View Full Version : Looking for diners, drive-ins, and dives for tv show

Pages : [1] 2 3

Wheetbix1
10-23-2008, 11:55 AM
I am looking for the best Diners, Drive-ins and Dives that Oklahoma City has to offer for a cable television series on The Food Network.

We are considering the OK City area for a future episode.

I am looking for local joints that have a lot of character. They cannot have more than 1 location and everything must be prepared from scratch.

Pictures and menus are also great to have.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from the foodies of Oklahoma City!

Jeff Mandell
wheetbix1@mac.com

kevinpate
10-24-2008, 05:09 AM
Choice Cafe on S Shields, around 50th

Everybody's Favorites #2, near SE 62th and S Shields

There's no shortage of fun dives in the metro, check out eataroundokc.com for their list of Shady Spots of the month.

jbkrems
10-24-2008, 06:59 AM
Iron Starr Urban BBQ might qualify.

Tuck, where are you - ?

kevinpate
10-24-2008, 07:00 AM
.oO(Iron Star is a Diner, Drive-in or Dive?)Oo.

GWB
10-24-2008, 07:07 AM
What about Route 66 Pops, does that qualify? Never been there but heard that it is a diner type place, and a pretty neat one too.

westsidesooner
10-24-2008, 07:25 AM
R.J.'s Cafe at 42nd and N. Santa Fe. I haven't been there in a couple of years but I used to work in that area and had lunch there all the time. Great food, great environment.

taylor83
10-24-2008, 07:41 AM
Classen Grill
5124 Classen Circle
Oklahoma City, OK 73118

Classen Grill - restaurant, breakfast, lunch. Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. - Home (http://www.classengrill.com/index.html)

ultimatesooner
10-24-2008, 07:47 AM
Eischens

Steve
10-24-2008, 08:10 AM
Jeff, I'm a reporter with The Oklahoman and all of the above picks are good ones (Eichens and Pops are not in OKC, however). I'd also suggest Nic's on NW 10 - there's a nice review at Nic’s Grill: possibly the best burger joint in Oklahoma City | Oklahoma City Restaurants (http://www.eataroundokc.com/2008/nics-grill-possibly-the-best-burger-joint-in-oklahoma-city/)

I think you'll find Nic's, RJ's (is it still open though?) and the Classen Grill are good fits for your show. Nic's is filled with character ...

metro
10-24-2008, 08:21 AM
Chuck House (has been an OKC dive for decades and is very very good, but recently opened a second location). Ann's Chicken Fry on Historic Route 66 (NW 39th) in OKC is also a historic diner. Cattlemen's is an old cowboy type diner/steakhouse in Stockyards City district. I know Guy did a show on Leo's BBQ last time he was here, but Leo's isn't even close to real BBQ. Urban Starr isn't really a dive but it sure is good. Check out the BBQ thread for other local suggestions.

Oh, it's not a diner, drive in or dive, but tell your pal Guy Fieri? to eat at Red Prime Steakhouse downtown for dinner if you're staying in a hotel overnight!!! It won't disappoint.

RED Prime Steak Downtown Oklahoma City Gourmet Restaurant Dining Near Bricktown Fine Wines Steakhouse (http://www.redprimesteak.com/)

southernskye
10-24-2008, 08:26 AM
I agree on Classen Grill. Leo's is horrible and so is Ann's.

metro
10-24-2008, 08:27 AM
skye, I agree Ann's isn't great, but it would make great tv.

Steve
10-24-2008, 08:31 AM
Yeah, but if you watch the show, Guy is looking for our best shot - great building, great character with both the owner and customers, and great food. I'm voting for Nic's.

Midtowner
10-24-2008, 08:36 AM
Edna's is my favorite dive bar. Try the lunch box (it's a drink involving beer, amaretto and orange juice). It's located right around NW Expressway (Hwy 3A) and Classen Blvd.)

If you play Great Balls of Fire on the juke box, you'll have a seventy-year-old bartender dancing on the bar.

trousers
10-24-2008, 08:42 AM
Actually I think the whole Edna's, Classen Grill, Hi-lo area would be pretty interesting.

soonerfan21
10-24-2008, 08:43 AM
Pops would make a great visual for the show, with the 66 foot tall pop bottle out in front (lighting at night is amazing!)

POPS: Home (http://www.pops66.com)

ksearls
10-24-2008, 08:50 AM
Ann's would be great for the show. I like Ann's.

RJs has been closed for many years, too bad, it was great.

What about VZD, Coney Island and the Lunch Box?

Centerback
10-24-2008, 09:07 AM
Too bad Abraham's isn't open in the old location on Western.

MadMonk
10-24-2008, 09:28 AM
Irma's would be an interesting place to highlight.

tuck
10-24-2008, 10:27 AM
Jeff, seen the show many times. These places will definetly fall into your format.
1. Lunch Box - downtown okc
2. VZD's - North Western Avenue, OKC
3. Bunny's Onion Burger - NW 50th/Meridian, OKC
4. Taco San Pedro - SW 44th/Penn, OKC
5. Beverly's - NW Expressway, OKC

good luck-

southernskye
10-24-2008, 10:42 AM
The food and especially the service has gone downhill at Beverly's since they moved from the tiny building they were in at penn and NWX to where they are now.

We used to eat breakfast there often, now we are looking for a new weekend breakfast place.

metro
10-24-2008, 11:46 AM
Edna's is my favorite dive bar. Try the lunch box (it's a drink involving beer, amaretto and orange juice). It's located right around NW Expressway (Hwy 3A) and Classen Blvd.)

If you play Great Balls of Fire on the juke box, you'll have a seventy-year-old bartender dancing on the bar.

Also the Lunch Box diner would be good for the show and is good eats. It's been a staple in downtown for decades.

John
10-24-2008, 12:21 PM
Classic 50's in Norman is one of the better 'drive-ins' in the country.

jbrown84
10-24-2008, 12:36 PM
I'll echo

Classen Grill
Nic's burgers
Ann's Chicken Fry
The Lunch Box

tuck
10-24-2008, 12:46 PM
Just had lunch at Nic's for the first time...it has climbed to #1 on my list of Diner, Dives?

Intrepid
10-24-2008, 01:20 PM
R.J.'s Cafe at 42nd and N. Santa Fe. I haven't been there in a couple of years but I used to work in that area and had lunch there all the time. Great food, great environment.

That's the first one that came to my mind. I used to eat there all the time when I worked at the capital. GREAT chicken fried steak.

amylynn5656
10-24-2008, 03:21 PM
Edna's, the drugstore in Nichols Hills Plaza, Classen Grill, Jimmy's Egg, Ingrid's Kitchen, Bobos Chicken and, above all, Eischens.

jsibelius
10-24-2008, 04:33 PM
Surely he's not putting crap food on TV just because it makes great visuals? I love that show. If he's doing one in this area, I'm undoubtedly going to eat there at some point after the show airs. I would hope they pick some place that has good food too.

Sorry I can't contribute a name for your list, but it looks like you've got some good places to investigate. I'm glad you're thinking of coming here for your show. If you ever go to San Angelo, look me up. I can hook you up with the best places.

jbrown84
10-24-2008, 06:11 PM
Edna's, ... Jimmy's Egg,

I think he's looking for dive restaurants, not dive bars. And he said only one location, so Jimmy's Egg is out, although the original at 15th & May would fit his criteria otherwise.

dalelakin
10-24-2008, 06:35 PM
Pappy's Diner at corner of May and Reno and I will throw a vote out there for Nic's as well. If you decide on Nic's be interesting to see how the camera crew would fit in there while the lunch crowd was there.

If you want a place that is all home made Italian then you HAVE to go to Bella Vista on S Western I believe it is...

SoonerQueen
10-24-2008, 10:09 PM
We used to go to Beverly's a lot too. But since moving, the food just isn't the same. Go try Wellington Pancake House. It is located just before you get to McArther on NW 63rd. We have eaten there several time and the good is really good. I think they have an all you can eat pancakes thing, but their omelette's are awesome. My fav of all the places is Jimmy's Egg. but they close at 2:00pm.

metro
10-24-2008, 10:13 PM
Surely he's not putting crap food on TV just because it makes great visuals? I love that show. If he's doing one in this area, I'm undoubtedly going to eat there at some point after the show airs. I would hope they pick some place that has good food too.

Sorry I can't contribute a name for your list, but it looks like you've got some good places to investigate. I'm glad you're thinking of coming here for your show. If you ever go to San Angelo, look me up. I can hook you up with the best places.

You clearly haven't seen the show then. TV care's about one thing. Ratings! Now obviously the majority of the places are good eats, but some are obviously more for visuals. Visuals and story are what sells and keeps people's interest. Heck, last time the show came here they went to Leo's BBQ and I wouldn't even rate it in the top 20 BBQ places in the metro. They went to Leo's because of the story, not the quality of the BBQ. The story makes good tv.

SoonerQueen
10-24-2008, 10:13 PM
We eat at Bella Vista all the time. It is all homemade Italian food and it's excellent food.

southernskye
10-25-2008, 08:16 AM
We used to go to Beverly's a lot too. But since moving, the food just isn't the same. Go try Wellington Pancake House. It is located just before you get to McArther on NW 63rd. We have eaten there several time and the good is really good. I think they have an all you can eat pancakes thing, but their omelette's are awesome. My fav of all the places is Jimmy's Egg. but they close at 2:00pm.

Thanks we will have to go try Wellingtons

jbkrems
10-25-2008, 02:06 PM
I still think Iron Starr Urban BBQ would qualify.

jsibelius
10-25-2008, 03:37 PM
You clearly haven't seen the show then. TV care's about one thing. Ratings! Now obviously the majority of the places are good eats, but some are obviously more for visuals. Visuals and story are what sells and keeps people's interest. Heck, last time the show came here they went to Leo's BBQ and I wouldn't even rate it in the top 20 BBQ places in the metro. They went to Leo's because of the story, not the quality of the BBQ. The story makes good tv.

Clearly, nothing! Go back and read my earlier post.

bkm645
10-25-2008, 07:54 PM
Flat Tire at Ayers and University in Edmond, they have a wide varity of burgers that would be perfect for the show.

PennyQuilts
10-26-2008, 06:10 AM
Classen Grill!

tuck
10-26-2008, 08:32 AM
Flat Tire at Ayers and University in Edmond, they have a wide varity of burgers that would be perfect for the show.

They aren't in OKC. I would vote for POPS or Eischen's if they let let others in.

Midtowner
10-26-2008, 09:01 AM
I still think Iron Starr Urban BBQ would qualify.

As a 'dive' or a 'drive-in'?

I don't really think so. The Iron Starr is a pretty nice place, not a "dive" at all, IMHO.

To my mind, a dive is a place that has great food, but you don't want to touch anything for fear of disease and what not. Iron Starr just isn't a dive... and that's a compliment.

Edna's? Yes, dive.
Classen Griill? Definitely.

Steve
10-26-2008, 11:30 AM
Keep in mind the show's theme and the request - first, he's looking for a place in Oklahoma City. Edna's is a dive to be sure - but it's a bar. What he's looking for is an eatery. Watch the show and you'll see the most interesting spots are those that have a history, great building, lots of character and great food. Guy seems to be happiest when all of his senses are entertained. And for what it's worth, Guy is himself the most entertaining chef on TV. He's the sort you'd want to hang out with.
;)

SoonerBV
10-27-2008, 01:24 PM
In OKC, I would second the nominations of the lunch box, nic's and coney island (and leo's for that matter!). In Norman, you might go with, well, the Diner! Or perhaps Ozzie's at the airport. Down towards Goldsby you have Libbys...In Purcell you have Val's BBQ...In Ada you have Folgers (but only because Bob's aint what it was)...

Midtowner
10-27-2008, 01:38 PM
Ah well then.. by all means, a trip to OKC is not complete without a trip to the Asian district for some Pho.

My favorite is Pho Hoa somewhere around 23rd and Western.

I guess it's as much a 'dive' as anything...

And Steve, thanks for the clarification. I don't watch Food TV and when I hear the word "dive," my brain inserts the word "bar" thereafter. Maybe I have some sort of a problem :)

metro
10-27-2008, 02:01 PM
In OKC, I would second the nominations of the lunch box, nic's and coney island (and leo's for that matter!). In Norman, you might go with, well, the Diner! Or perhaps Ozzie's at the airport. Down towards Goldsby you have Libbys...In Purcell you have Val's BBQ...In Ada you have Folgers (but only because Bob's aint what it was)...

As stated above, Leo's has already been on the show. Ohhhhhh I just thought of a unique one that would be great tv that no one has mentioned yet. Annie's Runway Cafe at Wiley Post Airport. The planes pull up and take off right up to the backdoor of the restaurant. You can watch them though all the glass windows in the dining room!

Steve
10-27-2008, 02:03 PM
What's sad is probably the best candidate would have been Allen's at NW 6 and Hudson - alas, they've moved on ....

Drake
10-27-2008, 06:01 PM
Nic's.

The only bad part is that you never be able to get a seat if it was on TV. Its hard enough now.

fire121
10-27-2008, 10:39 PM
My DVR is loaded up with that show. I love it.
Just wish I had time to watch them all.
Good suggestions, but none that really jump out at me I actually see making it onto the show.
It would be great for our city. I think the show is probably recognized much more now than when they came to Leo's.
I have learned some pretty neat things watching DD&D.

kevinpate
10-28-2008, 05:16 AM
I'm having a hard time seeing dive or diner in some of these suggestions. I guess I'm not urbanized enough yet. neither Ozzie's nor Annie's are dives. Neat, fun, and tasty, sure, but I can't imagine ever referring to either as "There's this dive you just gotta try"

SoonerBV
10-28-2008, 08:58 AM
Someone made a decent point about how the place needed to have a "catch" or something unique to make the show. For that matter, maybe the chili cheese sausage-burger from Ron's might be a player. Half sausage, half hamburger and smothered with chili on top of the bun...

That's the kind of burger that might finally kill Guy...

fire121
10-28-2008, 09:20 AM
That is the exact type of menu item I was trying to think of. It seems they like the over the top type items that are unique to each individual place.
Good pick.
I was thinking maybe the cheddar burger at Earls but it doesn't meet the requirements.

mrbubba81
10-28-2008, 12:48 PM
That is the exact type of menu item I was trying to think of. It seems they like the over the top type items that are unique to each individual place.
Good pick.
I was thinking maybe the cheddar burger at Earls but it doesn't meet the requirements.

Actually had me a cheddar burger last night at the Moore Earl's....not my fave, just gotta say. The one on Reno is much better...food AND service. But I think, from now on, I'm going to stick to my favorite burger joint, Dan's Ole Time Diner. :bow:

lpecan
10-28-2008, 03:22 PM
Nic's really seems to fit the bill the best. Tiny, ridiculously crowded, but you'd never notice it unless you knew it was there. JT's BBQ in Del City, I think, would work, too. It has the same quality. Though, I think the biggest dive/surprise is Queen of Sheeba, which you'd really never go into unless someone told you to. Its also kind of a cool story about African food in Oklahoma. But its always empty, and I don't think that's probably what they're looking for.

ultimatesooner
10-28-2008, 03:41 PM
fat sandwich company would be good if they consider Norman part of OKC

jbrown84
10-28-2008, 11:40 PM
What about the Grateful Bean? Not a dive, but certainly a diner.

kevinpate
10-29-2008, 05:06 AM
> biggest dive/surprise is Queen of Sheeba, which you'd really never go
> into unless someone told you to.

New one to me. What makes it such a surprise? Pump your candidate mate, please.

lpecan
10-29-2008, 02:45 PM
> biggest dive/surprise is Queen of Sheeba, which you'd really never go
> into unless someone told you to.

New one to me. What makes it such a surprise? Pump your candidate mate, please.

It's an Ethiopian Restaurant in a rough shopping plaza on 23rd and MacArthur. Really rough looking on the outside. Quite nice on the inside. I really like the food, too!

Queen of Sheba: Ethiopian food in Oklahoma City | Oklahoma City Restaurants (http://www.eataroundokc.com/2008/queen-of-sheba-ethiopian-food-in-oklahoma-city/)

dismayed
10-29-2008, 07:02 PM
what about someplace like Irma's Burger Shack.

jbrown84
10-29-2008, 07:17 PM
He said one location only places.

metro
10-30-2008, 11:26 AM
It's an Ethiopian Restaurant in a rough shopping plaza on 23rd and MacArthur. Really rough looking on the outside. Quite nice on the inside. I really like the food, too!

Queen of Sheba: Ethiopian food in Oklahoma City | Oklahoma City Restaurants (http://www.eataroundokc.com/2008/queen-of-sheba-ethiopian-food-in-oklahoma-city/)

There's also a food review thread of the place here in the Food Court. I'll dig up the thread later.

JerzeeGrlinOKC
11-01-2008, 01:32 PM
fat sandwich company would be good if they consider Norman part of OKC

Fat Sandwich is a two-location chain, so I'm not sure if it would count Fat Sandwich Company (http://fatsandwichcompany.com/) . Plus the cuisine is really an original of my alma matter, Rutgers, so it would be sort of a sore point if they highlighted it here.

I'm all for Classen Grill, great food, fits the motif and definitely some good film footage. I would also suggest Saturn Grill, not really a diner, drive-in, or dive, but its pretty consistent with the "local favorite, fresh made" theme the show has been going with. Food is just wonderful.