View Full Version : That time of year for party appetizers. What is your favorite?

FRISKY
12-04-2008, 05:47 PM
One of my favorites:

ESCARGOT A LA BOURGUIGNONNE
RecipeSource: Escargot a la Bourguignonne (http://www.recipesource.com/munchies/appetizers/12/rec1226.html)
Substitute mushroom caps for snail shells.
Use fresh Shallots and escargot.
Serve in small, individual baking cups or stainless steel cups.
For a stronger flavor, use bourbon instead of brandy.

jc4455
12-04-2008, 06:01 PM
stir-fried squirrel nuggets

best if fresh

it's like bacon dipped in golden greasy bacony heaven.

FRISKY
12-05-2008, 06:49 AM
Stir-fried squirrel nuggets

Best if fresh.

It's like bacon dipped in golden, greasy, bacony heaven.I thought you were joking, but looked it up on Google and found several interesting recipes.
Squirrel Nuggets (http://www.backwoodsbound.com/zsquir18.html)
I have hunted :elmer3: and cooked :chef: squirrel when I was a kid, but didn't care for the gamey taste. This looks like it might be pretty good. Now I know what to do with those bushy little suckers that I run over with my car.

MadMonk
12-05-2008, 09:25 AM
This isn't as sophisticated as escargo, but for a casual party appetizer or finger food, I like to make Cream Cheese Pickle Rolls.

Cream Cheese Pickle Rolls:

Whole pickles of your choice (I prefer zesty dills)
Medium-thin slices of ham or roast beef. Slices should be long enough to wrap completely around the pickles and thick enough to hold together during preparation.
Cream cheese - softened
Optional - basil or sun-dried tomato pesto

Pat dry the slices of meat with a paper towel to dry. Spread the cream cheese in a thin, even layer on the meat slices. Dry the pickles off with a paper towel and roll them up in the meat, leaving the seam side down.

Chill them in the freezer for 5-10 minutes. Take them out and slice them into medallions as thick or thin as you like, reserving the ends of the pickles for the preparer. ;):Smiley259 Serve on a chilled platter to keep them cold.

Variations:
I like to use good prosciutto and put a thin layer of pesto (basil or sun-dried tomato) in addition to the cream cheese.

When I bring these to a party, there are never any remaining after the party is over. My mouth is watering just writing this all down. :hungry:;)

NativeOkie
12-05-2008, 06:46 PM
Not classy but they are always gone!
Lil' Smokies in Bar B Q Sauce.

fire121
12-06-2008, 11:33 PM
Rattle Snake Eggs

Jalapeno Peppers
Philadelphia Cream Cheese
Sun Dried Tomato
Bacon

Slice open the jalapenos, fill with the cheese/sun dried tomato mixture, wrap with bacon and grill. You gotta watch them closely, they will flare up.
Very rich, and very hot, chase with the ice cold beer of your choice!

FRISKY
12-07-2008, 02:12 AM
Those sound good. I'm getting hungry!

Here is another favorite:

Sausage and Cheeze dip.

Cooks.com - Recipe - Meaty Nacho Dip (http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1615,130177-251195,00.html)
I use a crock-pot to melt the cheeze and keep it melted for dipping.
Serve with your favorite chips. I use Fritos Scoops and Tostitos.