View Full Version : Best Thai Food in town?

OKCMallen
11-10-2008, 02:06 PM
Recommendations?

bishop186
11-10-2008, 02:12 PM
Lemongrass on 2nd and Santa Fe in Edmond.

crouchingliger
11-10-2008, 02:14 PM
Tana Thai, just south of Hefner on May.

jbrown84
11-10-2008, 03:14 PM
Thai Kitchen at Harvey and Dean McGee downtown is supposed to be great.

OKCMallen
11-10-2008, 04:00 PM

I eat there for lunch soemtimes and it's REALLY good. I am trying to branch out to some dinner places.

jbkrems
11-10-2008, 08:03 PM
Ditto Lemongrass in Edmond!

rjstone208
11-10-2008, 08:34 PM
Sweet Basil in Norman. Sometimes slow service but best Thai around.

john60
11-11-2008, 01:42 AM
Thai Raja and Pad Thai in Norman are also good. Both around Jenkins and Boyd.

bishop186
11-11-2008, 07:08 AM
I've heard good things about the two in Norman but I've never been to them.

taylor83
11-11-2008, 09:01 AM
In Norman, my favorite is definitely Thai Raja. I haven't tried Sweet Basil yet.

In OKC, my favorite is Thai Kitchen downtown. They are very friendly there and their food is great.

BFizzy
11-11-2008, 09:38 AM
Sweet Basil is ridiculously overpriced. You can get better Thai in the Asian district for half the price of Sweet Basil. Pho Saigon has some really good Thai dishes and Thai House has a decent buffet.

cyn213
11-11-2008, 09:39 AM
Panang on SE 89th / Penn is also very good.

They also have a unique weekday all you can eat lunch special.

They list 8 items on a table card and you choose 4. The main entrees are cooked to order. You can have as many as the 8 items as you wish. The owners did away with the buffet because they felt the quality/freshness of the food was being compromised by sitting in a heating tray.

kk1104
11-12-2008, 10:18 PM
Thai Garden on S. Western. They opened up another location in Midwest City a few months ago, taking over Hong Thai. I LOVE their food, and the owners are very personable.

jungllejane
11-17-2008, 08:08 PM
the BEST thai in the metro is SALA THAI on 23rd...
my second choice is thai palace (used to be owned by the same ppl) in edmond on 2nd & fretz

John
11-18-2008, 01:00 AM
Thai Palace on 2nd & Fretz in Edmond.

Nick will take care of you and make anything you like, whether its on the menu or not.

He'll probably seat you, take your order, bus your table and be your cashier, too! ;)

Dave Cook
11-18-2008, 01:35 AM
I'll throw in my vote for the Thai Kitchen downtown. Fantastic food and the friendlist owners I've ever met in Oklahoma.

The husband (Thai) and the wife (Burmese) make for some interesting combination recipes. I hope they succeed.

Thumbs up!

Theo Walcott
11-18-2008, 03:03 PM
Thai Kitchen is also open for dinner....

lasomeday
11-18-2008, 03:46 PM
Tana Thai is the best! Their Pad Kee Mao is addicting and so good!

FritterGirl
11-18-2008, 04:06 PM
We go to Lemongrass (2nd and SantaFe / Edmond) quite a bit, because it's close by. Talk about good Pad Kee Mao - with all of that sweet basil in it. Yummmmmmmm....

I've also been to Tana Thai on May Ave (I think that's the one) and its pretty good, too.

I've not tried Thai Palace on 2nd Street / Fretz in Edmond although I go by it several times a week. Will have to give it a try.

I'm not really a big fan of the 23rd street Thai places. "Sala Thai" always smells like moth balls to me. Yuck. Not very appetizing. The food is okay at best, even though she's supposed to be the most "authentic." I've been once or twice and won't go back.

Also not a huge fan of Thai House, although I can see its appeal.

Haven't been in Thai Kitchen in a long time. May have to venture over there for lunch one of these days.

citizenkane
11-18-2008, 10:07 PM
My favorite Thai restaurant is Thai Kitchen, although Tana Thai is good too. Has anyone been to Bangkok Restaurant?

Norman>Edmond
11-21-2008, 10:19 AM
My Thai mother recommends the one on 23rd and Meridian (by the Gopuram)...not sure the name of it though. The Sweet Basil was good as far as food goes, but certainly not authentic.

angel27
11-24-2008, 08:11 AM
I was ruined by Last Thai (where Thai House is now on 23rd) and none of the rest (that I've tried) can hold a candle to it. They sold out during the 23rd street reconstruction some years back and I really miss them. But I'll continue to try some of these others. Bangkok is okay but not the one. I held high hopes for Lemongrass and it was good but not the one either.

pearlbluevtx
11-24-2008, 01:42 PM
will second PANANG's .... excellent. Ate there today!

Also, as mentioned, THAI KITCHEN downtown was my "first" Thai experience many years ago (ownership has changed a few times I think ... still good food)

They list 8 items on a table card and you choose 4. The main entrees are cooked to order. You can have as many as the 8 items as you wish. The owners did away with the buffet because they felt the quality/freshness of the food was being compromised by sitting in a heating tray.

tburn
12-11-2008, 03:56 PM
Elephant Cafe
38th & College - Bethany
440-2811
Open 7 days a week

Cute little place, they serve Fine Thai, Japanese, Asian Cuisine per the illustration on the window.

I had a Bento Box - cute little compartmented platter with steak teriyaki + tempura veggies + jasmine rice + green salad with mint cucumber dressing.

He had the Red Chicken Curry - 5 stars (spicy)

We shared an order of Bangkok rolls

The menu is vast and we intend to go back for more!

bretthexum
12-11-2008, 05:42 PM
Thai Palace on 2nd & Fretz in Edmond.

Nick will take care of you and make anything you like, whether its on the menu or not.

He'll probably seat you, take your order, bus your table and be your cashier, too! ;)

Yum - love this place. Lunch buffet for 6 bucks. Can't be beat

wsucougz
12-14-2008, 08:10 PM
My favorite is Pad Thai in Norman.

Best in the city, imo, is Moon Thai on 23rd. The buffet isn't that good but it's pretty solid if you order off the menu. High quality ingredients, good flavor and no mystery meat. Pad Kra Prow.

I used to like Sala Thai but it has gone downhill. Lemongrass in Edmond used to be Thai Basil and is pretty decent. Pad Thai south of 240 has changed hands but is still as good as the original in Norman, from what I understand. Had Thai House II buffet about a year ago and it was garbage.

ApplePearBerry
01-13-2009, 10:28 PM
Thai House...it's the closest to Thai food I can find here; however, I do advise you to pay with cash.

keving
01-14-2009, 07:29 PM
Norman: Sweet Basil (Downtown)
OKC NW: Bangkok (& MacArthur & NW Expressway)
Thai Stop (North on May from Memorial)

tburn
01-15-2009, 11:23 AM
Thai House...it's the closest to Thai food I can find here; however, I do advise you to pay with cash.

on 23rd West of Meridian?

I really liked Thai House on Classen, is this the same people?

MoeStooge
01-16-2009, 04:28 PM
Thai Palace in Edmond is excellent. Just be prepared to wait an hour to get your food. It seems to be a one man operation on a lot of nights. The one man, Nick, makes some amazing food though.

JerzeeGrlinOKC
06-02-2009, 08:24 PM

They really are serious about the freshness thing huh...whenever we go they seem to make our orders individually so usually my fiance is done before I get my food...annoying but I really think only one or two people are actually working in the kitchen.

Still good stuff though!

violeteyes
06-05-2009, 05:43 PM
Whoever didn't say Thai Palace probably hasn't been there! Mmm... might have to go there for dinner now.

alan
06-09-2009, 12:28 AM
Elephant Cafe
38th & College - Bethany
440-2811
Open 7 days a week

Cute little place, they serve Fine Thai, Japanese, Asian Cuisine per the illustration on the window.

I had a Bento Box - cute little compartmented platter with steak teriyaki + tempura veggies + jasmine rice + green salad with mint cucumber dressing.

He had the Red Chicken Curry - 5 stars (spicy)

We shared an order of Bangkok rolls

The menu is vast and we intend to go back for more!

i second this recommendation.

kevinpate
06-09-2009, 03:54 AM
There used to be a place, maybe still is, that a former staffer swore by.
I only went once, as Thai isn't my thing, but it was a staple for him as he dinna have many culinary skills.

Seems like it was between SW 44th and SW 104th on either Western or Penn.
Sorry the memory isn't better on location. It was on the west side of its street and based on its shape, the building likely a pizza hut in an earlier lifetime.

kk1104
06-09-2009, 12:04 PM
There used to be a place, maybe still is, that a former staffer swore by.
I only went once, as Thai isn't my thing, but it was a staple for him as he dinna have many culinary skills.

Seems like it was between SW 44th and SW 104th on either Western or Penn.
Sorry the memory isn't better on location. It was on the west side of its street and based on its shape, the building likely a pizza hut in an earlier lifetime.

maybe you're thinking of Thai Garden on SW 39 and Western? it's near SW 44

S_C_B
06-14-2009, 01:06 PM
Thai House on 23rd and Meridian is the best in my opinion.
They have a good buffet.
I love the combination fried rice with level 6 spice.

There's a new Thai restaurant on NW 50th and Grove called Charm Asian Fusion.
I tried it a few days after they opened. The portions aren't as big as Thai House, and neither was the flavor.

I won't give up on them just yet.

360-IM
06-18-2009, 01:54 PM
Having been to Thailand I'm quite picky and have yet to find one locally that's really good in an authentic way. Anyone been there and know of one locally that is truly close to authentic?

JNelson
08-05-2009, 01:13 AM
Sala Thai on 23rd and Sweet Basil in Norman

Euphoria
08-05-2009, 04:14 PM
They really are serious about the freshness thing huh...whenever we go they seem to make our orders individually so usually my fiance is done before I get my food...annoying but I really think only one or two people are actually working in the kitchen.

Still good stuff though!

I will 4th this recommendation.

The owner takes his food very seriously. It will be hot and it will be tasty. It will not be greasy, undercooked, or displeasing. If it doesn't meet this criteria he'll make it right.

I've been going to Panang since Mack bought the place back and the Evil Jungle Chicken and Massaman curry absolutely cannot be beaten. They also have some of the best spring rolls and fried rice I've ever had.

Oh, and the mango and sticky rice is to die for. My girlfriend almost cried the last time we went because the mangos at the market that day weren't good enough to make the dish.

However, the service is ssllllooowwww. They'll bring your food out when it's done, not before. And yes, there are only two people in the kitchen.

MsDarkstar
08-05-2009, 06:44 PM
I went to Charm Restaurant today on NW 50th, just East of MacArthur...same folks run that as the Sala Thai. It was very good; service was great, food was yummy. I'll definitely be going back.

XtraStout
08-25-2009, 04:36 PM
Tana Thai

thai garden

thai palace

ElmoFromOK
08-25-2009, 05:50 PM

I love that place.