View Full Version : The New I-40 (Construction Updates)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

Bellaboo
11-02-2011, 08:07 AM
I think they are talking about opening both sides, but at the Agnew bridge, just funneling all lanes (east and west bound) over just the bridge that is built...

OKCisOK4me
11-02-2011, 11:12 AM
...which will create a bottleneck at that end.

Bellaboo
11-02-2011, 02:14 PM
Yep, there are 4 lanes of traffic that merge East bound in the construction zone..... not sure if the single bridge could handle that much traffic in both directions.

Now it could be possible that they route the West bound over to the existing West bound lanes they are using today.....then they'd have room to build the new West bound Agnew bridge.

jn1780
11-02-2011, 03:25 PM
I think it depends on the condition of the crosstown and whether or not ODOT wants to throw more money at it on repairs. I don't see any critical reason they would need to open both sides at one time.

OKCisOK4me
11-02-2011, 03:53 PM
Yeah, if they transfer traffic from current eastbound alignment that's half as much time put into patching up the current crosstown, and once they transfer traffic, most of the new main thoroughfare should be completed, leaving only the tie-ins.

Does ODOT contract a company to keep the same amount of workers who are out there today, all on this one future project or take forever and a day using 4 construction guys and one tractor and crane? If they concentrate the workers, the westbound project should be completed fairly fast and they shouldn't have to bottleneck the project.

Bellaboo
11-02-2011, 04:21 PM
Guess we'll just watch it unfold over the next 6 - 8 months...

Snowman
11-02-2011, 06:20 PM
Yeah, if they transfer traffic from current eastbound alignment that's half as much time put into patching up the current crosstown, and once they transfer traffic, most of the new main thoroughfare should be completed, leaving only the tie-ins.

Does ODOT contract a company to keep the same amount of workers who are out there today, all on this one future project or take forever and a day using 4 construction guys and one tractor and crane? If they concentrate the workers, the westbound project should be completed fairly fast and they shouldn't have to bottleneck the project.

I believe they negotiated it down to just forever.

ljbab728
11-02-2011, 09:49 PM
I went by there today for the first time in a couple of weeks and noticed that they were starting to erect the posts for the overhead road signs.

jn1780
11-03-2011, 03:15 PM
I went by there today for the first time in a couple of weeks and noticed that they were starting to erect the posts for the overhead road signs.

Yeah, I noticed that too. They basically have the overhead "water pipes" assembled and ready to be erected sometime in the future.

Anyone notice the concrete "pouring" process? They don't actually pour it from a concrete truck like you would expect. Instead they dump it from dump trucks in front of the concrete paving machine and that machine shapes, compacts, and smooths it into a roadway. I thought it was interesting anyway. Lol

Snowman
11-03-2011, 05:48 PM
Yeah, I noticed that too. They basically have the overhead "water pipes" assembled and ready to be erected sometime in the future.

Anyone notice the concrete "pouring" process? They don't actually pour it from a concrete truck like you would expect. Instead they dump it from dump trucks in front of the concrete paving machine and that machine shapes, compacts, and smooths it into a roadway. I thought it was interesting anyway. Lol

That has been the process for decades for any long continues stretch, most of the current system was done the same way.

Bellaboo
11-04-2011, 11:19 AM
We've hashed this before, I drive thru there twice daily 5 days a week, and I just don't see how they can open both directions by December 21. I can see the East bound I-40, but not the West bound.

They were starting to pour the roadbed for the last 2 lanes for the East bound connection for the new I-40 into I-235/ I-35 this morning....The connection for West bound I-40 has not been started at either end of the new roadway.

jn1780
11-04-2011, 12:18 PM
We've hashed this before, I drive thru there twice daily 5 days a week, and I just don't see how they can open both directions by December 21. I can see the East bound I-40, but not the West bound.

They were starting to pour the roadbed for the last 2 lanes for the East bound connection for the new I-40 into I-235/ I-35 this morning....The connection for West bound I-40 has not been started at either end of the new roadway.

If your talking strictly about the east and west connections, I believe the assumption is they would put down temporary asphalt IF they were going to switch over both lanes of traffic.

Bellaboo
11-04-2011, 12:30 PM
East bound looks as if they will have the concrete totally poured. I can see where they can do a temporary connection on West bound with asphalt.

OKCisOK4me
11-04-2011, 01:51 PM
Instead of continuing speculation, I guess I could email my ODOT guy and see what info he can give.

MDot
11-04-2011, 02:26 PM
Instead of continuing speculation, I guess I could email my ODOT guy and see what info he can give.

I would recommend that. :Smiley199

Bellaboo
11-04-2011, 03:00 PM
Yep, we need an official update.

OKCisOK4me
11-04-2011, 07:35 PM
Email sent. Probably be Monday before a reply is received so hold tight!

OKCisOK4me
11-07-2011, 10:22 AM
Got an email response back from my guy. Basically, eastbound will be transferred first with westbound shortly following as they create the bottleneck scenario. At that time all traffic will be on the new alignment while said westbound connectors are constructed. As for a date, he could not specify and it seemed as though the December 21st date was false info. So look for some time in 2012 for the whole project to be completed!

Bellaboo
11-07-2011, 10:59 AM
Thanks, that clears it up a bit.

MDot
11-07-2011, 11:03 AM
Thanks; I thought December 21st sounded way too soon, like everyone else.

Pete
11-07-2011, 11:12 AM
"Sometime in 2012"... Another open-ended date.

Anybody remember the original timeline for this project? Wasn't it supposed to be finished years ago?

SSEiYah
11-07-2011, 11:41 AM
Driving to work on the crosstown today, trying to get this picture out of my head:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/18/Cypress_structure.jpeg/800px-Cypress_structure.jpeg

jn1780
11-07-2011, 06:04 PM
By the looks of it, westbound will cross back to its own side after sharing the Agnew and May bridge with eastbound. There is an unfinished gap on the far left hand lane of the new eastbound side just before reaching the May bridge. Presumably this is so there is more room to provide a more gradual decline.

MDot
11-07-2011, 06:20 PM
Driving to work on the crosstown today, trying to get this picture out of my head:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/18/Cypress_structure.jpeg/800px-Cypress_structure.jpeg

Dude, you're scaring me. =(

Bellaboo
11-07-2011, 06:45 PM
I'm not as scared for the crosstown falling, as they do inspect it very regularly, as the issue of zero shoulders...anytime a car stalls, etc, it's a serious traffic issue on the bridge. The new road will have shoulders along with the extra lanes.

Watson410
11-07-2011, 09:47 PM
I'm not as scared for the crosstown falling, as they do inspect it very regularly, as the issue of zero shoulders...anytime a car stalls, etc, it's a serious traffic issue on the bridge. The new road will have shoulders along with the extra lanes.

They can inspect it all they want.. One good earthquake could do that to a bridge that "appears" good enough for traffic. I just hope and pray none of us are on it when it happens.

rcjunkie
11-08-2011, 03:33 AM
They can inspect it all they want.. One good earthquake could do that to a bridge that "appears" good enough for traffic. I just hope and pray none of us are on it when it happens.

You could be in your car, setting in your driveway and one major earthquake could be the end.

Of Sound Mind
11-08-2011, 06:17 AM
I'm not as scared for the crosstown falling, as they do inspect it very regularly....
That stretch has been falling apart even without earthquakes... I drive it when I have to, but any extra factors working against the crosstown -- especially the earthquakes -- certainly doesn't boost my confidence in its integrity.

Martin
11-08-2011, 07:03 AM
Anybody remember the original timeline for this project? Wasn't it supposed to be finished years ago?

for the past several years, 2012 is the target date i've always heard. -M

Bellaboo
11-08-2011, 02:19 PM
Well shucks ! We're going to get the Skydance bridge as a Christmas present and then we'll have to wait several months to drive under it.

MDot
11-08-2011, 04:12 PM
Well shucks ! We're going to get the Skydance bridge as a Christmas present and then we'll have to wait several months to drive under it.

Kinda like when you order something online and have to wait a week or so to get the product depending on the shipping. Lol

vaflyer
11-09-2011, 09:40 AM
Here is some information relevant to the opening of the new I-40. ODOT is currently in the process of taking bids for the project that includes constructing the westbound bridge over Agnew. Those bids will be opened on November 17, 2011 and the contract will be awarded on December 5, 2011. ODOT has the plans for that project available on their web page (some looking is required). In the plans, it clearly shows that the starting configuration for traffic on I-40 is on the new road. Specifically, three lanes of traffic in each direction will use the eastbound Agnew bridge. There usually are a couple months of time between when a contract is awarded and when construction starts. That would imply an early 2012 start which means traffic would already have to be on the new I-40 by then.

jn1780
11-09-2011, 06:54 PM
Here is some information relevant to the opening of the new I-40. ODOT is currently in the process of taking bids for the project that includes constructing the westbound bridge over Agnew. Those bids will be opened on November 17, 2011 and the contract will be awarded on December 5, 2011. ODOT has the plans for that project available on their web page (some looking is required). In the plans, it clearly shows that the starting configuration for traffic on I-40 is on the new road. Specifically, three lanes of traffic in each direction will use the eastbound Agnew bridge. There usually are a couple months of time between when a contract is awarded and when construction starts. That would imply an early 2012 start which means traffic would already have to be on the new I-40 by then.

Your right and looking ahead the first boulevard related project will go out to bid in January. I think December or January is a safe bet even though ODOT does not want to commit to any specific date.

Bellaboo
11-10-2011, 07:00 AM
They may not want to make some kind of promise in case the weather went bad and the contractors couldn't get it open.

jn1780
11-10-2011, 03:52 PM
The overhead sign structures on the west end went up today. Also, the new Lincoln bridge will open tomorrow and the detour road going directly across the new I-40 will close.

The press release says the mainline paving contracts will be completed within a few months and the crosstown bridge will be demolished in 2012.

http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/newsmedia/press/2011/11-069_lincoln_detour_closes_crosstown_construction_a dvances.pdf

OKCisOK4me
11-10-2011, 04:29 PM
That's awesome news...besides, the grand entrance on the arena would be lost without it coming down!

MDot
11-10-2011, 04:32 PM
So with bids for the new boulevard going out in January and the old I-40 being demolished sometime next year I'm presuming the new boulevard will start construction next year as well, correct?

OKCisOK4me
11-10-2011, 04:53 PM
^^not necessarily...^^

SSEiYah
11-10-2011, 05:29 PM
They built the Lincoln bridge pretty fast compared to the others.

jn1780
11-10-2011, 06:27 PM
So with bids for the new boulevard going out in January and the old I-40 being demolished sometime next year I'm presuming the new boulevard will start construction next year as well, correct?

Part of it. The western area where it connects to I-40 is the first boulevard project. Then A couple of projects just to build the railroad bridge.

Snowman
11-10-2011, 09:41 PM
They built the Lincoln bridge pretty fast compared to the others.

If was one of the few where they just built the bridge and the limiting factor was how many people and pieces of equipment was assigned. I am trying to think of any of the other bridges where they did not have at least one span or ramp that did not have to wait months on another phase of the project to complete.

jungmuny
11-11-2011, 03:44 PM
just went over the Lincoln ave bridge. Its basically functionalist with thick concrete barricades and 8 inch raised sidewalks on both sides. Would have pretty nice views once the sidewalks open

Bellaboo
11-11-2011, 03:47 PM
Okay,

Hopefully I can explain this.... The new overhead huge water pipe sign poles (2 of them now), has the extensions to hold the signs. On the south side of the huge pole standard are metal brackets, they are for east bound traffic, they are on the west side of the overhead pole. On the north side of the standard, they (the brackets to hold the signs) are on the esat side of the pole standard. This means they will have traffic in both directions of the new eastbound I-40.
Hope this was clear......

jn1780
11-11-2011, 04:53 PM
Okay,

Hopefully I can explain this.... The new overhead huge water pipe sign poles (2 of them now), has the extensions to hold the signs. On the south side of the huge pole standard are metal brackets, they are for east bound traffic, they are on the west side of the overhead pole. On the north side of the standard, they (the brackets to hold the signs) are on the esat side of the pole standard. This means they will have traffic in both directions of the new eastbound I-40.
Hope this was clear......

Yeah, I noticed that. I think were all on the same page that both sides will share eastbound from Agnew to Penn. The only question is when this switch will take place. There is still a lot of work to be done along the middle stretch of I-40 with only 1 lane completed of eastbound.

Bellaboo
11-11-2011, 05:52 PM
Also,

If you look close, they left a section to the west of May ave for the temporary placement of roadbed for traffic to cross back over to the original west bound I-40.

Bellaboo
11-11-2011, 05:55 PM
Yeah, I noticed that. I think were all on the same page that both sides will share eastbound from Agnew to Penn. The only question is when this switch will take place. There is still a lot of work to be done along the middle stretch of I-40 with only 1 lane completed of eastbound.

I don't know about the middle sections, but the East end is almost ready. The lanes have basically been poured, they just need to connect now to I-35.

Snowman
11-11-2011, 06:22 PM
Has all the temporary railroad track alignments and work on the underground structures near Union Station completed? If so the remaining grading and paving in the middle section should go fairly quickly.

jn1780
11-11-2011, 08:22 PM
I don't know about the middle sections, but the East end is almost ready. The lanes have basically been poured, they just need to connect now to I-35.

From what I can looking from shields was 1 maybe 2 lanes of east bound completed. There was a lot of activity and work though.

And yes, the railroad tracks are completed and roads graded with the asphalt layer in place. Its all ready for the concrete roadway.

Bellaboo
11-11-2011, 09:15 PM
I can see them opening it up at the end of the year, if weather permits the concrete work. I know that's not what the inside information said though.

Larry OKC
11-12-2011, 05:12 AM
Your right and looking ahead the first boulevard related project will go out to bid in January. I think December or January is a safe bet even though ODOT does not want to commit to any specific date.

Does that mean they have settled on a design (number of lanes etc)???

Larry OKC
11-12-2011, 05:26 AM
"Sometime in 2012"... Another open-ended date.

Yes. According to an ODoT "Timeline" PDF file I ran across sometime ago, the Crosstown was to begin construction n 2004 and completed in 2007 with the Boulevard teardown/construction in 2008-09. The entire relocation project completed by 2010.

"Only" 5 years behind schedule so far with the Boulevard still to go and total costs doubled from the original $360 million (Federal funding delays and lawsuits didn't help matters any).

But as someone else posted, the 2012 date has been used for a while now. Not sure if that date included the Boulevard completion since the relocation project keeps getting sub-divided and the Boulevard seems to be a separate project now.

Snowman
11-12-2011, 11:19 AM
Yes. According to an ODoT "Timeline" PDF file I ran across sometime ago, the Crosstown was to begin construction n 2004 and completed in 2007 with the Boulevard teardown/construction in 2008-09. The entire relocation project completed by 2010.

"Only" 5 years behind schedule so far with the Boulevard still to go and total costs doubled from the original $360 million (Federal funding delays and lawsuits didn't help matters any).

But as someone else posted, the 2012 date has been used for a while now. Not sure if that date included the Boulevard completion since the relocation project keeps getting sub-divided and the Boulevard seems to be a separate project now.

2014 has been used as the estimate for a few years on the completion of the Boulevard.

kevinpate
11-12-2011, 12:14 PM
2014 has been used as the estimate for a few years on the completion of the Boulevard.

True, but it does seem a rather unrealistic estimate.

Watson410
11-12-2011, 12:32 PM
@Kevinpate- Not really, it shouldn't take long at all. It all depends on when in 2012 they actually get started on it. There's already a path where the Boulevard will go, It's not like they have to move railroad tracks and utilities like they did with the new crosstown. Once they get the old crosstown demolished, I would think the rest of the project would move rather quickly.

SkyWestOKC
11-12-2011, 12:35 PM
They have all the ROW's for the Boulevard, there aren't private properties in the way, it should go rather quickly. Like Watson mentioned, they also don't have railroads and utilities to deal with.

jn1780
11-12-2011, 08:16 PM
Does that mean they have settled on a design (number of lanes etc)???

I don't know if they decided what the design will be going through the core of downtown, but the eight year plan had a project that said something along the lines of "overlay and restrip from Penn to Western" so it sounds like their basically going to 'recycle' the unelevated portion of the old I-40.

Urban Pioneer
11-13-2011, 09:22 AM
Interestingly, McArthur Associates is doing "presentations" on the new Boulevard this upcoming Convention Center and Parks Subcommittee meetings this week.

jungmuny
11-13-2011, 04:26 PM
I found a different press release from this Thursday. In it there are of a couple references of i40 ramps/lanes being closed "until 2012". This might back up the theory of a Jan 2012 opening imo
odot press release (http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/newsmedia/traffax/okc/thursday_nov_10.pdf)

Snowman
11-13-2011, 05:22 PM
I found a different press release from this Thursday. In it there are of a couple references of i40 ramps/lanes being closed "until 2012". This might back up the theory of a Jan 2012 opening imo
odot press release (http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/newsmedia/traffax/okc/thursday_nov_10.pdf)

Unfortunately the time references their tend to be a bit optimistic, and in this case they did not even add early, mid or late to the year as they often do. It does pretty much rule out December 2011 though.

jn1780
11-13-2011, 07:23 PM
ODOT has the preliminary plans for the Crosstown demolition lisited for November contracts and proposals, but its not on their November bid opening sheet.

http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/contracts/a2011/plans1111/290_1711_IMY-XTWN(067)_1742877/A%20FULL%20FILE.pdf

It was originally scheduled to be letted in April(8 year plan) along with that western end project that goes up for bid this month.