View Full Version : WKY/"Jox930" dead?

SoonerDave
12-16-2008, 09:41 AM
Looks like Citadel has pulled the plug on the Jox930 sportstalk station on WKY930....their website has been replaced with a static WKY banner, and at least some of their air people have been moved to WWLS....

Anyone know any details? Last ratings for Jox930 were worse than horrible, and I always wondered why OKC needed yet another sportsradio outlet...

Wonder what's next for WKY...

FFLady
12-16-2008, 11:07 AM
Does anyone know if they (WKY) still have their Hispanic format? I seem to remember a couple years ago WKY Talk, with some pretty good air time - Traber, B. Copeland, Ron Black, etc....I thought those ratings were pretty good, and Citadel replaced it with the Hispanic format. (Sorry can't remember if it was 930, or not).......?

Midtowner
12-16-2008, 11:11 AM
Does anyone know if they (WKY) still have their Hispanic format? I seem to remember a couple years ago WKY Talk, with some pretty good air time - Traber, B. Copeland, Ron Black, etc....I thought those ratings were pretty good, and Citadel replaced it with the Hispanic format. (Sorry can't remember if it was 930, or not).......?

The talk format was excellent.

I miss Ron Black. The man actually did research. (unheard of for radio people these days).

okclee
12-16-2008, 12:39 PM
I hope that jox keeps the all ESPN format. I like our local sports but also like to hear a little national perspective and the ESPN radio is the best.

fire121
12-16-2008, 01:43 PM
Are they off the air?

Just playing espn 24 hrs?

I did enjoy the local guys that used to be on.

I agree, do some research and tell me something other than the same info every other talking head is repeating.
I like Brad Copeland and Ron Black for local guys.

SoonerDave
12-16-2008, 04:28 PM
They're running ESPN 24/7 right now. Don't know if that's the long-term plan...

okclee
12-16-2008, 06:14 PM
I like the 24/7 ESPN, if we want local talk there is 640 and 1400. I will miss Billy Tubbs though.

oneforone
12-17-2008, 01:04 AM
Don't forget Fox Sports Radio is on 1340 as well.

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
12-19-2008, 01:33 PM
They're running ESPN 24/7 right now. Don't know if that's the long-term plan...

Let's hope so. I like that I can still listen to Mike and Mike in the morning on my way home.

CCOKC
12-20-2008, 04:36 PM
I also liked Billy Tubbs in the morning and Ron Thulin in the afternoon. They seemed to talk what was going on in sports in a calm and rational way and not too sensational. Not too surprised about this since they had a lot of PSA's during the breaks and not many real ads.

zcamaro70
12-20-2008, 10:37 PM
Link to story on Jox930 from newsokMobile Breaking Oklahoma News | NewsOK.com (http://newsok.com/poor-ratings-doomed-local-sports-talk-radio-station/article/3331278)

Nermel
12-23-2008, 08:58 PM
According to the radio-info.com boards, 930 & 105.3 will swap. Basically the ESPN programming will be on 105.3 and the regional mexican on 930.

oneforone
12-28-2008, 12:40 PM
Is this the same board that had proof that 94.7 The Buzz was going to be KTOK's new FM home after their weekend of playing nothing but metallica and no commericals?

Monday morning came and it was soon realized that 94.7 was doing a publicity stunt to start their new campaign of slamming the KATT and weeding out the wuss rock.

Midtowner
12-28-2008, 02:23 PM
I heard that the regional mexican station didn't do very well at all.

Such a shame for such a historically important station to be non-english.

MikeOKC
12-28-2008, 04:13 PM
I wish they would go with the old Big Band and Standards format. It would fit perfectly on AM and does pretty well in a few markets. Niche format to be sure, but at least nobody is doing it here and AM radio is tough if it's not talk. But Big Band and Standards along with network news on the hour and Old Time Radio shows after 9PM and all day Sundays would get some people talking. There's too much sameness on the radio.

Another option for WKY would be a "classic oldies" station. Real true oldies from the '50s and '60s with a lot of personality. KOMA has done well with the mainstream oldies format, but they play very little of what they did even five years ago. It's mostly 1965-1979 with an emphasis on the '70s.

Not as good as the other two options, but I would even like to see maybe something like Citadel's "Timeless" format (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeless_(radio_network))for AM in Oklahoma City, with an emphasis on the standards.

Must be something different.

FFLady
12-29-2008, 11:22 AM
The talk format was excellent.

I miss Ron Black. The man actually did research. (unheard of for radio people these days).

I agree....Plus I loved the "local" format....it seems most "talk" stations are local only in certain time slots, then they send it to the Limbaugh or the Hannity's......

I liked OUR GUYS!!!!!

oneforone
12-29-2008, 01:02 PM
I liked WKY's talk format for the most part. Mark Shannon, and Ron Black were the working dogs of the station. The rest of the hosts just put me to sleep.

rkjg24
01-01-2009, 11:22 AM
Is this the same board that had proof that 94.7 The Buzz was going to be KTOK's new FM home after their weekend of playing nothing but metallica and no commericals?

Monday morning came and it was soon realized that 94.7 was doing a publicity stunt to start their new campaign of slamming the KATT and weeding out the wuss rock.

Nowadays I find myself listening more to the Buzz than the KATT because I got tired of hearing all the older rock. If I wanted older rock, I would listen to KRXO.

I will say this tho: the Buzz's commercial ads slamming the KATT every five minutes are really stupid.

oneforone
01-01-2009, 02:13 PM
Nowadays I find myself listening more to the Buzz than the KATT because I got tired of hearing all the older rock. If I wanted older rock, I would listen to KRXO.

I will say this tho: the Buzz's commercial ads slamming the KATT every five minutes are really stupid.

The Buzz is descent but, it does not hold a candle to KMOD 97.5 in Tulsa.

KMOD plays the perfect mix of the old rock and the new rock.

Soonerman
01-02-2009, 09:21 PM
The Buzz is descent but, it does not hold a candle to KMOD 97.5 in Tulsa.

KMOD plays the perfect mix of the old rock and the new rock.

Z94 outta Lawton plays good amount of classic and new rock too.

oneforone
01-03-2009, 03:31 AM
Z94 outta Lawton plays good amount of classic and new rock too.

Can you pick it up here in OKC? I can pick up KMOD in my truck in the South and East parts of the metro.