View Full Version : The New I-40 (Construction Updates)

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

mburlison
08-10-2010, 06:44 AM
Maybe some of you math/engineer types can estimate from how far out (given elevation from west, north, south, east) one will be able to see the new Devon building... would be interesting to speculate.

Platemaker
08-10-2010, 08:59 AM
If anyone has taken the new Western Ave. or Exchange Ave. bridges across the new highway you'll see that we have gained cool new views of downtown. Penn, Exchange, Wester.... and I guess Walker and Robinson will all be nice views. I wonder if since the highway will only be 6 feet depressed through C2S that Walker and Robinson will need to be higher that originally proposed? That would be interesting... triple bridges at that that spot. Walker - Skydance - and Robinson.

LordGerald
08-10-2010, 10:23 AM
I took a tour of the new I-40 and the most spectacular view of downtown comes from the new road eastbound (from the west interchange) as you exit over the new build to the future boulevard. I actually have a picture of it, but it doesn't do it justice, so you'll have to just wait and see.

OKCisOK4me
08-11-2010, 02:23 PM
So I didn't see any other threads with this information and since some of it has to do with the Crosstown project, I'll just throw it in here even though it's more of a statewide thing:

Oklahoma officials approve road work plan
The state Transportation Department approved its eight-year roadwork plan. The plan calls for improvements to the Broadway Extension as well as nearly 650 bridge projects.

Read more: http://www.newsok.com/article/3484233?searched=%244%20billion&custom_click=search#ixzz0wKU5Hh7g

kevinpate
08-11-2010, 02:39 PM
So I didn't see any other threads with this information and since some of it has to do with the Crosstown project, I'll just throw it in here even though it's more of a statewide thing:

Oklahoma officials approve road work plan
The state Transportation Department approved its eight-year roadwork plan. The plan calls for improvements to the Broadway Extension as well as nearly 650 bridge projects.

Read more: http://www.newsok.com/article/3484233?searched=%244%20billion&custom_click=search#ixzz0wKU5Hh7g

Did not see a reference to the BLVD. in the article. Anyone know if it is included, or is it still not included, in the 8 year plan?

OKCisOK4me
08-11-2010, 04:52 PM
I do not believe it is. Someone posted a comment with your very question and I replied to him on there.

kevinpate
08-11-2010, 05:58 PM
I was hopeful it might of been added, but won't feign surprise if it is still an unlisted project. As much hoopla as OKC's mayor has made on how important it is to time with the C2S park, it probably stings a bit for it to still not be listed. Oh well, fortunately, even fast food tacos can ease some pains some of the time.

Larry OKC
08-11-2010, 09:14 PM
Did not see a reference to the BLVD. in the article. Anyone know if it is included, or is it still not included, in the 8 year plan?

I didn't see any mention of it either but here is an update on the completion date of the new I-40 (think from the same article)

...The project is expected to cost more than $650 million and be open to traffic in late 2012. ...

jn1780
08-18-2010, 03:35 PM
It looks like were about to see more work on the eastern end of the project. They will soon begin construction on the new Lincoln/Byers bridge that goes over I-40 and a new intersection near the southbound I-35 on-ramp from Reno. Also, they will continue paving the new I-40 eastward into the I-235/I-40/I-35 interchange which will involve lane detours and temporary pavement I imagine.

http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/newsmedia/press/2010/10-029_crosstown_paving.pdf

There are also two more paving contracts that will be awarded next month.

warreng88
08-22-2010, 07:07 AM
Oklahoma City's Interstate 40 Crosstown project set for 2012 completion
New interstate expected to be complete by 2012
Published: August 22, 2010
A project to improve Interstate 40 south of downtown Oklahoma City is on track to be completed in 2012.

Portions of the $650 million project to build a new route for the interstate have already been completed. Bridge structures can be seen along the 4.5-mile route between May Avenue and the I-40 junction with Interstate 235.

Bridge structures will link up with the new roadway when it's complete, said Brenda Perry, spokeswoman for the state Transportation Department.

While some work will remain along the new route, motorists should be able to drive on the new I-40 by 2012, Perry said.

Moving and replacing the existing lanes of eastbound and westbound I-40 have been discussed since the early 1990s. The elevated roadway was built in the 1960s and was designed to hold about 76,000 vehicles per day, Perry said. Officials estimate about 120,000 vehicles a day now travel on the road.

The project also will include a new six-lane boulevard from Pennsylvania Avenue to Lincoln Boulevard. Officials are waiting for funding for the boulevard, which will be constructed after traffic moves to the new I-40 route, Perry said. It is expected to cost about $80 million and be completed within two years. A combination of state and federal funding has paid for the project, which has been under construction since November 2005.

Read more: http://newsok.com/oklahoma-citys-interstate-40-crosstown-project-set-for-2012-completion/article/3485734?custom_click=pod_headline_politics#ixzz0xL 7dHsOP

Larry OKC
08-22-2010, 04:49 PM
From the ULI final report, they mentioned reducing the width of the Boulevard to no more than 110 feet. Russel Clause (sp) with the OKC planning dept mentioned that ODOT requires 6 lanes and that ULI recommended 2 of those be used for parking to make it more pedestrian friendly.

betts
08-22-2010, 07:55 PM
Why would ODOT require 6 lanes?

Jesseda
08-22-2010, 08:06 PM
because it will be mainly the main exit that leads into the downtown area

Larry OKC
08-22-2010, 10:33 PM
Why would ODOT require 6 lanes?

Good question and the report may have more details (if anyone has a link where we can download it, please post) and Mr. Clausse (sp) didn't elaborate...he just kind of threw it our there....(this was during the last Council meeting)

Larry OKC
08-30-2010, 12:04 AM
full story here:
http://newsok.com/downtown-boulevard-included-in-oklahomas-transportation-plan/article/3490026?custom_click=headlines_widget

Downtown boulevard included in Oklahoma's transportation plan (Oklahoman, 8/30/10)

Officials recently announced the boulevard, expected to cost about $80 million, has been funded. Mayor Mick Cornett said it gives the city reason to be optimistic that the boulevard can be finished as planned in 2014.

lasomeday
08-30-2010, 09:46 AM
$80 million for less than a mile of road. That is insane!

OKC@heart
08-30-2010, 10:05 AM
Well I will hold my breath and wait to see more accurate renderings of what they have in mind when they use the words "Pedestrian Friendly" and hope it is not 100% automobile centric as it needs to be more about the amenities for the pedestrian so that it will create a draw for the needed supporting retail, hotel, residential and all other types of things that would hopefully come along with the new blvd. 80 mil seems a lot for the length, but having to remove or work around concrete piers that no doubt go far into the earth has to be expensive. Like I said initially I don't hold out a great deal of hope for this, but my sense of optimism has me holding off judgement until something more formal comes out to show us what they have in mind. I really hope they will take the reccomendations of the ULI and reduce the width!

okclee
08-30-2010, 10:15 AM
Has anyone seen the "pedestrian friendly" intersection at memorial and Penn?

There's nice park benches along with sidewalks and wrought iron railing that runs under the overpass. I can't tell you how many people I see using this "pedestrian friendly" area.

Rover
08-30-2010, 11:08 AM
Memorial and Penn has no bearing on the boulevard. First, none of the shopping areas promote walking from one to the other. They have parking about 10 ft from the front door. Oklahoman's will drive 200 ft from one business to another rather than walk. The reason you don't see people using the walkways at Mem and Penn has nothing to do with the design. And, I imagine the people at BoA would frown on people parking there and walking over to Texas Roadhouse for the evening.

OKC@heart
08-30-2010, 11:31 AM
Has anyone seen the "pedestrian friendly" intersection at memorial and Penn?

There's nice park benches along with sidewalks and wrought iron railing that runs under the overpass. I can't tell you how many people I see using this "pedestrian friendly" area.

Well if you seriously are comparing Memorial and Penn with the Blvd....that is oh yeah Right downtown. Then I don't have much more to say to you. Kinda apples and oranges to say the least, plus I like the sidewalks that cover probably 60 linear feet at the intersection corners and then dissapear, that will get 'em walking all day...plus there they will need the park benches so that those who do brave the hike through the fields will have a place to recover...So most will not be surprised that just throwing some park benches at a decidedly non urban area does not generate magical pedestrian traffic.

Kerry
08-30-2010, 11:45 AM
Maybe some of you math/engineer types can estimate from how far out (given elevation from west, north, south, east) one will be able to see the new Devon building... would be interesting to speculate.

Someone on OKCtalk already did it but have no idea where to find it. Most travelers will be able to see Devon Tower before they see an OKC city limit sign, and that says a lot.

OKCisOK4me
08-30-2010, 01:43 PM
Someone on OKCtalk already did it but have no idea where to find it. Most travelers will be able to see Devon Tower before they see an OKC city limit sign, and that says a lot.

Third post down on this page:

http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=19439&page=93

lasomeday
08-30-2010, 04:11 PM
Lets be clear here. This boulevard is going to be a high speed on and off ramp for the interstate. Don't expect any retail or residential to work. The city will push it but it will fail miserably!

ljbab728
08-30-2010, 10:21 PM
$80 million for less than a mile of road. That is insane!

Actually, the new boulevard will run from around Agnew to Lincoln. That's about 3 miles. With demolition and reconstruction in an urban area $80 million isn't out of line.

HOT ROD
08-30-2010, 11:41 PM
also remember there is work to be done with the rail tracks and likely there might be some sort of tie in with the rail center being located in the general vacinity. Im happy that it's funded, not let's get movin'.

Larry OKC
08-31-2010, 12:57 AM
Was hoping it DIDN'T get funded because I still haven't seen a NEED for another street downtown and no one (the Mayor included) has demonstrated what the NEED is. Nearly every article I have read on it says the Boulevard will follow the same path as the current I-40. Has no one looked at a map? It isn't straight! If those articles are correct, we are going to have a new road literally within a few feet and some very odd angles of existing roads. But I digress...if you are going to spend $80M on something there should be some sort of NEED involved. The things the City is envisioning along the Boulevard, isn't going to happen according to the ULI folks, so why have it there at all? We have had a few discussions about the Boulevard and the consensus seemed to be that it just wasn't needed and a waste of money (that could be better spent elsewhere). At this point though, they have spent and built things (ramps etc) as if it was going in all along and the would look rather odd if the Boulevard ended up not happening (ramps to nowhere). So much money had been spent, no turning back now (which is one of the dangers Spartan has mentioned with the C.C. location). At some point they are going to spend so much that someone will use that as the reason to locate it adjacent to the Park. "we spent $1M on the ramp, and $30M on the substation..." Even though they claim that the $1M and the $30M is needed no matter where the C.C. goes.

Thunder
09-28-2010, 01:06 PM
Can't remember what exit, but there is a structure being built across the new I-40. Very thin, but no railroad track on it. Skydance bridge?

Dulahey
10-30-2010, 12:29 PM
Helicopter Flyover over Existing I-40 Crosstown in Oklahoma City
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l2eIbydjho

Helicopter Flyover over Proposed I-40 Crosstown in Oklahoma City
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFwKUYLdE8s

Construction Video of Proposed I-40 Crosstown in Oklahoma City (from ground, not helicopter)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMaZiaqCoGo

All videos courtesy of ODOT.

rondvu
10-30-2010, 01:53 PM
Thanks for sharing the video's. Really enjoyed watching them, you can bet I will be passing on to friends that no longer live in the metro area.

Steve
10-30-2010, 02:10 PM
fantastic videos - just posted at OKC Central

jn1780
10-30-2010, 03:17 PM
Im glad ODOT actually provided an update.

Jethrol
10-31-2010, 10:31 AM
Very cool videos....I love the train in the new flyover vid....are they going to relocate that UP line or just build around it?

Pete
10-31-2010, 11:04 AM
I'm amazed at how far they still have to go...

Was supposed to be finished by now and there is actually grass growing on a lot of that dirt that was moved years ago.

They really need to get it in gear and wrap this thing up.

OKCisOK4me
12-15-2010, 05:30 PM
Very cool videos....I love the train in the new flyover vid....are they going to relocate that UP line or just build around it?

Yes, they will relocate the track back to where it originally was. Once they do that then they'll be able to take care of highway business.

I'm amazed at how far they still have to go...

Was supposed to be finished by now and there is actually grass growing on a lot of that dirt that was moved years ago.

They really need to get it in gear and wrap this thing up.

A lot of progress has been made since Dulahay posted the videos. I didn't get to take pictures but, none the less, the progress is moving forward. I'd like to get back down there and take pics with my phone to be uploaded to photobucket so that I can easily post them on here.

I emailed ODOT basically asking WTH? I know the situation about how they had a one person that uploaded all the photos to their website who got a job in Hawaii. I wouldn't turn that down either, but that was back in February or earlier. So they can't apparently find one person to replace her (this answers your question Pete as to why it takes ODOT so long to complete projects). We went from April to July before updates were made available and now it's 5+ months and counting since the last update. Kinda sad if you ask me...

king183
12-29-2010, 11:38 AM
Does anyone know what that ramp to nowhere is for? It's located immediately south of the Crosstown and just west of I-235. I'm assuming it's part of the relocation project, but it seems odd. Also, there are several new columns being built just a few feet from I235 and I40. Anyone know what that's for exactly?

Thunder
12-29-2010, 11:41 AM
Does anyone know what that ramp to nowhere is for? It's located immediately south of the Crosstown and just west of I-235. I'm assuming it's part of the relocation project, but it seems odd. Also, there are several new columns being built just a few feet from I235 and I40. Anyone know what that's for exactly?

..... It is the future blvd when the old I-40 is destroyed.

king183
12-29-2010, 11:44 AM
..... It is the future blvd when the old I-40 is destroyed.

It is ramping up, from southeast to northwest, so that seems odd for it to be part of the boulevard. It's also the same height as I-40.

warreng88
12-29-2010, 11:47 AM
I believe what you are referring to will come from the future boulevard, over the new I-40 and loop around to go south on Lincoln toward the boathouses.

Here is an interactive map from the 40 forward site:

http://www.40forward.com/flash/interactive_map/default.htm

jn1780
12-30-2010, 12:29 PM
Also, there are several new columns being built just a few feet from I235 and I40. Anyone know what that's for exactly?

Its a new exit lane for I-235 North bound from I-40 East bound. The new I-40 has more lanes so this will be used to handle the transition to fewer lanes.

OKCisOK4me
01-22-2011, 09:10 AM
New pics are available:

40Forward (http://www.40forward.com/)

Not the greatest. Latest pics are from 12/3 and there's not very many of them. Needless to say, it's an update.

Thunder
01-22-2011, 09:13 AM
New pics are available:

40Forward (http://www.40forward.com/)

Last dated is 08-18-2010. :-(

OKCisOK4me
01-22-2011, 09:26 AM
You have to change the 'view by' to recent, Thunder.

Thunder
01-22-2011, 09:28 AM
I see them now. 12-03-2010

And there is one showing 07-15-2011... :-O

king183
01-22-2011, 03:08 PM
I recently read a news story where the DOT person was quoted as saying the new Crosstown would be completed by 2012. That indicates to me that the Crosstown will be finished by December 2011. Previously they've said it would be completed sometime in 2012, whether that's the very beginning of the year or the very end of it.

Is this a change in the completion date estimate? Or am I just reading too much into one word?

okclee
01-22-2011, 04:02 PM
You obviously are not familiar with ODOT, are you? They have their very own calendar that doesn't configure with yours or mine.

Thunder
01-22-2011, 04:13 PM
ODOT's calendar... When they say a specific year, it usually translate into the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd year afterward.

king183
01-22-2011, 04:38 PM
Oh, I'm familiar with ODOT. What I meant to ask was, if they mean completed by 2012, does that mean we'll get something resembling a road by 2015 that will need to be repaved by 2017.

okcpulse
01-22-2011, 09:16 PM
Oh, I'm familiar with ODOT. What I meant to ask was, if they mean completed by 2012, does that mean we'll get something resembling a road by 2015 that will need to be repaved by 2017.

ODOT doesn't build freeways like that anymore.

Lake Hefner Parkway... Started 1990, completed 1992. Still doesn't need to be repaved.

Broadway Extension widening... Started 1998, completed in 2000. Still doesn't need to be repaved.

Now, even though I-35 in south OKC began widening in 1992 near SE 15th and was completed in 2005 in Moore, the pavement is still in good condition. I've discussed these projects before. ODOT now uses a new method called white topping. Unfortunately because of budget constraints, I-35 in Norman was widened with asphalt. I-40 will be white-topped.

Thunder
01-22-2011, 09:38 PM
okcpulse, I hate it when ODOT uses white concrete. You would think they be smart to keep them all black. :-(

jn1780
01-22-2011, 10:52 PM
I heard late 2012 a couple of years ago. There is one more paving contract that will go up for bid in the spring.

Larry OKC
01-23-2011, 02:41 AM
ODOT doesn't build freeways like that anymore.

Lake Hefner Parkway... Started 1990, completed 1992. Still doesn't need to be repaved.

Broadway Extension widening... Started 1998, completed in 2000. Still doesn't need to be repaved. ...

or do they?

In May 2002, federal funding was secured to finance replacement of the Oklahoma City Crosstown. Rather than replace the existing structure, a new stretch of I-40 will be constructed about five blocks south of the current location. Initial estimates of the Crosstown replacement project were that the project would take 8 years with a completion date of 2010,[9] and would cost $360 million dollars.[10]

Then according to an ODOT Timeline document:

1) the relocated 1-40 was to be completed in 2007

2) The Boulevard was to be constructed in 2008-09

3) Completion dates of all of the above in 2010.

Originally, the relocation and replacement Boulevard where considered one project, then gradually they kept subdividing it. Initial cost of the entire project was to be $236M and to date, the total cost is triple that amount.

They have stuck with the 2012 date for quite a while now, but recently stated that it would be the end of 2012 before the relocation opened (wouldn't take much to push it into 2013 etc). Then we have the resulting Boulevard dates to factor in and the "completion" is quite aways form the original timeline.

Patrick
01-23-2011, 06:10 AM
okcpulse, I hate it when ODOT uses white concrete. You would think they be smart to keep them all black. :-(

What elementary school do you go to?

Watson410
01-23-2011, 11:05 AM
Hmmm....I've never seen black concrete. Do you have pics Thunder? Lmao.

Thunder
01-23-2011, 03:47 PM
Hmmm....I've never seen black concrete. Do you have pics Thunder? Lmao.

They are everywhere. It is just whoever decide white or black. I prefer black. They do fade after a year or so.

SkyWestOKC
01-23-2011, 04:06 PM
Thunder, you are thinking of asphalt. Not the same as concrete.

jonno
01-24-2011, 05:37 PM
Thought I'd post two pictures taken last week.

This picture was taken looking west. A lot of the subgrade work has been done, geotextile (black stuff) has been put down and steel is place. This section will be Contiunuously Reinforced Concrete Pavement
http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/4958/1972f.jpg

From wikipedia: Continuously Reinforced Concrete Pavements (CRCP) do not require any transverse contraction joints. Transverse cracks are expected in the slab, usually at intervals of 3–5 ft. CRCP pavements are designed with enough steel, 0.6–0.7% by cross-sectional area, so that cracks are held together tightly. Determining an appropriate spacing between the cracks is part of the design process for this type of pavement.

Continuously reinforced designs generally cost more than jointed reinforced or jointed plain designs initially due to increased quantities of steel. However, they can demonstrate superior long-term performance and cost-effectiveness. A number of agencies choose to use CRCP designs in their heavy urban traffic corridors.

This picture was taken looking northeast at the south side of Union Station. It didn't really turn out but the darker panels of retaining wall in front of Union Station have "OKLAHOMA CITY" cast into them. I'm sure they'll be painted or stained to stand out at a later date. The temporary rail tracks are in the foreground.
http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/8318/1973s.jpg

Sorry there isn't more

Pete
01-24-2011, 06:38 PM
Thanks jonno!

I simply can't believe how long this project is taking, especially since they don't have to deal with any existing traffic.

jn1780
01-24-2011, 06:54 PM
Its hard to believe it will take almost two more years before the new interstate opens.

Pete
01-24-2011, 07:06 PM
Their original 8 year time estimate included two years for the boulevard, which is now not part of the immediate plan.

So, it was supposed to take 6 years (which in itself seems a bit absurd for four miles of freeway) and now it's going to be at least 10 and probably longer.

10+ years for four miles of freeway!! Good Grief.

Snowman
01-24-2011, 08:14 PM
Thanks jonno!

I simply can't believe how long this project is taking, especially since they don't have to deal with any existing traffic.

No interstate traffic, they have already built two temporary train divisions and demolished one of them already.