View Full Version : The New I-40 (Construction Updates)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

SkyWestOKC
09-12-2011, 05:55 PM
The I-44 NB to I-40 EB ramp has been moved over onto the new pavement. It merges on to the existing I-40 just before the bridge. Was very very smooth. :D

dmoor82
09-12-2011, 10:32 PM
The I-44 NB to I-40 EB ramp has been moved over onto the new pavement. It merges on to the existing I-40 just before the bridge. Was very very smooth. :D

I saw this today when I got off of work,I was expecting the usual merge and when I saw cars coming out of the chute further down,then I realized what moved.

Larry OKC
09-21-2011, 02:05 AM
Urban posted some background info about the reason behind the relocated I-40 only being partially below grade instead of completely as originally intended over in a thread he started about a tunnel for the MAPS 3 park. I didn't want to derail that thread, so am posting over here...

Urban: besides the water table issue, wasn't there something about environmental "sludge" that was encountered (over a former oil well/refinery/storage facility or something like that? Rather than clean it up, they just didn't go down that far? Doing this strictly from memory but it doesn't seem too far out of the realm of possibility since there were 2 EPA superfund sites in the Fort Smith Junction area. Steve?

ON EDIT: Don't know if this was discovered before the decision was made to not go completely below grade or not, or if it got cleaned up or just paved over instead???

http://www.news9.com/story/8825129/i-40-construction-delayed?clienttype=printable
Channel 9 (8/11/08)

OKLAHOMA CITY - Environmental concerns are slowing down construction of the Interstate 40 relocation project.

Work halted Monday on the Interstate 40 relocation project after workers discovered a sludge pit. The pit from an old oil refinery was discovered near Shields Boulevard and the site of the new Interstate 40.
The area was repeatedly surveyed at least three times over a seven-year period. The Department of Environmental Quality reported Parsons, Brinckerhoff, Quade and Douglas was the company that conducted the initial site assessments in 1998, an updated report in 2002, and a detailed study of the areas in 2005.

None of the reports submitted by the company mentioned oil or sludge in the surveyed area.

In January 2007, another company hired by ODOT found excess levels of chemicals near the site, and another independent study confirmed the discovery in March 2007.

"That's when we discovered it had been an oil field refinery site," said John Bowman, ODOT project development engineer. "This was located in the area of their sludge pond."

Investigators think the sludge was present as far back as the 1920s. The state now has to clean up what was left behind, which will delay the construction project. ...

Am sure the Oklahoman reported on it back then, but no results for them were in the first 3 pages of the Google search. Just this one and a nearly identical report from Tulsa's Channel 6. Steve?

Bellaboo
09-28-2011, 08:26 AM
It seems to me that a westbound bridge over Agnew needs to be started pretty soon, does anyone know of a start time for this ?

OKCisOK4me
09-28-2011, 11:39 AM
It seems to me that a westbound bridge over Agnew needs to be started pretty soon, does anyone know of a start time for this ?

It won't be until they transfer current eastbound traffic elsewhere cause its totally in the way right now.

Watson410
09-28-2011, 10:15 PM
All of the paving contracts are assigned and underway. I'd guess maybe 3-4 months, that's just a prediction though.

Bellaboo
09-29-2011, 07:52 AM
It looks if they could close the Agnew exit then there would be enough room. I thought maybe once the Penn bridge opened then that would happen and we'd see the bridge start.

jn1780
10-06-2011, 06:52 PM
Work is progressing fast. They diverted the eastbound lanes at the Dallas junction last night and today they were already putting up steel for the Lincoln bridge and were breaking up the old pavement.

OKCisOK4me
10-07-2011, 01:25 AM
Work is progressing fast. They diverted the eastbound lanes at the Dallas junction last night and today they were already putting up steel for the Lincoln bridge and were breaking up the old pavement.

Huh?? The old pavement, where? Pics?

Bellaboo
10-07-2011, 05:48 AM
They are tying in the new I-40 with the old I-40 at the East connection (Dallas junction). They should have all of the large beams over the East bound lanes installed today. I drove through there at 4:30 yesterday and they were setting the 3rd beam.

OKCisOK4me
10-07-2011, 11:00 AM
Right, but they haven't diverged all eastbound traffic to the new highway yet. That's the only way they'll ever be able to do the westbound bridge over Agnew.

Bellaboo
10-07-2011, 01:58 PM
This will be interesting to see how they pull it off. They built a new westbound bridge over May, I've been to the Foward I-40 site and it shows in pretty good detail all of the connections. I 'd like for them to move us on over to the new road ASAP......

jn1780
10-07-2011, 10:29 PM
Right, but they haven't diverged all eastbound traffic to the new highway yet. That's the only way they'll ever be able to do the westbound bridge over Agnew.

I was talking about the area by the new Lincoln bridge where the new I-40 ties into the old I-40. Traffic now shifts to the left and their now in the process of demolishing and rebuilding that stretch of road from I-235 to where they left off on the new I-40 pavement.

MDot
10-07-2011, 11:06 PM
I was talking about the area by the new Lincoln bridge where the new I-40 ties into the old I-40. Traffic now shifts to the left and their now in the process of demolishing and rebuilding that stretch of road from I-235 to where they left off on the new I-40 pavement.

I drove on it tonight so I get what you're saying.

ctchandler
10-08-2011, 10:15 AM
I just heard about a "sink hole"? on the new part of I-40, anybody else hear that? It was a comment on KTOK but not a joke.
C. T.

jn1780
10-08-2011, 10:46 AM
I just heard about a "sink hole"? on the new part of I-40, anybody else hear that? It was a comment on KTOK but not a joke.
C. T.

This maybe?

http://newsok.com/article/3610255#disqus_thread

It doesn't look like it happen on the new part of I-40. Looks like it was the temporary asphalt lanes that had the sinkhole. They don't spend that much time grading and compacting for a road that is only used for a year or two.

http://photos.newsok.com/2/showimage/1527932/gallery_photo
Photo by Chris Landsberger

Bellaboo
10-09-2011, 08:57 AM
It was the merge lanes where South bound I-44 meets East bound I-40, but was actually one of the I-40 lanes.

ctchandler
10-09-2011, 11:06 AM
Thanks, that makes more sense.
C. T.

SSEiYah
10-10-2011, 04:50 PM
Does anyone know if the speed limit is going to be 70MPH going thru the city as talked about on the Wikipedia Article?

The new Crosstown will have ten lanes for traffic traveling at 70 miles per hour (110 km/h)

Snowman
10-10-2011, 05:10 PM
Does anyone know if the speed limit is going to be 70MPH going thru the city as talked about on the Wikipedia Article?

The new Crosstown will have ten lanes for traffic traveling at 70 miles per hour (110 km/h)

One article I read it sounded like it was designed so driving 70 mph would be safe but would likely not be the posted limit. Given most people drive 5 to 10 over the posted limit it makes sense to plan for what people do anyway.

MDot
10-10-2011, 05:38 PM
One article I read it sounded like it was designed so driving 70 mph would be safe but would likely not be the posted limit. Given most people drive 5 to 10 over the posted limit it makes sense to plan for what people do anyway.

True. That's actually pretty smart on their behalf. I usually go about 5 over and rarely do I pass people cause they're all going the same speed as me, and sometimes people will go a little faster than me.

jn1780
10-10-2011, 07:47 PM
This will be interesting to see how they pull it off. They built a new westbound bridge over May, I've been to the Foward I-40 site and it shows in pretty good detail all of the connections. I 'd like for them to move us on over to the new road ASAP......

I'm curious if that westbound bridge is finished or not. They may demolish the center span that eastbound currently uses and add a lane or two to the newer westbound bridge.

OKCisOK4me
10-10-2011, 08:40 PM
I'm curious if that westbound bridge is finished or not. They may demolish the center span that eastbound currently uses and add a lane or two to the newer westbound bridge.

Most likely if they do that, westbound traffic will be squeezed down and diverted to the new eastbound side.

Snowman
10-10-2011, 10:25 PM

Their is enough room for the new weatbound bridge itself to fit without destroying the bridge first but to do so with the old eastbound bridge and traffic going west still operating will complicate the foundation of the new westbound lanes just west of the bridge. The new eastbound bridge can already accommodate 7 lanes in it's normal configuration if they temporarily use both the breakdown land and the right shoulder.

Thunder
10-11-2011, 04:40 AM
Guys, just be patience and wait for it all to be completed, then feel free to drive on it when allowed.

jn1780
10-11-2011, 02:49 PM
Their is enough room for the new weatbound bridge itself to fit without destroying the bridge first but to do so with the old eastbound bridge and traffic going west still operating will complicate the foundation of the new westbound lanes just west of the bridge. The new eastbound bridge can already accommodate 7 lanes in it's normal configuration if they temporarily use both the breakdown land and the right shoulder.

Not sure if were taking about the same bridge. I was taking about the westbound bridge at May Avenue that they built way back at the beginning of the project. Surely it will have more lanes than it does now. The new eastbound(under construction at the time of this image) is almost as big as the current eastbound and westbound put together.

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/3299/i40andmay.png

Bellaboo
10-11-2011, 07:27 PM
jn1780 -

I'd like to know about the new west bound bridge over Agnew - the new east bound bridge has been up for a good year, but it looks to me that they will have to close the East bound exit to Agnew to have room for construction. That's unless they somehow divert the traffic.

OKCisOK4me
10-11-2011, 09:18 PM
guys, just be patience and wait for it all to be completed, then feel free to drive on it when allowed.

nooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

rcjunkie
10-12-2011, 04:00 AM
nooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

We want our new I-40 and we want it now!!

MDot
10-12-2011, 11:08 AM
We want our new I-40 and we want it now!!

It's my money and I need it NOW!!

Urban Pioneer
10-16-2011, 08:38 AM
I drove it the other day. The posted speed limit was 10 mph...

jn1780
10-26-2011, 03:14 PM
I drove it the other day. The posted speed limit was 10 mph...

Have you seen the central span lately? Just wondering how much progress they have made on that section. If I was judging progress on the eastern and western sections alone, I would say their a couple of months from being able to shift eastbound over.

Snowman
10-26-2011, 03:21 PM
Have you seen the central span lately? Just wondering how much progress they have made on that section. If I was judging progress on the eastern and western sections alone, I would say their a couple of months from being able to shift eastbound over.

In one of the meetings it sounded like they wanted to be able to do divert traffic in case another large chunk falls out of the old crosstown by January-ish but it would still going to be mid 2012 before they would expect to be moving traffic over if no real incidences happen with the old one.

jn1780
10-26-2011, 04:01 PM
In one of the meetings it sounded like they wanted to be able to do divert traffic in case another large chunk falls out of the old crosstown by January-ish but it would still going to be mid 2012 before they would expect to be moving traffic over if no real incidences happen with the old one.

That's before any traffic at all is shifted over, right? The westbound bridge at Agnew will take at least six months I'm guessing. So that would mean late 2012 until everything is shifted.

Snowman
10-26-2011, 04:08 PM
That's before any traffic at all is shifted over, right? The westbound bridge at Agnew will take at least six months I'm guessing. So that would mean late 2012 until everything is shifted.

The details were not elaborated on but what I expected was that both lanes would go on the new eastbound bridge until the westbound one is finished. It is 5 normal lanes with two spare on each side for breakdown, so at least 3 each way with comfortable room on each side could be done.

Pete
10-26-2011, 04:33 PM
ODOT has done a terrible job keeping people informed and updating their website.

No new photos or videos for over six months, right when there is actually a lot of activity taking place.

They always blame funding for delays and cost overruns but it seems pretty obvious they aren't particularly good even at things that are completely within their control.

jn1780
10-26-2011, 04:55 PM
ODOT has done a terrible job keeping people informed and updating their website.

No new photos or videos for over six months, right when there is actually a lot of activity taking place.

They always blame funding for delays and cost overruns but it seems pretty obvious they aren't particularly good even at things that are completely within their control.

I guess whoever left ODOT was the only person who cared about updating the 40 Forward website, apparently.

soonerliberal
10-26-2011, 04:58 PM
Not to mention the department of transportation website is vintage 1995...

MDot
10-26-2011, 04:59 PM
I guess whoever left ODOT was the only person who cared about updating the 40 Forward website, apparently.

Seriously. I get on there sometimes just hoping for an update but everytime I try to, it's the same as it's always been. Very frusterating. Atleast we know it'll open sometime next year, given that something absolutely crushing doesn't happen.

Snowman
10-26-2011, 05:05 PM

I suspect that the i40 crosstown website only had resources due to how controversial it had been earlier on, as the possibility of court rulings or political will to change the path dwindled so did any need they felt to keep it up. According to it's (http://www.40forward.com/building_crosstown/timeline.aspx) timeline no work or contracts have happened since 2010.

CaptDave
10-26-2011, 08:04 PM

I apologize in advance for this ..... but is ODOT good at anything??

Road maintenance? No.
Bridge maintenance? No.
Cost estimation for projects? No.
Understanding there are modes of transportation other than highways? No.
Public relations? No.

Thunder
10-26-2011, 08:27 PM

They are aware of OKCTalk so I bet they figured that we all will keep posting pictures while they play on the work clock. They want us to do it free so they don't have to pay someone to go out there for pix and update their outdated site.

MDot
10-26-2011, 09:03 PM
They are aware of OKCTalk so I bet they figured that we all will keep posting pictures while they play on the work clock. They want us to do it free so they don't have to pay someone to go out there for pix and update their outdated site.

They're not that smart. (I kid)

mike1k
10-27-2011, 09:06 PM
Heard from a very reliable source that we will be driving on I 40 by the end of the year. I hope so.....

Thunder
10-27-2011, 09:19 PM
Heard from a very reliable source that we will be driving on I 40 by the end of the year. I hope so.....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I highly doubt that. :-)

mike1k
10-27-2011, 09:47 PM
No need to laugh.......when it happens I expect an apology. My source can't be any closer to the project.

MDot
10-27-2011, 10:31 PM

If you're source is right, I will become your's and his bestfriend. Not that my friendship is needed of course.

jn1780
10-28-2011, 12:20 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I highly doubt that. :-)

Doesn't sound all that crazy. I noticed they already had the road graded and the bottom layer of asphalt put in place over where the new roadway merges with the old roadway. It will probably take them a month to finish that section.

I find myself scratching my head on what could possibly take them additional half year to complete other than all the ramps and bridges that has to be built after everything is shifted.

MDot
10-28-2011, 12:26 AM
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised really either if we were driving on the new I-40 by years end.

Urban Pioneer
10-28-2011, 06:45 AM
I wouldn't either. Apparently they are paying the contractors a significant of money for every day they finish early. They are inspecting the existing I-40 every 14 days keeping their fingers crossed that the bridge deck can hold up without a major failure before they can switch traffic over.

Even the Skydance Bridge project is being expedited because of this. Generally dry/warm weather has helped as well.

Bellaboo
10-28-2011, 07:16 AM
I think I read somewhere or saw on the news last month that they could possible have it open by years end. Still need to start the westbound over Agnew bridge. But someone mentioned that they could run both directions on the eastbound bridge until it was complete and tied in.

shavethewhales
10-28-2011, 09:34 AM
The plan is to have it open by Dec. 21st, I believe. Everyday that it isn't ready by then means big money lost for the contractors involved.

BoulderSooner
10-28-2011, 09:39 AM
the east bound side is close to being 100% finished

Pete
10-28-2011, 09:45 AM
Several recent press releases from ODOT all say mid-2012 before traffic will be switched over and that ancillary construction will continue for years after.

Hope they are just try to keep expectations low but given the way this project has proceeded, I'm not going to hold my breath.

KayneMo
10-30-2011, 05:52 AM
I went on a tour of the Skydance Bridge (in it's construction process) with one of the designers, and he said the bridge HAS to be put in place before December 20 this year. It's crucial to have it in place by then because that's when I-40 is planning to open.

MDot
10-30-2011, 08:24 AM
Sounds like they're serious about this whole December 21st opening date.

Bellaboo
10-30-2011, 08:29 AM
" I went on a tour of the Skydance Bridge (in it's construction process) with one of the designers, and he said the bridge HAS to be put in place before December 20 this year. It's crucial to have it in place by then because that's when I-40 is planning to open. "

Did you happen to get to see it while under construction ??? If so, how does the skin look ?

KayneMo
10-31-2011, 12:02 AM
I sure did! It wasn't painted when we looked at it. The "bird" of the bridge will have (what the designers called it) "feathers." I'm not sure on how to describe it, but they are steel components that jut in and out all along the bird to give it a sense of movement. It'll look really neat!

BoulderSooner
10-31-2011, 07:02 AM
Several recent press releases from ODOT all say mid-2012 before traffic will be switched over and that ancillary construction will continue for years after.

Hope they are just try to keep expectations low but given the way this project has proceeded, I'm not going to hold my breath.

i believe that the mid-2012 date is for traffic in both directions to be started ... the east bound side will be open much much sooner

bombermwc
11-02-2011, 06:55 AM
Can you even open one side and not the other? I thought the current I-40 blocked several of the ramp or access locations for the new road? Heck, eastbound is the only way i go when i'm on 40 (240 west in the morning, 40 east some evenings on the way to the gym), so it's great for me.... :)