View Full Version : The New I-40 (Construction Updates)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33

OKCisOK4me
01-29-2013, 02:34 PM
How is construction going on Agnew southbound from Reno? I assume once they get this done then the westbound on ramp/access road to May Avenue will finally open.

jn1780
01-29-2013, 03:18 PM
How is construction going on Agnew southbound from Reno? I assume once they get this done then the westbound on ramp/access road to May Avenue will finally open.

Southbound is done. Northbound still has a while to go.

Bellaboo
01-29-2013, 03:38 PM
They removed the temporary concrete barriers today. All the forms from the center median barrier are off. They need to spray the graffiti paint and stripe the lanes and the west bound lanes will be pretty well done.

I noticed they still have an overhead sign and some light poles to put up though.

OKCisOK4me
01-29-2013, 05:00 PM
Southbound is done. Northbound still has a while to go.

Oh yeah, that's right. I saw it backward in my head. Either way, the westbound access ramp was closed last time I was through there (and that was when the southbound was done). Has that changed?

jn1780
01-29-2013, 05:31 PM
Oh yeah, that's right. I saw it backward in my head. Either way, the westbound access ramp was closed last time I was through there (and that was when the southbound was done). Has that changed?

Not yet.

OKCisOK4me
01-29-2013, 06:13 PM
My guess is that they'll open all that up at the same time so it will be a fully functional intersection.

Bellaboo
01-30-2013, 06:57 AM
They were removing the temporary barriers on the east bound side early this morning.

DowntownMan
02-01-2013, 04:46 PM
I have a feeling that they will be putting up the remaining overhead signs this weekend along with paitning the new stripes..maybe we could see it all finished next week?? By finished I mean all lanes open..as I know it's officially a work zone until the boulevard is done.

OKCDrummer77
02-02-2013, 09:54 PM
ODOT tweeted this morning that the westbound side between Penn and I-44 would close intermittently tomorrow for overhead sign work.

jn1780
02-03-2013, 05:46 PM
I have a feeling that they will be putting up the remaining overhead signs this weekend along with paitning the new stripes..maybe we could see it all finished next week?? By finished I mean all lanes open..as I know it's officially a work zone until the boulevard is done.

The sign supports were up today. They haven't put up the actual signs or striped the lanes yet There are some old lines that need to be removed first. Should be mostly done next week though.

catch22
02-04-2013, 12:27 AM
On the east end, they put up a brand new polished old-style sign on the westbound lanes.

metro
02-04-2013, 09:45 AM
I would say within 2 weeks, hopefully sooner. They still have to remove old striping and restripe, and a few small things here and there. Could be a 2 day job, but come on, this is ODOT.

ChaseDweller
02-04-2013, 10:39 AM
Anyone else think they should have retained the exit only lane heading Westbound to exit on to the Centennial northbound? In the morning, the poor design of the Lincoln exit on the Centennial backs traffic up on I-40 westbound as it tries to exit to Northbound and merge in/across all the northbound traffic exiting on Lincoln. It's a mess and very dangerous. The old exit only lane at least kept that traffic off to one side. Now that it's a through lane, it seems to be more dangerous. I know the Boulevard will alleviate a lot of that, but that's 2+ years away.

HangryHippo
02-04-2013, 10:53 AM
Anyone else think they should have retained the exit only lane heading Westbound to exit on to the Centennial northbound? In the morning, the poor design of the Lincoln exit on the Centennial backs traffic up on I-40 westbound as it tries to exit to Northbound and merge in/across all the northbound traffic exiting on Lincoln. It's a mess and very dangerous. The old exit only lane at least kept that traffic off to one side. Now that it's a through lane, it seems to be more dangerous. I know the Boulevard will alleviate a lot of that, but that's 2+ years away.

Much like other interchanges in our fair city, this pig just had lipstick put on. They built a nice highway between the Amarillo and Dallas junctions while leaving the interchanges to screw it all up. I've never been anywhere else in my entire life that built new roads only to have them clog up at piss poor two lane bridges or cloverleaf ramps that are more likely to see you hurt than anything else.

Just the facts
02-04-2013, 11:02 AM
You have discovered the problem with our transportation system. All this money doesn't 'fix' any thing. At best it just moves it a few miles down the road until demand catches up and we start the process over again.

Plutonic Panda
02-04-2013, 01:55 PM
You have discovered the problem with our transportation system. All this money doesn't 'fix' any thing. At best it just moves it a few miles down the road until demand catches up and we start the process over again.Yeah, it's called growth? lol..... We have to keep up with demand. Roads and rail right?

catch22
02-04-2013, 02:13 PM
Growth yes.

Sustainable growth, no.

By the time they fix a bottleneck on one end, a new bottleneck has formed somewhere else along the line. All you are doing is chasing the issue in a zig-zag pattern of perpetual growth. The only way to fix bottlenecks is to reduce the demand.

Plutonic Panda
02-04-2013, 02:58 PM
So they want to force people not to drive? I'm sorry I'm just not quite understanding this. The government is supposed to provide the infrastructure for the people, yes. If a highway is successful and the city grows, you widen the highway. Just like I-35 from downtown OKC to Norman(and eventually Edmond) could be widened to 8 lanes when the time is right to do so, however, widening it 8 lanes to Dallas is obviously not feasible, nor does it make any sense. So, the time to widen I-40 and it was done and now the traffic flows pretty smoothly even during the construction zone. When the interchanges are built(imo I hope they go with the flyovers from the right side of the highway), I'm sure we won't have any issues with I-40 Crosstown for a looooooong time to come.

catch22
02-04-2013, 03:40 PM
No one is saying you can't drive. Just how much money should we spend on one transportation method? If it costs us huge amounts of money for very few miles of additional transportation capacity, when do you draw the line and stop expanding that system and provide for alternative systems?

What is the threshold for triggering expansion? A 15 minute commute-time increase? 4 hours of rush hour peak demand? 5? 6? Our highways are at capacity 4 hours a day. To alleviate that, how many billions will it cost to reduce rush hour peak demand? When we increase the capacity to alleviate longer commute times, how long until growth fills the void and we are back at the original problem? The only way to reduce the demand for that mode of transit it provide alternatives.

No one is saying we shouldn't have highways, they are vital to the economy. But in excess, they are a leach on the budgets. They are high maintenance and very inefficient in nature -- 1 person to travel on a highways is occupying 1,152 square feet of pavement at any given moment.1 That's a lot. I'm not an expert on rail by any means, but I do know a commuter rail train car occupies 1,275 square feet of area, with a capacity of 232 passengers (per car).2 Assuming all 232 passengers were driving, using basic math and assuming 2/3rd of the riders were commuters who are traveling alone, the other 1/3 are traveling with one other person. This is a fair average of my observations from riding public transit systems in New York, Chicago, Cleveland, San Francisco, and Los Angeles. Although not scientific, it is a fair ratio. You can see below to see my math at how inefficient highways are at moving large quantities of people compared to rail transit. 3

a car with 5 seats is only moving 1 person on average, taking up 1,152 square feet of pavement at any given time -- Assume 12 foot wide travel lane with average of 96 feet of distance (16 for the car and 80 feet in front of it for buffer/spacing. 12*96=1,152 SQFT

http://www.rtd-fastracks.com/media/uploads/ep3/11Commuter_Rail_Fact_Sheet.pdf

155 alone commuters, 38 groups of 2. A total of 231. (rounding issue)
155 + 38 = 193 vehicles.
193 * 1,152 square feet = 222,336 sqft.
193 * 96 = 18,528 distance occupied
18,528 / 5 lanes = 3,706 feet per lane = 7/10 mile of traffic across 5 lanes being carried by one car of a commuter rail train. 2 cars and you are looking at the capacity equivalent of 1.4 miles of 5 lane interstate.

This is an inflated number for many reasons, the main being, at rush hour, you don't always have 80 feet of space ahead of you. Also all cars are not equally spaced, nor are they the same dimensions. But this should be a decent starting point to show how inefficient highways are for transporting people. They are excellent at moving goods. But on a per person average of space taken, they are extremely inefficient.

OKCisOK4me
02-04-2013, 03:42 PM
Growth yes.

Sustainable growth, no.

By the time they fix a bottleneck on one end, a new bottleneck has formed somewhere else along the line. All you are doing is chasing the issue in a zig-zag pattern of perpetual growth. The only way to fix bottlenecks is to reduce the demand.

I'm pretty sure the only bottleneck on i-235 has always been in the same place...right there north of 36th up to I-44 interchange. Everywhere else, traffic flows smoothly on this interstate.

The only good interchanges in the city is Shields/35 & Fort Smith Junction. 40/44 needs 6 thru lanes and even though we know they're in the 50 year ODOT plan, they need to take care of 235/44 and 35/240 real quick.

HangryHippo
02-04-2013, 03:44 PM
I'm pretty sure the only bottleneck on i-235 has always been in the same place...right there north of 36th up to I-44 interchange. Everywhere else, traffic flows smoothly on this interstate.

And what about where it begins at I-40? Again, the interchange designs and redesigns do nothing to alleviate the problem.

HangryHippo
02-04-2013, 03:44 PM
No one is saying you can't drive. Just how much money should we spend on one transportation method? If it costs us huge amounts of money for very few miles of additional transportation capacity, when do you draw the line and stop expanding that system and provide for alternative systems?

What is the threshold for triggering expansion? A 15 minute commute-time increase? 4 hours of rush hour peak demand? 5? 6? Our highways are at capacity 4 hours a day. To alleviate that, how many billions will it cost to reduce rush hour peak demand? When we increase the capacity to alleviate longer commute times, how long until growth fills the void and we are back at the original problem? The only way to reduce the demand for that mode of transit it provide alternatives.

No one is saying we shouldn't have highways, they are vital to the economy. But in excess, they are a leach on the budgets. They are high maintenance and very inefficient in nature -- 1 person to travel on a highways is occupying 1,152 square feet of pavement at any given moment.1 That's a lot. I'm not an expert on rail by any means, but I do know a commuter rail train car occupies 1,275 square feet of area, with a capacity of 232 passengers (per car).2 Assuming all 232 passengers were driving, using basic math and assuming 2/3rd of the riders were commuters who are traveling alone, the other 1/3 are traveling with one other person. This is a fair average of my observations from riding public transit systems in New York, Chicago, Cleveland, San Francisco, and Los Angeles. Although not scientific, it is a fair ratio. You can see below to see my math at how inefficient highways are at moving large quantities of people compared to rail transit. 3

a car with 5 seats is only moving 1 person on average, taking up 1,152 square feet of pavement at any given time -- Assume 12 foot wide travel lane with average of 96 feet of distance (16 for the car and 80 feet in front of it for buffer/spacing. 12*96=1,152 SQFT

155 + 38 = 193 vehicles.
18,528 / 5 lanes = 3,706 feet per lane = 7/10 mile of traffic across 5 lanes being carried by one car of a commuter rail train. 2 cars and you are looking at the capacity equivalent of 1.4 miles of 5 lane interstate.

This is an inflated number for many reasons, the main being, at rush hour, you don't always have 80 feet of space ahead of you. Also all cars are not equally spaced, nor are they the same dimensions. But this should be a decent starting point to show how inefficient highways are for transporting people. They are excellent at moving goods. But on a per person average of space taken, they are extremely inefficient.

This.

OKCisOK4me
02-04-2013, 03:56 PM
And what about where it begins at I-40? Again, the interchange designs and redesigns do nothing to alleviate the problem.

I edited my post with post-thoughts...go back and check that out.

The main problem is that you're taking previous 4 or 6 lane highways and turning them into 6 and 10 lane highways and then keeping the interchanges as 4 lane thru ways which causes the bottleneck. That bottleneck is primarily caused by d*bags that wanna get in a hurry and rush up to the end of a lane and then merge into the traffic that's already slowed because someone before them did the same thing. Or you have the short on/off clover leaf designs where there's only a limited amount of room to get on or off the interchange causing the bottlenecks. Until the interchanges are made to be as many lanes as the stretches of highway currently are...there are always gonna be bottlenecks!

Plutonic Panda
02-04-2013, 06:17 PM

155 + 38 = 193 vehicles.

Oh, sh**. That's pretty impressive man, you really know your stuff. I didn't get that far into it, however, the highways move me pretty efficiently, but I don't speak for anyone else. I really want there to be balance in the way we fund our different types of transport. I just think roads should get the benefit of the doubt. Along with pedestrian funding. As I've said before, I really want to see light-rail throughout the metro and I understand it will come with time. Just they way some people speak sometimes.. jtf esp. lol, and I have nothing against you JTF you seem like a really cool person, it just sounds like we should remove cars from the equation all together and everyone walks, ride bikes, and trains. That just doesn't sound very appealing and I understand you're not going that far. Sometimes I can misinterpret things pretty bad. So, sorry if I sound argumentative.

catch22
02-04-2013, 07:30 PM
Highways are resource inefficient. Don't confuse time efficiency with resource efficiency.

Rail time-efficiency will be greatest at peak time periods, when highways are essentially clogged and efficiency is nil.

The highways are super time efficient at non peak times. You can travel great distances very quickly. Unfortunately, the larger a city grows, the larger the peak period is and the smaller the non-peak times are. Over time, you 4-6pm rush hour will turn to 4-7, and then 3-7, and then 3-8pm. Your morning rush hour will start to creep into the 5-9am period instead of just 6-8am. Your midday will begin to spike and you'll start to have midday congestion. You will soon be scheduling your periods of easy movement into 9-10am, 1pm-3pm, and 8pm-4am.

You must provide alternatives to allow growth, or someday soon people could overlook OKC for the traffic congestion.

Now is the time to get ahead of the issue, because alternatives cannot and will not appear overnight. Traffic congestion is growing in this city, and it is growing very quickly. 67 people a day move into the OKC metro, the majority in the suburbs. Those people will be driving to work and play, guaranteed.

OKCisOK4me
02-04-2013, 08:12 PM
ODOT must have some data that none of us are seeing.

Lafferty Daniel
03-07-2013, 03:28 PM
Why is it taking them so long to finish the west side? It looks like all they have to do is re-stripe the lanes. And yet there hasn't been any progress in almost a month and a half?

OKCisOK4me
03-07-2013, 03:31 PM
Surely the funds have been appropriated...

Plutonic Panda
03-07-2013, 04:36 PM
I was beginning to wonder myself haha... This is weird. Progress has seemed to just stop. I've never seen this happen in Oklahoma. ;)

DowntownMan
03-08-2013, 02:48 PM
I was beginning to wonder myself haha... This is weird. Progress has seemed to just stop. I've never seen this happen in Oklahoma. ;)

I've noticed this as well. Sure would be nice to open up those remaining lanes...

Also why did they not take down the remaining piers of the old i40 on Gaylord between Gaylord and the the rail road. It just seems strange to leave those there to remove later on.

jn1780
03-08-2013, 02:52 PM
I've noticed this as well. Sure would be nice to open up those remaining lanes...

Also why did they not take down the remaining piers of the old i40 on Gaylord between Gaylord and the the rail road. It just seems strange to leave those there to remove later on.

I can only guess that they didn't want to keep Shields closed any longer so their going to get rid of it during the railroad bridge project.

OKCisOK4me
03-08-2013, 03:08 PM
Time to email an odot employee and ask what's taking so long.

I can only guess that they didn't want to keep Shields closed any longer so their going to get rid of it during the railroad bridge project.

I think its kinda cool...like a left over segment of the Berlin Wall...

Bellaboo
03-09-2013, 11:01 AM
Haven't you all ever heard of the Arch of Triumph in Paris ? Or the Arch of Constintine in Rome ? Or Hadrins Arch in Athens ?

OKC now has the 'Pillars of the Crosstown' !!! LOL

Lafferty Daniel
03-09-2013, 11:55 AM
Time to email an odot employee and ask what's taking so long.

Let us know what they say. It's getting ridiculous for them to take this long on something that should only take a couple of days.

OKCNDN
03-09-2013, 07:30 PM
Highway construction companies are notorious for leaving a job for weeks/months only to come back and finish it just in time to meet the deadline.

jedicurt
03-11-2013, 09:03 AM
Highway construction companies are notorious for leaving a job for weeks/months only to come back and finish it just in time to meet the deadline.

exactly... this is why newer contracts are often done with big incentives if finished early... sadly, Oklahoma was slow to the table on this trend, as it seems to be in newer project planning, but not items that were planned a few years before

Buffalo Bill
03-11-2013, 10:42 AM
... sadly, Oklahoma was slow to the table on this trend, as it seems to be in newer project planning, but not items that were planned a few years before

Not true.

ODOT has been doing contract incentives in urban areas for 15 years that I know of.

It looks like the contract in question has an incentive of $15,000 per day. Hardly chump change. Don't know what the hold up is on the west end, though.

Page 10:

http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/contracts/a2011/pdfs/short1111.pdf

Lafferty Daniel
03-13-2013, 12:06 PM
Now they're working on the off-ramp going from I-40W to Hefner Parkway (or H-74/I-44E, whatever you want to call it). Maybe this is why they haven't restriped it?

Buffalo Bill
03-13-2013, 12:30 PM
Now they're working on the off-ramp going from I-40W to Hefner Parkway (or H-74/I-44E, whatever you want to call it). Maybe this is why they haven't restriped it?

Could be. That project is to repair the I-44 bridges over Reno Avenue. It's possible that there is conflicting striping, both temporary and permanent, and they only want to re-stripe once.

Plutonic Panda
03-26-2013, 01:36 AM
Anything new? They still haven't progressed very much it seems like these day. :/

Bellaboo
03-26-2013, 06:56 AM
Anything new? They still haven't progressed very much it seems like these day. :/

I haven't seen anyone working on that West end for the last couple of weeks. Seems like the signs and lighting are all up, all they need to do is stripe it.

OKCisOK4me
03-26-2013, 03:49 PM
I am sending this to crosstown@odot.org right now:

"Seriously, what's the hold up?! Are we still waiting for the inside westbound lanes to cure?? Are we not opening up for 100% business until all of Agnew is done and the westbound ramp is open?

When will Westbound Lane 1 become an Exit Only for I-44 East, when will lanes 2 & 3 become traditional thru lanes that don't slightly shift and when will Lane 4 be a true I-44 West Exit Only?

When will the eastbound lanes on the west end of the project toward Pennsylvania FINALLY transition over to their natural lane layout??

I don't get what the hold up is... Riddle me that.

Sincerely,
OKCisOK4me
Disgruntled I-40 Never Gonna Get Finished Driver"

We'll see if that garners any response.

catch22
03-26-2013, 04:30 PM
Do you really think ODOT forgot about this project or something?? LOL

I'm sure they know, and I'm sure there's a reason. Let it be.

Plutonic Panda
03-26-2013, 04:54 PM
I am sending this to crosstown@odot.org right now:

"Seriously, what's the hold up?! Are we still waiting for the inside westbound lanes to cure?? Are we not opening up for 100% business until all of Agnew is done and the westbound ramp is open?

When will Westbound Lane 1 become an Exit Only for I-44 East, when will lanes 2 & 3 become traditional thru lanes that don't slightly shift and when will Lane 4 be a true I-44 West Exit Only?

When will the eastbound lanes on the west end of the project toward Pennsylvania FINALLY transition over to their natural lane layout??

I don't get what the hold up is... Riddle me that.

Sincerely,
OKCisOK4me
Disgruntled I-40 Never Gonna Get Finished Driver"

We'll see if that garners any response.I love that line!!!! lol

OKCisOK4me
03-26-2013, 06:43 PM

And as an Oklahoma taxpayer, we have the right to know what the hold up is. I kept in regular contact with a gentleman who has moved on to another project, so like the first go round, I sent a general email and they got back to me in a professional manner. I'll keep you updated.

WilliamTell
03-26-2013, 07:15 PM
I take i-40 everyday (although at a non busy time) and it irrates me to know end. its been opened and cleared for months but they cant move the cones?

jn1780
03-26-2013, 07:40 PM
I take i-40 everyday (although at a non busy time) and it irrates me to know end. its been opened and cleared for months but they cant move the cones?

They forgot to pay cone and barrel contractor or maybe they changed the tint of the white pavement striping and now its going to take the Federal Government year to approve the changes. lol

Dubya61
03-27-2013, 10:23 AM

Call me a conspiracy theorist and I'm not sure you'd be wrong but ...
I think ODOT is thinking, "Fine. We'll delay I-40 until you pesky teenagers [tribute to Scooby Doo] quit meddling in my Boulevard."

metro
03-27-2013, 11:38 AM
Could be. I'd like a journalist to step up and get an answer on this.

jn1780
03-27-2013, 11:44 AM
Call me a conspiracy theorist and I'm not sure you'd be wrong but ...
I think ODOT is thinking, "Fine. We'll delay I-40 until you pesky teenagers [tribute to Scooby Doo] quit meddling in my Boulevard."

The boulevard issue has been pretty much settled at this point by ODOT and the City. Now its just a matter of waiting for the federal government to rubberstamp the changes.

I think this is just a case of the contractor putting the restriping on the backburner while Agnew is completed. The east side of westbound took forever too and the temporary alignment there was never needed. They should have put financial incentives for actually having interstate lanes open not just the entire project.

ChaseDweller
03-29-2013, 08:57 AM
Noticed today that all the old temporary striping on the west end EB lanes has been ground off. My guess is the restriping will happen on a weekend - not this weekend because of weather and Easter but maybe the next?

DowntownMan
03-29-2013, 03:11 PM
Noticed today that all the old temporary striping on the west end EB lanes has been ground off. My guess is the restriping will happen on a weekend - not this weekend because of weather and Easter but maybe the next?

In Steve's chat this week someone mentioned that i40 & i44 will be closed next week. Can someone Please inform me of this and provide some kind of press release with details????

jedicurt
03-29-2013, 03:32 PM
http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/newsmedia/traffax/okc/fri_march_29.pdf

-40 ramp closes, I-44 narrows Monday
The eastbound I-40 off-ramp to eastbound I-44 will be closed and eastbound I-44 (runs north) will be
narrowed to one lane from 7 p.m. Monday through Wednesday evening. This overall project is
anticipated to be completed by mid-April. Drivers are strongly urged to find an alternate route or
expect heavy congestion.

Bellaboo
03-29-2013, 03:54 PM

I noticed the west end WB lanes have had the stripping used for the crossover have been ground off also.

Snowman
03-29-2013, 05:42 PM
In Steve's chat this week someone mentioned that i40 & i44 will be closed next week. Can someone Please inform me of this and provide some kind of press release with details????

From ODOTs traffic updates

I-40 ramp closes, I-44 narrows Monday
The eastbound I-40 off-ramp to eastbound I-44 will be closed and eastbound I-44 (runs north) will be
narrowed to one lane from 7 p.m. Monday through Wednesday evening. This overall project is
anticipated to be completed by mid-April. Drivers are strongly urged to find an alternate route or
expect heavy congestion.

I-40 narrows, Rockwell Ave. closes at I-40 Tuesday
The right lane of westbound I-40 and north and southbound Rockwell Ave. over I-40 will be closed
beginning 7 a.m. Tuesday continuing through mid-April for bridge work. In addition, westbound I-40
narrows to one lane and the westbound I-40 on-ramp from Rockwell will close nightly from 7 p.m. to
6 a.m. during the project.

DowntownMan
04-03-2013, 05:11 PM
I saw today that one of Oklahoma's finest has gone and marked up the retaining wall with graffiti by the railroad on the north side just before the Penn exit on the westbound side. I wish people would just grow up and not vandalize property these people are costing the state in numerous ways I'm sure.

Dustin
04-03-2013, 06:13 PM
I saw today that one of Oklahoma's finest has gone and marked up the retaining wall with graffiti by the railroad on the north side just before the Penn exit on the westbound side. I wish people would just grow up and not vandalize property these people are costing the state in numerous ways I'm sure.

You need to call the Action Center: 405 297-2535

They should hopefully clean it right up.

DowntownMan
04-03-2013, 06:37 PM
You need to call the Action Center: 405 297-2535

They should hopefully clean it right up.

Even if it is on i40? Wouldn't it be odat who would clean this up...meaning it would be next year haha

And correction...western exit!!

SoonerBoy18
04-03-2013, 07:48 PM
When are they going to work on I-40 in Yukon? The cracks in the road are insanely annoying!

Snowman
04-03-2013, 08:09 PM
When are they going to work on I-40 in Yukon? The cracks in the road are insanely annoying!

The resurfacing & widening show as the federal budget year 2014. Though you might take that with a grain of salt since their timelines do slip. I think a couple start dates (possibly the original estimate for completion) has already passed from when it hit the various 8 year project plans but they at least give an idea of what order the larger projects will get done and their is not much between the crosstown work and it.