View Full Version : Chicken Fried Steak

southernskye
10-07-2008, 03:27 PM
Who has the best one in OKC?

My teenage son has been craving chicken fried steak and mashed potatoes with gravy.

NativeOkie
10-07-2008, 03:37 PM
I have heard a lot about Ann's Chicken Fry house on 39th expressway.
Kind of a route 66 cult dive.

MadMonk
10-07-2008, 03:55 PM
Ann's Chicken Fry on NW 39th was good, but it's been a while since I've been there. There's also Chuck House on NW 10th.

metro
10-07-2008, 03:59 PM
Chuck House is wayyyyyy better than Ann's Chicken Fry.

http://www.okctalk.com/food-court/13901-chuck-house-any-good.html?highlight=chicken+fried+steak

http://www.okctalk.com/food-court/5613-anns-chicken-fry.html?highlight=chicken+fried+steak

OKCDrummer77
10-07-2008, 04:53 PM
+1 on Chuck House.

Swadley's BBQ does a pretty good Chicken Fried Steak, as does Cracker Barrel.

jsibelius
10-07-2008, 05:09 PM
There is a Chuck House in Edmond as well. I'll second the comment that the steak is better at Chuck House than at Ann's Chicken Fry. But you should really go to Ann's at least once. Just because. And just because their chicken fry isn't as good as Chuck House doesn't mean it isn't good. It's certainly worth eating.

southernskye
10-07-2008, 09:30 PM
We have been to Ann's Chicken Fry and I was less than impressed. The food wasn't all that bad but the place just wasn't very clean.

Swadley's BBQ is another place we have tried and won't go back to.

What are the hours for Chuck House?

onemoreokie
10-08-2008, 04:41 AM
Charleston's has a mean chicken fried steak as well!

kevinpate
10-08-2008, 07:03 AM
Kendal's in Noble. Well worth your drive time

ISayGoPokes
10-09-2008, 01:22 PM
The chicken fried steak at Cheever's is fantastic.

jsibelius
10-09-2008, 07:25 PM
We have been to Ann's Chicken Fry and I was less than impressed. The food wasn't all that bad but the place just wasn't very clean.

Swadley's BBQ is another place we have tried and won't go back to.

What are the hours for Chuck House?

Maybe you hit Ann's at the wrong time. We were there a couple of weeks ago and didn't see a "dirty" problem. And believe me...we would have noticed. We got there right at the end of the OU game rush.

dismayed
10-09-2008, 09:30 PM
It's not exactly chicken fried steak, but when you posted this I suddenly found myself craving a Steak Sandwich Supreme from Del Rancho. OMG those things are good.

southernskye
10-09-2008, 09:34 PM
Maybe you hit Ann's at the wrong time. We were there a couple of weeks ago and didn't see a "dirty" problem. And believe me...we would have noticed. We got there right at the end of the OU game rush.

It was a year ago, shortly after we moved here and they weren't that busy. Maybe it was just a bad day.

BradR
10-11-2008, 08:23 AM
my wife makes the best i've had...haha

but locally they have all pretty much tasted the same to me at the places i've been

bluedogok
10-11-2008, 09:48 AM
I haven't been to Ann's in a long time, well before I moved down here. Chuck House is where we usually go but I grew up on it and my parents still live in the area. My wife usually wants to go there when we are up there visiting, I still haven't found one as good down here....found some good ones here but just not the same.

Matt
10-11-2008, 10:30 PM
Swadley's BBQ does a pretty good Chicken Fried Steak

I could never eat at a place called "Swadley's."

Oh GAWD the Smell!
10-13-2008, 12:18 AM
my wife makes the best i've had...haha

but locally they have all pretty much tasted the same to me at the places i've been

I think that might be because most of them are probably using the same supplier, and the chicken fried steak is already breaded and cooked when they get it. The only changes between restaurants will be the oil they fry it in and the gravy they put on it.

mmmmmmmmgravy

metro
10-13-2008, 08:45 AM
I could never eat at a place called "Swadley's."

Your missing some goooooooooooood BBQ then.

Bostonfan
10-13-2008, 03:30 PM
Toby Keiths chicken fried isn't bad..

Ram4
10-13-2008, 04:02 PM
When I was in San Antonio, I had a great chicken fried steak as big as a hubcap at Lulu's Cafe. I know with chicken fried steak, there are two kinds of gravy You have the milk or black pepper gravy with or without sausage. Lulu's has no sausage in it, which I prefer. Same thing with the Chili's chain. What kind of gravy do these different places have?

bluedogok
10-13-2008, 07:51 PM
I think that might be because most of them are probably using the same supplier, and the chicken fried steak is already breaded and cooked when they get it. The only changes between restaurants will be the oil they fry it in and the gravy they put on it.

mmmmmmmmgravy
Chuck House does their own from scratch. I knew a few people who worked there from high school up until a ten years ago or so.

so1rfan
10-13-2008, 08:04 PM
Don's Alley Restaurant in Del City

Oh GAWD the Smell!
10-14-2008, 12:27 AM
Chuck House does their own from scratch. I knew a few people who worked there from high school up until a ten years ago or so.

Hence why I said "most". :tiphat:

jsibelius
10-14-2008, 09:17 AM
Your missing some goooooooooooood BBQ then.

That's a whole other thread, though. I had visitors this weekend from the self-proclaimed BBQ capital of the US (out in Carolina, where they eat something else entirely). They were very happy to be taken out for "real" BBQ while they were in town.

mmmmmmmmgravy

That's why we generally make our own chicken fry at home. You haven't had good gravy until you've accidentally spilled your strawberry kool-aid mix in it. http://www.curevents.com/vb/images/smilies/stirthepot.gif

metro
10-14-2008, 11:30 AM
jsibelius, I do love some good carolina mop sauce though. what did your east coasters think of our beef bbq with ketchup/tomato based sauces?

Oh GAWD the Smell!
10-14-2008, 02:04 PM
That's a whole other thread, though. I had visitors this weekend from the self-proclaimed BBQ capital of the US (out in Carolina, where they eat something else entirely). They were very happy to be taken out for "real" BBQ while they were in town.

Out in Carolina?

NEVER EVER NEVER trust somebody that puts cole slaw on a cheeseburger!

metro
10-15-2008, 07:24 AM
I just had Chuck House chicken fried steak dinner (with gravy like they are meant to be, not a stinkin sandwich). It was just as good as I remember and you can't beat a huge meal with 2 sides for $6. Definitely will have to return more often.

Matt
10-15-2008, 01:16 PM
You're

Fixed

missing some goooooooooooood BBQ then.

Maybe so. Thankfully, there are a dozen or two other barbeque joints in the city that I'm sure are just as good, if not better than anything Swadley's has to offer. And they have real BBQ joint names, like Earl's or Leo's or Mr. Spriggs.

tburn
10-15-2008, 02:47 PM
Anyone had the CFS at Cattlemen's?

we have birthday brunch plans there this weekend.
(and no I won't have the lamb fries.)

Bostonfan
10-15-2008, 09:12 PM
Toby Keiths isn't too bad

metro
10-16-2008, 08:21 AM
Fixed

Maybe so. Thankfully, there are a dozen or two other barbeque joints in the city that I'm sure are just as good, if not better than anything Swadley's has to offer. And they have real BBQ joint names, like Earl's or Leo's or Mr. Spriggs.

True, but Earl's definitely isn't close to real BBQ.

Matt
10-18-2008, 12:42 PM
True, but Earl's definitely isn't close to real BBQ.

Well, you definitely got me there. With that in mind, now there are only possibly another 22 or 23 other "real" BBQ joints in town that are just as good as Swadley's.