View Full Version : The New I-40 (Construction Updates)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

jn1780
01-05-2012, 07:47 PM
I took the new crosstown home tonight. Of course, it is a spectacular improvement on the old piece of $#!t. There's a little "correction glitch" about 300 yards west of the Penn bridge that appears totally unnecessary. How can a project in the making for so long, need a three foot swerve in the middle of an otherwise uninterrupted stretch of highway? I'm hoping that it's just the way the stripes are painted. Didn't have time to look at the details since everyone was braking for the pedestrian bridge!
All in all, it is beautiful. If that seems like a strong word, then you've never driven the existing crosstown.

300 yards west of Penn? Yeah, thats just where westbound and eastbound diverge after sharing the eastbound side. The pavement markings from I-44 to Penn is all temporary. The amazing thing is the Skydance bridge is causing more of a bottle neck from people breaking and looking at it.

Edit: Looks like Snowman beat me to it. lol

OKCisOK4me
01-05-2012, 08:06 PM
Drove and filmed it tonight expecting the bridge to be all lit but it wasn't! Disappointed for that, but the drive was nice!

shawnw
01-05-2012, 09:10 PM
You beat me to it. I was just about to say I took it tonight, filming, and expecting to see a lit up bridge, only to be disappointed.

SSEiYah
01-05-2012, 09:51 PM
Here is a video of the old bridge/crosstown for future reference...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQXhK7PoOvM&feature=related&hd=1

kQXhK7PoOvM&feature=related&hd=1

jn1780
01-05-2012, 10:37 PM
Drove and filmed it tonight expecting the bridge to be all lit but it wasn't! Disappointed for that, but the drive was nice!

Based on how people reacted today when they first saw the bridge, Im glad they don't have it lit on a full time basis yet. Lets people adjust to the new scenery before throwing in another wow factor.

Bellaboo
01-06-2012, 06:41 AM
Drove it today at 7:20. It was a 15 - mph grind until Penn and Western, with half of the traffic getting off at those off ramps. Hardly anyone got off on Shields. You pick up an extra lane at the Penn exit so it actually picked up. The Skydance bridge is an incredible beast to drive under.....it has the WOW factor going on. The speed picked up to 65 after Western, and the East end was no issue. I also like the boathouse view......

lasomeday
01-06-2012, 07:01 AM
HUGE FAILURE!

Two off ramps for all of downtown a mile apart. Traffic was backed up for miles!

Also they have four lanes merging into three as I-40 and I-44 merge. I almost got in a huge wreck. Luckily I swerved as everyone slammed on their breaks.

This road is so poorly planned. How do they expect to have less lanes work? Also only one real exit for the downtown workforce! Traffic was horrible! I am calling ODOT to compain. This is a huge nightmare and there will be tons of wrecks. I know if I get in a wreck ODOT will be hearing from my lawyers!

Of Sound Mind
01-06-2012, 07:02 AM
I know if I get in a wreck ODOT will be hearing from my lawyers!
Good luck with that.

lasomeday
01-06-2012, 07:12 AM
Just talked to the people. Paul Green is the man that is at fault! 580-336-7340.

You obviously haven't dealt with me or messed with my truck!

Of Sound Mind
01-06-2012, 07:15 AM
You obviously haven't dealt with me or messed with my truck!
That's true, but good luck with getting any kind of legal settlement or judgment against ODOT based on your reasoning above.

oneforone
01-06-2012, 07:22 AM
If you were to win a case they would pay you anytime between the date of the judgement and the 2nd week of never. People like you are the reason why Oklahoma needs to become a zero liability state. Everyone would still carry insurance expect you would insure yourself, your vehicle, property inside that vehicle and those riding with you instead of buying insurance to protect everyone else on the road from your actions.

I don't care how nice your car or truck at the end of the day as far as the courts are concerned it's property. Property can be replaced people can't.

The new I-40 layout is going to be a continuing headache for the next year or so. There is still a ton of work to be completed in regards to tie ins and re-routing. They have several fly over ramps to build for the new boulevard. They have to finish the the Agnew Bridge, the west bound overpass at Agnew and few other things.

Let's just be thankful the days of driving on the old rickety elevated section are almost over. I am glad one side is open now. I can patiently wait for the other side will be open in a few more weeks.

lasomeday
01-06-2012, 07:40 AM
If you were to win a case they would pay you anytime between the date of the judgement and the 2nd week of never. People like you are the reason why Oklahoma needs to become a zero liability state. Everyone would still carry insurance expect you would insure yourself, your vehicle, property inside that vehicle and those riding with you instead of buying insurance to protect everyone else on the road from your actions.

I don't care how nice your car or truck at the end of the day as far as the courts are concerned it's property. Property can be replaced people can't.

The new I-40 layout is going to be a continuing headache for the next year or so. There is still a ton of work to be completed in regards to tie ins and re-routing. They have several fly over ramps to build for the new boulevard. They have to finish the the Agnew Bridge, the west bound overpass at Agnew and few other things.

Let's just be thankful the days of driving on the old rickety elevated section are almost over. I am glad one side is open now. I can patiently wait for the other side will be open in a few more weeks.

Yeah, they moved the highway too early. They will be sued if someone dies. It is so dangerous the way they have it set up. You drive it during morning rush hour to downtown and tell me how you feel when you are done. Then you will understand!

Bellaboo
01-06-2012, 07:51 AM
I think when people figure it out that they can get off on Shields instead of Western to access downtown, it will be much better. This was the first day, so it's bound to get better when folks get familiar. It is a definite problem of merging 4 lanes into 3 at the west end from I-44 & 40.

BoulderSooner
01-06-2012, 08:44 AM
Yeah, they moved the highway too early. They will be sued if someone dies. It is so dangerous the way they have it set up. You drive it during morning rush hour to downtown and tell me how you feel when you are done. Then you will understand!

they moved it at the correct time ... the old highway was in the way of the work the are now starting ...

oneforone
01-06-2012, 08:57 AM
I am willing to be the new late out will be confusing people for the next year or two. Especially the folks that legal matters are the only thing that ever bring them to downtown. I am glad they are opening it in stages so people can adjust. If they waited until the whole thing was finished you would see gridlock and traffic accidents everywhere because people would think they can go the same way they use to. This project has been going for quiet a long time. If you didn't take a minute or two like the rest of us did to study it and figure out what changed and what route you need to use, you have nobody to blame but, yourself.

I have funny feeling there is going to be a bad wreck or a near miss because somebody chose not pay attention or they frustrated, or they choose to follow their outdated GPS instead of common sense. I remember an episode of ER where a couple drove into a lake because the GPS said to go that direction.

lasomeday
01-06-2012, 09:08 AM
I am willing to be the new late out will be confusing people for the next year or two. Especially the folks that legal matters are the only thing that ever bring them to downtown. I am glad they are opening it in stages so people can adjust. If they waited until the whole thing was finished you would see gridlock and traffic accidents everywhere because people would think they can go the same way they use to. This project has been going for quiet a long time. If you didn't take a minute or two like the rest of us did to study it and figure out what changed and what route you need to use, you have nobody to blame but, yourself.

I have funny feeling there is going to be a bad wreck or a near miss because somebody chose not pay attention or they frustrated, or they choose to follow their outdated GPS instead of common sense. I remember an episode of ER where a couple drove into a lake because the GPS said to go that direction.

You obviously don't work downtown! It is a cluster at bringing 4 lanes to 3 when it has always been 4. That is a huge disaster! Drive it and then post a response. Until then your responses have no credibility. Just you rambling.

swilki
01-06-2012, 09:11 AM
You obviously don't work downtown! It is a cluster at bringing 4 lanes to 3 when it has always been 4. That is a huge disaster! Drive it and then post a response. Until then your responses have no credibility. Just you rambling.

isn't this just temporary to allow for the west bound traffic once it is switched over? I thought both directions will have at least 5 or 6 lanes in both directions? But I could be wrong.

How could they go from a roadway built for ~70k cars daily to a new one built to handle ~150k cars daily and decrease the lanes. Just be patient and it will all be just fine in a couple of months.

lasomeday
01-06-2012, 09:16 AM
isn't this just temporary to allow for the west bound traffic once it is switched over? I thought both directions will have at least 5 or 6 lanes in both directions? But I could be wrong.

How could they go from a roadway built for ~70k cars daily to a new one built to handle ~150k cars daily and decrease the lanes. Just be patient and it will all be just fine in a couple of months.

Easier said than done. Try driving it during rush hour. It is temporary, but both sides will be at three lanes in a small area creating a massive dangerous bottleneck with no guardrails and a small shoulder with a steep dropoff. You tell me how that will be safe during storms or just when there is traffic.

catch22
01-06-2012, 09:26 AM
Yes once westbound is on it's own lanes, all 5 will be open on the eastbound allowing for dedicated lanes from each access point from the junctions.

Thunder
01-06-2012, 09:28 AM
lasomeday, you shouldn't attack another poster. He is right, if I understood him correct. As for you, tone it down, please. ODOT are doing what oneforone said and people are not quite used to the change yet. I've had an aunt telling me how confused she was and got lost yesterday.

oneforone
01-06-2012, 09:32 AM
Yes, it is temporary because they still have to build the westbound lanes and overpasses from Penn to Agnew. They could not build them until the traffic had been moved to the new section. The old traffic flow was going right through that area.

For your information lasomeday I do drive that area pretty frequently and I do go downtown on pretty regular basis.

Why don't you just go down to ODOT headquarters and finish your temper tantrum there? If you cause a big enough scene maybe throw a few chairs break few tables and scream at the top of your lungs one of those nice guys in brown or grey will stop by and give you a 50,000 volt massage to make you feel better. The fun part comes after the massage you get sterling silver bracelets and free ride in a patrol car to the world famous Hotel Whetsel Downtown and very uptight.

Calm down.... yes, I am only teasing.

Of Sound Mind
01-06-2012, 09:34 AM
I do work downtown. I do drive that stretch. It's not fun, but it's far from "a huge disaster." It is less convenient driving that stretch right now, but that's part of being in a growing metro city. I don't find it any more inconvenient than navigating the construction-laden maze of the streets in downtown right now. If it bothers you so much, try another route. You could always drive Reno or 10th Street to get downtown.

While you think others are "just rambling," it seems like you are irrationally ranting.

okcfollower
01-06-2012, 09:39 AM
People stop complaining, its not finished yet. And those complaining about exits to downtown...in a few years you can exit on the blvd exit and take that and not take the crosstown

jn1780
01-06-2012, 10:50 AM
Yes, how dare ODOT not magically move the eastbound lanes out of the way so they can build the westbound lanes before hand.

Its not really any worse in its temporary configuration than the old I-40 crosstown(better I might argue). People just get into their routines and take awhile to adjust. A lot of people didn't even know about the Shields ramp until yesterday. In the coming days you will see more traffic using the Shields ramp and relieve the Western and Penn ramps.

Lauri101
01-06-2012, 10:57 AM
Going EB out of DT to MWC yesterday - Reno to I-40 at Scott Street to AD exit - 14 minutes.
Right now, that's my route of preference until everything opens up.

Is the new way a bit inconvenient - yes; however, I'm not scared of falling through the concrete anymore! All will eventually be good, once the boulevard is finished.

Breathe in, breathe out, move on...

kevinpate
01-06-2012, 11:04 AM
Easier said than done. Try driving it during rush hour. It is temporary, but both sides will be at three lanes in a small area creating a massive dangerous bottleneck with no guardrails and a small shoulder with a steep dropoff. You tell me how that will be safe during storms or just when there is traffic.

fwiw, it's been open less than one day, AND is very much a work in progress. CVS may have chill pills on sale. It might be worth a look.

MDot
01-06-2012, 11:05 AM
So we know one person has a problem with the new (temperary alignment) I-40 but he doesn't really count, I can't name one thing the city has done that he hasn't thrown a temper tantrum about. Infact, the only thing I've even seen him in a positive mood about is Oklahoma City may get a Dick's Sporting Goods sometime soon. Can we get DE to drive it and give us his feedback, or are Double Edge and lasomeday the same person? I can't tell. LOL

metro
01-06-2012, 11:10 AM

I did this morning, it wasn't that bad, mainly people getting used to the new route. Not sure why people are the way they are but they are. For someone wanting to go to "LA someday", why don't you go drive the 405 in rush hour everyday, if you want to think you're going to die, or not get anywhere......

Thunder
01-06-2012, 11:23 AM
So we know one person has a problem with the new (temperary alignment) I-40 but he doesn't really count, I can't name one thing the city has done that he hasn't thrown a temper tantrum about. Infact, the only thing I've even seen him in a positive mood about is Oklahoma City may get a Dick's Sporting Goods sometime soon. Can we get DE to drive it and give us his feedback, or are Double Edge and lasomeday the same person? I can't tell. LOL

Dick's Sporting Goods.

I wonder why....

okcfollower
01-06-2012, 11:40 AM
I can already see people complaining when there are temporary closures between the new crosstown and downtown as the old one is coming down overhead...

People will complain no matter what. If you don't want to deal with road construction delays or detours. Please do yourself and us a favor and more to a small town with only a red flashing light where you wont have to worry about something like this.

mcca7596
01-06-2012, 11:50 AM
If you don't want to deal with road construction delays or detours. Please do yourself and us a favor and more to a small town with only a red flashing light where you wont have to worry about something like this.

This. Most of the growth of Oklahoma City is people coming from small town Oklahoma to the outer fringes and thinking they've made it big time. But... they don't want to deal with what comes along with living in a real city.

lasomeday
01-06-2012, 01:10 PM
Not one person drove during rush hour on here.

I talked to the head engineer and I told him my concerns. He obviously didn't drive in OKC. His office is in Perry. I told him having two off ramps for all of downtown is ridiculous. He said that too many off and on ramps cause wrecks. I told him that going from four off ramps to two means the city streets have more clusters of traffic. He said that ODOT had not communicated with the city about the traffic issues and everyone getting off at one exit. He didn't understand why all the traffice used the Western Exit. I had to go in detail telling him about the construction of the streets and that to get to most of the jobs downtown you have to exit there.

He said he is going to work with the city on getting things better organized. I told him to hurry before someone dies!

I don't really take care what you guys think. If you don't say something about problems they will never get improved! You guys are used to mediocre. I am used to perfection!

I did however really like the pedestrian bridge. It looks pretty amazing driving underneath it. Hans did a great job with the changes.

OKCisOK4me
01-06-2012, 01:17 PM
Wow...whiner...

SoonerBeerMan
01-06-2012, 01:18 PM
I think we've found someone that MIGHT approach Thunder's level of ridiculous and blowing things out of proportion. Congrats la!! (I think)

Of Sound Mind
01-06-2012, 01:19 PM
Not one person drove during rush hour on here.
Ummmm... wrong! Try again.

And if not ONE person on here drove during rush hour, as you claim, does that include you or are you not a person? (Unless of course I did not read your statement literally, meaning no one drove their vehicle on this forum during rush hour.)

I don't really take care what you guys think. If you don't say something about problems they will never get improved!
There's a constructive way to express your opinion and then there is your way -- a whiny rant.

You guys are used to mediocre. I am used to perfection!
Tell me one major city that doesn't have any traffic flow problems. And like someone else mentioned previously... trying driving one of the other major metro's highways during rush hour and then compare what WE experienced this morning to that.

You may not care what others think. But they all seem to agree that your gripes were more of a temper tantrum than a constructive analysis.

Just the facts
01-06-2012, 01:27 PM
People stuck in traffic have only one person to blame - themselves. If you don't like traffic, move to downtown and walk to work. Very seldom does two pedestrians bumping into each other result in a fatality, or even an insurance claim.

adaniel
01-06-2012, 01:27 PM
I haven't driven the new Crosstown yet, but does anyone know if there's a sign that says "Dowtown, use Shields Blvd." or something similar? That seems like it would cut down on the confusion.

Sorry, but a large number of exits isn't going to help. No offense, but as long as I've been in OKC, I've noticed that drivers here are merging challenged, so a bunch of exists and entrances clustered together is a recipe for disaster.

Of Sound Mind
01-06-2012, 01:28 PM
Very seldom does two pedestrians bumping into each other result in a fatality, or even an insurance claim.
Depends on the size of the person. ;-)

Just the facts
01-06-2012, 01:33 PM
Depends on the size of the person. ;-)

I don't know - the bigger they are the more right-of-way they are granted, plus they are going slower.

SoonerBeerMan
01-06-2012, 01:36 PM
I picture lasomeday sitting in his office high above downtown OKC, banging on the windows with clinched fists, veins bulging from his neck, screaming at the poor souls on the new eastbound I-40 as they drive into the deathtrap that ODOT has created. Then, as he nervously prepares to leave work, knowing that the ONLY option of leaving downtown is to somehow navigate this "highway born from hell", he slowly crosses himself and kisses a tattered picture of his wife.

*End scene as he drives into a smoked filled horizon*

OKCisOK4me
01-06-2012, 01:37 PM
No offense, but as long as I've been in OKC, I've noticed that drivers here are merging challenged, so a bunch of exists and entrances clustered together is a recipe for disaster.

Best example of that: northbound on Hefner Parkway, people merging on from NW 63rd. What a bunch of nincompoops!

Dulahey
01-06-2012, 02:31 PM
Hate to burst your bubble, but complaining to Paul Green isn't really going to do much.

Fixes were already made this morning. Sign board is up explaining to people that there now exists an exit at Shields and an additional left turn lane at Western.

And complaining about a lane merging down is just silly. This happens all over the city all the time.

lasomeday
01-06-2012, 02:40 PM
I picture lasomeday sitting in his office high above downtown OKC, banging on the windows with clinched fists, veins bulging from his neck, screaming at the poor souls on the new eastbound I-40 as they drive into the deathtrap that ODOT has created. Then, as he nervously prepares to leave work, knowing that the ONLY option of leaving downtown is to somehow navigate this "highway born from hell", he slowly crosses himself and kisses a tattered picture of his wife.

*End scene as he drives into a smoked filled horizon*

Pretty close!

gurantula35
01-06-2012, 02:53 PM
i must say, i took the shields exit last night, didnt even know where it led, but was greatfully surprised that it led right into the middle of downtown. its jut a completely new view/entrance into downtown that i didnt know about or expect. I can't really explain what i'm tryin to say. but it was awesome so please forgive me.

jn1780
01-06-2012, 02:57 PM
He said that too many off and on ramps cause wrecks.

He's right. Thats why downtown traffic will rely on the boulevard.

I don't really take care what you guys think.
Same thought crossed my mind.

If you don't say something about problems they will never get improved! You guys are used to mediocre.
How are they suppose to improve something without someone complaining about the construction and all the temporary hassles involved?

I am used to perfection!
So do you take a pill that gives you the perfect body or do you go through the pain and sweat involved in exercising?

Dulahey
01-06-2012, 02:59 PM
i must say, i took the shields exit last night, didnt even know where it led, but was greatfully surprised that it led right into the middle of downtown. its jut a completely new view/entrance into downtown that i didnt know about or expect. I can't really explain what i'm tryin to say. but it was awesome so please forgive me.

There's a lot of people who don't know about Shields' access to downtown. It's probably the best way to get downtown, in my opinion.(6 Lanes!) And it's always been there! But I guess only people coming from the south ever used it.

jn1780
01-06-2012, 03:57 PM
ODOT Media Advisory.

Shields Blvd. exit best for access to downtown/Bricktown area The recent opening of the new eastbound I-40 Crosstown lanes brings about changes for drivers. New traffic patterns and on and off-ramps require drivers to adjust their routines for getting to downtown Oklahoma City. Those going to the downtown area or Bricktown should use the Shields Blvd. exit. The under-utilized facility is one of the larger corridors that can accommodate higher traffic volumes encountered for special events. Remember that even though traffic is starting to drive on the new eastbound lanes, the Crosstown corridor is still a construction work zone. Drivers are urged to be alert to workers and equipment while construction continues until mid-2014. Remain flexible and allow extra time locating new routes.

lasomeday
01-06-2012, 04:04 PM
He's right. Thats why downtown traffic will rely on the boulevard.

Same thought crossed my mind.

How are they suppose to improve something without someone complaining about the construction and all the temporary hassles involved?

So do you take a pill that gives you the perfect body or do you go through the pain and sweat involved in exercising?

I do things the old fashioned way at the gym. I work hard and talk to the source. I may seem like I complain on here, but I get things done. I am a doer. I know I didn't do anything to fix the problem, but I talked to someone that can fix the problem. He was out making changes to the signage and will be talking to the city about getting the stop lights on Western where they eleveate the traffic backing up. He was unaware of a few things like the lack of access to downtown due to one way streets and construction for a lot of workers. The Devon employees are all taking the Western exit because of the construction mess to get into their parking garage.

I also warned him of bottlenecks when they temporarily move the west bound traffic to three lanes instead of four in a month. It won't be pretty. Traffic at 5PM is worse than 8AM traffic.

JTF I am pursing options to live closer to my job, but it hasn't happened yet. I agree with you. Do you live close to work and walk to work?

Spartan is the only person on here that actually complains more than me, but he actually takes action and is looking at the greater good.

jn1780
01-06-2012, 04:21 PM
He was out making changes to the signage and will be talking to the city about getting the stop lights on Western where they eleveate the traffic backing up.

Already done this afternoon. Its not like they didn't have engineers observing how well the traffic flowed.

ODOTs biggest fault is having too much faith in the public and them actually paying attention to what was going on with the new I-40 and what ramps were available to them. lol

MDot
01-06-2012, 04:26 PM
Wow, the is the most relaxed I've ever seen lasomeday. Whatever pill you took, keep taking it. LOL

jungmuny
01-06-2012, 04:26 PM
ODOT Media Advisory.
Those going to the downtown area or Bricktown should use the Shields Blvd. exit. The under-utilized facility is one of the larger corridors that can accommodate higher traffic volumes encountered for special events. [/B]
Maybe the main reason is to keep visitors from seeing film row/skid row, as all the homeless resources have been relocated to the sw part of downtown, mainly from Western to Penn.

Just the facts
01-06-2012, 04:28 PM
5 new lanes of bumper to bumper traffic. That excess capacity didn't take long to get used up.

jn1780
01-06-2012, 04:50 PM
5 new lanes of bumper to bumper traffic. That excess capacity didn't take long to get used up.

Its not really five lanes yet. Its three lanes on the western and eastern ends and they have the fifth lane in the middle closed off. Plus, its mostly the two right hand lanes backing up at the Western ramp because people didn't know about Shields. Some people don't even realize Shields turns into E.K Gaylord and then turns into Broadway avenue.

Anyway, they change the timing at the stoplight at Western and people who work on the central and eastern parts of downtown should know about Shields now come Monday morning.

semisimple
01-06-2012, 05:40 PM

At only 110,000 vehicles per day (http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/aadtcnt/map.aspx?map=Oklahoma%20%20County) at its busiest section, the six lane Crosstown only saw light congestion at peak hours. It'll be decades before traffic volumes on I-40 swell to the 200k+ range where congestion will start to become a problem on the new 10-lane facility.

jn1780
01-06-2012, 05:44 PM
At only 110,000 vehicles per day (http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/aadtcnt/map.aspx?map=Oklahoma%20%20County) at its busiest section, the six lane Crosstown only saw light congestion at peak hours. It'll be decades before traffic volumes on I-40 swell to the 200k+ range where congestion will start to become a problem on the new 10-lane facility.

Not to mention a lot of the downtown traffic will be diverted to the new boulevard when its completed.

Thunder
01-06-2012, 05:50 PM
So, we know the eastbound unfortunately only have two exit ramps, Shields and Western. What about westbound? Will there still be the Classen exit? If that's taken out, I'll scream.

OKCisOK4me
01-06-2012, 05:52 PM
Yeah, my ODOT guy emailed me this afternoon to ask me if I had gotten to drive it yet. He said the reason it was so backed up at Western this morning was due to a glitch with the stoplights which threw it into a three-way red blinking stoplight but that was fixed earlier today.

OKCisOK4me
01-06-2012, 05:56 PM
So, we know the eastbound unfortunately only have two exit ramps, Shields and Western. What about westbound? Will there still be the Classen exit? If that's taken out, I'll scream.

Thunder, traveling eastbound, you can exit at Agnew, Penn, Western & Shields. Westbound will be Robinson, Western, Penn & Agnew. The boulevard interchanges will be integrated by 2014.

SSEiYah
01-06-2012, 09:13 PM
To fix rush hour problems, You'd need to make I-35 12 lanes (both directions, 6 lanes each direction) from I-40 to Norman, 12 lanes from expressway to i-240, make I-240 10 lanes both directions, 3 thru lanes to get to i-35 south from I-240, I35 would be like 18 lanes wide near I35/I240 interchange if everything was perfect.... i-40 would need to be 10 thru lanes from yukon to mwc, but your taxes would probably double to afford it all, so deal with minimal rush hour traffic for now..It is nothing compared to most cities of this size.

Once the I235 and I-44 section is done, the only slow going sections will be I-35 from downtown OKC to Moore, I-44 from Route 66 to I-240, I-40 from Council to Yukon exits, other than that it should be smooth sailing during rush hour.

Even 3 thru lanes on every interstate and 2 transition lanes from each direction would fix most rush hour problems, its all about $$. Concrete aint cheap.

ljbab728
01-06-2012, 10:15 PM
To fix rush hour problems, You'd need to make I-35 12 lanes (both directions, 6 lanes each direction) from I-40 to Norman, 12 lanes from expressway to i-240, make I-240 10 lanes both directions, 3 thru lanes to get to i-35 south from I-240, I35 would be like 18 lanes wide near I35/I240 interchange if everything was perfect.... i-40 would need to be 10 thru lanes from yukon to mwc, but your taxes would probably double to afford it all, so deal with minimal rush hour traffic for now..It is nothing compared to most cities of this size.

Once the I235 and I-44 section is done, the only slow going sections will be I-35 from downtown OKC to Moore, I-44 from Route 66 to I-240, I-40 from Council to Yukon exits, other than that it should be smooth sailing during rush hour.

Even 3 thru lanes on every interstate and 2 transition lanes from each direction would fix most rush hour problems, its all about $$. Concrete aint cheap.

SSEiYah, you don't understand Kerry's point. He is being sarcastic and thinks there should not be a freeway of any size through downtown. He's against freeways of any kind and thinks we should only have cow paths around town.