View Full Version : speed humps

westsidesooner
09-17-2008, 07:15 PM
Probably not what some of you were expecting to talk about, but......I noticed the last couple of times I've been to Norman for games they'd put in speed humps on some of the side streets. I've only noticed a few, but damn are they big. Are they all over the campus area or just in certain neighborhoods? I was north and west of campus corner on symmes. I caught the tail end of a story on the news about them the other night as well but didnt get much info. Does anyone else think they're a little overdone, what happens when someone not familiar with the street hits one and loses control of their car? Legal questions could be interesting. Any thoughts on these?

soonerjake
09-17-2008, 08:10 PM
They are all over the place. Between my house and Robinson they added 5!! Just a tad overboard.

dalelakin
09-17-2008, 09:11 PM
By Gan Matthews, NEWS 9

NORMAN, Okla. -- Norman city officials installed over 100 speed humps in an effort to slow down traffic. Many neighborhood residents welcomed the change of pace.

"There was so much really fast traffic before," resident Margie Baker said. "Sometimes, they go 50, 60 mph through here."

The humps are mostly found on residential streets. Carter Avenue boasts five speed humps.

"Believe it or now, a street as quiet as Carter will have folks driving at 60 mph," Norman traffic engineer Angelo Lombardo said. "These tables have basically eliminated that reckless driving behavior."

Norman currently has a total of 157 speed humps, 100 of them installed during the summer months. The city believes they help the speeding problems, but the community members' opinions vary.

"I don't like it because I just have a little Honda Civic, so it kind of like, you know, takes the bottom out a few times," resident Kristin Orr said.

Some drivers complained about the impact the humps have had on their cars.

"I see their purpose, but they tear up the car quite a bit," resident Chris Conaway said.

After receiving complaints from riders, Norman's bus system changed two routes to avoid the humps.

"It's very rough on their backs. It's rough on our drivers' backs, but most importable it's taken a toll on the maintenance of our vehicles," said Kris Glenn of Cleveland area Rapid Transit.

Fire officials also complained about the humps, claiming they're a nuisance when responding to a fire or medical emergency.

Next Wednesday, Norman citizens will have a chance to air their support or their concerns about the speed humps at a public meeting.

Thunder
09-17-2008, 09:17 PM
Well.... The firefighters have three options.

1. Go slow and have the building suffer more fire damage.

2. Take the alternative route and have the building suffer more fire damage.

3. Continue going fast and possibly flip the whole fire engine.

veritas
09-18-2008, 06:50 AM
Every development I've put in Norman over the last year and a half have had the speed humps as a requirement prior to City sign off. I don't think they will be going anywhere anytime soon.

SoonerBV
09-18-2008, 12:58 PM
I agree that they are somewhat of an inconvenience, but I do think they have helped slow down traffic in my neighborhood. They lined about 5 or 6 between Robinson and 36th. However, if they were going to install them, I wish they had considered putting them on Pheasant Run as you come in off the Interstate. A lot of people really drive fast on that stretch between the Applewood Apts and Crossroads blvd, and then from there to to Robinson.

PennyQuilts
09-18-2008, 03:18 PM
When you are talking about road stuff, you are talking about speed BUMPS.

Speed humps aren't the same thing although both can be annoying unless you are in the right mood.

OUman
09-19-2008, 08:13 AM
They've been installed in my area as well, and believe it or not, I've seen people going at 50+ a few times in the past while riding my bike between my home and the university, and there is an elementary school as well over here. Not to mention many bike riders that use Boyd all the way to campus (myself included). Those who are whining about it (I'm not including the firefighters and other emergency vehicle operators and bus drivers-they do have a good reason for not liking it) probably are the ones who drive over them at 30-35 over them (like I see everyday) expecting to get a smooth transition. Should work well to get them off their high horses when they see what their still bad driving habits have done to their cars.

Insider
09-19-2008, 08:43 AM
They installed several of these in my neighborhood in south Norman. I have found that if I drive 20 mph over the speed humps, I am ok. If I drive 25 mph over the speed humps (the speed limit), I feel like my car bottoms out and I am going to die! Thus, drive 20 mph or less over them and you should be fine. =)

rhgarrett
09-19-2008, 12:33 PM
Speed humps are a nasty intrusion as well as expensive (gas of stopping and starting) way to control speeds on side streets. Old technology and do terrible things to safety vehicles and people with back pains.

Hopefully soon Traffic Engineers will recognize tht spedsigns are as effective and certinally not as disruptive. Check out raadarsigns on the internet for more information.
Rich Garrett

veritas
09-19-2008, 03:17 PM
Traffic circles are also on the rise in Norman neighborhoods. I think they look nicer although you do run into problems with school buses/large vehicles as well as getting people to use them correctly.

westsidesooner
09-20-2008, 12:41 PM

Speed humps aren't the same thing although both can be annoying unless you are in the right mood.

This wasn't taken in Norman, but the signs are identical.

http://img.groundspeak.com/waymarking/display/669599ea-9912-4115-b7f6-8d96f57d1fde.jpg

Intrepid
09-20-2008, 07:28 PM

LOL!

I was thinking the same thing. I've always heard them referred to as "bumps" not "humps".

zrfdude
09-21-2008, 10:55 PM
The batch of humps they put in this summer seem a little harsher than the ones previously installed. I can drive 25 over the humps in Oakhurst with no problems, but the new ones, like on Miller/Peters for instance, seem to hurt my vehicle a lil at 25. I wonder if the city thought the old ones were a little too soft.