View Full Version : The New I-40 (Construction Updates)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33

Pete
07-07-2013, 07:06 PM
^

Ha!

What a difference a year makes: Freeway gone, Devon Tower complete, Arena expanded.

UnFrSaKn
07-07-2013, 07:19 PM
The one link at the "Ford Center" is a jump from April 2008 to July 2012.

Bellaboo
02-09-2014, 07:41 PM
Behind Bass Pro, a lot of equipment has been brought in next to the RR tracks and the piers that were built for the off ramps to the new boulevard. Looks like this may be starting up.

Bellaboo
02-11-2014, 07:08 PM
Behind Bass Pro, a lot of equipment has been brought in next to the RR tracks and the piers that were built for the off ramps to the new boulevard. Looks like this may be starting up.

I noticed a large crane and lots of steel beams at this site. They are also doing a lot of dirt work today.

Plutonic Panda
02-11-2014, 07:10 PM
Does anyone have the current ODOT plans... I thought it wasn't supposed to start until later this year. Would be nice to see it sped up.

Urbanized
02-11-2014, 07:16 PM
The contract on the eastern connection has been let. I'm supposed to have a meeting soon regarding construction schedule.

jn1780
02-11-2014, 08:48 PM
Does anyone have the current ODOT plans... I thought it wasn't supposed to start until later this year. Would be nice to see it sped up.

The contract to build all the ramps leading to the boulevard on the eastern end were awarded back in December.

Bellaboo
02-12-2014, 09:53 PM
They have really jumped on this connection. They are using the location on Lincoln where the hotel was going to be as a staging area for equipment, along with a couple of construction trailers. Cranes and materials everywhere.

OklahomaNick
02-14-2014, 12:22 PM
I noticed today that workers are doing some work where the new boulevard is going to connect to I-40 & I-235 just south / southeast of Bass Pro. They were installing a steel support in the ground, doing some digging, and I saw the re-bar frame work for a bridge support off to the side. Have they started with the connecting infrastructure of the new Boulevard?

Plutonic Panda
02-14-2014, 10:11 PM
So it this thread only for the Crosstown? They are having a meeting about widening I-40 in eastern Oklahoma county. I really wish a major project would be done for the I-40/I35 interchange giving I-35 six lanes of an elevated thoroughfare that does not touch I40 but passes over it with I-40 having a separate connection. I have made an rendering, I'll dig it up(is on my old computer) and the portion of I-40 that goes through midwest city needs to be reconstructed in cement and landscaping added as well as general aesthetic improvements. Not sure if that part needs to be widened to eight lanes or not, I don't really travel on it often enough to say, although I have never seen it backed up, so I would assume it is fine with six lanes.

Redo the service roads, and maybe add an archway over I-40 where it passes by Tinker AFB or maybe put large wings on each side of the highway or the bridge. Does anyone know how the Reno bridge is doing(structural status)? Man, that'd cost a fortune to rebuild.... it needs some TLC though, as far as looks go.

CHOCTAW — The Oklahoma Department of Transportation is hosting a public meeting on Tuesday, March 4 at the Eastern Oklahoma County Technology Center in Choctaw to present initial project information and receive public input on a proposed project to improve I-40 in Oklahoma County from near Choctaw Road east six miles to the Pottawatomie County line. The meeting was originally scheduled for early February, but was postponed due to winter weather concerns.

This area of I-40 has poor pavement conditions, structurally deficient and functionally obsolete bridges and lacks capacity for current and future traffic demands.

Proposed improvements include pavement and bridge reconstruction, widening I-40 to three lanes in each direction and reconstruction of the Harrah-Newalla Road and Peebly Road interchanges.
- See more at: ODOT public input meeting on planned I-40 widening in eastern Oklahoma County rescheduled for March 4 » Local News » The Edmond Sun (http://www.edmondsun.com/local/x1783672814/ODOT-public-input-meeting-on-planned-I-40-widening-in-eastern-Oklahoma-County-rescheduled-for-March-4#sthash.fLZurvqn.dpuf)

Urbanized
02-15-2014, 03:53 AM
...Have they started with the connecting infrastructure of the new Boulevard?

Yes.

MWCGuy
02-15-2014, 04:14 AM
I noticed today that workers are doing some work where the new boulevard is going to connect to I-40 & I-235 just south / southeast of Bass Pro. They were installing a steel support in the ground, doing some digging, and I saw the re-bar frame work for a bridge support off to the side. Have they started with the connecting infrastructure of the new Boulevard?

I would hope they are getting everything ready so they can start paving and pouring concrete as soon as the weather starts to warm up. I know they knocked out a ton of work from March to November during the past two years. The only set back would be if we have a wet spring and I have a feeling it's going to be wet one.

jn1780
02-16-2014, 04:09 PM
Rebar cages.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/320x240q90/691/tfc7.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/j7tfc7j)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/320x240q90/36/7hq3.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/107hq3j)

Garin
02-16-2014, 06:49 PM
The on ramp at penn and I-40 east bound looks like it's about to succumb to a sink hole.

bchris02
02-16-2014, 09:45 PM
So it this thread only for the Crosstown? They are having a meeting about widening I-40 in eastern Oklahoma county. I really wish a major project would be done for the I-40/I35 interchange giving I-35 six lanes of an elevated thoroughfare that does not touch I40 but passes over it with I-40 having a separate connection. I have made an rendering, I'll dig it up(is on my old computer) and the portion of I-40 that goes through midwest city needs to be reconstructed in cement and landscaping added as well as general aesthetic improvements. Not sure if that part needs to be widened to eight lanes or not, I don't really travel on it often enough to say, although I have never seen it backed up, so I would assume it is fine with six lanes.

Redo the service roads, and maybe add an archway over I-40 where it passes by Tinker AFB or maybe put large wings on each side of the highway or the bridge. Does anyone know how the Reno bridge is doing(structural status)? Man, that'd cost a fortune to rebuild.... it needs some TLC though, as far as looks go.

It doesn't make a lot of sense that they would widen I-40 to six lanes form Choctaw Rd to the Pottawatomie County Line yet leave it four lanes (as it currently is) from there to Tinker AFB. That will create a traffic bottleneck as it changes from six lanes to four lanes then back to six.

Plutonic Panda
02-16-2014, 10:06 PM
where did I say leave it at four lanes?

jccouger
03-09-2014, 10:27 AM
I just want to say, the east bound on ramp from Penn is crumbling to the point it is almost undrivable. Really astonishing it is in that bad of shape this early on. Makes me think the entire Penn bridge is set to collapse.

cagoklahoma
03-09-2014, 08:54 PM
I just want to say, the east bound on ramp from Penn is crumbling to the point it is almost undrivable. Really astonishing it is in that bad of shape this early on. Makes me think the entire Penn bridge is set to collapse.

I think I know the spot you're talking about and it seems that the crumbling is a direct result of the police driving their cars over the curb everyday to sit and wait for speeders.

Just the facts
03-10-2014, 08:45 AM

One thing I noticed is the sinking hole, and subsequent bump, on the ramp going from North I-35 to West I-40. I hit that thing 3 times while I was there.

HangryHippo
03-10-2014, 10:46 AM
One thing I noticed is the sinking hole, and subsequent bump, on the ramp going from North I-35 to West I-40. I hit that thing 3 times while I was there.

It's already crumbling in several places along with various sinking spots and uneven construction. It was poorly constructed and will be a pain in the ass moving forward.

king183
03-10-2014, 10:51 AM
What he's referring to is on the actual driving surface of the on ramp and it's definitely not caused by police cars driving over the curb. It's ridiculous how quickly this crumbled. It spans half the entire lane and needs to be fixed immediately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plutonic Panda
03-10-2014, 11:44 AM
Concrete or asphalt?

king183
03-10-2014, 11:50 AM
Concrete. I'll try to get a picture of this marvel. If there isn't one already, a provision should be added in contracts that any issues like this that occur within the first two (or whatever) years is the responsibility of the construction company to repair.

Plutonic Panda
03-10-2014, 12:01 PM
Wow, must have been really bad construction then. That is really embarrassing.

jccouger
03-10-2014, 12:39 PM

Yeah, I take that route every single day on my way to work. How they got away with such a crappy construction job with that is beyond me. Not to mention the speed limit for exiting is 55 mph, and when you hit that going 55 it can really mess up your suspension. I know better now and move over in to the optional turn middle lane which is much smoother.

jccouger
03-10-2014, 12:41 PM
What he's referring to is on the actual driving surface of the on ramp and it's definitely not caused by police cars driving over the curb. It's ridiculous how quickly this crumbled. It spans half the entire lane and needs to be fixed immediately.

Yeah, that's it. It gets worse every week and I don't even know how it is still open. If you drive this very often you must also be aware of how ****ty the stop lights are timed. Seriously, going south bound on Penn takes at least 5 cycles before your able to get on to I40. They really did a disastrous job with this entire Penn exit/entrance.

HangryHippo
03-10-2014, 01:45 PM
Yeah, that's it. It gets worse every week and I don't even know how it is still open. If you drive this very often you must also be aware of how ****ty the stop lights are timed. Seriously, going south bound on Penn takes at least 5 cycles before your able to get on to I40. They really did a disastrous job with this entire Penn exit/entrance.

Really the entire thing is ****. But that's ODOT.

DavidD_NorthOKC
03-10-2014, 09:38 PM
Really the entire thing is ****. But that's ODOT.

If any other state agency spent $700 million and produced that garbage like the "new" I-40, people would be calling for heads to roll. It seems gross incompetence is the rule rather than exception on 21st Street. The Purcell-Lexington bridge. Bridges of commercial waterways without bumpers. Attempting to sell the Tulsa-OKC rail line and prevent any possibility of developed alternatives to the turnpike. The list goes on and on.

Why is Ridley still Secretary of Transportation? Is he the J. Edgar Hoover of OK?

bchris02
03-11-2014, 09:14 AM
Unbelievable this has only been open for a couple of years and is already crumbling. Why does ODOT continue to insist on using asphalt? It never lasts very long and probably costs more in the long run having to repave every few years.

Just the facts
03-11-2014, 09:24 AM
Unbelievable this has only been open for a couple of years and is already crumbling. Why does ODOT continue to insist on using asphalt? It never lasts very long and probably costs more in the long run having to repave every few years.

I see you are operating under the assumption that people in charge of solving transportation problems actually want those problems to be solved. Let me let you in on a secret - they don't.

Plutonic Panda
03-26-2014, 05:49 PM
Update on the Penn ramp situation

OKLAHOMA CITY - If you've driven down the on ramp to I-40 eastbound at Penn you've probably tried to avoid the big holes in the road.
Cracks have developed on a 100 foot stretch of the road due to a structural failure. The concrete alongside is also buckling and sinking.

"I noticed it at least a year ago," says Melvin Streeter who take the on ramp frequently.

News 9 measured the affected area and found it's at least 4,500 square feet.

"We don't know the cause at this point," says ODOT spokesperson Brenda Perry, who says the problem has gotten noticeably worse over the last two months.

Perry says ODOT engineers are testing the soil around the on-ramp to determine what has failed on the road that is only two years old.

Those samples will not be ready for another two to three weeks. That means determining how or how much money it will take to fix problem will remain a mystery until then.

ODOT says it has run tests to determine the sinking is not the start of a sinkhole.

- ODOT Works To Fix Crumpling On-Ramp Near Downtown OKC - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports | (http://www.news9.com/story/25083177/odot-works-to-fix-crumpling-on-ramp-near-downtown)

rte66man
03-26-2014, 06:41 PM
If any other state agency spent $700 million and produced that garbage like the "new" I-40, people would be calling for heads to roll. It seems gross incompetence is the rule rather than exception on 21st Street. The Purcell-Lexington bridge. Bridges of commercial waterways without bumpers. Attempting to sell the Tulsa-OKC rail line and prevent any possibility of developed alternatives to the turnpike. The list goes on and on.

What exactly is "garbage" about the new Crosstown? A soil problem at a ramp is not that unusual. What else makes the entire project garbage?

The Nance bridge was built 70 years ago. No bridge is designed to last that long without maintenance. Blame the Legislature for not appropriating $$ for that.

It wasn't ODOT's decision to forego bumpers on the downstream side of the McClellan-Kerr bridges. Upstream bumpers have been there from the start. Blame the Feds for that one. They funded and built the waterway, not ODOT.

I can't even figure out what you are referring to about "developed alternatives"?? Why should ODOT spend money on an alternative to the Turner?

You should stop and think before you rant like this.

rte66man
03-26-2014, 06:43 PM

The only places asphalt have been used on this project are at the Agnew exit and part of the Penn exit. None of the main lanes are asphalt. Your initial point is greatly weakened by changing subjects.

Plutonic Panda
03-26-2014, 10:07 PM
Thats is kid of the question is why did they use asphalt there? I'm sure they have a reason. They also used it on the new Boulevard. I love this Highway just think the asphalt part is weird and put of place. Maybe they plan on expanding that part soon.

jccouger
03-27-2014, 08:11 AM
Thank goodness for the news getting involved with this or I seriously doubt they'd be doing anything about it. Its seriously taken a year & they don't even know what the cause of the problem is? Pathetic.

Plutonic Panda
03-27-2014, 09:47 AM
Does anyone think it is a sinkhole? ODOT said they are looking at the possibility and doing testing.

OKCisOK4me
03-27-2014, 11:06 AM
Does anyone think it is a sinkhole? ODOT said they are looking at the possibility and doing testing.

If you read just a few posts up you'll see where it says that ODOT has determined it is not the beginning of a sinkhole.

Just the facts
03-27-2014, 11:17 AM
If you read just a few posts up you'll see where it says that ODOT has determined it is not the beginning of a sinkhole.

Which guarantees that it is a sinkhole :).

Plutonic Panda
03-27-2014, 11:18 AM
If you read just a few posts up you'll see where it says that ODOT has determined it is not the beginning of a sinkhole.psshhh... I read it as ODOT is running tests to see if it is a sinkhole. I now see what exactly it said. My bad.

jn1780
03-27-2014, 07:11 PM
This ramp wasn't built by the same contractor that didn't know you had to use different welding techniques on a manganese alloy bridge truss was it? lol

bchris02
04-20-2014, 08:04 PM
Sorry if this has been asked, but does anybody know when ODOT plans on getting the lighting functional at both ends of the new I-40? The road has been open for over a year now yet the lights still are not operational near the interchanges.

Plutonic Panda
04-23-2014, 04:28 PM
Little late for this, but was this the ramp people were referring to?

http://newsok.com/pennsylvania-avenue-ramp-to-interstate-40-closed-in-oklahoma-city/article/4346324

OKCisOK4me
04-23-2014, 10:11 PM
Yes^^

Bellaboo
04-25-2014, 11:50 AM
The East entry into Bricktown for the boulevard is getting a huge wall built. They have about 20 columns built to hold the road, but they are building a massive wall next to the offramp from Southbound I-235 to I-40 Westbound.

shawnw
05-02-2014, 05:15 PM
The city shouldn't allow trains to run under the boulevard due to possible safety concerns.

OKCisOK4me
05-11-2014, 10:07 AM
The city shouldn't allow trains to run under the boulevard due to possible safety concerns.

I'm certain you're not a sarcasm guy but it smells like sarcasm.

jn1780
05-11-2014, 03:11 PM

The railroad will probably say they have ROW 30 feet off the ground.

shawnw
05-12-2014, 08:02 AM
I'm certain you're not a sarcasm guy but it smells like sarcasm.

I'm am totally a sarcasm guy. I wish it was an option to use it as a second language credential on my resume.

gurantula35
06-18-2014, 09:30 PM
does anyone else feel that the 60mph speed limit here is too slow? just east on i40 is 65mph with three lanes.

I'm sure it bothers me because i'm an impatient driver but does anyone else feel its too slow?

bchris02
06-18-2014, 09:36 PM
does anyone else feel that the 60mph speed limit here is too slow? just east on i40 is 65mph with three lanes.

I'm sure it bothers me because i'm an impatient driver but does anyone else feel its too slow?

When it first opened, people went much, much faster on it. It felt like Dallas in that you could easily go 70-75 and still be one of the slower cars there. Unfortunately, Oklahoma Highway Patrol caught on and for about a month earlier this year, every time I would drive that stretch I would see probably three or four police giving people tickets at all times per day. Since then, traffic flows just as it does on most other OKC highways; at or below the speed limit.

ljbab728
06-18-2014, 09:38 PM

No

Plutonic Panda
06-18-2014, 10:09 PM

I'm sure it bothers me because i'm an impatient driver but does anyone else feel its too slow?Yes.

It needs to be 70 or 75. It's ridiculous how slow people drive in this city.

Plutonic Panda
06-18-2014, 10:16 PM
In fact, ODOT originally planned to have the speed limit at 70MPH... not sure what happened to that.

ljbab728
06-18-2014, 11:02 PM
Yes.

It needs to be 70 or 75. It's ridiculous how slow people drive in this city.

And I assume you aren't people? :cool:

Plutonic Panda
06-18-2014, 11:14 PM
And I assume you aren't people? :cool:I just mean the majority. I was behind two people on the stretch of I-35 that is four lanes in OKC who were going 50MPH. Very annoying.

ljbab728
06-18-2014, 11:25 PM
I just mean the majority. I was behind two people on the stretch of I-35 that is four lanes in OKC who were going 50MPH. Very annoying.

I understand that, pluplan. But just because some people drive much under the speed limit doesn't mean the speed limit needs to be raised to 90. :o

Achilleslastand
06-18-2014, 11:44 PM
I just mean the majority. I was behind two people on the stretch of I-35 that is four lanes in OKC who were going 50MPH. Very annoying.

One of them was me....
The gal ahead of me was texting and only doing 45.

Plutonic Panda
06-18-2014, 11:46 PM
One of them was me....
The gal ahead of me was texting and only doing 45.oh maaaan. If had known that, I wouldn't have followed yas and slashed your tires. My bad man ;)

Plutonic Panda
06-18-2014, 11:47 PM
I understand that, pluplan. But just because some people drive much under the speed limit doesn't mean the speed limit needs to be raised to 90. :oyou're right... It needs to be raised to 190!!!! ;)

Jim Kyle
06-19-2014, 09:23 AM
Once upon a time, the speed limit for the entire state of Oklahoma was defined in law simply as "reasonable and proper." This left it up entirely to the whim of any county mountie or constable or trooper, who could claim that 20 MPH was "too fast for conditions" (which it often is, if driving on glare ice)...