View Full Version : The New I-40 (Construction Updates)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

jn1780
03-12-2012, 01:11 AM
http://newsok.com/traffic-talk-massive-project-produces-many-motorist-concerns/article/3656886

"We hope to have a portion from Western to the west open by the end of 2012 also"

This will eliminate a big chuck of the access problems. Just get off at Reno or Sheridan. Of course, people will complain now about not having enough ramps and would rather have more, less safe ramps even though they will become largely redundant two years from now.

dankrutka
03-12-2012, 02:40 AM
I love the bridge and thought it was art, but I'm glad to get on here and learn otherwise. LOL.

Seriously, if you have trouble driving under that bridge safely you should have your license revoked. Pathetic excuse.

Bellaboo
03-12-2012, 09:04 AM
I've been through there since the opening twice daily during the so called rush hour and have not seen a problem yet.

SSEiYah
03-12-2012, 10:25 AM
What is going on with the westbound may ave bridge? The older "temporary" bridges are 2 separate bridges with a 5' Gap or so between them. Will this gap be joined and barricades removed or will both of these be torn down and a new one built?
(C) Google Maps
http://i.imgur.com/B6iZX.jpg
(C) Bing Maps:
http://i.imgur.com/Hv3fw.jpg

jn1780
03-12-2012, 11:00 AM
What is going on with the westbound may ave bridge? The older "temporary" bridges are 2 separate bridges with a 5' Gap or so between them. Will this gap be joined and barricades removed or will both of these be torn down and a new one built?

Yes and no, they will add on to that northern bridge over May that was built a few years ago. The old "temporary" eastbound bridge will be demolished which is what remains of the original westbound bridge.

LowRyter
03-12-2012, 05:11 PM
http://newsok.com/traffic-talk-massive-project-produces-many-motorist-concerns/article/3656886

quotr from site (above): Reader: The traffic lights at the new I-40 and Pennsylvania intersection are going to need to be monitored for a week or more, and a solution provided for motorists. The present situation cannot be allowed to continue ...

Read more: http://newsok.com/traffic-talk-massive-project-produces-many-motorist-concerns/article/3656886#ixzz1owmM5T35

.................................................. .

I hope they addrsss this before someone gets killed on Penn exit. It's those huige decorative markers that are obstructing vision at the intersection.

LowRyter
03-12-2012, 05:22 PM
I love the bridge and thought it was art, but I'm glad to get on here and learn otherwise. LOL.

Seriously, if you have trouble driving under that bridge safely you should have your license revoked. Pathetic excuse.

I am a huge Vonnegut fan. Did you see him here at OCU?

it would quite an irony -like out of one of Kurt's novels- that you were run over by someone from out of town that got startled looking at the thing. I know that happened to me when I first rode through it back in Jan for the first time. Brake lights & swerves in front of me.

and I looked up and thought "is that a freakin' crane? whatever, it's damned ugly. glad those fool okie drivers didn't run over me on my motorcycle when they hit the brakes and swerved in my lane...."

pathetic excuse for being run over sure, kilgore. let's hope it don't happen.

Snowman
03-12-2012, 05:25 PM
quotr from site (above): Reader: The traffic lights at the new I-40 and Pennsylvania intersection are going to need to be monitored for a week or more, and a solution provided for motorists. The present situation cannot be allowed to continue ...

Read more: http://newsok.com/traffic-talk-massive-project-produces-many-motorist-concerns/article/3656886#ixzz1owmM5T35

I hope they addrsss this before someone gets killed on Penn exit. It's those huige decorative markers that are obstructing vision at the intersection.

The main case the markers would be an issue is if people are trying to turn out without waiting for the light to turn green, while it is preferable to facilitate that when interstate traffic is busy, it is not the death trap you are making it out to be.

jn1780
03-12-2012, 05:29 PM

Yeah, I saw the visual obstruction you were talking about. Its the decorative pillars right? I doubt they will remove those. They will spend $200 on a "No Turn On Red" sign before they do that. I don't even think you would be able to see over the wall if they removed them.

OKCisOK4me
03-12-2012, 05:33 PM

it would quite an irony -like out of one of Kurt's novels- that you were run over by someone from out of town that got startled looking at thing. I know that happened to me when I first rode through it back in Jan for the first time. Brake lights & swerves in front of me.

and I looked up and thought "is that a freakin' crane? whatever, it's damned ugly. glad those fool okie drivers didn't run over me on my motorcycle when the hit the brakes and swerved in my lane...."

I'm not going to do it so I'll just say this...you may want to proof read your sentences before you submit them to the thread. It's like trying to read 5th grade homework.

Your definition of art seems to be like the 15 x 28 foot canvas in your shack that's painted solid black. Your definition of art is dull. I love the look. It's totally industrial and if captured on film at the perfect angle (as done by Will and many others, including myself) it compliments the Devon Tower quite nicely.

Face the facts, the bridge ornament (as you would call it) is not coming down. Deal with it. Cause complaining on here isn't going to do a thing.

LandRunOkie
03-12-2012, 05:48 PM
well screw the sculpture. Love it or hate it.

Those damned street markers on Penn exit are dangerous. in fact I'd rather have more exits and access with full lanes in between. Perhaps double lane entrances. I think the whole decoration is too clever by half.

Yes welcome to Oklahoma from our resident **** rag, the previous poster. Safety isn't taken too seriously here. It is one of the only states that hasn't seen big declines in smoking in recent years. It took decades to get the median that protruded 10 feet too far into the intersection at Macarthur and NW Expwy to be taken care of. And there is an extremely dangerous intersection at 13th and classen. Someone came into my turn lane and about 15 feet from hitting me head on because the median wasn't clearly marked (yellow paint).

OKCisOK4me
03-12-2012, 05:59 PM
Yes welcome to Oklahoma from our resident **** rag, the previous poster. Safety isn't taken too seriously here.

Seriously? I'm all for safety, especially the kind that excludes use of cell phones while driving. Half of the safety concerns in this thread wouldn't be an issue if you weren't doodling with your phone and radio. It's not really hard to pay attention to those around you.

Pete
03-12-2012, 06:03 PM
This thread has taken an odd and tense turn...

Let's get back to discussing the new I-40 please.

LandRunOkie
03-12-2012, 06:19 PM
People shouldn't be attacked for pointing out the obvious, especially when it comes to safety. If you've seen the hundreds and hundreds of feet of skid marks in front of the statue, it is definitely a safety issue. I'm disappointed all this money was spent on lights when they probably won't ever be used. When outsiders get attacked for their honest opinions it just makes perceptions worse.

There is a moral obligation to protect people from traffic deaths. I've known people who've died that way.

OKCRT
03-12-2012, 07:03 PM
Will they ever fix the horrible bottleneck at 1-40/1-44 interchange? Going westbound 1-40 now is worst than before. I don't even have to mention north & south 1-44 at 1-40. Why in the world doesn't that section have more lanes? It's just unbelievable that ODOT planned something like this. It's almost as if they thought the city would never grow.

Pete
03-12-2012, 07:08 PM
I'm disappointed all this money was spent on lights when they probably won't ever be used.

The lights will be active once they finish the bridge and surrounding area.

The bridge was only installed when it was to avoid disrupting traffic later. It's still not even in service.

Snowman
03-12-2012, 07:26 PM
Will they ever fix the horrible bottleneck at 1-40/1-44 interchange? Going westbound 1-40 now is worst than before. I don't even have to mention north & south 1-44 at 1-40. Why in the world doesn't that section have more lanes? It's just unbelievable that ODOT planned something like this. It's almost as if they thought the city would never grow.

That section does not have more lanes because it is only the eastbound lanes which is carrying both directions of travel, the old eastbound and westbound lanes are where the new westbound lanes will be, until traffic was off the old highway it was a bit hard to demolish that section and construct new westbound lanes.

LowRyter
03-12-2012, 07:33 PM
The main case the markers would be an issue is if people are trying to turn out without waiting for the light to turn green, while it is preferable to facilitate that when interstate traffic is busy, it is not the death trap you are making it out to be.

who cares? people can't see, there will be accidents. and what about an emergency vehicle running through?

I think it is a death trap. You've acknowledged it but think it will be OK. Or if someone runs a light, it's deserved? c'mon.

Just get rid of those markers or move them. they are dangerous (w bound, Penn exit, Penn N bound traffic)

LowRyter
03-12-2012, 07:37 PM
I'm not going to do it so I'll just say this...you may want to proof read your sentences before you submit them to the thread. It's like trying to read 5th grade homework.

Your definition of art seems to be like the 15 x 28 foot canvas in your shack that's painted solid black. Your definition of art is dull. I love the look. It's totally industrial and if captured on film at the perfect angle (as done by Will and many others, including myself) it compliments the Devon Tower quite nicely.

Face the facts, the bridge ornament (as you would call it) is not coming down. Deal with it. Cause complaining on here isn't going to do a thing.

ouch,

no it's not coming down........maybe in 20 years when it's falling down

LowRyter
03-12-2012, 07:39 PM
People shouldn't be attacked for pointing out the obvious, especially when it comes to safety. If you've seen the hundreds and hundreds of feet of skid marks in front of the statue, it is definitely a safety issue. I'm disappointed all this money was spent on lights when they probably won't ever be used. When outsiders get attacked for their honest opinions it just makes perceptions worse.

There is a moral obligation to protect people from traffic deaths. I've known people who've died that way.

wait, we have proof? whoa.

I hope Kilgore Trout doesn't get run over, sounds like a good comic novel.

jonno
03-12-2012, 08:12 PM

From page 77 of ODOT's 8 year work plan:

OKLAHOMA CO. BRIDGE & APPROACHES I-40: EB & WB BRIDGES OVER I-44 5.3 MIS. E. OF THE CANADIAN C/L("K" INTERCHANGE) J/P 28951(04) FFY 2019 $27,000,000

Link to 8 year plan (http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/cwp-8-year-plan/cwp_ffy2012-ffy2019/pdfs/cwp_ffy2012-2019.pdf)

jn1780
03-12-2012, 08:13 PM
Like I said. They will probably put up a no turn on red sign and sync the light with the other intersection better. If that doesn't work they will probably have to ban cars and intersections in Oklahoma because too many people in this state doesn't know how to read signs or understands what those three lights mean.

LowRyter
03-12-2012, 08:20 PM
drivers need to see, jn.

signs are no substitute for sight lines. you admit it's a blind intersection. the markers have to go.

ljbab728
03-12-2012, 09:24 PM
I've not yet been through that intersection but there are similar posts on the bridge at the intersection of I40 and Western. I've never had problem with sight lines there. I assume your talking about drivers who come off the freeway and want to make a right turn on red. That is they only instance that should ever be a problem.

LowRyter
03-12-2012, 09:30 PM
go there & see it yourself. the intersection is blind. signs won't allow anyone to see. and BTW- we need right on red to move traffic.

if anyone runs a light someone will get run over because you can't see. it could be an emergency vehicle.

the markers have to go. it's just decoration. it's a traffic hazzard.

ljbab728
03-12-2012, 09:39 PM
go there & see it yourself. the intersection is blind. signs won't allow anyone to see. and BTW- we need right on red to move traffic.

if anyone runs a light someone will get run over because you can't see. it could be an emergency vehicle.

the markers have to go. it's just decoration. it's a traffic hazzard.

If you slow down sufficiently you should be able to ease out far enough to be sure you can make a right turn safely without getting hit. An emergency vehicle will also have on a siren. That should give you a clue to be cautious if you hear it even if you can't see it. And there are accidents caused by people running red lights in perfectly clear intersections. I never start pulling out into an intersection immediately when a light turns green just for that reason.

Larry OKC
03-12-2012, 09:41 PM
they are huge and block the view of traffic from intersection. Take the westbound Penn exit, you can't see the the Northbound traffic on Penn at the intersection.

I can't believe I'm the first to post this.

I have my issues with the Penn bridge area but the "markers" are not one of them. If these are what you are talking about, I haven't noticed an issue and I take the eastbound Penn exit and turn left (northbound) on Penn every morning. As you can see by the pics below, the sight line isn't really blocked by these any more than if they were removed completely. They are set back from the roadway by the width of the pedestrian walkway. Notice that they aren't in the middle of the walkway (which could be a visual impediment). In fact they are on the other side of the bridge railing. the set back is rather large (they aren't built right against the curb, travel lane). The situation here isn't that much different than any building downtown that is built to the sidewalk.

The intersections are light controlled so any interference that might exist is certainly mitigated. Now if you were talking about a yield sign or a stop sign (like it was on the old I-40 exit ramp), then you might have cause for concern. Again, I say might.

I drove the newly opened Western Avenue bridge and got a few pictures:
http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff342/OKCDrummer77/WesternAve1.jpg
http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff342/OKCDrummer77/WesternAve2.jpg
http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff342/OKCDrummer77/WesternAve3.jpg

ljbab728
03-12-2012, 09:51 PM
You're right, Larry. The only way that could be a problem is for a driver who hoped to be able to make a right turn on red without even slowing down a little. The sight line is certainly adequate for a car stopped at the intersection. As I said I use the intersection at Western occasionally which has the same configuration. I've never had a sight line problem.

jn1780
03-12-2012, 10:00 PM
The stop line is painted a lot further back than it has to be in my opinion. I was able to see northbound and not be in the middle of the road, but I was way pass the stop line. and I was in the lane closest to the pillar. I don't think I would have to be as far up if I was actually in the turning lane.

LandRunOkie
03-12-2012, 10:06 PM
That sidewalk is probably about six feet wide. Anyone driving a truck or suv is going to slow down even more probably.

Snowman
03-12-2012, 10:18 PM
... and what about an emergency vehicle running through? ...

Emergency vehicles in OKC have had the capability on new and retrofitted lights to preempt the normal signal patterns for years (so the light would be red for several seconds before they arrive there) and they still slow down at intersections as a precaution. Also they tend to be in the left lane due to all the people stopping in the right lane and when people turn they will usually be turning into the right lane.

Buffalo Bill
03-13-2012, 09:31 AM
The sidewalks on the Penn Avenue bridge over I-40 are 13' wide. This would afford any driver who is not driving a top fuel dragster the opportunity to see as far as they need to turn right on red after coming to a complete stop.

Larry OKC
03-13-2012, 12:17 PM

From page 77 of ODOT's 8 year work plan:

OKLAHOMA CO. BRIDGE & APPROACHES I-40: EB & WB BRIDGES OVER I-44 5.3 MIS. E. OF THE CANADIAN C/L("K" INTERCHANGE) J/P 28951(04) FFY 2019 $27,000,000

Link to 8 year plan (http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/cwp-8-year-plan/cwp_ffy2012-ffy2019/pdfs/cwp_ffy2012-2019.pdf)
So ODOT actually planed on it being a bottleneck that we are gong to have to live with for 7 or so more years??? LOL

OKCisOK4me
03-13-2012, 12:51 PM
So ODOT actually planed on it being a bottleneck that we are gong to have to live with for 7 or so more years??? LOL

Can you imagine what Hwy 75 & I-635 in north Dallas was like before they reconstructed it?

The I-40/I-44 interchange has been a problem for years. It was a bottleneck when I was attending OKCCC and that was 2003. Same goes for I-235/I-44 & I-240/I-35. The only "nice" interchange the city has is the east I-40/I-35 (Ft. Smith) interchange. You think it's a bottleneck now...wait til they start the project up!

Just the facts
03-13-2012, 12:53 PM

...and don't get me started on the additional $27 million (which will be north of that by the time it done) - just to get people back out to suburbia. That is a couple more miles of streetcar.

BoulderSooner
03-13-2012, 01:12 PM

that is a new bridge over 44 ... not part of the total build out of I40 east of 44 ... just east of 44 I 40 will be 5 lanes within the next year

LowRyter
03-13-2012, 04:45 PM
regarding Penn, I was specifically mentioning west bound, Penn exit. It's dangerous, pure & simple. YOU CANNOT SEE THE NORTH BOUND TRAFFIC ON PENN.

Signs, traffic lights, etc., WILL NOT make it safe since the sightline is blocked. PERIOD

if you look at the last photo (2nd pillar on the right), you can see from the perspective of traveling North that you cannot see traffic from the East.

case closed.

fix it OKC- ODOT whoever

Of Sound Mind
03-13-2012, 05:26 PM
I've driven that several times. I don't have a problem with it. There are plenty of other intersections that are much more troublesome.

Snowman
03-13-2012, 05:38 PM
regarding Penn, I was specifically mentioning west bound, Penn exit. It's dangerous, pure & simple. YOU CANNOT SEE THE NORTH BOUND TRAFFIC ON PENN.

Signs, traffic lights, etc., WILL NOT make it safe since the sightline is blocked. PERIOD

if you look at the last photo (2nd pillar on the right), you can see from the perspective of traveling North that you cannot see traffic from the East.

case closed.

fix it OKC- ODOT whoever

They are not going to do anything with that for decades.

LowRyter
03-13-2012, 05:52 PM
that's crazy.

this is a poor design. the city is negligent if it doesn't fix the problem.

I amazed at the thinking & excuses here.

rcjunkie
03-13-2012, 06:45 PM
that's crazy.

this is a poor design. the city is negligent if it doesn't fix the problem.

I amazed at the thinking & excuses here.

I've used this exit at least 10 times since it's been open, and have had zero problems.

mcca7596
03-13-2012, 07:11 PM
Clearly, LowRyter must not know how to make a proper right turn at a red light.

LowRyter
03-13-2012, 07:23 PM
you're nuts.

I've seen this closed minded behavior before........it's a characteristic of this state . just amazing

the intersection is blind, case closed.

mcca7596
03-13-2012, 07:30 PM
you're nuts.

I've seen this closed minded behavior before........it's a characteristic of this state . just amazing

the intersection is blind, case closed.

There's certainly closed-minded behavior in Oklahoma, and yes, most of ODOT's projects suck. However, I'm not seeing this issue as an example of people being apathetic towards safety in OK.

BTW.. I don't live in Oklahoma anymore.

LowRyter
03-13-2012, 07:54 PM
mcccc--- who cares where you live, you're closed minded.

the intersection is blind, case is now closed.

Snowman
03-13-2012, 07:56 PM

You hardly seem to be keeping an open mind while railing against several others.

LowRyter
03-13-2012, 08:00 PM
safety first snowman.

we all agree the intersection is blind. no right turn signs are absurd bandaids.

LandRunOkie
03-13-2012, 08:52 PM
Just for the record, I'm no longer defending this guy. But about the flycatcher statue, I would be surprised if there weren't safety concerns about the lights. The substation is literally a couple hundred yards from the statue. I guess they could just be planning it that way but it would seem like a pretty easy job.

jn1780
03-13-2012, 09:02 PM
Just for the record, I'm no longer defending this guy. But about the flycatcher statue, I would be surprised if there weren't safety concerns about the lights. The substation is literally a couple hundred yards from the statue. I guess they could just be planning it that way but it would seem like a pretty easy job.

The grid could be powered off as a precaution right now because there is a lot of work still taking place in that area. It could also be connected to the interstate electrical grid and that seems to be powered down because of all the work taking place on the east end.

Martin
03-13-2012, 09:02 PM

lowryter, you might turn down the volume just a bit. no need to go off on other posters just because they disagree with you. -M

ljbab728
03-13-2012, 09:09 PM

LowRyter, I"m thinking that you just need to go a different way if you can't see. Obviously no one else has a problem and nothing is going to be changed just because one person thinks it's wrong.

Bellaboo
03-13-2012, 09:35 PM
I've gotten on from Western twice this week, and am yet to see an issue.......maybe if someone is so 'low', they can't see over the steering wheel, then they would posses a problem.

LowRyter
03-13-2012, 09:58 PM
sorry guys, it's dangerous.

totally amazing the lengths you'll ignore and actually justify the street hazard.

you can see by the photos this it's blind. If you disagree fine. If you post you're disagreement, Ill respond. Just so you're sure what I am referring it's those markers on the Penn exit onto Penn which blocks the left side vision. Obviously these markers were misplaced, they should be on the right side, not the left.

I am totally amazed by all the excuses and rationalizations I see here. You can make fun of drivers, you can put up signs, you can forbid right on red, but it is a blind intersection. It is a blind intersection and is not safe.

it's a blind intersection pure and simple. It was just as blind the first time on my motorcycle as the 2nd time in my car. It needs to be fixed

Mr Administrator, do you understand it's a blind intersection?

jn1780
03-13-2012, 10:03 PM
I think its time to just drop it. At least until there's someone new with their own opinion or more photographic evidence. No one is getting anywhere now. I think mmm will agree with this.

Their seems to be an issue with the definition of "Fact" vs "Opinion".

dankrutka
03-13-2012, 11:11 PM

it would quite an irony -like out of one of Kurt's novels- that you were run over by someone from out of town that got startled looking at the thing. I know that happened to me when I first rode through it back in Jan for the first time. Brake lights & swerves in front of me.

and I looked up and thought "is that a freakin' crane? whatever, it's damned ugly. glad those fool okie drivers didn't run over me on my motorcycle when they hit the brakes and swerved in my lane...."

So it goes.

mcca7596
03-14-2012, 12:50 AM
So it goes.

Best. Response. Ever.

catch22
03-14-2012, 05:35 AM
I am going to drive by this as soon as I get off work this morning.

SSEiYah
03-14-2012, 08:57 AM

I took the westbound exit to Penn yesterday.

I was turning north. In my regular car (low to ground) I had no problem easing up to the point where I could see northbound traffic on penn, no problems at all.

You do have to pull into the crosswalk if there is a car in the left lane next to you, but that is normal with most intersections.

I dont see what is so dangerous about this intersection.

If anything, there should be a walker exit/onramp.

Larry OKC
03-14-2012, 11:48 AM
sorry guys, it's dangerous.

totally amazing the lengths you'll ignore and actually justify the street hazard.

you can see by the photos this it's blind. If you disagree fine. If you post you're disagreement, Ill respond. Just so you're sure what I am referring it's those markers on the Penn exit onto Penn which blocks the left side vision. Obviously these markers were misplaced, they should be on the right side, not the left.

I am totally amazed by all the excuses and rationalizations I see here. You can make fun of drivers, you can put up signs, you can forbid right on red, but it is a blind intersection. It is a blind intersection and is not safe.

it's a blind intersection pure and simple. It was just as blind the first time on my motorcycle as the 2nd time in my car. It needs to be fixed

Mr Administrator, do you understand it's a blind intersection?
You mentioned earlier that you were surprised that you were the first one that had mentioned the danger. That is because the danger doesn't exist. I drive it daily and it isn't blind in any stretch of the imagination (and the pics I reposted verify that).

LowRyter
03-14-2012, 04:47 PM
You hardly seem to be keeping an open mind while railing against several others.

there's no compromise on safety. if someone points it out, it has to be run to ground and should never be sloughed off. I am amazed at the silly rationalizations posted here.