strips. Adjust as necessary for more portions)

2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper (optional or to taste)

I like to put the steaks and the rub in a zipper-type plastic baggie and toss it around to coat the steaks. It's less messy that way.

Grill them to your liking.

This is making me hungry! :hungry:

justinm
01-28-2009, 02:36 PM
Marinated Steak
Serves : 2 - 4
Prep. Time : 2:00
2 - 4 beef steaks - any cut suitable for grilling
1 cup beer
1 Tbls. packed brown sugar
1 tsp. seasoned salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. monosodium glutamate (MSG) OR un-flavored meat tenderizer
-Place steaks in a shallow pan, pour beer over, and marinate for 1 hour in the refrigerator.
-Remove steaks from beer; discard beer.
-Combine remaining ingredients and rub evenly over steaks.
-Marinate steaks for 1/2 hour in the refrigerator.
-Grill steaks over a medium-high flame until desired doneness.

Martin
01-28-2009, 03:10 PM
i don't marinate better cuts oof beef, either. before grilling, i just rub some olive oil on the steaks and then sprinkle with kosher salt & cracked pepper. other than that, i sometimes sprinkle on some dried rosemary or red pepper flakes. as far as cuts go, i like bone-in ribeye.

i grill with propane... i know that's supposed to be a sin, but it doesn't taste bad to me... the flavor doesn't have as much character as charcoal, i admit, but it's much easier. for steaks, i get the grill as hot as i can on all sides. after the grill is heated, i sear the steaks for a couple minutes on each side. then i turn down the flame on one side of the grill and finish them with indirect heat to the desired doneness. sometimes i'll put a chunk of hickory on the grill to impart a hint of smokiness.

i've never tried pan-searing a steak but coincidentally i've been thinking about trying my hand at it...

-M

bandnerd
01-28-2009, 03:11 PM
Necessity is the mother of invention, mmm ;) While I love the taste of a fire-kissed steak, I don't really have any choices!

MadMonk
01-28-2009, 03:39 PM
I cook with propane too mmm. I have a really small charcoal grill, but it's too small to do anything in useful quantities. I love the convenience and I don't have a problem with the taste of food cooked on my grill (I can't really taste anything added by propane), but I do love the flavor of charcoal grilled food. I may have to get a larger charcoal grill this spring... :tiphat::)

danielf1935
01-28-2009, 04:19 PM
Good quality steaks do not require a marinade, no propane, only natural, chunk coal and soaked hickory chips.

angel27
01-28-2009, 05:34 PM
I'm partial to a terriaki marinade on charcoal grilled ribeyes. Theoretically, dry rubs make better sense to me. Or just plain salt & pepper. But most everyone likes my terriaki steaks and they are my favorite.

This recipe was given to me at a restaurant years ago: 1 c brown sugar, 1 small can pineapple juice, 1 c hot water, 1/4 cup sherry, ~ 1 T scappings/slices from a stalk of frozen ginger (how I keep mine), 1 cup soy sauce, 1/2 T garlic. I mix this together & freeze it in several portions. I marinade the steaks about an hour in enough mix to cover one side of the steaks, turning the bag several times during the hour. Cook the steaks over hot greyed coals to desired doneness.

Sometime soon I'm going to try some truffle butter from Market C though.

kevinpate
01-28-2009, 05:39 PM
We found the perfect way to cook steak a few years back. We told our elder son, when he turned 16, thegrill was his if he felt up to it. One of the best decisions I ever made, until he was old enough to move away from us. The lad could, and still can, cook!

braums manager
01-28-2009, 06:42 PM
i use dill weed i know its strange but you will be amazed at what dill will do

ddavidson8
01-28-2009, 06:48 PM
What's a typical grade of steak found at major grocers?

Oh GAWD the Smell!
01-28-2009, 09:40 PM
i don't marinate better cuts oof beef, either. before grilling, i just rub some olive oil on the steaks and then sprinkle with kosher salt & cracked pepper. other than that, i sometimes sprinkle on some dried rosemary or red pepper flakes. as far as cuts go, i like bone-in ribeye.

i grill with propane... i know that's supposed to be a sin, but it doesn't taste bad to me... the flavor doesn't have as much character as charcoal, i admit, but it's much easier. for steaks, i get the grill as hot as i can on all sides. after the grill is heated, i sear the steaks for a couple minutes on each side. then i turn down the flame on one side of the grill and finish them with indirect heat to the desired doneness. sometimes i'll put a chunk of hickory on the grill to impart a hint of smokiness.

i've never tried pan-searing a steak but coincidentally i've been thinking about trying my hand at it...

-M

Although I only cook with charcoal and/or wood for my steaks (propane for most other stuff)...That's about my procedure. 4 minutes or so each side, and then until it's med-rare/rare. Usually only takes the one flip though. Salt, pepper, and maybe a touch of garlic rubbed in there...That's about all I like on my steak.

Try this next time for your hickory flavor...Get some of those hickory chips (or whatever "flavor" of wood chips you like) and fold up some foil like a Hot Pocket with the chips inside. Poke a few holes in it and put some water in there with them. Toss that on your coals/burner. The water keeps them from just burning up, and the holes will just POUR hickory smoke out the whole time you're cooking.

Now I want to try the indoor method.

And NOW I'm starving because of this thread.

tuck
01-29-2009, 07:56 AM
What's a typical grade of steak found at major grocers?

You will find a few "choice" cuts, but mainly "select".
Grades in order from best to worst: prime, choice, select, commercial

metro
01-29-2009, 08:26 AM
The key to a good steak is the method several mentioned. Flip the steak only once. You want to sear both sides well to lock in the natural flavor and moisture. The rest, is up to your personal preference.

westsidesooner
01-29-2009, 12:44 PM
Alot of great recipes and ideas. I'm planning on grilling out this weekend (its supposed to be 65 Saturday) and plan to try some of your suggestions. Maybe we should have the great OKCtalk cookoff? I don't cook steaks inside very much but the pan searing method would be great to get me through the winter. Just reading some of your posts has made me really hungry. Thanks everyone!!