View Full Version : The New I-40 (Construction Updates)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

oneforone
02-02-2012, 09:34 AM
Tom Elmore's still around. Last I heard from him, he was talking about a transportation bill in the House (Rep. James Lankford is on the pertinent committee) that might increase the allowed weight for tractor/trailer rigs, something Elmore has always deplored because of pavement damage.

The main problem with that is that Oklahoma's truck inspection system is shoddy at best. Every state I have driven through has scales just inside the border and scales scattered across their interstates. Ours on the other hand spend more time closed then opened.

metro
02-02-2012, 10:20 AM
I haven't seen ours opened in years.

Double Edge
02-02-2012, 12:03 PM
I worked on one of these new port of entry stations...

After years of inaction by the Legislature and state agencies, the Department of Transportation and the Oklahoma Corporation Commission are planning to construct three of nine proposed state-of-the-art commercial truck weigh stations by late 2010.

<snip>

"This is something that’s been needed for years. We’re going to have the most modern technology available, and we will know what is coming through our state. It’s good for security reasons, and it’s good for the preservation of our roads and highways.”

Oklahoma’s original 50-year-old network of 11 truck weigh stations includes facilities that are in disrepair, and poorly equipped and located, state officials say.

Only four of the facilities are operating. Weigh stations remain open at I-35 near Newkirk; on I-35 near Davis at the Texas border; on I-40 at El Reno and at Boise City in the Panhandle.

Known among agency officials as Port of Entry stations, the new inspection facilities will include weigh-in-motion sensors that can detect truck weights at 70 mph.

Vehicle registration numbers will be "read” by video cameras, which will be connected to a computer database of commercial truck permits.

"Looking at the database, we’ll be able to see if the truck is permitted appropriately,” ODOT’s Andrews said. "There will be information-sharing at all facilities.”

Read more: http://newsok.com/oklahoma-weighs-its-options-for-port-of-entry-stations/article/3365780#ixzz1lFj9hatD

HangryHippo
02-02-2012, 12:57 PM
I worked on one of these new port of entry stations...

After years of inaction by the Legislature and state agencies, the Department of Transportation and the Oklahoma Corporation Commission are planning to construct three of nine proposed state-of-the-art commercial truck weigh stations by late 2010.

<snip>

"This is something that’s been needed for years. We’re going to have the most modern technology available, and we will know what is coming through our state. It’s good for security reasons, and it’s good for the preservation of our roads and highways.”

Oklahoma’s original 50-year-old network of 11 truck weigh stations includes facilities that are in disrepair, and poorly equipped and located, state officials say.

Only four of the facilities are operating. Weigh stations remain open at I-35 near Newkirk; on I-35 near Davis at the Texas border; on I-40 at El Reno and at Boise City in the Panhandle.

Known among agency officials as Port of Entry stations, the new inspection facilities will include weigh-in-motion sensors that can detect truck weights at 70 mph.

Vehicle registration numbers will be "read” by video cameras, which will be connected to a computer database of commercial truck permits.

"Looking at the database, we’ll be able to see if the truck is permitted appropriately,” ODOT’s Andrews said. "There will be information-sharing at all facilities.”

Read more: http://newsok.com/oklahoma-weighs-its-options-for-port-of-entry-stations/article/3365780#ixzz1lFj9hatD

What is the status of the new port of entry stations? Have any of the new facilities been constructed?

workman45
02-02-2012, 01:10 PM
Clicked the link, read the headline and then nothing but blank after that.

Double Edge
02-02-2012, 01:35 PM
Weird. Scroll down and click page 2. Looks like page one is all ads except for the headline. Or see if this link works: http://newsok.com/oklahoma-weighs-its-options-for-port-of-entry-stations/article/3365780/?page=2

OKCisOK4me
02-02-2012, 09:47 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boNyP15FFsA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Removal of the old east side I-40 steel beams.

Bellaboo
02-03-2012, 09:28 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boNyP15FFsA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Removal of the old east side I-40 steel beams.

That is great that they can re-purpose these...

oneforone
02-03-2012, 01:10 PM
I know they may not be able to use all them for bridge repairs but, would these be useful building 1-3 story structures. County and city governments across the state are cash strapped and need to build everything from community centers, to court houses to jails and prisons. It would be cool if they could reuse these in 1-3 story structures. I would think if these beams were handing thousands of pounds of moving vehicles they would do okay for at least a 1-3 story structure. The wait of people furniture and fixtures is going to be considerably less.

Bellaboo
02-03-2012, 02:04 PM
Just a couple of weeks ago, there was an article in DOK that stated they are using 1,800 of the 1,900 beams for county bridges...each beam value was listed at $8,000,and each county bridge would use 5 beams each. Not sure what they are doing with the other 100 beams....even though Traber on the sports animal said a movie set was going to destroy part of the bridge for a movie.....I've heard nothing official on this though.

jn1780
02-03-2012, 04:01 PM
Apparently their not going to use the crossover on the east end. Looks like they were forming up the barrier wall today and are in the process of closing the gap.

Bellaboo
02-03-2012, 04:34 PM
Apparently their not going to use the crossover on the east end. Looks like they were forming up the barrier wall today and are in the process of closing the gap.

That would be fine with me, maybe with all of the good weather they can get it done timely without having to use a temporary connection.

workman45
02-04-2012, 12:23 PM
:doh: Let's try this again.

workman45
02-04-2012, 12:26 PM
Weird. Scroll down and click page 2. Looks like page one is all ads except for the headline. Or see if this link works: http://newsok.com/oklahoma-weighs-its-options-for-port-of-entry-stations/article/3365780/?page=2

That did it, thanks.

jn1780
02-04-2012, 12:34 PM
That would be fine with me, maybe with all of the good weather they can get it done timely without having to use a temporary connection.

Good weather and the time it takes to get Robinson done I imagine.

UnFrSaKn
02-10-2012, 04:04 PM
Not much longer...

Hole in crosstown closes westbound lane (http://www.kfor.com/news/local/kfor-hole-in-crosstown-closes-westbound-lane-20120210,0,6290320.story)

BB37
02-10-2012, 04:11 PM
Not much longer...

Hole in crosstown closes westbound lane (http://www.kfor.com/news/local/kfor-hole-in-crosstown-closes-westbound-lane-20120210,0,6290320.story)

Ya beat me to it, dadgummit!!

Pete
02-10-2012, 04:18 PM
Good grief, a huge hole in one of the center lanes??

ODOT is darn lucky the weather has been so mild this winter otherwise that old highway might never have lasted long enough for the cut-over.

BB37
02-10-2012, 04:30 PM
They can't shut that sucker down fast enough...

MDot
02-10-2012, 04:39 PM
...dadgummit...

I read a completely different word... Lord, please forgive me.

Snowman
02-10-2012, 04:50 PM
Not much longer...

Seems kind of a fitting end for it.

jn1780
02-10-2012, 04:53 PM
Robinson is open now which is what they were waiting for originally. Except now they decided to go ahead and finish the permanent connections on the east end first.

Just the facts
02-10-2012, 06:02 PM
Just bolt a giant steel plate over it and hope it holds.

Larry OKC
02-10-2012, 06:39 PM
On the traffic report update this afternoon on the Twister, they mentioned 2 holes had opened up

Just the facts
02-10-2012, 08:41 PM
On the traffic report update this afternoon on the Twister, they mentioned 2 holes had opened up

One on the top and one on the bottom?

Larry OKC
02-11-2012, 07:43 AM
Seemed like they were at different locations?? I didnt pay too much attention to it since I wasnt going that way

jungmuny
02-11-2012, 04:19 PM
gallery (https://picasaweb.google.com/110277701493240612038)
Here are some new pics. Pardon the pseudonym, this is the only downside of google hosting, you have to use a name. My comments are to the upper right of the pics.
I'm going to take a stab that the west side is over a month away from completion based on these pics. Remember the estimate was 2-8 weeks from Jan. 9

richosh
02-11-2012, 05:50 PM
I cannot wait to see how the Western and Penn exits do when the ice storm hits Sunday night.

jn1780
02-11-2012, 06:35 PM
gallery (https://picasaweb.google.com/110277701493240612038)
Here are some new pics. Pardon the pseudonym, this is the only downside of google hosting, you have to use a name. My comments are to the upper right of the pics.
I'm going to take a stab that the west side is over a month away from completion based on these pics. Remember the estimate was 2-8 weeks from Jan. 9

Opening or completion? Looks like their ready to open it within a week or two based on those pics. They quickly built those two lanes making the crossover unnecessary. The onramp from northbound I-35 is going to cut across the current westbound lanes.

jungmuny
02-11-2012, 07:32 PM
I thought for this portion of the migration, they would try to complete as much as possible before allowing traffic. If they just allow a one lane or two lane stretch, its possible in two weeks. Since half the weight is already off the bridge and it shouldn't be a safety issue, it would be more efficient to complete it fully and avoid the congestion. There is also the factor of concrete generally doesn't set well below 50 degrees so they are limited by weather.

jn1780
02-11-2012, 09:11 PM
I thought for this portion of the migration, they would try to complete as much as possible before allowing traffic. If they just allow a one lane or two lane stretch, its possible in two weeks. Since half the weight is already off the bridge and it shouldn't be a safety issue, it would be more efficient to complete it fully and avoid the congestion. There is also the factor of concrete generally doesn't set well below 50 degrees so they are limited by weather.

Looks like those two lanes were already painted and barricaded for two lanes of traffic. The temp ramp from I-35 would block any additional westbound lanes.

jungmuny
02-11-2012, 09:25 PM
Good point. They should make that temporary ramp merge and keep three lanes flowing. (Edit: or rather pave the ramp further away from the main strip so as to allow three full lanes and a ramp lane that isn't required to merge. There is an extra 5-15 feet to the west (of the merge lane ramp to the bridge column).) What a cluster job this will inevitably turn out to be!

Snowman
02-11-2012, 10:12 PM
Good point. They should make that temporary ramp merge and keep three lanes flowing. (Edit: or rather pave the ramp further away from the main strip so as to allow three full lanes and a ramp lane that isn't required to merge. There is an extra 5-15 feet to the west of the bridge column from the ramp.) What a cluster job this will inevitably turn out to be!

I think there was only one lane (maybe two lanes) crossing over on the eastbound side on the east end anyway, so keeping three lanes where the temporary ramp is may only compound the issue later.

jn1780
02-11-2012, 10:34 PM
If I had my guess it will eventually be 3 lanes with the ramps coming from I-35 becoming the 4th and 5th lanes. It was only two lanes originally.

ETL
02-12-2012, 01:31 PM
Anyone notice all the graffiti on the south walls of the hw?

Watson410
02-12-2012, 03:57 PM
Slums of okc!!!

MDot
02-12-2012, 09:49 PM
Anyone notice all the graffiti on the south walls of the hw?

No, I haven't noticed it but that's pitiful if there's already graffiti on it.

MDot
02-12-2012, 09:49 PM
Double post.

Snowman
02-12-2012, 09:56 PM
No, I haven't noticed it but that's pitiful if there's already graffiti on it.

There was already graffiti before they painted it the first time.

MDot
02-12-2012, 10:12 PM
There was already graffiti before the painted it the first time.

Go figure...

metro
02-12-2012, 10:43 PM
It was graffitied at least a year before it opened. Sadly, not surprised.

Pete
02-15-2012, 12:44 PM
Westbound traffic switching over this Sunday!

http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/newsmedia/press/2012/12-007_crosstown_westbound_traffic_switch.pdf

http://newsok.com/westbound-lanes-of-new-i-40-crosstown-to-open-this-weekend/article/3649240

Pete
02-15-2012, 01:07 PM
Here's a nice graphic of all the new on- and off-ramp configurations starting on Sunday (courtesy of the OKC Thunder):

http://thunder-nba.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/120215-crosstown-update.png

metro
02-15-2012, 01:07 PM
Beat me to it, I just heard Sunday on radio as well.

gurantula35
02-15-2012, 01:10 PM
i was just about to ask if there had been any updates on when it will open. great news! very exciting!

lasomeday
02-15-2012, 01:10 PM
Here's a nice graphic of all the new on- and off-ramp configurations starting on Sunday (courtesy of the OKC Thunder):

http://thunder-nba.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/120215-crosstown-update.png

Western will be a nightmare in the mornings! The 3 lanes westbound where I-40 meets I-44 will be a cluster at 5! Expect to sit there for a long time!

Pete
02-15-2012, 01:12 PM
Really the end of an era of OKC. I'm 51 and can't remember a time without the old crosstown.

I would imagine they will get busy demolishing the old highway once traffic is completely removed. Will really change the way downtown looks and functions.

OKCisOK4me
02-15-2012, 02:39 PM
I think the newsok writer was a little confused. In his third paragraph he states that motorists will no longer be able to access Hudson from the Crosstown, a convenience for 50 years... I think he was thinking of eastbound traffic and that already has been gotten used to. Maybe he was thinking of the old Robinson exit which then was rebuilt and looped you back around to Shields...

BB37
02-15-2012, 03:09 PM
Really the end of an era of OKC. I'm 51 and can't remember a time without the old crosstown.

I would imagine they will get busy demolishing the old highway once traffic is completely removed. Will really change the way downtown looks and functions.

I'm a little older (58) and remember when the elevated Crosstown was built (and when it was redecked), but yeah, it's been a fixture on the landscape for a long time.

jn1780
02-15-2012, 05:49 PM
dJYpek3aYZg

ODOT video

Larry OKC
02-16-2012, 08:45 PM
I am confused by the graphic as it clearly states that there will not be any westbound access to I-40 from Penn (not even future access). Yet there appears to be a ramp going westbound as you top the bridge. There is a functioning light there and everything. Pass it every morning as that is my exit for work. This will mess my drive home up. I will either have to drive out of my way back to Western or go up to 10th and thru stop and go traffic to get over to the northbound interstate on the other side of the Fairgrounds.

Snowman
02-16-2012, 08:53 PM
I am confused by the graphic as it clearly states that there will not be any westbound access to I-40 from Penn (not even future access). Yet there appears to be a ramp going westbound as you top the bridge. There is a functioning light there and everything. Pass it every morning as that is my exit for work. This will mess my drive home up. I will either have to drive out of my way back to Western or go up to 10th and thru stop and go traffic to get over to the northbound interstate on the other side of the Fairgrounds.

Penn access to the westbound lanes will have a similar setup as Agnew having access to enter the eastbound at Penn, it is just that ramp at Agnew has not been built yet. Compounded by where the Agnew ramp would connect, the old i40 needs removed to build the new i40. I was a little surprised they did not do something for temporary access but they apparent are not.

metro
02-16-2012, 10:03 PM
The old I-40 westbound has 2 lanes closed now for emergency repairs. Bummer as it's almost a waste of money since it will be closed forever on Sunday.

Larry OKC
02-17-2012, 09:55 PM
Snowman: so what is that ramp at the apex of the Penn overpass that is headed west? As you head north on the overpass, there is a functioning light there with a left turn signal but the ramp has barricades on it??? There is also a ramp at the same spot headed eastward but has a one way sign pointing west, so presume it is the westbound Penn offramp.

ljbab728
02-17-2012, 10:12 PM
Snowman: so what is that ramp at the apex of the Penn overpass that is headed west? As you head north on the overpass, there is a functioning light there with a left turn signal but the ramp has barricades on it??? There is also a ramp at the same spot headed eastward but has a one way sign pointing west, so presume it is the westbound Penn offramp.

Larry, I think what Snowman is saying is that there will be access to the west from both Penn and Agnew. The Penn ramp has been built but won't be open yet. The Agnew ramp has not been built yet.

Snowman
02-18-2012, 02:14 AM

It is a collector/distributor road that runs alongside the interstate till it reaches Agnew/Villa. The Agnew/Villa exit will merge with it before it reaches Agnew/Villa then there will be a light, if you go strait you will go on a westbound ramp or if you turn will go north to Villa or south on Agnew.

LandRunOkie
02-18-2012, 07:15 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcV6AlD4nV4&feature=channel_video_title

They are asking downtown traffic to take Shields when exiting. Meaning Gaylord/Broadway. I wish ODOT would release their playlists so we don't have to wait for a new video to rock out.

jn1780
02-18-2012, 05:40 PM
I wonder if they would bother fixing a hole if one formed tonight. lol

BB37
02-18-2012, 06:53 PM
I wonder if they would bother fixing a hole if one formed tonight. lol

I hope not. It's enough that we had to pay to patch the hole that opened up on it this week.

Would't surprise me if the whole mess collapsed in a heap as the last car drives across it.

jonno
02-18-2012, 06:57 PM
Would't surprise me if the whole mess collapsed in a heap as the last car drives across it.

That might help significantly reduce the cost of the demolition contract. Think of the SAVINGS!!!