View Full Version : Market C (closed)

Pages : 1 [2] 3

metro
05-26-2009, 11:56 AM
Tried a few more new things from Market C last week. Had the blue cheese & spinach dip, it was quite tasty. Also had a few new flavors of the cupcakes, the dreamsicle was pretty good and the vanilla bean was outstanding, and I don't even care much for vanilla! Still a few more new ones to try, they have 5 cupcake flavors, and all I've tried are better than Cuppies & Joe, and the hot chocolate cupcake is the best in the metro IMO.

soonerfangirl
03-24-2010, 08:33 PM
I tried this place though the Groupon deal and since have been getting items 3-4 times a week and everything has been good to excellent. The spinach salad is the only thing I would not get again. (Someone else told me they would not get the beef wellington again)

The veggie lasagna and mushroom relleno are my favorites, with the cranberry mac and cheese ranking way up there. IMO, the prices are extremely reasonable on the take-out food. I'm just starting to sample the desserts, but the tiramisu pie I got tonight was wonderful! Can't wait to try the 1/2 chicken I got for sandwiches for lunch tomorrow.

betts
03-26-2010, 04:28 PM
Try the strudel with chicken, peppers and jack cheese. At Cheevers they drizzle it with balsamic. Totally amazing.

soonerfangirl
04-03-2010, 05:54 PM
Ok, seriously, I am a huge Market C fan, but the desserts aren't quite living up to the prices. $24.00/lb for toffee made a small piece $2 and it just wasn't worth it. Still loving the take-out entrees --- but went today for the ribs and they were sold out! I just wish if they advertise something on Facebook they would let people know if it sells out!

ImTheDude
04-05-2010, 12:32 PM
I tried it on Saturdayt with the groupon coupon and while the food was good, I don't really get the concept. For the price, I'd rather just get a to go meal from Cheevers or Iron Starr and that way I don't have to microwave it at home.

BBatesokc
01-12-2011, 10:13 AM
Been reading on their Twitter feed that they are closing their doors.

Friday 1/14 is their last day.

Too bad, but not like you couldn't see that coming.

onthestrip
01-12-2011, 10:20 AM
And Iron Starr in Norman closed too. Not terribly surprised about Market C. I wonder what use they can find for that building now. Iron Starr in Norman kind of shocked me though. Never been to that location but I figured it would do well. Maybe part of the reason is that there is a ton of competition on Campus Corner.

bandnerd
01-12-2011, 11:18 AM
Sad for both. I'm a bit surprised about Iron Starr in Norman, though.

ksearls
01-12-2011, 12:08 PM
Anyone who has been involved in the Norman/Campus Corner retail or restaurant business will tell you that it is a very tricky market. I think the challenges of seasonal and event driven business are very similar to those issues faced in Bricktown.

metro
01-12-2011, 12:10 PM
Just got back from loading up at the C, it was packed and picked over. Get there today if you want something.

tuck
01-12-2011, 12:32 PM
Anyone who has been involved in the Norman/Campus Corner retail or restaurant business will tell you that it is a very tricky market. I think the challenges of seasonal and event driven business are very similar to those issues faced in Bricktown.

You said it...very tricky and inconsistent!

tuck
01-12-2011, 12:37 PM
Metro..."Bites The Dust" is a little strong in my opinion. Market-C has always done fine, especially for 500 sq ft.
The sole reason for the closing to make more room for Cheevers Catering. We bought and renovated this location strictly because the catering business was becoming too large to be housed at Cheevers Cafe...they needed a home. We have run into the same issue here, they need more room to operate. We hated to make this decision, but it's best for everyone.

okclee
01-12-2011, 01:12 PM
Any chance you could re-locate and re-open Market C?

I am sure you wouldn't have trouble finding another small space especially nearby along 23rd.

Very sad to see it go, I had always thought that business was good. I would always stop by especially after eating at Cheevers.

metro
01-12-2011, 01:25 PM
Metro..."Bites The Dust" is a little strong in my opinion. Market-C has always done fine, especially for 500 sq ft.
The sole reason for the closing to make more room for Cheevers Catering. We bought and renovated this location strictly because the catering business was becoming too large to be housed at Cheevers Cafe...they needed a home. We have run into the same issue here, they need more room to operate. We hated to make this decision, but it's best for everyone.

I think you mistaken me for Brian Bates post.

metro
01-12-2011, 01:27 PM

I am sure you wouldn't have trouble finding another small space especially nearby along 23rd.

Very sad to see it go, I had always thought that business was good. I would always stop by especially after eating at Cheevers.

What he said.

okclee
01-12-2011, 01:35 PM
At least the building won't be vacant and the lights will be on. Love seeing the Red C at night and the building is like a piece of art.

tuck
01-12-2011, 02:12 PM
I think you mistaken me for Brian Bates post.

Metro: Huge apology coming your way...surprised me totally; you have been one of our best customers! I'll redirect to Brian...

BBatesokc
01-12-2011, 02:27 PM
Redirect away, all seems pretty silly to me. You can wrap the words up in whatever bow and ribbons you want to, but in the end it still means "out of business."

Had food from there twice. It was good, but too expensive and inconvenient in my opinion. Like I said, I don't think many were shocked to hear it was closing. Not that it was bad or didn't have a following, I just can't recall any take away food places that last very long in OKC.

OKCMallen
01-12-2011, 03:23 PM
Redirect away, all seems pretty silly to me. You can wrap the words up in whatever bow and ribbons you want to, but in the end it still means "out of business."

Had food from there twice. It was good, but too expensive and inconvenient in my opinion. Like I said, I don't think many were shocked to hear it was closing. Not that it was bad or didn't have a following, I just can't recall any take away food places that last very long in OKC.

I don't think you're getting any extra truffle butter at RED any time soon. Nor should you. Sheesh. Tough crowd lately. Everyone wants to sound like a genius and act like a tough guy.

DeluxeOK
01-12-2011, 04:29 PM
It could easily be seen as repurposing their existing property. If Cheevers catering is doing well enough to expand, let them! I know friends will miss Market C but Good Egg knows its needs - I agree that "Bites the dust" is harsh.
Even the headline in the Oklahoman was a bit negative - "Tough times for A Good Egg" - But I come from a PR background, and I'd prefer to see the positive side of things, given a choice.

BBatesokc
01-12-2011, 08:51 PM
I don't think you're getting any extra truffle butter at RED any time soon. Nor should you. Sheesh. Tough crowd lately. Everyone wants to sound like a genius and act like a tough guy.

And some like to make comments that assert too much. I certainly wasn't making 'tough guy' or 'genius' statements - I simply pointed out that Market C was closing their doors and obviously Tuck didn't like my choice of words even though I made no disparaging remarks. I followed it up with my opinion of the establishment - again without taking any unnecessary jabs (totally out of character for me I might add).

lasomeday
01-12-2011, 11:42 PM
And some like to make comments that assert too much. I certainly wasn't making 'tough guy' or 'genius' statements - I simply pointed out that Market C was closing their doors and obviously Tuck didn't like my choice of words even though I made no disparaging remarks. I followed it up with my opinion of the establishment - again without taking any unnecessary jabs (totally out of character for me I might add).

I know if I was closing a business, I would be a little sensitive to someone saying it bit the dust. I wouldn't have been as classy as Tuck.

blangtang
01-13-2011, 12:53 AM
People need to understand that the closing of failing businesses is a positive. That whole strip across the street from Big Truck Tacos is ripe for something, maybe another wig shop

Brett
01-13-2011, 04:37 AM
Whole Foods is coming!
Whole Foods is coming!
Close your doors and shutter your windows!
Whole Foods is coming!

:ohno:

BBatesokc
01-13-2011, 05:33 AM
I know if I was closing a business, I would be a little sensitive to someone saying it bit the dust. I wouldn't have been as classy as Tuck.

Sure, but then again you should probably be level headed enough to realize you're being overly sensitive and a little too close to the topic. I mean give me a break, there are hundreds of threads on this forum that would probably offend or at least somewhat bother whomever the thread is directed at. 'Class' is the last thing most threads are about and I'm cool with that.

That whole strip across the street from Big Truck Tacos is ripe for something,

I would really like to see that whole strip full of mixed retail and food.

metro
01-13-2011, 09:23 AM
People need to understand that the closing of failing businesses is a positive. That whole strip across the street from Big Truck Tacos is ripe for something, maybe another wig shop
But that's just it, it wasn't a failing business.

MustangGT
01-13-2011, 09:31 AM
But that's just it, it wasn't a failing business.

Maybe not but it is obvious that Cheevers Catering was a more successful play since they are moving into that space and not the other way around. It would be silly to expand a less successful business into a more successful one.

OKCMallen
01-13-2011, 12:22 PM
Sure, but then again you should probably be level headed enough to realize you're being overly sensitive and a little too close to the topic. I mean give me a break, there are hundreds of threads on this forum that would probably offend or at least somewhat bother whomever the thread is directed at. 'Class' is the last thing most threads are about and I'm cool with that.

Well. Everyone with an opinion on it thinks you're being a bit of a jerk. Do you think everyone else is right, or that just you are?

Most people on the board try not to step on toes. You're not a newb, and this isn't the political forum- you should know this.

You were corrected by tuck, then decided to just go on blathering refusing to admit you might have been factually wrong, then kinda rude. Cheer up man. This place is a positive place most of the time.

BBatesokc
01-14-2011, 03:57 AM
Everyone with an opinion on it thinks you're being a bit of a jerk. Wow, you really think alot you your opinion don't you. I forget you and metro speak for everyone here.

Actually, I looked to several resources and 'Bit The Dust' is still appropriate as most every definition includes "coming to an end" without requiring, heaven forbid, 'failure'. And, Tuck didn't 'correct' anything, he just got his feelings hurt over nothing. And, just because someone with a business says, "Things were great, we were making lots of money, we just decided to close the very successful business and not relocate it because we can" doesn't make it the totality of the truth.

Edmond Earl
01-14-2011, 06:20 AM
Bottom line...It just wasn't very good.

BBatesokc
01-14-2011, 06:43 AM
Bottom line...It just wasn't very good.

Not when you consider their customer service was lacking and for their price you could easily go out and eat. It was one of those places where I knew a couple of people who loved and it and many who didn't.

Roadhawg
01-14-2011, 07:09 AM
Not when you consider their customer service was lacking and for their price you could easily go out and eat. It was one of those places where I knew a couple of people who loved and it and many who didn't.

That could be said for several business's. including yours

OKCMallen
01-14-2011, 08:05 AM
Wow, you really think alot you your opinion don't you. I forget you and metro speak for everyone here.

Actually, I looked to several resources and 'Bit The Dust' is still appropriate as most every definition includes "coming to an end" without requiring, heaven forbid, 'failure'. And, Tuck didn't 'correct' anything, he just got his feelings hurt over nothing. And, just because someone with a business says, "Things were great, we were making lots of money, we just decided to close the very successful business and not relocate it because we can" doesn't make it the totality of the truth.

You're bringing a knife to a gunfight. We can stop now- you're just embarrassing yourself.

And what's your business? I'd love to know.

Steve
01-14-2011, 09:02 AM
Bottom line (to borrow phrase from Edmond Earl): What I understand is Market C wasn't "a failing business." Instead, from what I've been told, it was a moderately successful business that gave way to a business that makes more money for Good Egg (catering). It's business guys ... Good Egg's catering operation is, by all accounts, flourishing.
Say that Iron Starr on campus corner "bit the dust," and you'll be correct. But truth be told, it's difficult to think of a restaurant along campus corner that hasn't bit the dust. It's a tough set up out there for eateries, though I can't understand why.

kevinpate
01-14-2011, 09:49 AM
Bottom line (to borrow phrase from Edmond Earl): What I understand is Market C wasn't "a failing business." Instead, from what I've been told, it was a moderately successful business that gave way to a business that makes more money for Good Egg (catering). It's business guys ... Good Egg's catering operation is, by all accounts, flourishing.
Say that Iron Starr on campus corner "bit the dust," and you'll be correct. But truth be told, it's difficult to think of a restaurant along campus corner that hasn't bit the dust. It's a tough set up out there for eateries, though I can't understand why.

Some places on CC stand the test of time. Some don't last a year. Been that way for the 25+ years I've lived down here.

Steve
01-14-2011, 10:08 AM
What restaurants on Campus Corner have stood the test of time? I guess La Luna has been there awhile... have others been there more than a few years?

onthestrip
01-14-2011, 10:10 AM
You're bringing a knife to a gunfight. We can stop now- you're just embarrassing yourself.

And what's your business? I'd love to know.

You dont know his business Mallen? Bates is in the business of hiding out with a camera trying to catch acts of prostitution (for whatever reason). He's quite the prostitution citizen cop, I hear his customer service sucks though.

OKCMallen
01-14-2011, 10:15 AM
What restaurants on Campus Corner have stood the test of time? I guess La Luna has been there awhile... have others been there more than a few years?

Victoria's has been there a long time.

CC is a very fickle beast. I wonder if it's the parking that makes it tough for restaurants with bigger footprints.

OKCMallen
01-14-2011, 10:17 AM
You dont know his business Mallen? Bates is in the business of hiding out with a camera trying to catch acts of prostitution (for whatever reason). He's quite the prostitution citizen cop, I hear his customer service sucks though.

I have no idea what Bates does. What I do know is that he's being a bit of a jerk, even when corrected, and I'm pretty sure he wouldn't ever be so obtuse in person to tuck or anyone else. I'd like to know what he does so I can try to understand why he's being combative instead of collaborative, and also so that I can avoid his business.

mattjank
01-14-2011, 10:23 AM

I've only been in Norman for 7.5 yrs, but during that time the constants on CC have been Victorias, Othellos, Totos, La Luna, Hideaway, NY Pizza, Cafe Plaid and Pepe Delgados.

MustangGT
01-14-2011, 10:42 AM
That is pretty competent competition to go against. Othellos was there when I was in school at OU.

Bigrayok
01-14-2011, 10:45 AM
Victoria's, Othellos, and Toto's have been on Campus Corner for 20 plus years. Victoria's and Othellos have had more than one owner. Brothers has been there for over 20 years but it has seen changes too. Campus Corner seems to be a tough place for restaurants. Remember Al Eschbach's? One of the reasons Bob Stoops invested in Louie's on campus Corner was to liven Campus Corner up. Hopefully, Louie's and O'Connell's can help bring some stability to Campus Corner.

Bigray in Ok

Roadhawg
01-14-2011, 01:04 PM
I have no idea what Bates does. What I do know is that he's being a bit of a jerk, even when corrected, and I'm pretty sure he wouldn't ever be so obtuse in person to tuck or anyone else. I'd like to know what he does so I can try to understand why he's being combative instead of collaborative, and also so that I can avoid his business.

That's what he does ... he's the guy than chases down hookers with his video camera and from what I heard in the past has paid them to set some poor guys up so he has his footage, not saying that's true but what I heard.

BBatesokc
01-14-2011, 01:24 PM
I'm pretty sure he wouldn't ever be so obtuse in person to tuck or anyone else.

If you knew me you'd know I don't mind saying what's on my mind to anyone, in person or otherwise. One reason I'm one of the few who doesn't use anonymity online to give me confidence to spew B.S.

kevinpate
01-14-2011, 03:44 PM
Steve, sorry to be late back to the party. Been playing with grandkiddos. Y'all be fun, but yeah, no contest on who be funner.

Bigray hit it pretty well in #37. Add to the long term mix Orient Express, another long time player. Not my watering hole, but I imagine Sugar's is still slinging beer at frat boys, and others, who are willing to pay the cover to observe the semi-sorta covered.

One I still miss, even though it's been near on forever since it left, was Town Tavern.

Steve
01-14-2011, 08:24 PM
I've only been in Norman for 7.5 yrs, but during that time the constants on CC have been Victorias, Othellos, Totos, La Luna, Hideaway, NY Pizza, Cafe Plaid and Pepe Delgados.

Not being a Campus Corner regular, my question was sincere. Because it seems as if the casual observer only hears about the failures.

icecold
01-14-2011, 11:04 PM

I would say I went to Market C about 25 times when it was open. I never experienced bad customer service. The price point didnt bother me, (I mean do I wish it were cheaper, of course). I think some people liked the appeal of being able to stop and get restaurant quality food that they could reheat at home. Some people like to stay home once they get home from work. I for one will miss their chicken strips, portabello relleno and being able to buy some pops soda when I was in there.

metro
01-15-2011, 09:14 AM
Good Egg also ended their management relationship with POPS.

okclee
01-16-2011, 10:47 AM

??

Steve
01-16-2011, 12:13 PM
okclee, not to answer for Tuck, but it was my understanding that the business model was based on operating Market C out of the same building, same staff as catering. A separate location might not have the same ability to cash flow....

Pete
01-16-2011, 12:23 PM
Regarding Campus Corner, Louie's has already been there about five years and before that Town Tavern was there forever.

As for AGE, it seems pretty obvious they are focusing on those businesses that are really thriving. When you have big hits like Cheevers, the orignal Iron Starr and now RePUBlic, why dilute your time and attention on endeavors that aren't yielding the same great results?

I'm just glad they are around and providing OKC with some great dining options in primarily historic, beautifully remodeled buildings. They are one of the best things OKC has going for it and whatever makes them more successful is only going to be good for the community.

kevinpate
01-16-2011, 01:59 PM
Regarding Campus Corner, Louie's has already been there about five years and before that Town Tavern was there forever.

With a small handful of short timers in between the two. And while I'm not a fan personally, Louie's does appear to have adequate staying power that some others have lacked.

BoulderSooner
01-16-2011, 03:04 PM
the sad thing about iron star closing in norman .. is that they saw that as their big "growth" vehicle. now i guess they will have to rethink their growth plan ..

onthestrip
01-16-2011, 08:07 PM
the sad thing about iron star closing in norman .. is that they saw that as their big "growth" vehicle. now i guess they will have to rethink their growth plan ..

I remember them saying that too. Interesting to see where they go from here. Again, it could have been that the campus corner location didnt suit them very well. Iron Starr is something that might have done better by locating off I35 ala the Norman Teds.

ImTheDude
01-17-2011, 09:48 AM
IMO, Iron Starr would do very well in Edmond.....atleast I would to have them up here.

okclee
01-17-2011, 10:09 AM
okclee, not to answer for Tuck, but it was my understanding that the business model was based on operating Market C out of the same building, same staff as catering. A separate location might not have the same ability to cash flow....

I suspected that was the case too, very sad to see Market C closed.

Doesn't Good Egg own the small building on the south east corner of 23rd and Hudson? This has been vacant for the last few years, could be an easy setup to sell a few items out of here?

Also, if anyone is listening.... I think a small New York style pizza parlor could make a nice addition to Uptown 23. (Think Falcone's the original N. May, when it first opened.)

OKCMallen
01-18-2011, 03:04 PM
If you knew me you'd know I don't mind saying what's on my mind to anyone, in person or otherwise. One reason I'm one of the few who doesn't use anonymity online to give me confidence to spew B.S.

Well aren't you just enlightened as can be? ::eyeroooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooll Saying what's on your mind to anyone whenever you feel like it! Classy!

Anyway, I'm sorry about Market C. Only once would I say I had questionable customer service, and really, I didn't make what I wanted known, so I can't blame it 100%, and it had nothing to do with prepared food.

mecarr
01-23-2011, 05:37 PM
The only thing wrong with Iron Starr in Norman was that it was in campus corner, a very tough place to break into. I would love to see Iron Starr open something up in Tulsa, perhaps in the Brookside area. I think it'd do great, as there is not any BBQ restaurant in that area.

Debzkidz
01-25-2011, 08:00 AM
Guess the Groupon I bought for Market C was a big waste of money. I forgot to take it with me a couple of times I went, so not long ago I put it in the car so I would remember to use it. Now it's just more trash in my car.

BBatesokc
01-25-2011, 08:44 AM
Guess the Groupon I bought for Market C was a big waste of money. I forgot to take it with me a couple of times I went, so not long ago I put it in the car so I would remember to use it. Now it's just more trash in my car.

Groupon will gladly and quickly refund your money. I bought a Groupon to a BBQ joint that went out of business (I think it may have since reopened) and they refunded my money to my credit card the same day.