View Full Version : America's Pub

Pages : 1 [2]

dismayed
05-11-2009, 07:10 PM
I love how they scan your ID when you go in--hadn't seen that used anywhere in OKC before.

What is the purpose of this?

There is a lot of information stored in that bar code. It's not an ordinary bar code, it's a two dimensional barcode. It contains your name, address, race, age, weight, height, DL#, etc. Basically most everything listed on the front of your license.

Perhaps it's just to confirm your age, but honestly I don't trust anyone who does that... it is just an invasion of privacy.

OKCMallen
05-11-2009, 07:23 PM
The girl at the tag agency even told me it stores some fingerprint info too....not sure how that works, but I don't know why she'd lie.

okyeah
05-11-2009, 07:55 PM
What is the purpose of this?

The purpose is to prove that your ID is not a fake ID. The business could get into a lot of trouble if underage people are let in and buy drinks...so I guess this is one way to counteract that. They've been doing this for years at clubs in other states. Now, I'm not a nationwide clubber, but 3-4 years ago I visited Florida. The clubs in Miami and even the ones in Boca Raton did this.

onthestrip
05-11-2009, 07:59 PM
The time I went, they not only scanned it, but also set it on a stand with a camera above it and snapped a picture of the front, then saved it on their computer. Not something I liked being done just to enter a bar.

OKCisOK4me
05-11-2009, 08:27 PM
The time I went, they not only scanned it, but also set it on a stand with a camera above it and snapped a picture of the front, then saved it on their computer. Not something I liked being done just to enter a bar.

It's nothing new. The 'free cigarettes' people would come in with their scanner/computers and scan your ID every time they hooked us up with two packs of cigarettes. Just the first time I've seen a venue use the technology.

OKCMallen
05-12-2009, 07:36 AM
It's nothing new. The 'free cigarettes' people would come in with their scanner/computers and scan your ID every time they hooked us up with two packs of cigarettes. Just the first time I've seen a venue use the technology.

Well, that seems different to me; you know they want it for marketing purposes and you're getting something out of it. At the club, they don't NEED that information, but they're taking it anyway in what seems to me to be overkill to avoid liability.

Of course, I guess you don't HAVE to go into the club, so they can kinda do whatever they want regarding IDs.

LM401
05-12-2009, 08:20 AM
I have had my I.D. scanned before in OKC. I believe the first place I remember it occurring was at Edna's on Classen.

PLANSIT
05-12-2009, 09:20 AM
Deceiving name.

SeinfeldBlock
05-12-2009, 12:31 PM
Deceiving name.

It is! It's not a pub at all. (To me at least...) lol

Dave Cook
05-12-2009, 03:50 PM
Hooka bar may be the oldest "trend" in the world. For those of us who travel outside of OK or the US, we have been enjoying hooka pipes at restaurants and bars around the world for years. Just because some of us Okies are just now seeing what is happening elsewhere in the world doesn't make it a trendy phenomena. Some of us would like to enjoy what we enjoy when we travel.

don't knock what you don't know.

Okay Rover.....let's have a snob-off! :wink:

Look, I'm fully aware of the history behind hookah. I think my post was a little vague. I'm not saying hookah itself is a trend, rather the fad of white kids sitting around trying to look 'cool' is the ugly new fad.

Case in point, visit the hookah bar in Paseo. It's typically packed with the ultra-hipster crowd...smoking hookah, drinking German beer, and listening to Indian sitar music...or some such silliness. What you'll also notice is a complete lack of minorities. Isn't that kind of odd?

I went in there once with some East Indian friends and they immediately started rolling their eyes. If these kids are REALLY into this particular culture, why aren't they down at Samir's or associating with immigrants or something of that nature....rather than being mini-socialites in the territory.

That, my friend, is a trend.

Next thing you know....soul food will be the trend....where you won't have to (shudder) sit in the same joint with black people.

wsucougz
05-12-2009, 07:00 PM
okay rover.....let's have a snob-off

i went in there once with some east indian friends

winner!

okyeah
05-12-2009, 10:38 PM
Okay Rover.....let's have a snob-off! :wink:

Look, I'm fully aware of the history behind hookah. I think my post was a little vague. I'm not saying hookah itself is a trend, rather the fad of white kids sitting around trying to look 'cool' is the ugly new fad.

Case in point, visit the hookah bar in Paseo. It's typically packed with the ultra-hipster crowd...smoking hookah, drinking German beer, and listening to Indian sitar music...or some such silliness. What you'll also notice is a complete lack of minorities. Isn't that kind of odd?

I went in there once with some East Indian friends and they immediately started rolling their eyes. If these kids are REALLY into this particular culture, why aren't they down at Samir's or associating with immigrants or something of that nature....rather than being mini-socialites in the territory.

That, my friend, is a trend.

Next thing you know....soul food will be the trend....where you won't have to (shudder) sit in the same joint with black people.

If you want to see hipsters of all different races/ethnicities smoking hookah, you should go to greenhouse at 28th & classen. its in a strip mall in the Asian district.

Dave Cook
05-13-2009, 12:16 AM
winner!

:LolLolLol

Nothing says pretentiousness like hanging out with the darkies!

sxl
05-13-2009, 02:30 PM
this thread is awesome.http://smilies.newcastlebeats.com/smilies/jerry.gif