View Full Version : Dekora

OKCMallen
11-05-2008, 04:42 PM
Anyone been yet?

namellac
11-05-2008, 05:43 PM
The Sushi place? Didn't it close? Or is this a new one?

metro
11-06-2008, 07:25 AM
No, it just opened. You're referring to Bricktown RAW that was on the canal. This is new and it's in the Centennial. Just opened. Some guy in another thread said he ate their the other night.

onthestrip
11-06-2008, 03:24 PM
Went last night before the Thunder/Celtics game. The server said they have only been open a week or so, obviuously no grand opening just yet.

The food was good though. Had 3 different rolls and the Pork Gyoza, all very good. This along with the Bolero place, which had the bar open, should make for a cool spot to eat and drink, especially before and after Thunder games.

ramart103
11-09-2008, 01:01 AM
Haven't been yet, but the Tulsa based operation is rooted more in "bar", than "sushi". That is what I've garnered from research on their site as well as reviews.

soonergolfer
11-09-2008, 09:56 AM
Does anyone know if In the Raw is fully open now? I was wanting to try it out before the Thunder game tonight. Anyone?

mecarr
11-09-2008, 04:19 PM
How does In The Raw compare to Gaijin Sushi on Harvey street? Speaking of Gaijin, they scrapped plans on opening a restaurant next to 1492.

OKCMallen
11-10-2008, 07:56 AM
IMO- Gaijin is about one of the worst I've had in the city. The Gaijin in Norman was much better than the downtown one. It's not like it's BAD, it's just not good.

OKCMallen
11-17-2008, 09:30 AM
Went to ITR Saturday night. It was great. Our server was a little patchy, but she seemed busy and that's to be expected in a new place. Food was outstanding. Probably better than Neko, IMO.

BDP
11-17-2008, 01:30 PM
Gaijin is about one of the worst I've had in the city.

No doubt. It is not good at all.

Food was outstanding. Probably better than Neko, IMO.

That's good news. I hope to try it next week. Is there anything original on the menu or is it your typical OKC sushi menu?

OKCMallen
11-18-2008, 12:22 PM
I think it's more or less pretty standard stuff with the few speciality rolls. I will say the Some Like It Hot roll wasn't all that hot. The Pink Ribbon (if that's right) was very good, and our favorite was the...I think Nirvana roll, which was excellent.

BDP
11-26-2008, 10:04 AM
My wife and I ate there last night before the game. We really liked it. Our favorite was the Blackened Tuna Sashimi. Very good. Next time we each getting our own serving of that instead of splitting it.

We also had a Spicy Tuna Roll (not spicy at all), Cody 2 Roll (our favorite roll), the Nirvana Roll (good, as well), and some tuna and yellowtail nigiri. I have to say that we liked everything, but I think they did the nigiri the best of anyone in the city that I have had. It wasn't cut too thick and you could actually bite into it, unlike so many places here where if you try that you end up with a sliver of fish on your chin. So, it was nice to see a place here get one of the most basic things about sushi right.

I think our only complaint was that nothing was spicy when it was supposed to be. I'm not a heat for the sake of heat person, but spicy tuna should have some kick to it. The tuna sashimi appetizer's chili sauce did have some nice mellow flavor with some creeper spice to it, which was nice.

So, all in all, I am really excited about this addition to lower bricktown and look forward to having a good sushi place downtown to go to before movies and games.

They also have some interesting looking entrees. I can't wait until they're open for lunch to get some fish tacos.

mecarr
11-26-2008, 10:37 AM
Last week my wife and I ate there as well. I believe it was a Thursday night and the place had quite a few customers. I really liked the atmosphere there, the lighting and decor really makes for a nice mood, much better than the flouresecent lighting that Gajin Sushi uses.

Our waiter was very nice and attentive. The only possible criticism is that when we first arrived, it took a minute or so of just standing there before someone seated us. But that's very minor.

The food was great. Each sushi roll we ordered tasted great and they were presented in a very unique looking bowl. We didn't have any appetizers, but we were surprised to see that they did not offer Calamari as an appetizer, since that seems to be pretty standard at most sushi places.

Perhaps my biggest criticism of the place is the music. First, it was really loud. I know loud music is the style at some places, but I don't think it's appropriate at a restaurant like this. Second, the choice of music. Many of the choices were hard rock. I have nothing especially against hard rock, but it'd be nice to have some variety, and turn down the volume so that people are forced to take notice of it every time it is played.

So, other than loud music, I'd give this place very high marks and fully recommend it.

BDP
11-28-2008, 09:08 AM
That's funny. When we went it was your typical ambient techno you hear at most sushi places and other looking-to-be-hip joints. But, we were there on a Tuesday before a game, so maybe it was just a more mellow vibe all around. Personally, I wouldn't mind a little rock and roll sushi place every now and then. :)

I remember this sushi place in LA that by the time the night was over it literally turned into a club with girls dancing on the bars and doing body shots. It was always kind of funny to watch the metamorphosis from 9:30 to 12:30.

jbrown84
11-28-2008, 10:40 AM
Do they have anything that comes out of an oven?

BDP
12-01-2008, 11:00 AM
They have lots of cooked stuff, actually, and a lot of it seems pretty interesting:

in the raw (http://www.intherawsushi.com/pages/intheraw/dinner-entrees.php)

I think I'm going to hit the cabo tacos once they start opening for lunch.

metro
03-20-2009, 10:43 AM
Went to the U.N. social last night and then ate with a friend afterwards.

I had the Cabo Taco's with the Alaskan Halibut (you choose from Halibut, Salmon or Chicken), it came with a side of chips and chipotle salsa. I can say everything was top notch. The taco's were probably the best fish taco's I've had ever, let alone in Oklahoma. And I was in California about 2 months ago and didn't get them this good. The salsa was excellent as well. Not a bad meal for around $12 bucks. My buddy said the sushi was good too. Will definitely be returning soon. My next stop though is next door neighbor Bolero.

mecarr
03-20-2009, 02:07 PM
My next stop though is next door neighbor Bolero.

Don't say you haven't been warned. I went there really, really wanting to like it. I came away very disappointed. Bad Food. Very expensive.

metro
03-20-2009, 03:00 PM
Oh I've been warned, just hoping things have improved and wanting to try OKC's only tapas bar (considering it sounds like there may be a high probability it won't last).

mecarr
03-20-2009, 03:23 PM
just hoping things have improved and wanting to try OKC's only tapas bar (considering it sounds like there may be a high probability it won't last).
I just went a couple weeks ago and it was terrible. It really gives a bad impression of what a tapas bar is...A tapas bar serves a whole variety of good, inexpensive appetizers. This place is nothing like that.

jbkrems
03-20-2009, 08:28 PM
In the Raw is NOT a tapas bar. Next door, Bolero, IS a tapas bar. And a tapas bar serves upscale, larger appetizers, not good, inexpensive ones.

mecarr
03-20-2009, 10:24 PM
In the Raw is NOT a tapas bar. Next door, Bolero, IS a tapas bar. And a tapas bar serves upscale, larger appetizers, not good, inexpensive ones.

I was referring to Boleros. Obviously a sushi restaurant doesn't serve tapas. And no, most tapas bars feature inexpensive appetizers. The idea is that you order a lot of them.

jbkrems
03-21-2009, 02:05 PM
Mecarr,

What other tapas bars have you been to - ? Yes, you should order a few of them. I generally order 3 and maybe a salad when I go to Bolero. That fills me up for dinner.

metro
03-23-2009, 07:50 AM

I didn't see where anyone was referring to Bolero as sushi.

jbkrems
03-23-2009, 01:52 PM
Metro,

Bolero isn't sushi. However, somehow I got confused with you and Mecarr's discussion of Bolero. I have been to both Bolero and In the Raw, and I think each of them are great restaurants for what they do.

Pete
02-05-2016, 08:57 PM
Finally got a chance to eat here and was quite impressed.

First of all, we didn't have a reservation and were lucky to get a table. They were packed.

Secondly, the food and service were top notch. Had the gyoza appetizer which was perfectly fried and served with a nice dipping sauce.

Then, had the chicken teriyaki. They call it a bowl but it was a big portion with veggies over rice. All very good.

Will be back to try some of their rolls. Really liked the setting and decor as well.

HOT ROD
02-05-2016, 10:15 PM
ok, now for the most important question - did it satisfy your West Coast Teriyaki cravings? ??

Pete
02-06-2016, 07:53 AM
ok, now for the most important question - did it satisfy your West Coast Teriyaki cravings? ??

Pretty close. It needed sriracha or something spicy to suit me, but I didn't ask -- will next time.

However, of all places the Japanese place in Penn Square Mall, Sarku, completely satisfied me. It's a small chain in the midwest.

It's one of those places that only make the chicken after you order it and they cook it right in front of you, ask if you want extra sauce, etc.

For $5.99 you get a healthy portion of good quality chicken, good sauce, well cooked veggies and perfect white rice. AND they have Sriracha in the big squeeze bottles at the end of the line. I will be back.

dankrutka
08-24-2016, 01:59 PM
This is being rebranded to Dekora (thanks for the correct name, Pete): http://newsok.com/multimedia/video/5096060912001#gsc.tab=0

It's interesting that they want to build this as more of a late night spot... It would help if the recently emptied businesses next door and below would also add to the nightlife in that part of the canal.

Pete
08-24-2016, 02:00 PM
Dekora!

Closing for a few days, doing some redecorating, tuning up their menu.

Bullbear
08-24-2016, 02:34 PM
I love the idea of Tokyo culture.. bright lights.. over the top.. I hope it is executed well!

Anonymous.
08-24-2016, 03:12 PM
^^ I agree. This concept will actually have the best shot at drawing some later night life to the area. Lower Bricktown actually is pretty cool on Fri and Sat nights. I think the breakdancing crews still do their stuff in front of the Sonic HQ on Saturdays. And It is always nice for a walk along the canal with some Coldstone icecream.

In The Raw has always been more of a 'eat sushi @ 7pm, then go out somewhere else' type of place. This could help to maybe keep groups lingering or coming to that area. She mentioned happy hour late night specials, that is a good thing - because ITR currently is very pricey to just "drink and chill".

Kemotblue
08-24-2016, 03:31 PM
I like that they are going to have later hours larger plate selection called shareable selections so group can eat and share their food with each other. Also Norms Doc Side curious about this New York company she mentioned and the retheming and expansion from a bar into a Pirate Themed Bar and Restaurant. They are keeping the old charm of Norms hopefully that means those rocking/glider tables.

warreng88
08-29-2016, 07:33 AM
How they roll: In the Raw to reopen as Dekora

By: Molly M. Fleming The Journal Record August 26, 2016

OKLAHOMA CITY – Anna and Drew Mains knew when they bought the In the Raw sushi restaurant that they wanted to make some changes.

But they put all their savings into purchasing the restaurant, so those updates were put on the back wok.

In the Raw originated in Tulsa and opened in Oklahoma City in 2009.

When the Mains purchased the Oklahoma City store in 2012, they were able to change the menu and the vibe. Some items on the Tulsa menu didn’t work in Oklahoma City. Anna Mains said the restaurant’s name has always been confusing to customers, especially people who come from Tulsa.

“A lot of people think we’re the same as In the Raw in Tulsa,” she said. “Our menu is different. Other people thought we were a raw food restaurant.”

The Mains started working with Robot House Creative on the new brand in early 2016. The company worked with the couple on the Rockford: Cocktail Den.

Part of Robot’s process with a client is asking about the spirit animal of the business. For the new In The Raw, the spirit animal is a dekatora, which in Japan is a decked-out truck, made to look almost like a robot, said Brian Winkler, principal partner at Robot House Creative. Also in Japan, there’s a decora fashion movement, where women wear bright-colored clothes. Winkeler’s partners Brett Grimes and Adam LeNaire took Japanese in college, so the branding design allowed them to put some of their Japanese knowledge to use.

“(Like the dekatora truck) we were able to take something traditional, and then cranking it up to make it big, bold and fun,” Winkeler said. “It will be a lot of fun for families and a great night scene for folks.”

The restaurant’s name is now Dekora. The restaurant will reopen under the new name in late October.

The logo has bright pink, purple, and green neon. It’s different than most sushi restaurants, which often feature a black or red design.

“(The Mains) are excited about launching in Bricktown because as locals see Bricktown, it’s not a place you’d expect a real funky, original creative brand to launch itself,” Winkeler said. “It will stand out and be a trendsetter for Bricktown 3.0.”

The district’s atmosphere can make it hard to develop a concept’s brand. The Mains wanted it to be hip and cool, making it an attractive spot at night. But they wanted families to come as well.

“It’s a very different look than what we have now,” she said. “But I don’t feel like it will alienate people that like In the Raw as it is now.”

Mains said she likes that it doesn’t have sushi in the name. Customers may have to do some research about the term while learning about the restaurant’s story, she said.

“I think it will be bright enough that people will come check it out,” she said. “We’re excited to have something that didn’t have anything from the past associated with it.”

The new menu will have some existing sushi choices, as well as other small-bites options. The quality of the teriyaki bowls will be elevated.

“The menu will be more like Toyko street food,” Mains said. “We will have a lot of cool small bites that mimic Japanese street food.”

John Knight
10-17-2016, 03:27 PM
From their FB page:

13178 13179

http://www.extremeyum.com/

Pete
10-17-2016, 03:29 PM
Going to a soft opening on Thursday and will report back.

Excited about this.

Pete
10-21-2016, 08:44 AM
Went last night and really like what they've done. I generally don't like tempura but theirs was the best I've ever had.

They open today at 11AM with the new concept/menu.

dankrutka
12-17-2016, 04:43 PM
Any other reviews of this place? What would you compare it to? What's the vibe? I know they were hoping to draw later night crowds. Is that happening? We'll be in town and I was thinking about dropping in...

dankrutka
02-12-2017, 01:14 PM
A group of us tried out Dekora! on Friday night because I really liked their rebranding Japanese pop culture concept. I'll just the food and ambience are good, but not great. I couldn't put my finger on it, but I just didn't feel the energy I was hoping for. The open tables (no booths or dividers) on the left part of the restaurant just had a bit of an empty feeling. However, they have a lot of rolls for low prices and a decent selection of beers. It's worth trying for yourself, but I just think they need a few more tweaks to make the concept thrive.

Timshel
03-21-2017, 07:37 AM
Finally made it here before the game last night and everything was good with one glaring exception. Ordered the steamed buns appetizer as my meal and instead of receiving actual steamed buns Dekora serves them on toasted Hawaiian rolls. Put a bit of a damper on what was otherwise a good meal.

shawnw
05-12-2017, 12:51 PM
If you've ever been curious about the Dekora (name and look) back-story, here's the explanation from Anna Mains herself...

https://youtu.be/vCkeoK2Op9o

baralheia
10-12-2017, 01:23 PM
Greg Elwell (@ElwellEats on Twitter) is reporting that Dekora will be closing after tomorrow night. https://twitter.com/ElwellEats/status/918551407262945281

Sounds like the decision to close was pretty sudden...

Timshel
10-12-2017, 02:02 PM
^

Too bad, but based on my one experience eating there I can't say I'm surprised.

bchris02
10-12-2017, 03:06 PM
^

Too bad, but based on my one experience eating there I can't say I'm surprised.

Same here. The sushi was okay but nothing great.

Anonymous.
10-12-2017, 03:33 PM
This group went from rebranding Dekora, and wanting to open the space @ Captain Norms. To now this..?

Urbanized
10-12-2017, 05:05 PM
They were saying grace over a whole lot (Dekora, Knucks, Rockford, the attempted canal place, involvement with Union at Sosa), and also the owners divorced. The're good people, creative, hardworking and actually good operators; they just got into a tough situation. I would expect to see a comeback story at some point.

Roger S
10-12-2017, 07:43 PM
They were saying grace over a whole lot (Dekora, Knucks, Rockford, the attempted canal place, involvement with Union at Sosa), and also the owners divorced. The're good people, creative, hardworking and actually good operators; they just got into a tough situation. I would expect to see a comeback story at some point.

Is Knuck's closed? Haven't been there since NBA playoffs last year.

Urbanized
10-13-2017, 12:09 AM
^^^^^
Not closed. Just listing places in which the operators have/had interest.