View Full Version : The New I-40 (Construction Updates)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

Jim Kyle
03-14-2012, 04:53 PM
No compromise on safety?

Do you mean we should require roll cages on motorcycles, and seat belts to prevent ejection? Or perhaps require them all to be three-wheelers? Some vehicles themselves are safety compromises...

LowRyter
03-14-2012, 04:57 PM
I called ODOT today. There have been several other complaints regarding safety. I am not alone and wasn't the first. The state is aware of it. They're considering the courses of action to remedy the situation. Yes, I am fearful it will be some of the half measures considered here.

To summarize, it's a documented safety hazard that the state confirmed must be resolved.

Ultimately those markers will have to be moved to make adequate site lines -anything else is a halfmeasure.

the topic is deader than Monty Python's parrot.

LowRyter
03-14-2012, 04:57 PM
No compromise on safety?

Do you mean we should require roll cages on motorcycles, and seat belts to prevent ejection? Or perhaps require them all to be three-wheelers? Some vehicles themselves are safety compromises...

jump in a lake! BTW- I ride 12k motorcycle miles a year.

it only means you're an idiot

the topic is dead. it has ceased to be. just like the parrot

OKCisOK4me
03-14-2012, 05:03 PM
I called ODOT today. There have been several other complaints regarding safety. I am not alone and wasn't the first. The state is aware of it. They're considering the courses of action to remedy the situation. Yes, I am fearful it will be some of the half measures considered here.

To summarize, it's a documented safety hazard that the state confirmed must be resolved.

Ultimately those markers will have to be moved to make adequate site lines -anything else is a halfmeasure.

the topic is deader than Monty Python's parrot.

Thank God... That means we can move on and talk about real construction (which is the title of the thread).

Martin
03-14-2012, 06:27 PM
it only means you're an idiot

you have already been warned about posts just like this. one more and you're gone. -M

Bellaboo
03-14-2012, 08:30 PM
tsk tsk

Why don't you take your convincing style to ODOT and have them hang some big round reflection mirrors at each corner of the intersection so you won't get run over on your motorbike.

MDot
03-14-2012, 08:32 PM
Nvm, I misread.

MDot
03-14-2012, 08:35 PM
No compromise on safety?

Haha, exactly

SoonerBoy18
03-14-2012, 08:42 PM
I dont know what yall are talking about but, yesterday when My first time on the i-40 when I was headed to the Thunder game, there was a lot of traffic of course cause it was around 5:30 but it was very exciting and I thought "I just know resisdents are extremely happy to be driving on this interstate other than dealing with the traffic of the old crosstown"

LowRyter
03-14-2012, 08:46 PM
Why don't you take your convincing style to ODOT and have them hang some big round reflection mirrors at each corner of the intersection so you won't get run over on your motorbike.

tsk tsk, what kind of bike do you ride?

ljbab728
03-14-2012, 10:45 PM
I had to drive I40 today to go to a doctors appointment and made a point when going west on I40 to get off at Penn and turn north because I hadn't done that before. I had absolutely no problem seeing both north bound lanes fully before I had to pull out into Penn to turn. Unless someone is totally careless and not looking this is not an issue.

Bellaboo
03-15-2012, 06:34 AM
tsk tsk, what kind of bike do you ride?

My toy is a '66 shelby AC cobra......170 mph. I've only had it up to 155 once, but it will keep going...Doing a cruise this weekend, but that's about all I get it out for anymore.

MDot
03-15-2012, 12:18 PM
My toy is a '66 shelby AC cobra......170 mph. I've only had it up to 155 once, but it will keep going...Doing a cruise this weekend, but that's about all I get it out for anymore.

I bow down...

OKCisOK4me
03-15-2012, 12:58 PM
Saturday is my birthday and whereas I typically work, I'm off. I think I'm going to go downtown and take some updated pics of the old I-40 deconstruction (if it's gotten any further).

jn1780
03-15-2012, 01:44 PM
The main difference now is the addition of lights between point A (downtown) and point B (the on-ramp). The extra few blocks on Western requires more turns and stops than before...and there are a LOT of lights for such a short distance. If 2 or 3 of the lights were removed, it would make a big difference...just force the cross-traffic to use a street with a light...funnel it so it's more efficient rather than stopping western for 2 cars to cross.

I'm not saying the number of exits are a bad thing, although i would have placed the western exit/entrance a little further east. But it may not have made sense. Western could have been the best option based on a lot of factors.

I was talking more about access after the boulevard is completed. A Western ramp going westbound on I-40 makes perfect sense because its far enough away from the Robinson ramp and you bypass all the busier interesections in the middle span of the boulevard. Going eastbound, I think hardly anyone is going to go northbound to western from I-40 once the boulevard is completed in that area and getting to Walker on the boulevard would be a lot faster than going north from I-40.

catch22
03-21-2012, 03:52 PM
I took the I-40 Eastbound Penn exit and did the right turn on red and had no issues. Neither did any of the cars in front of me, and the ones behind me safely made it through with no honking horns or screeching brakes. I do admit that there was a small visibility issue, but I pulled forward another 2-3 feet (and still clear of the northbound lanes) and I had full visibility. The visibility "issue" (if you could even call it that) was due to my car sitting low and the angle of the bridge, not the decorative "markers".

After you stop at the solid white line before the crosswalk, check for pedestrian traffic, then if clear of pedestrian traffic, pull up about 10 feet to see down the street, pull forward another 2 feet or so to double check, then proceed with your turn. I really don't see the issue, there are MANY more intersections in OKC that are blind, this is not one of them. It just takes a little more attention but there is nothing fundamentally unsafe about this intersection.

jn1780
03-28-2012, 03:17 PM
I guess their not going to start demolishing the crosstown until they dig up the westbound approach. The dump trucks are using the old I-40.

OKCisOK4me
03-28-2012, 05:38 PM
I guess their not going to start demolishing the crosstown until they dig up the westbound approach. The dump trucks are using the old I-40.

On which end of the project?

jonno
03-28-2012, 07:08 PM
I believe the city asked ODOT to hold off on demolition until the end of the Thunder's regular season. I think a bunch of the "important people" park under the crosstown and would lose their parking if the bridge becomes a construction zone.

jn1780
03-28-2012, 07:19 PM
On which end of the project?

East end

jn1780
03-28-2012, 07:24 PM
I believe the city asked ODOT to hold off on demolition until the end of the Thunder's regular season. I think a bunch of the "important people" park under the crosstown and would lose their parking if the bridge becomes a construction zone.

Where did you hear this at? Its not like the entire crosstown would be a demolition zone at one time.

Larry OKC
03-29-2012, 09:01 AM
No vacancy at downtown Oklahoma City garages; Thunder suite holders face uncertain parking future
The Daily Oklahoman, 2012-02-28

By Steve Lackmeyer, The Oklahoman, Oklahoma City

... the city was given a 30-day notice Monday by the state Transportation Department to vacate a parking lot under the old Interstate 40 Crosstown Expressway that is used to fulfill a contract with the Thunder to provide 350 spaces for suite holders at the Chesapeake Energy Arena.[/B]....

SoonerBoy18
03-29-2012, 11:14 AM
Are they working on the new boulevard yet?

jn1780
03-29-2012, 11:27 AM
No vacancy at downtown Oklahoma City garages; Thunder suite holders face uncertain parking future

If parking is that much of an issue, what do they plan to do next year when the area is a construction zone?

BoulderSooner
03-29-2012, 11:32 AM
Are they working on the new boulevard yet?

the old crosstown is not removed yet ... so no

SoonerBoy18
03-29-2012, 11:46 AM

But right after I crossed the i-44 junction on east bound, right before I got on the new i-40, there looks to be construction of a new road thats heading where the old i-40 is

BoulderSooner
03-29-2012, 12:03 PM
But right after I crossed the i-44 junction on east bound, right before I got on the new i-40, there looks to be construction of a new road thats heading where the old i-40 is

that is the part of the NEW I 40 that is not yet finished

Bellaboo
03-29-2012, 12:22 PM

I thought I read / heard that the new boulevard will be open from Western to I-40 in eight months or so ????? Only where the elevated bridges are will be 2013-14. ???

BoulderSooner
03-29-2012, 12:26 PM
I thought I read / heard that the new boulevard will be open from Western to I-40 in eight months or so ????? Only where the elevated bridges are will be 2013-14. ???

the old BLVD won't be removed for 8 months to a year

jn1780
03-29-2012, 02:27 PM
Your both right. You should start seeing bridge piers going up for the ramps leading to and from the new I-40 on the west end within the next few months. Nothing on the east end will start until the crosstown is demolished which will take about eight months. The railroad bridge will be the next project down the line.

Bellaboo
03-29-2012, 04:11 PM
Your both right. You should start seeing bridge piers going up for the ramps leading to and from the new I-40 on the west end within the next few months. Nothing on the east end will start until the crosstown is demolished which will take about eight months. The railroad bridge will be the next project down the line.

I swear I heard ODOT spokeswoman Terri Angier say that the boulevard west bound from Western would be reconnected to I-40 by the end of the year.......unless I just had a dream.

It was when everyone was complaining about a lack of I-40 access from the central core.

jonno
03-29-2012, 11:12 PM
Where did you hear this at? Its not like the entire crosstown would be a demolition zone at one time.

... the city was given a 30-day notice Monday by the state Transportation Department to vacate a parking lot under the old Interstate 40 Crosstown Expressway that is used to fulfill a contract with the Thunder to provide 350 spaces for suite holders at the Chesapeake Energy Arena.

The city was given thirty days notice to vacate by ODOT on or about February 28th, evidenced by Steve's article. It's March 29th (30th by the time I posted this) and the city has not vacated, so at some point they must have asked for and received more time from ODOT. The 350 spaces to be vacated are for suite holders... aka "important people".

You are correct that the entire crosstown won't be a demolition zone at the same time but the critical path is now on the east end of this project. There are more bridges, ramps and connections that need to be built/modified on the east end than on the west end. Demolition needs to start on the east side so they can get to work.

jn1780
03-29-2012, 11:42 PM
The city was given thirty days notice to vacate by ODOT on or about February 28th, evidenced by Steve's article. It's March 29th (30th by the time I posted this) and the city has not vacated, so at some point they must have asked for and received more time from ODOT. The 350 spaces to be vacated are for suite holders... aka "important people".

You are correct that the entire crosstown won't be a demolition zone at the same time but the critical path is now on the east end of this project. There are more bridges, ramps and connections that need to be built/modified on the east end than on the west end. Demolition needs to start on the east side so they can get to work.

I still think digging up the big mound of dirt that is blocking the new I-40 on-ramps is considered the "critical path" right now and their using old I-40 to speed that up. Seems to be important enough that they diverted workers away from finishing the barrier wall that is needed to fully open the eastbound side which I don't get. There's just one little section left to do. LOL Maybe one of those situations where ODOT isn't ready to start demolishing so they might as well let people continue to park there.

Also, parking further west isn't going to stop them from demolishing further east.

jn1780
04-23-2012, 09:11 AM
The next boulevard project will be awarded in September.

17428(80)* 4 IS040 2.170 0 3,000,000 0 0 3,000,000
GRADE, DRAIN & SURFACE
OKLAHOMA WP 5.1A: OKCY XTWN FROM PENN TO WESTERN
OKCY -XTWN (070) COMMISSION ACTION DATE: 12/1998

Bellaboo
04-23-2012, 12:12 PM
They have not done anything on the East connection other than replace part of the center barrier wall in the last month. The dirt work stopped completely about a month ago. Maybe they need to demolish more of the existing old crosstown to continue...?

Snowman
04-23-2012, 06:29 PM
New obstacle course this week

Deconstruction begins on the old Crosstown bridge; Western Ave. to temporarily close Thursday
Beginning at 6 a.m. Thursday, Apr. 26, Western Ave. will be temporarily closed between Reno Ave. and California Ave. until mid-May for deconstruction work. A signed detour will be in place directing drivers to use Classen Blvd. Access to the new I-40 Crosstown will remain open at Western Ave. Drivers should expect additional congestion and begin locating an alternate route or plan ahead for extra travel time, especially during peak traffic hours.

jn1780
04-23-2012, 10:53 PM
Enter the complainers in 3...2....1......

Classen is to far away too far away from Western dang it. We can't survive 2 to 3 weeks. Lol

Sounds like their demolishing from both ends and making their way toward the middle. The canal is going to be closed under the crosstown in July and also sometime in the fall. Not sure why there are two periods, perhaps the eastbound side will continue to be ahead of the westbound side.

The biggest pain will come when they reach Shields. Hopefully, they will leave one half of the street open while they remove the deck overhead and remove the steel beams at night? I think these beams are the biggest of the entire crosstown.

ljbab728
04-25-2012, 10:34 PM
This is actually more related to the old I40 but I didn't want to start a new thread for this update.

http://newsok.com/detours-headaches-expected-in-downtown-oklahoma-city-with-demolition-of-old-highway-bridge/article/3669823

jn1780
04-25-2012, 11:40 PM
This is actually more related to the old I40 but I didn't want to start a new thread for this update.

http://newsok.com/detours-headaches-expected-in-downtown-oklahoma-city-with-demolition-of-old-highway-bridge/article/3669823

I just assume this is the I-40 and boulevard thread since you cant really talk about one with out the other.

So the it sounds like the city was the reason they didnt start demolishing early 1 to 2 months ago.

ljbab728
04-25-2012, 11:49 PM
I just assume this is the I-40 and boulevard thread since you cant really talk about one with out the other.

So the it sounds like the city was the reason they didnt start demolishing early 1 to 2 months ago.

They are all obviously very interelated. And the city was definitely pushing for a delay. It's hard to say if that was why they didn't start earlier.

OKCisOK4me
04-26-2012, 01:52 AM
As Agent Smith said...'it is inevitable'.

SoonerBoy18
04-27-2012, 07:07 PM
Are the "important" people still allowed to park under the I-40 bridge? I heard they started the deconstruction yesterday.

BrettM2
04-27-2012, 08:09 PM
Are the "important" people still allowed to park under the I-40 bridge? I heard they started the deconstruction yesterday.

No, they've been moved to the old dealership on the west side of the arena.

ljbab728
04-27-2012, 10:06 PM

I understand your question, SoonerBoy, but the "important" people pay a lot of money to be important.

Pete
04-28-2012, 05:00 PM
This is an awesome photo that shows both the old and the new. It's from about a month ago:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/crosstown31712.jpg

SoonerBoy18
04-29-2012, 12:48 PM
Wow the old i-40 doesnt look like its in bad condition from that view. Nice shot

SoonerBoy18
04-29-2012, 12:50 PM
Pete, the new bridge that isnt complete, what is that going to connect to? Every time I drive past it, I always think its going to connect to the new blvd.

SoonerBoy18
04-29-2012, 12:55 PM
I understand your question, SoonerBoy, but the "important" people pay a lot of money to be important.

No I meant like people who work for Fox Sports Oklahoma network like the camera crews and commentators, etc.

okcustu
04-29-2012, 01:53 PM
Pete, the new bridge that isnt complete, what is that going to connect to? Every time I drive past it, I always think its going to connect to the new blvd.

It is.

jn1780
04-29-2012, 02:05 PM

Its going to connect to what is now the old I-40 just before Penn. Several new piers have gone up the past few weeks.

SoonerBoy18
04-29-2012, 02:21 PM
Its going to connect to what is now the old I-40 just before Penn. Several new piers have gone up the past few weeks.

Why?

Snowman
04-29-2012, 02:44 PM
Wow the old i-40 doesnt look like its in bad condition from that view. Nice shot

That was never the worst part and the the dark sections were even renovated a few years ago as part of the preparation so the westbound lanes could be built without disrupting traffic.

Snowman
04-29-2012, 02:51 PM
Why?

The boulevard along the old i40 alignment is (or at least has been of previous plans since nothing is set in stone) to be the primary way of getting access to sections of downtown from i40, i35 & i235. From the west side it will be more of the arts district areas and possibly west CBD, from east/north/south it will be brick town and CBD areas. Eventually C2S areas too as long as long as they are successful spurring development there.

jn1780
04-29-2012, 06:50 PM
The bridge deck over western was already completely removed when I drove by today. Only the beams remain.

okcfollower
04-30-2012, 11:13 AM
So will the boulevard from western west to the new i40 remain the same current old i-40 or will they tear that up and redo it? Like the part not elevated?

Bellaboo
04-30-2012, 11:18 AM
So will the boulevard from western west to the new i40 remain the same current old i-40 or will they tear that up and redo it? Like the part not elevated?

Good question. I've been wondering that myself.

BoulderSooner
04-30-2012, 12:14 PM

it is going to be torn up and completely redone

Snowman
04-30-2012, 06:41 PM
it is going to be torn up and completely redone

I would have sworn west of Western to just over Penn was basically being re-striped and possible some repair to bridge decks.

OKCisOK4me
05-01-2012, 12:08 PM
I would have sworn west of Western to just over Penn was basically being re-striped and possible some repair to bridge decks.

I disagree. Only due to the renderings on 40forward.com. Way too many new lanes and ramps at the new west interchange. The alignment are off.

okcfollower
05-01-2012, 02:20 PM
Where on 40foward is this rendering?
Edit:
Nevermind found it by clicking interactive map!

I would like to find out a clear answer about the western end of the old i40 and new boulevard.