View Full Version : Where are all the former news anchors?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8

OUman
03-18-2005, 09:43 AM
Thanks oklacity75.

OUman

mranderson
03-18-2005, 09:48 AM
I sure did like Amy. She did an excellent job in reporting and anchoring, plus the fact that she was very attractive didn't hurt either. Thanks, oklacity75 for posting the info, because I always wondered what happened to her.

Yes. But of the Amy's, Amy McRee has her beat in looks.

Keith
03-18-2005, 12:29 PM
Yes. But of the Amy's, Amy McRee has her beat in looks.

Hmmm.....I don't know. It would be a very close race. I think they are both very attractive, and I know that Amy McCree is single.

http://mas.scripps.com/KSHB/2003/10/12/amyhawley_b.jpg
Amy Hawley

http://www.newsok.com/images/news9_mcree_200x150.jpg

mranderson
04-08-2005, 11:50 AM
Cherokee Ballard has joined the staff of KFOR as a full time reporter. She has been teaching and working freelance, however, she is now full time. Cancer still in remission.

Underling
04-11-2005, 07:41 PM
IIRC, when Channel 9 did their little piece on former anchors, they reported that Patti Suarez was living somewhere in Arizona and had a small business of some sort, perhaps selling knick-knacks of some sort.

I still have some movies on some very old VHS tapes (Sound of Music, 10 Commandments, Wizard of Oz and such) that my parents recorded in the early 80's when we were kids. It's still fun to go back and watch for the commercials and the news teasers at the end of each commercial break. Lots of fun Patti Suarez moments.

Keith
04-11-2005, 08:02 PM
IIRC, when Channel 9 did their little piece on former anchors, they reported that Patti Suarez was living somewhere in Arizona and had a small business of some sort, perhaps selling knick-knacks of some sort.

I still have some movies on some very old VHS tapes (Sound of Music, 10 Commandments, Wizard of Oz and such) that my parents recorded in the early 80's when we were kids. It's still fun to go back and watch for the commercials and the news teasers at the end of each commercial break. Lots of fun Patti Suarez moments.
I have always liked Patti Suarez...it was her co-anchor, Roger Cooper, that I could not stand.

BTW, does anybody know what Jerry Adams and Jack Bowen is doing now? They both had brushes with the law, which pretty much ended their broadcasting careers.

Randy Renner.....I remember when he was with Channel 9...he was an excellent reporter, and then he got into some trouble with the police, and he had to leave Channel 9. Last time I saw him, he was reporting for OETA, channel 13.

billywa
04-19-2005, 10:13 PM
Jack Bowen is selling Volkwagens at Cable Volkswagen on 39th.

When the wife and I were in the market awhile back, we talked to him and another salesman on different days. Jack put the hard sell on and freaked out the wife. We bought from the other salesman...

billywa

Keith
04-20-2005, 05:00 AM
Jack Bowen is selling Volkwagens at Cable Volkswagen on 39th.

When the wife and I were in the market awhile back, we talked to him and another salesman on different days. Jack put the hard sell on and freaked out the wife. We bought from the other salesman...

billywa
Wow.....talk about going from a well known newscaster to a no name car salesman, ole Jack really messed himself up. Thanks for the info, billywa, and I would like to welcome you to this forum:Smiley199 .

mranderson
04-20-2005, 05:31 AM
I would like to hear more stories about washed up celebraties and the jobs they probably think are demeaning.

Raspberry
04-20-2005, 05:39 AM
"I would like to hear more stories about washed up celebraties and the jobs they probably think are demeaning."

This is a hateful and ridiculous thing to write. What makes you think a job change would be demeaning? Most TV people work long hours that include holidays and weekend. There is very little job security, contracts that protect the TV station at the expense of the worker, and most do not make much money. Most TV people I know that get out of the biz are much, much happier.

mranderson
04-20-2005, 05:42 AM
"I would like to hear more stories about washed up celebraties and the jobs they probably think are demeaning."

This is a hateful and ridiculous thing to write. What makes you think a job change would be demeaning? Most TV people work long hours that include holidays and weekend. There is very little job security, contracts that protect the TV station at the expense of the worker, and most do not make much money. Most TV people I know that get out of the biz are much, much happier.

I am aware of the hours a lot of media people work. I have a college degree in the subject, thank you.

Now. Think about it. You are a well known celebrity who is recognized on the street daily, then you are forced to sell cars. Think about that. Besides. I said "PROBABLY think are demeaning."

Dave Cook
04-26-2005, 05:40 AM
Interesting thread. Really brings back some memories of folks I had forgotten about.

I remember visiting a girlfriend up in NW OKC around 1992 and hitting the swimming pool on a weekday afternoon. Just me and the girlfriend. There was only one other couple in the pool that day and it was Cherokee Ballard and some guy.....I'm assuming her boyfriend. They were rather frisky and making out the whole time. It was almost annoying. Even more annoying, I knew I recognized the girl but couldn't remember who it was until seeing her on TV later.

Anyone remember Ray Preston at channel 4? His wife was killed doing the story about the pilot providing rides without a license. She was killed in a plane crash while giving a demonstration. I knew Ray then and can remember how devastating that was. He is reporting in St Louis now doing quite well.

Whatever became of....

Dan Slocum
News 9 weekend morning guy Paul Stanley
Lola Hall

mpsosu
05-23-2005, 12:45 PM
Just an FYI: Bill Mitchell is the Senior reporter for KTUL-TV in Tulsa.

Keith
05-23-2005, 06:08 PM
Just an FYI: Bill Mitchell is the Senior reporter for KTUL-TV in Tulsa.
Thanks, mpsosu, I appreciate the info. I had wondered what became of him.

mpsosu
05-23-2005, 08:55 PM
You'd be surprised at how many former OKC anchors and reporters are in Tulsa now...just to name a few....Carole Lambert, Cindy Wall-Morrison, Bill Mitchell, and Taft Price (all formerly of KOCO...now at KTUL). Also, Russ McCaskey and Deborah Lauren-McCaskey (formerly of KWTV...now at KJRH). Oh yeah, and KOKI-FOX23 just hired Ron Terrell from KOCO as their sports director...strange move.

Dan Threlkeld (former KFOR meteorologist) is now chief meteorologist at KJRH. Wouldn't you think these moves are in the opposite direction???

I'm sure it's the same for former Tulsa reporters and anchors now in Oklahoma City.

Keith
05-30-2005, 07:02 AM
I was watching "The Daily Buzz" this morning on KAUT, channel 43, and I was really surprised to see Kia Malone on there. I'm not sure exactly what her position is because I barely saw her do a report.

She was always so prim and proper on Channel 9, however, on ch.43, she is rather wild. In my opinion, she went from a great anchor position at CH.9, to a so so position at CH.43.
http://www.tvspy.com/membership/headshots/25600035.gif

jhughes1963
06-01-2005, 03:31 PM
I'm not sure if Kia left Channel 9 KWTV on her own or if here contract was not renewed. I did notice her on Channel 5 KOCO, they welcomed her as a new addtion. However, after a few weeks she disappeared from Channel 5. I notice now that she is on The Daily Buzz program on Channel 43 KAUT. I do not believe this is a step down for her as someone has posted here. This program is nationally sindicated nationwide. She is getting a lot of exposure across the country now, where before she only had local OKC exposure.

4Strong
06-07-2005, 11:57 PM
Glad to finally find an OKC board on this kind of topic! I live in the New England area now as a transplant from Houston, but I recognized several people along the way with some OKC ties...

Frances Rivera of News 9 ended up at WHDH, Boston's flashy NBC affiliate

Heather Unruh of Ch. 4 is also in Boston at the city's top station, WCVB, doing the morning news

Reshonda Tate, also of Ch. 4, is a now a reporter at KRIV, Houston's FOX station...

Keep posting on this board, I miss OKC!

Keith
06-08-2005, 05:07 AM
Glad to finally find an OKC board on this kind of topic! I live in the New England area now as a transplant from Houston, but I recognized several people along the way with some OKC ties...

Frances Rivera of News 9 ended up at WHDH, Boston's flashy NBC affiliate

Heather Unruh of Ch. 4 is also in Boston at the city's top station, WCVB, doing the morning news

Reshonda Tate, also of Ch. 4, is a now a reporter at KRIV, Houston's FOX station...

Keep posting on this board, I miss OKC!
Hi, 4Strong, it's great to have you on the forum. I am always interested to see where all of the former anchors have gone to. I'll put some pictures to the names.

Frances Rivera
http://www1.whdh.com/images/rlivie/newsteam/reporter_68_small.jpg

Heather Unruh

http://images.ibsys.com/2002/1112/1781100.jpg

Reshonda Tate
http://www.simonsays.com/assets/authorkey/20412007/C_20412007.jpg

Jay
06-25-2005, 06:41 AM
Here is one that will stump all of you. Fred Norman

Does anybody remember why he left channel 5. I thought I read somewhere that he got in a confrontation on live tv or something like that.

mranderson
06-27-2005, 08:31 AM
Remember Amy Gardner from KOKH? One I personally find a very attractive woman.

She is now the director of the rehab of Stockyards. Too bad she has left the local airwaves.

Intrepid
06-27-2005, 09:13 AM
Here is one that will stump all of you. Fred Norman

Does anybody remember why he left channel 5. I thought I read somewhere that he got in a confrontation on live tv or something like that.

I remember Fred Norman while growing up. Him and Ross Dixon....who I think is still doing weather on OETA.

Weatherok
07-22-2005, 01:30 PM
Fred Norman has retired and is now living in Dallas. If you were to see him now you wouldn't recognize him at all. Television ages you prematurely. Fred looks 20 years younger and is twice as happy. He comes up to OKC quite often and visits his good friend Ross Dixon. There was a company called Weatherscan, actually founded by Gary England that housed some familiar names such as Merrill Teller, Rick Tasetano and Paul Bouchreau.

Intrepid
07-22-2005, 01:54 PM
Fred Norman has retired and is now living in Dallas. If you were to see him now you wouldn't recognize him at all. Television ages you prematurely. Fred looks 20 years younger and is twice as happy. He comes up to OKC quite often and visits his good friend Ross Dixon. There was a company called Weatherscan, actually founded by Gary England that housed some familiar names such as Merrill Teller, Rick Tasetano and Paul Bouchreau.

I remember way back in the 80s my parents buying the box called W.A.R.N. which I think stood for Weather Alert Radar Network. I would beep and flash all kinds of lights and such when there was a warning/watch for anything....including wind and fog. It worked great for a long while, then went caput.

The Profit
09-21-2005, 02:04 PM
I grew up with Bella Rita Shaw in Lawton....She is now 51 years old. She was the entertainment reporter for CNN until she was canned several years ago at which time she began doing infomercials...

drumsncode
09-22-2005, 08:14 AM
I grew up with Bella Rita Shaw in Lawton....She is now 51 years old. She was the entertainment reporter for CNN until she was canned several years ago at which time she began doing infomercials...

I went to a movie theatre maybe 20 years ago and happened to sit behind Bella. A handful of teenage girls spotted her and she ended up autographing pictures for them. She actually had a stash of them in her purse! She was beautiful, that's all I remember before falling into a coma!

EdwardEll
09-28-2005, 09:57 PM
Patti Suarez appeared in a couple of major motion pictures, not to mention television appearances and soap opera walk ons. News anchoring was her second career, and she was the top rated anchor in Oklahoma City. When Patti Suarez anchored at KWTV 9, the ratings often were higher than 4 and 5 combined.

okcerintul
10-04-2005, 09:44 AM
You'd be surprised at how many former OKC anchors and reporters are in Tulsa now...just to name a few....Carole Lambert, Cindy Wall-Morrison, Bill Mitchell, and Taft Price (all formerly of KOCO...now at KTUL).

And Jon Slater, chief met at KOKI, formerly of KOCO.

Also, Russ McCaskey and Deborah Lauren-McCaskey (formerly of KWTV...now at KJRH). Oh yeah, and KOKI-FOX23 just hired Ron Terrell from KOCO as their sports director...strange move.

I like the move.

Dan Threlkeld (former KFOR meteorologist) is now chief meteorologist at KJRH. Wouldn't you think these moves are in the opposite direction???

I don't like Dan as chief as much as I thought I would.

I'm sure it's the same for former Tulsa reporters and anchors now in Oklahoma City.

The only one I can think of presently is former KOKI reporter Jennifer Pierce, who last I heard was at KWTV. Oh, and KOCO's Aaron Tuttle, who used to be at KTUL. And Mike Morgan, formerly of KJRH. More than I thought.

jlee0414
10-17-2005, 06:20 PM
Does anyone know what happened to David Payne, KFOR weatherman. I haven't seen him lately.

voyager2
10-20-2005, 11:28 AM
Somebody asked about Dan Slocum and I am not trying to be gross or offensive, but someone told me that the reason he left was he was involved in that Mathis Brothers fiasco, most of you Okc residents will remember that. I think he left not too much longer after that. I am not saying its true its just what I heard.

mranderson
10-20-2005, 11:36 AM
Somebody asked about Dan Slocum and I am not trying to be gross or offensive, but someone told me that the reason he left was he was involved in that Mathis Brothers fiasco, most of you Okc residents will remember that. I think he left not too much longer after that. I am not saying its true its just what I heard.

For those that were not here or did not hear about it, what was the "Mathis Brothers fiasco?" I am among those that missed hearing about it.

okcerintul
10-20-2005, 11:51 AM
For those that were not here or did not hear about it, what was the "Mathis Brothers fiasco?" I am among those that missed hearing about it.

I don't know if it's true or not, but the rumor involved Slocum, one of the Mathis Brothers, and a gerbil at a gay pride parade. You can connect the dots. At least that's how I heard it, but I'm sure there are different versions of the events.

Speaking of Dan, and I don't think it's mentioned here, I believe he is now a news anchor at KOMO radio in Seattle.

Intrepid
10-20-2005, 11:54 AM
I don't know if it's true or not, but the rumor involved Slocum, one of the Mathis Brothers, and a gerbil at a gay pride parade. You can connect the dots. At least that's how I heard it, but I'm sure there are different versions of the events.

Speaking of Dan, and I don't think it's mentioned here, I believe he is now a news anchor at KOMO radio in Seattle.

Yeah, it's one of OKCs most famous urban legends. Seems like most everyone knows someone who was involved in that incident in some capacity.

For instance, I was once worked with a lady who claimed to be an ER nurse who just happened to have been working that night they came in to the ER.

:spin:

mranderson
10-20-2005, 11:57 AM
Yeah, it's one of OKCs most famous urban legends. Seems like most everyone knows someone who was involved in that incident in some capacity.

For instance, I was once worked with a lady who claimed to be an ER nurse who just happened to have been working that night they came in to the ER.

:spin:

I remember someone writing about this now. I doubt it is true. That is like something the defense tried to claim as what happened to a four year old in a child rape trial were I served on the jury. I did not buy it.

okcerintul
10-20-2005, 12:04 PM
I remember someone writing about this now. I doubt it is true. That is like something the defense tried to claim as what happened to a four year old in a child rape trial were I served on the jury. I did not buy it.

True or not, I doubt it had anything to do with Slocum leaving OKC. I first heard the story in probably '85 or '86. I don't think he left channel 4 until around '89.

EdwardEll
10-20-2005, 01:32 PM
The rediculous tale had many versions and all were completely rediculous and had no credibility. Many people think that Slocum's rival Jerry Adams, who was bumped from weekday newscast to make room for Slocum, initiated the wild tales. Adams had a serious drug and alcohol problem and was fired from channels 4,5, and 9 because of his serious problems. If you have seen Jerry Adams in the last couple of years, he is emaciated and shrunken as a result of many years of serious drug and alcohol problems.

okcerintul
10-20-2005, 01:39 PM
The rediculous tale had many versions and all were completely rediculous and had no credibility. Many people think that Slocum's rival Jerry Adams, who was bumped from weekday newscast to make room for Slocum, initiated the wild tales. Adams had a serious drug and alcohol problem and was fired from channels 4,5, and 9 because of his serious problems. If you have seen Jerry Adams in the last couple of years, he is emaciated and shrunken as a result of many years of serious drug and alcohol problems.

The Jerry Adams story has just as much credibility as the Dan Slocum story. Granted, Jerry Adams was arrested for illegally obtaining prescription drugs in the mid 90's, but he has been out of trouble since. He was not fired by 9. They chose to not renew his contract in favor of hiring Roger Cooper. He then left 4 in favor of a better contract offer by 5. He was not fired by 5, he left to become a marketing manager and ad man for Jim Glover Dodge.

Intrepid
10-20-2005, 02:01 PM
The Jerry Adams story has just as much credibility as the Dan Slocum story. Granted, Jerry Adams was arrested for illegally obtaining prescription drugs in the mid 90's, but he has been out of trouble since. He was not fired by 9. They chose to not renew his contract in favor of hiring Roger Cooper. He then left 4 in favor of a better contract offer by 5. He was not fired by 5, he left to become a marketing manager and ad man for Jim Glover Dodge.

I remember hearing a news story about something happening to him while he was living in Arkansas. I'm not sure exactly what it was, but he was working with race horses at the time.

Anyone else know about this???

EdwardEll
10-20-2005, 02:54 PM
Debbie Faubion, an attractive brunette, who was replaced by the all time ratings magnet, Patti Suarez, is still a popular anchor at a network affiliate in the carolinas

EdwardEll
10-20-2005, 02:56 PM
The last time I saw Jerry Adams, he was walking down western ave. around some inexpensive housing projects, and he looked like the skinny emaciated people you see around homeless shelters.

EdwardEll
10-20-2005, 02:59 PM
Liz Ayres, kwtv primetime anchor prior to Debbie Faubion, is a midday news anchor in upstate New York.

EdwardEll
10-20-2005, 03:00 PM
Barbara Wallace, the early evening anchor at KWTV during the Roger Cooper- Patti Suarez heyday, is a morning tv host in Hawaii.

EdwardEll
10-20-2005, 03:02 PM
Alicia Malaby, former reporter-KWTV is working at a tv station as a reporter/anchor in Northern California

okcerintul
10-21-2005, 11:13 AM
Debbie Faubion, an attractive brunette, who was replaced by the all time ratings magnet, Patti Suarez, is still a popular anchor at a network affiliate in the carolinas

Speaking of the Carolinas, I believe former KWTV sports anchor John Snyder is still a news anchor at NBC 6 in Charlotte.

EdwardEll
10-21-2005, 02:32 PM
Rich Lenz, another KWTV alumnus of the Patti Suarez-Roger Cooper heyday era, is now sports director and primetime sports anchor at a network affiliate in New Orleans, LA

magicchord
10-24-2005, 05:57 PM
I worked in OKC television back in the 80s and I can tell you none of those gerbil-related stories are true. They are popular urban legends that pop up from time to time (in fact, when I moved to Los Angeles, where I am now, 10 years ago, I heard that the same story went around there, only it was about Richard Gere).

I think I know who started it in OKC about the Mathis Bros. but I'll never tell. I guess someone added the Dan Slocum angle later.

I'm very happy to have found this forum. Much happiness, and watch out for flying chairs!

floater
10-24-2005, 09:02 PM
Welcome to the board, magicchord. But now you guys have me curious as to what the story was....

magicchord
10-25-2005, 10:07 AM
ACK! I tried to submit a link but your draconian board rules prohibit me from posting one.

Go to snopes period com and search the word gerbil and you'll get a good explanation.

Patrick
10-25-2005, 10:15 AM
The policy is in place to prevent spamming. Once you have made 10+ posts you will be able to make a post. Or if you really like this site a lot, help fund it by donating to it. See the link in my sig.

Todd
10-25-2005, 10:18 AM
Welcome aboard magicchord,

As you have already noticed for the most part we have a fairly organized and "clean" forum. Ironically it stays this way because of our draconian board rules. In the "old" days we would spend hours deleting free ipod links posted by spammers. We came to the conclusion it would much easier to institute a minimum post feature before new users could post links. This minor limitation is removed after 10 posts. I have no problems removing the limitation if you want to email me a request.

Patrick
10-25-2005, 10:35 AM
Hey magicchord, thanks for uprading to become a Premium Member. That's an easy way to be able to post a link, plus it's helping off-set operating expenses of this site.

magicchord
10-25-2005, 10:35 AM
Thanks.
I used the word "draconian" because I must have spent 15 minutes trying to disguise my link so it would post. That I couldn't do it is a testament to the thoroughness of your work.

But hey, I'm a Premium Member now! :tiphat:

But I still couldn't post a link. :(

Todd
10-25-2005, 10:40 AM
You beat me a again Patrick.

Yes, thank you magicchord for upgrading!

Please let one of us know if you have any questions on how to access your Premium Member features or hidden forums.

Karried
10-25-2005, 11:27 AM
http://www.snopes.com/risque/homosex/gerbil.asp

Here is another myth buster..

http://wildcatintl.com/partners/pnw/editorials/archive/ed_79.html

Welcome MagicChord!!

RockStar
10-25-2005, 01:54 PM
Weatherman Troy Bridges, formerly of KFOR, is now Chief Meteorologist of Fox 16 in Little Rock, AR. He wasn't here all that long, but I guess he knew Morgan wasn't going anywhere soon and decided to go elsewhere.

EdwardEll
10-26-2005, 12:58 PM
Bella Shaw is writing a column in a suburban Los Angeles newspaper, and also appears sometimes on infomercials.

EdwardEll
10-26-2005, 12:59 PM
Donna Gregory is on MSNBC as a reporter and fill in anchor

EdwardEll
12-03-2005, 09:43 PM
Ross Dixon, former KOCO-5 weatherman is on OETA public television's evening news as the weather forecaster, and still is a thorough professional and popular with viewers

EdwardEll
12-03-2005, 09:48 PM
Ann Halloran, an OU alum, was news anchor for KWTV in 2001-2002. The news reports about the matter said she did not get along well with co-workers.

Keith
12-04-2005, 12:23 PM
Ann Halloran, an OU alum, was news anchor for KWTV in 2001-2002. The news reports about the matter said she did not get along well with co-workers.
I think it is real interesting that when Jennifer Reynolds was about to leave News9, that she was really helping to promote Ann as her replacement. I didn't have anything against Ann, but she just didn't seem to fit in. Right now, AmyMcree is doing an outstanding job, and she works real well with Kelly Ogle and the other anchors.