View Full Version : Best State Fair Food?

BeeEss
09-08-2008, 10:27 AM
The title pretty much says it all - where do you find the best Fair fare? For example, there's lots of places to get, say, an Indian taco, but who has the best?

I have one recommendation that is set in stone: there is a fried cheese stand that has a black and yellow sign that says something like "Hot Wisconsin Cheese" or "Fried Wisconsin Cheese." My friends can vouch for the cheese, but fried cheese isn't my bag. What they do have are fried vegetables - cauliflower, squash, onions, etc - all battered and fried. And man, is it delicious. Get it with the spicy brown mustard on the side... *drool*

I'm really feeling a turkey leg this year. Anybody have suggestions?

--b

ultimatesooner
09-08-2008, 12:39 PM
I love the root beer out there

NativeOkie
09-08-2008, 12:45 PM
Corn on the cob and corn dogs.

MadMonk
09-08-2008, 01:14 PM
I like corn on the cob, and knackwurst with onions. The cinnamon rolls are always good. I'll have to try the fried veggies, that sounds pretty good.

Karried
09-08-2008, 01:15 PM
I love those turkey legs.. Chowing down is always interesting... I feel all neanderthalish (I know that can't be a word but I'm using it anyway) ....lol

Luke
09-08-2008, 01:16 PM
Maybe chocolate covered bacon will be there!

Karried
09-08-2008, 01:36 PM
Let's hope not! I can't stand when syrup touches my eggs... I can't imagine chocolate bacon.. uh,uh..

hey Turkey's relatively healthy...until they deep fry it, ha.ha.

Notice the trend at the fair, everything is fried and fried again.

Yamaguchigirl
09-08-2008, 02:15 PM
I love love love the corn on the cob. Now I'm going to try the fried veggies. My mom and I always go together and share so we can have more. I also love the chocolate fountain in one of the buildings. The strawberry crepes in the kitchens building are good, too.

BeeEss
09-08-2008, 03:22 PM
Oh, man, I totally forgot about the corn and the root beer. I'm going to have to make several trips :)

John
09-08-2008, 06:08 PM
You nailed it! Wisconsin Fried Cheese! Gotta get the jalapeno ranch with it.

Can't wait!

Intrepid
09-08-2008, 08:57 PM
Funnel Cakes And Corn Doggies!!!!

masonsmomma
09-08-2008, 09:22 PM
Indian tacos are of course the best thing. I did read in the paper that someone is going to have fried pickles this year along with deep fried smores and steak on a stick. Also heard they are adding chinese food and cheeseburger on a stick. Sounds good to me!!

GWB
09-09-2008, 07:04 AM
The title pretty much says it all - where do you find the best Fair fare? For example, there's lots of places to get, say, an Indian taco, but who has the best?

I have one recommendation that is set in stone: there is a fried cheese stand that has a black and yellow sign that says something like "Hot Wisconsin Cheese" or "Fried Wisconsin Cheese." My friends can vouch for the cheese, but fried cheese isn't my bag. What they do have are fried vegetables - cauliflower, squash, onions, etc - all battered and fried. And man, is it delicious. Get it with the spicy brown mustard on the side... *drool*

I'm really feeling a turkey leg this year. Anybody have suggestions?

--b

I wish that place had fried cheese curds like they sell at the Minneapolis/St. Paul state fair. I love the tangy taste of fried cheese curds. Those cinnamon rolls are hard to beat--with extra frosting of course! :hungry:

Prunepicker
09-18-2008, 10:35 PM
Corn dogs!
Corn on the cob!
All the free samples in the Made in Oklahoma building!

CuatrodeMayo
09-19-2008, 07:41 AM
I grew up in the OKC area but have been to the fair only once or twice, as odd as it sounds. That being said, this is a great thread...I'm going tonight!

Where do I find said root beer?

kmf563
09-19-2008, 08:05 AM
Cuatro stop by an information booth when you enter the fair. They have a free book with all the event listings and a map of the fair. Ask them for directions to the best root beer. I volunteer out there and we have a listing for every item you could possible want as well as a listing of all the foods available. Sometimes the volunteers are new so if they don't know where it is, just ask them to radio headquarters and find out.

I'm pretty sure that's an item you can find on just about every corner though.

My favorite food is the polish sausage from the meatball factory. And the fudge inside the Cox Pavillion. mmmm.

Prunepicker
09-19-2008, 09:27 AM
...I'm going tonight! Where do I find said root beer?

Go to the InFAIRmation booth. They can tell you. The root beer is A & W.

tburn
09-19-2008, 02:34 PM
we tried the new chinese vendor (can't recall the name -- but it was the tallest one around!) and had the chicken on a steek + lo mein + eggroll.
the chicken was awesome & plenty!

later had the philly cheesesteak w/cheese & grilled onions/peppers - vendor outside Modern Living bldg I think

was disappointed could not find the banana/pineapple/strawberry on a stick covered in chocolate -- there is a booth inside the modern living (or other sales/booths bldg) with choco covered banana or cheesecake but its not the same as the combo stick!

CuatrodeMayo
09-19-2008, 09:17 PM
Turkey leg and a jug of root beer. Wife had pizza on a stick.

So good!