View Full Version : Career Advise??

raw98682
11-10-2008, 10:58 AM
So, I love, love, love advertsing, marketing, design, photography... all of it. I also want to be in management someday. So I'm going to school for all this (Bus Mgmt, Advertising, Marketing) but I'm only a year in and it'll take me at least 4 more years for finish - not including the master's I'm after.
For a long time I've wanted someone in the industry to take me under their wing and teach me... show me the ropes. But I don't know anyone. See, I figure this person would have a perfectly molded employee to fill in when they're gone or pass busy work off to. Or a business owner who wants someone they trust to *one day* run the majority of their business. Where do I look for something/someone like this? I've been scouring the classifieds and craigslist for months and found nothing. I've sent my resume to marketing firms with no response. I don't know how to get my foot in the door. I know once I get a shot, I'll do very well. I don't know where to begin. Any ideas?

Thanks guys!

MadMonk
11-10-2008, 11:40 AM
Look for summer internships to get your foot in the door. I know this doesn't help you right now though.

FritterGirl
11-12-2008, 09:32 PM
You might also see if your school (I'm assuming college) has an "Advertising Club," or a student chapter of the American Marketing Association or Public Relations Society of America.

Many of these types of campus organizations cater to students and provide them pathways to career opportunities via organized networking events, and/or assistance with internship placement. They also frequently feature guest speakers who are professionals in the field. These professionals can give you loads of advice on how to get your foot in the door at various organizations. As MadMonk noted, a summer internship is a really good start...