View Full Version : The New I-40 (Construction Updates)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

yukong
02-18-2012, 08:24 PM
I hope not. It's enough that we had to pay to patch the hole that opened up on it this week.

Would't surprise me if the whole mess collapsed in a heap as the last car drives across it.

That was my thought. Just like the scene in the Blues Brothers, when they got to the County Assessors' and the Blues Mobile completely fell apart after all the chase scenes.

Larry OKC
02-18-2012, 09:14 PM
It is a collector/distributor road that runs alongside the interstate till it reaches Agnew/Villa. The Agnew/Villa exit will merge with it before it reaches Agnew/Villa then there will be a light, if you go strait you will go on a westbound ramp or if you turn will go north to Villa or south on Agnew.

Thanks for the info. Then according to the map Pete posted, the Agnew ramp isn't scheduled to open until sometime next year? That bites. Now I either have to drive out of my way eastward (to Western) to go westbound or forget I-40 completely and go up to 10th and thru traffic & multiple stop lights past the Fairgrounds to get to the interstate. There are some things I like about the relocation but amazing that they spent this much time & money and messed things up so badly in a some ways. Then double speak/contradicting statements as to why they did some of the things they did instead of just admitting they made a mistake. Not that them admitting to the mistake would fix anything, but unlikely that they will fix it if they won't admit it is broken.

Bellaboo
02-18-2012, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the info. Then according to the map Pete posted, the Agnew ramp isn't scheduled to open until sometime next year? That bites. Now I either have to drive out of my way eastward (to Western) to go westbound or forget I-40 completely and go up to 10th and thru traffic & multiple stop lights past the Fairgrounds to get to the interstate. There are some things I like about the relocation but amazing that they spent this much time & money and messed things up so badly in a some ways. Then double speak/contradicting statements as to why they did some of the things they did instead of just admitting they made a mistake. Not that them admitting to the mistake would fix anything, but unlikely that they will fix it if they won't admit it is broken.

Not sure if it's a mistake, they've limited access for better flow. The old crosstown had too many on/off ramps, causing an unsafe environment.

mburlison
02-18-2012, 10:52 PM
It's no mistake, give these Engineers credit, it's not like a bunch of nabobs sitting around throwing darts at a board. The fewer exits allow for traffic flow - there are government regulations involved, not the least of which are those having to do with 'cleaner air'. The right hand lanes tend to be parking lots if there are too many exits, not to mention the old style on ramps that wove in to the middle of people trying to exit. Highway 75, for example, in Dallas, yes, the exits seem wide apart sometimes, but the frontage roads are able to handle a lot of traffic, and the flow on the highway itself is much faster than it would be if there was an exit every mile. Not that there are no traffic jams, mind. As for the cleaner air standards, the Feds reimburse heavily for traffic flow versus cars sitting around - witness all the toll booths removed around some turnpike systems. also the 'fly over' style intersections, all about keeping the cars moving, there will be enough slow downs and lookie-loo type stuff no matter what.

Pete
02-18-2012, 10:59 PM
Farewell to the old Crosstown! By daybreak tomorrow it will be officially out of commission, ending an era in OKC.

Hard to imagine the city without it, flaws and all.

ljbab728
02-18-2012, 11:22 PM
This is an interesting article about Oklahoma Interstates.

http://newsok.com/interstate-highways-changed-oklahoma-u.s./article/3650269

I have to wonder about this statement though:

All three interstates would meet, or nearly so, in Oklahoma City. In Tulsa, two of the three would intersect.

What Interstate besides I44 meets in Tulsa?

amandagall5
02-19-2012, 09:12 AM
Are you still going to be able to go north on I44/Lake Hefner Pkwy from I40 westbound?

Jim Kyle
02-19-2012, 09:16 AM
Sure; the alignment change doesn't start until east of May Avenue.

amandagall5
02-19-2012, 09:18 AM
Thank you.

gurantula35
02-19-2012, 12:00 PM
has anyone drove down the new part yet??

Martin
02-19-2012, 01:23 PM
yep... it's pretty nice till you get within a mile or two east of i-44 where it narrows down to only 3 lanes... i imagine it's going to be a bottleneck until everything is completed. when i went around 12:30, they hadn't yet opened up the exit to westbound i-40 from southbound 235... i'm sure that will be opened up by tomorrow if it not already. -M

jn1780
02-19-2012, 03:26 PM
I don't think the bottleneck itself is that bad. Its the fact that as soon as you crossback over the i-44 exits are right there. This may be the biggest thing for people to get use to Monday morning and afternoon. At least they will be able to open the other lanes on the eastbound side pretty soon since the crossover wasn't needed.

SoonerQueen
02-19-2012, 09:32 PM
We drove on the new highway today both east and west bound, and was very impressed with it. I did miss my May Avenue exit, but it was all good. Once they get it all finished, it's going to be great.I hated the old bumpy I-40. The next thing I hope we get help with is May Avenue between NW 50th and 63rd.

shawnw
02-19-2012, 09:49 PM
At least they will be able to open the other lanes on the eastbound side pretty soon since the crossover wasn't needed.

I, too, took the new I-40 tonight and was (pleasantly) surprised that "westbound open" turned out to mean the actual westbound lanes. I was expecting to be put on the eastbound side that was set aside for westbound traffic.

jn1780
02-19-2012, 10:11 PM
They just have that one gap in the wall they have to fill in before they can open up all the eastbound lanes. This will help out with the traffic merging from the Shields on-ramp and will also make it easier to access the I-235 on-ramps.

OKCisOK4me
02-19-2012, 10:27 PM
At least KWTV did more than a 30 second bit on it during their newscast tonight.

White Peacock
02-19-2012, 11:14 PM
I drove on it, both directions, today. Quite nice and smooth, and being able to get on and off of 40 at Shields makes the drive to and from the Myriad a breeze. No more winding through ridiculous paths to get on the highway after the game. I have to say, seeing the new Crosstown in action, it really was a good idea. It's also interesting seeing the scissortail pedestrian bridge. Although I really liked the original suspension concept, it still is pretty cool.

adaniel
02-20-2012, 12:59 AM
I drove on it this afternoon from Western to 44 Northbound. A great, smooth drive. Can't say I miss the old Crosstown one bit.

A few minor complaints: I do hope in the future they label the Agnew exit with an "exit only" sign. Definitely saw a few cars doing some pretty dramatic last minute lane changes.

You could tell most people were not used to it by all of the slow, poking drivers, but that will change in due time.

Speaking of getting used to something, that 44/40 interchange is going to be hairy until the new interchange tie ins are completed. For the longest people were used to 2 thru lanes and 2 exit only lanes, now there's only 3 lanes with an odd mix of the two. Even on a Sunday afternoon there was a bit of a slowdown. I forsee BIG backups for the next week or two during the PM rush hour.

Larry OKC
02-20-2012, 06:27 AM
Not sure if it's a mistake, they've limited access for better flow. The old crosstown had too many on/off ramps, causing an unsafe environment.
Similar has been expressed before (and sounds good) yet it is contradicted by areas where they did just the opposite (like the 3 off ramps in a very short span, highway sign says it is 1/4 mile)...Agnew/Boulevard/Penn....exit/exit/exit...sure, they want people to be able to exit easily, but get back on, not so much. This has been a problem with the crosstown for decades, always seemed like plenty of exits (even if they wouldn't always be the same for east as west) but much fewer options to get back on without driving thru a lot of stop and go city street driving. Which leads to higher pollution concerns etc.

It's no mistake, give these Engineers credit, it's not like a bunch of nabobs sitting around throwing darts at a board. The fewer exits allow for traffic flow - there are government regulations involved, not the least of which are those having to do with 'cleaner air'. The right hand lanes tend to be parking lots if there are too many exits, not to mention the old style on ramps that wove in to the middle of people trying to exit. ...
Traffic flow is supposed to be improved by having more lanes etc. How is it helped to have those same cars in the much longer off ramps (like the old Penn compared to the new)? Those cars are just sitting there, right? Compounded by the fact that where they reduced exits, means higher traffic count on the ones that are left. The end result makes it look like they did exactly what you say didn't happen. A bunch of "off ramp" darts landed in clusters etc. Its like turnpike exits that have no return access. Or you can only get back on if you are heading a certain direction.

Like I said there are parts of this I actually like...parts that aren't as bad as described..parts that could have been done much better...esp for the decades and multi-hundreds of millions poured into the project. Not asking or expecting perfection. Just better. They achieved that with Penn and the longer exit ramp with light. Messed it up by eliminating the return west bound on ramp.

Lauri101
02-20-2012, 11:48 AM
Still trying to figure out the maps and comments above, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong:
From MWC, westbound I-40 to I-44/Airport - is the leftmost lane still the airport exit? Is it still dedicated?
Driving to airport pre-dawn tomorrow - wanted to make sure I get off at right spot. TIA!

mburlison
02-20-2012, 11:48 AM
Oh, I forgot - the omniscient ones are present. Sorry.

Bellaboo
02-20-2012, 12:13 PM
I really think that when the new boulevard is completed that we'll think things are just fine and dandy.

OKCisOK4me
02-20-2012, 12:56 PM
Still trying to figure out the maps and comments above, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong:
From MWC, westbound I-40 to I-44/Airport - is the leftmost lane still the airport exit? Is it still dedicated?
Driving to airport pre-dawn tomorrow - wanted to make sure I get off at right spot. TIA!

The left most lane is to exit south on I-44 (west), the middle lane is dedicated to I-40 (west), and the right lane to go north on I-44 (east) or continue west on I-40. So stay in the left lane.

If for some reason you miss it, just exit off of Meridian and take the long way, due south to the airport...

corpsman
02-20-2012, 04:09 PM
You will enjoy the wide open spaces and lack of pot holes. It's still a little wiggly at the Dallas junction and I-44 but the new highway is nice. Go to the airport just as in times past. BTW, Thanks for the weekends and special thanks for your veteran's service.

Bellaboo
02-20-2012, 09:39 PM
I drove it after the game, around 9:45 tonight....was a breeze, and seems a little smoother than the east bound. Had no problem, and it was a full 5 lanes until the last mile or so before the I-44 connection....my wife commented that it seems like a different city, in a positive way, a very good road now.

oneforone
02-21-2012, 02:02 AM
I drove it after the game, around 9:45 tonight....was a breeze, and seems a little smoother than the east bound. Had no problem, and it was a full 5 lanes until the last mile or so before the I-44 connection....my wife commented that it seems like a different city, in a positive way, a very good road now.

That will get better as soon as the Agnew overpass for Westbound is built. If they get started on in the next few weeks, we may just see open by the end of summer at the latest. I think if the weather is descent the whole project will be done before next summer minus a few cosmetic items.

Snowman
02-21-2012, 07:31 AM
That will get better as soon as the Agnew overpass for Westbound is built. If they get started on in the next few weeks, we may just see open by the end of summer at the latest. I think if the weather is descent the whole project will be done before next summer minus a few cosmetic items.

It has been a while but I want to say it was being projected as six to eight months after moving traffic completely off they would be finished with the major pieces of i40.

OKCisOK4me
02-21-2012, 08:26 AM
It has been a while but I want to say it was being projected as six to eight months after moving traffic completely off they would be finished with the major pieces of i40.

Yep, I looked at the bid letting page on ODOT and it was put out for 240 days or so.

SoonerBoy18
02-22-2012, 04:28 PM
Can someone PLEASE take some pictures of the new i-40 westbound I dont live in Oklahoma City and I really want to see some updated shots every now and then

Pete
02-22-2012, 04:32 PM
You can see a video here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/OklaDOT#p/u/0/CnQ1bTdnQ58

OKCisOK4me
02-22-2012, 04:57 PM
I wish they'd do another aerial video shoot. I can't picture in my head, tie-in ramps from southbound and northbound 235 traffic. I know where they tie-in at but I can't see the ramps in my head.

Pete
02-22-2012, 04:58 PM
This whole project has had me confused from the word go!

I still don't understand what is left to be done and what it will look like when finished. I guess the good news is that it will soon all be complete and it won't matter.

OKCisOK4me
02-22-2012, 05:04 PM
I got an email from my ODOT guy, here's what it says:

"Now that traffic is switched, the work (WP 3.4) will start on the old westbound at the west end any day now. Additional work for the boulevard interchange is in WP 3.5, jp 17428(81), which was let in January and awarded earlier this month."

From what I understand Work Project 3.4 is the Westbound lanes of I-40 over Agnew that has yet to be built and then Work Project 3.5 will be dozing all of the old I40 to the north and building out the bridge connectors for the interchange and the rest of the access roads and ramps along the westbound lanes!

As far as the east side of the project goes, he didn't really specify any details. :-(

jn1780
02-22-2012, 06:42 PM
East end won't take long at all once the crosstown is demolished over there. There's just the ramps and another lane or two for westbound.

I wonder how long it will take to update the camera and speed site? There's a lot of cameras and sensors along the new route. I guess their not live yet. The lights in the central and eastern span isn't even on yet.
http://www.oktraffic.org/

Larry OKC
02-22-2012, 07:58 PM
Are you still going to be able to go north on I44/Lake Hefner Pkwy from I40 westbound?

If you can get on I-40 to begin with you can. Tried doing it Tuesday after work and the signage has "I-40 west" signs in 3 different locations on Penn headed south from NW 4th...
1) The old on-ramp is blocked (but signage is still there)
2) Reno
3) At the top of the Penn bridge where the signal light is

Taking the Penn bridge one dumps you at Agnew where you have to turn South (towards the Stockyards or North back to Reno and then left/west (as Snowman described earlier). As pointed out on the maps, the Agnew/Villa on-ramp won't exist until sometime next year (2013). That leaves you with going down Reno all the way to Portland before you can get on I-40 (which puts you past I-44/Lake Hefner Pkwy). What I tried Wednesday was driving from Penn back to Western and the additional shift south that the relocation takes by then. The extra time and distance traveled isn't worth the hassle. Will end up taking 10th and going across until/if they ever fix the situation. One thing that would help is if they are never going to have direct access to I-40 from Penn, they need to add the "To" sign indicating as much (would also be helpful if they mentioned it was 2 miles away).
Something like this:
To
I-40
2 miles
<--

If they aren't going to have the indirect access open for several months or longer, they need to eliminate that access point & signage completely until it is ready. Just confuses things doing it the way they are doing it now.

OKCisOK4me
02-22-2012, 08:11 PM
You have to remember though, that that feeder road from Pennsylvania to Agnew will eventually go straight through and merge back in with I-40 West... You're just not thinking fourth demensionally!

Remember that in 2013 the road will go through, so when you punch your car up to 88mph, the road will be there...

catch22
02-22-2012, 08:17 PM
You have to remember though, that that feeder road from Pennsylvania to Agnew will eventually go straight through and merge back in with I-40 West... You're just not thinking fourth demensionally!

Remember that in 2013 the road will go through, so when you punch your car up to 88mph, the road will be there...

Post of the day award!

OKCisOK4me
02-22-2012, 08:22 PM
Post of the day award!

Thank you Catch-22, thank you :-) I had to go back and add the 2nd part, lol

Larry OKC
02-22-2012, 08:45 PM

Marty McFly: Doc, we better back up. We don't have enough road to get up to 88.

Dr. Emmett Brown: Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqdJkFM3pSM

OKCisOK4me
02-22-2012, 08:53 PM
Hey, if we have flying cars in 3 years (according to the date in BttF 2) we built a helluva highway for no reason! ;-)

lasomeday
02-22-2012, 09:03 PM
Here you go!

http://moller.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=49&Itemid=57

sophiesdad
02-23-2012, 07:02 AM
It was my understanding that the "new" I-40 would not have the billboard clutter that was present on the old route. Too my dismay while driving East a few days ago on the North side there was another unsightly billboard going up. Again I thought the city council banned these from being erected. If someone is up to date on this issue I would like it explained.

Pete
02-23-2012, 09:37 AM
Now that traffic is completely off the old crosstown, it occurred to me that they have a massive liability issue until it's completely down.

There is really no way they can stop people from getting on it and you know skateboards and others are going to start congregating up there. At the same time, they have to be dismantling it so this is a tricky short-term situation.

I wonder if they are going to start dismantling at multiple locations, rather than just working from east to west.

Pete
02-23-2012, 09:38 AM
It was my understanding that the "new" I-40 would not have the billboard clutter that was present on the old route. Too my dismay while driving East a few days ago on the North side there was another unsightly billboard going up. Again I thought the city council banned these from being erected. If someone is up to date on this issue I would like it explained.

Yes, this doesn't make sense.

You should try contacting your Councilperson.

BrettM2
02-23-2012, 09:44 AM
Now that traffic is completely off the old crosstown, it occurred to me that they have a massive liability issue until it's completely down.

There is really no way they can stop people from getting on it and you know skateboards and others are going to start congregating up there. At the same time, they have to be dismantling it so this is a tricky short-term situation.

I wonder if they are going to start dismantling at multiple locations, rather than just working from east to west.

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe they can just dismantle the on/off ramps while they work on the main body. Should keep anyone outside of the clinically insane from getting up there.

Pete
02-23-2012, 09:49 AM
They will probably need the ramps for the demolition crews, though.

I hope that thing comes down quickly.

BrettM2
02-23-2012, 10:02 AM
I was wondering that as I'm not a demolition expert. Other than weather, there is nothing stopping a quick removal.

They are only maintaining the upright steal beams for reuse in the counties, correct? Or are they also using some parts of the actual road way?

Pete
02-23-2012, 10:06 AM
The concrete is just being smashed out but it does get recycled.

The time consuming part is literally unbolting the thousands and thousands of joints that tie all those steel trusses together.

At this point, there is nothing to stop them having crews all over the different sections but I doubt they will do it that way.

jn1780
02-23-2012, 11:28 AM

There are concrete barriers blocking the ramps and signs that say do not enter. I think their ok in covering their rear end. lol

OKCisOK4me
02-23-2012, 12:20 PM
There are concrete barriers blocking the ramps and signs that say do not enter. I think their ok in covering their rear end. lol

I'm pretty sure a loitering skateboarder could squeeze through or hop over those barriers...which is what he was getting at.

Pete
02-23-2012, 12:26 PM
You'd be amazed about how word gets out to skateboarders, BMX bikers, rollerbladers, etc.

When I lived in Malibu, there was a burned down house just above me, and I lived on a private drive on a bluff. The only way you could get to this property was drive a up a private, unmarked road, park where I lived, then climb over the gate and hike up the hill. Once there, you could see the old foundation and the shell of a pool.

One day, I noticed a bunch of kids up on that property and realized they were skateboarders skating in the pool. They started to show up at different times and their numbers quickly grew. Ultimately, the people on the other side must have complained because the cops came and chased them off.

How they got to it or even knew it was there still mystifies me. Just shows how much people will go through to have something like that all to themselves.

Larry OKC
02-23-2012, 01:17 PM

There was a grandfather clause so maybe if they had a billboard/pole already in place of some sort, they may have gotten around the ban??? I agree with Pete, contact the City/your Council person and ask as it may be a violation.

Larry OKC
02-23-2012, 01:22 PM
Thanks...dang that was quick...hopefully I will be able to upgrade to Platinum (but honestly it doesnt jump off the page at me as much as the gold)...LOL

back to your regularly scheduled topic...

jn1780
02-23-2012, 01:45 PM
I'm pretty sure a loitering skateboarder could squeeze through or hop over those barriers...which is what he was getting at.

Of course they can. But the concrete barriers and signs removes the liability. If a dumb kid kills him/herself, too bad.

JerseyOkie
02-23-2012, 03:29 PM
FYI Folks

Media Advisory
Oklahoma Department of Transportation, Media & Public Relations Division
200 N.E. 21st Street, Oklahoma City, OK 73105
Phone: 405-521-6000, Fax: 405-521-2524
PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL
Media Advisory
Feb. 23, 2012

Public's last opportunity on old I-40 Crosstown interstate
Now that westbound I-40 Crosstown traffic has been switched and all traffic has been taken off the old Crosstown, the Oklahoma Department of Transportation wants to make available a last opportunity for the public to visit the old bridge before it is taken down and fully deconstructed.

This is a unique opportunity for young and old - whether your interest is taking a walk, capturing a picture or two or driving the old interstate bridge -join us on the old Crosstown for a historic moment. There will also be small mementos of old Crosstown pavement available as a keepsake, while they last.

Wednesday, Feb. 29, 2012
10am - 2pm (come & go)
On the old westbound I-40 Crosstown, between Robinson Ave. & Classen Blvd.
Directions & Parking: The Robinson Ave. on-ramp will be the only method of getting onto the old westbound I-40 lanes. Parking for those wanting to walk the highway will be available in the center lanes. Those driving will continue at low speeds on the outside lane to Classen Blvd.

gurantula35
02-23-2012, 05:13 PM
Could someone outline what all is left to be done with the new i-40 and the estimated time of completion?

OKCisOK4me
02-23-2012, 05:28 PM
Of course they can. But the concrete barriers and signs removes the liability. If a dumb kid kills him/herself, too bad.

Very true. But how many kids do we know that don't trespass, especially if they're a skateboarder? Some parent will try to sue someone... It doesn't matter that we know better. They just need to sever the ramps and ends of the thing to keep people off of it.

OKCisOK4me
02-23-2012, 05:34 PM
Could someone outline what all is left to be done with the new i-40 and the estimated time of completion?

East side: actual ramps from north and south traffic on I-235 & Boulevard Interchange.

West side: westbound over Agnew, entrances, exits, access roads on westbound lanes & Boulevard Interchange.

ODOT is apparently in charge of the Boulevard and they do have to destroy the old Crosstown so other than affecting city streets, that won't affect the new alignment.

metro
02-23-2012, 09:11 PM
The OLD I-40 will be open to the public next Wednesday from 10am-2pm to walk on and take pictures. Just saw story on KOCO.

Watson410
02-23-2012, 09:46 PM
The OLD I-40 will be open to the public next Wednesday from 10am-2pm to walk on and take pictures. Just saw story on KOCO.

Post #1261